Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,818 members, 7,817,383 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? (10229 Views)

She Is Ikwerre And Not Igbo / Wike Is Ikwerre From Bini But Amaechi Is Igbo / Titi Abubakar Speaks Igbo Language As She Campaigns For Her Husband. See Re (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by XANDERBOY85: 11:45pm On Apr 30, 2020
YakubuAugust:
I feel like theres a lot of people disguised as Igbos on this thread.

I've never heard Igbos spout so much contempt for Ikwerres in real life.

They're not Igbos! You should have understood their gameplan by now! smiley

6 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Tiztonio(m): 11:50pm On Apr 30, 2020
YakubuAugust:

Different people using Igbo monikers trying to spite the Ikwerre's

9 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by agadez007(m): 12:00am On May 01, 2020
Interesting Video,But I have a correction to make where you wrote That food in Anambra is 'Nli',it is spelled and pronounced as 'Nni' at least in my part of Anambra,I think where 'Nli ' is used is in Ukwuani/Ndokwa,delta state

And secondly why are Some of you Obsessed with Ikwerre people,leave them to be whatever they want,I hate the way you guys make these people feel relevant

thank you

13 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Dedetwo(m): 12:02am On May 01, 2020
KenOne:

Impostor! Who told you you're from Ikwerre and related to Uche Okwukwu. My friend you're not from Elele not to talk of Ikwerre.
A true Ikwerre man Iwhuruoha in that matter will not say Ikwerre is Igbo.

Ikwerre, Emohua, Port Harcourt and Obio Akpor ancestral home is Benin, and since i was born my grand father, grand mother to my father and mother never told me that our Ikwerre has a link to Igbo.

Ogbakor Ikwerre has repeatedly rebuke those that says Ikwerre is Igbo, remember last year when Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo wanted to hold a world conference in Port Harcourt UST campus to be precise, Prof. Simeon Achinewhu then Ogbakor Ikwerre president general stopped them from holding that world conference that Ikwerre land Port Harcourt is not Igbo land.

The Berom and Langtan people of Platuea, the Ebira people Kogi and Kwara people speaks Hausa, bears Hausas names does that make them Hausa people.

This force attach must stop.

The bolded is not a name and very unintelligible to any language. It is simply a coinage. Ikwerre is bastardized. Most Nigerians can easily pass as fools with intelligence below that of animal. The reference fits squarely on the above poster. Berom is ethnic group, Langtan is a town and LGA, Ebira is ethnic group and Kwara is a state. In fact, Kwara is another name for River Niger. The people of Berom and Ebira may speak Hausa as official or general language yet they have their native language which is not Hausa. Every fool in Igbo land knows the meaning "ogbako". It is Igbo. What does Ogbako mean in Ikwerre?. The only thing I can agree with the poster remains Ikwerre are not Igbo for those fools who think so. Igbo people have strait of intelligence all over them and will never accept any group of people who claim ancestry to people who are characteristically not in the same ballpark with Igbo.

21 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Ojiofor: 12:09am On May 01, 2020
okpalaAnambra:
I was thinking jókwa greetings was only exclusive to Afikpo people of Ebonyi, I didn't know some parts of Abia like Abiriba and Bende greets the same.

Afikpo was formerly in Abia state and closely related with Ngboo people(Old Bende).

2 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by iwai: 12:13am On May 01, 2020
nyrish meka the history of ikwerre is from benin kingdom will are not igbo ask may say plz get that right ipob

1 Like

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by iwai: 12:20am On May 01, 2020
The Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare said his visit to Port Harcourt was in line with the tradition established by his late father.

“Following the footsteps of my father who came on a thank you tour after his coronation, we recall with nostalgia my father’s public service in Ahoada many years ago. Port Harcourt, and Rivers State is indeed a second home.

The Oba of Benin said his visit was aimed at strengthening friendly and close relationships between the people.

“I am here to strengthen the friendly relationship and close affinity of our people. History has it that some of the tribes here trace their ancestry to Benin. These include the Ikwerres, the people of Ahoada and Omoku,’’ he said.

He added that he was also in the state to meet with other traditional rulers to influence the process of development.

“I will meet with the South-South monarchs who were present at the coronation so that we can share ideas with them on ways of strengthening the traditional institution in Nigeria and ensure the development and wellbeing of our people.

“We would like to use this opportunity of this visit to appreciate the cordial relationship between the good people of Edo State and the good people of Rivers State,’’ he said.

He extended a special invitation to the government and people of Rivers to participate in the celebration of the Igue Festival

https://news-af.feednews.com/news/detail/ce2a2c3b0fed8c409cc2994fa90c03b1?client=news does calling ikwerre igbo becarefull

1 Like

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Dedetwo(m): 12:25am On May 01, 2020
iwai:
nyrish meka the history of [b]ikwerre is from benin kingdom [/b]will are not igbo ask may say plz get that right ipob

You are Edo not Igbo. There is no way on earth Igbo will accept Ikwerre on the same pedigree.

13 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by YakubuAugust: 8:57am On May 01, 2020
Says a non-Igbo

Dedetwo:

You are Edo not Igbo. There is no way on earth Igbo will accept Ikwerre on the same pedigree.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by YakubuAugust: 8:57am On May 01, 2020
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by caleboxylic: 9:29am On May 01, 2020
YakubuAugust:

Yes, there are. Majority of igbo here are fed up with ikwerre denial of their igbo origin and have decided to let them be. What I won't and will never accept is for the poorest and least educated igbo clan(Ikwerre) to be insulting the great igbo nation. Who and what is ikwerre? Nonsense.

10 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Ugwuoke347(m): 9:54am On May 01, 2020
caleboxylic:

Ikwerre shouldn't be discussed. Among all igbo clans, Ikwerre remains the poorest, and least educated. If they choose to belong to Benin, that's good for them. Nigeria won't last more 50 years because the reason for our unity (oil) is gone for good and I wonder where they will belong. When the time comes for the dissolution of this country, we will have minimum of eight nations namely ibibio/anang/efik, igbo, yoruba, Ijaw, hausa fulani, middle belt(Christians) , ,igala/tiv/idoma, and Kanuri.

Let's stop discussing about Ikwerre. Igbo nation is great with or without them

You are absolutely correct.
What makes these people believe they are desperately needed in Biafra I am yet to figure out.

Biko umunnaa let's leave these confused people alone to paddle their canoe.
I have been to their land, and I can boldly tell you that they cannot be real Igbos.
How can they be with the level of desolation and poverty evident everywhere in their communities.
Nobody should beg them to belong.
They are not like us.
I for one will prefer an all-Igbo homogeneous country of enterprising people.

10 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by YakubuAugust: 10:02am On May 01, 2020
Be weary, not all those that present themselves as Igbo on here are Igbo.

Take everything with a large pinch of salt.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by naijanaso: 10:04am On May 01, 2020
SLAP44:
Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo language. We the Ikwerre people knows that we are Igbos but oil politics made them cut states apart and set brothers against brothers.

But we are hopeful of Biafra, when we will unite with our brothers in one united country.

You are not Ikwerre at all. No Ikwerre son that knows his history will type that rubbish you just did

1 Like

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by caleboxylic: 10:06am On May 01, 2020
Ugwuoke347:

You are absolutely correct.
What makes these people believe they are desperately needed in Biafra I am yet to figure out.

Biko umunnaa let's leave these confused people alone to paddle their canoe.
I have been to their land, and I can boldly tell you that they cannot be real Igbos.
How can they be with the level of desolation and poverty evident everywhere in their communities.
Nobody should beg them to belong.
They are not like us.
I for one will prefer an all-Igbo homogeneous country of enterprising people.

They are igbo but have chosen otherwise.
So let them be. Igbo nation is great with or without them.

5 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Ezewuzie01: 10:10am On May 01, 2020
caleboxylic:

They are igbo but have chosen otherwise.
So let them be. Igbo nation is great with or without them.
Ikwerre are not Igbo. They have their roots in Benin.

2 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by michae1004: 10:14am On May 01, 2020
iwai:
The Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare said his visit to Port Harcourt was in line with the tradition established by his late father.

“Following the footsteps of my father who came on a thank you tour after his coronation, we recall with nostalgia my father’s public service in Ahoada many years ago. Port Harcourt, and Rivers State is indeed a second home.

The Oba of Benin said his visit was aimed at strengthening friendly and close relationships between the people.

“I am here to strengthen the friendly relationship and close affinity of our people. History has it that some of the tribes here trace their ancestry to Benin. These include the Ikwerres, the people of Ahoada and Omoku,’’ he said.

He added that he was also in the state to meet with other traditional rulers to influence the process of development.

“I will meet with the South-South monarchs who were present at the coronation so that we can share ideas with them on ways of strengthening the traditional institution in Nigeria and ensure the development and wellbeing of our people.

“We would like to use this opportunity of this visit to appreciate the cordial relationship between the good people of Edo State and the good people of Rivers State,’’ he said.

He extended a special invitation to the government and people of Rivers to participate in the celebration of the Igue Festival

https://news-af.feednews.com/news/detail/ce2a2c3b0fed8c409cc2994fa90c03b1?client=news does calling ikwerre igbo becarefull
iwai:
nyrish meka the history of ikwerre is from benin kingdom will are not igbo ask may say plz get that right ipob
I wholeheartedly agree with you that Ikwerres are not Igbos. I agree that they are descendants of Benin Kingdom. What i don't understand is why is it that every time there is religious crises in the North the Ikwerres always run to areas inhabited by Igbos for safety. Why did they abandon their kit and kin from Edo? Years back i witnessed first hand one ikwerre armed robber that was caught why trying to steal from an Igbo trader. When asked of his origin his response was that abum nwanne unu (I am your brother in Igbo language ) I expected him to speak in his ikwerre (benin) language but that wasn't the case. The only solution to this madness is if Ikwerres renounce Igbo names and adopt Edo names. Secondly Ikwerres should learn bini as their language.

10 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Ezewuzie01: 10:18am On May 01, 2020
michae1004:

I wholeheartedly agree with you that Ikwerres are not Igbos. I agree that they are descendants of Benin Kingdom. What i don't understand is why is it that every time there is religious crises in the North the Ikwerres always run to areas inhabited by Igbos for safety. Why did they abandon their kit and kin from Edo? Years back i witnessed first hand one ikwerre armed robber that was caught why trying to steal from an Igbo trader. When asked of his origin his response was that abum nwanne unu (I am your brother in Igbo language ) I expected him to speak in his ikwerre (benin) language but that wasn't the case. The only solution to this madness is if Ikwerres renounce Igbo names and adopt Edo names. Secondly Ikwerres should learn bini as their language.
Ikwerre say it is Igbos that copied their language and corrupted it. I am not saying they are right but that is what they are presenting as defence.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by caleboxylic: 10:20am On May 01, 2020
Ezewuzie01:
Ikwerre are not Igbo. They have their roots in Benin.

Tell that to Rotimi Amaechi and he will deny it.
I'm not here to argue with you about your origin or where you belong to but you have to do away with your names(ikwerre and emuoha) and language that are of igbo origin and introduce one of the languages in the present Edo state.

Nobody needs ikwerre for anything and shouldn't be allowed to be in igbo nation but we will allow the ones that have accepted their igbo origin.
Good luck in your quest to import Benin names and languages but you have to change your handle to Benin name and not Igbo name.

Peace.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by michae1004: 10:25am On May 01, 2020
Ezewuzie01:
Ikwerre say it is Igbos that copied their language and corrupted it. I am not saying they are right but that is what they are presenting as defence.
That shows you how confused the tribe is.
From being colonised by the Igbos to the Igbos stealing their language and so on. Another story an Ikwerre lady told me while narrating her origin is that they migrated from Benin and settled in an area which shares boundaries with Igbos. Due to that there was intermarriage between their igbo neighbours and ikwerres, trade and so on. The truth is that if you meet another ikwerre, he will tell you another story.

6 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Ezewuzie01: 10:27am On May 01, 2020
caleboxylic:

Tell that to Rotimi Amaechi and he will deny it.
I'm not here to argue with you about your origin or where you belong to but you have to do away with your names(ikwerre and emuoha) and language that are of igbo origin and introduce one of the languages in the present Edo state.

Nobody needs ikwerre for anything and shouldn't be allowed to be in igbo nation but we will allow the ones that have accepted their igbo origin.
Good luck in your quest to import Benin names and languages but you have to change your handle to Benin name and not Igbo name.

Peace.
You are funny. So if an Igbo tells you that Ikwerre are not Igbo, that Igbo automatically becomes Ikwerre!? Are you begging Ikwerre to be Igbo or what? Amaechi you mentioned married Igbo wife so it isn't surprising if he claims Igbo knowing the influence of wives on their husbands. Even FFK is now a Biafran. The Ogbako Ikwerre the umbrella body of Ikwerres say they are not Igbo. Go to the heart of Ikwerre land and tell them they are Igbo and see if you will come back alive.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Ezewuzie01: 10:36am On May 01, 2020
michae1004:

That shows you how confused the tribe is.
From being colonised by the Igbos to the Igbos stealing their language and so on. Another story an Ikwerre lady told me while narrating her origin is that they migrated from Benin and settled in an area which shares boundaries with Igbos. Due to that there was intermarriage between their igbo neighbours and ikwerres, trade and so on. The truth is that if you meet another ikwerre, he will tell you another story.
All the Ikwerre who I have met say they come from Benin. That's one thing they all agree on.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by caleboxylic: 10:36am On May 01, 2020
Ezewuzie01:
You are funny. So if an Igbo tells you that Ikwerre are not Igbo, that Igbo automatically becomes Ikwerre!? Are you begging Ikwerre to be Igbo or what? Amaechi you mentioned married Igbo wife so it isn't surprising if he claims Igbo knowing the influence of wives on their husbands. Even FFK is now a Biafran. The Ogbako Ikwerre the umbrella body of Ikwerres say they are not Igbo. Go to the heart of Ikwerre land and tell them they are Igbo and see if you will come back alive.

Stop using igbo language and import your ancestry language. What is the meaning of "Ogbako" in your so called ancestry language?.
Nobody is begging you to belong to igbo nation. You are not needed because among all igbo clans and present rivers state, ikwerre remains the poorest and least educated and hence intimidated.

You are Benin and that's settles it but to prove that, start naming your new born babies in Benin languages and not Igbo language going forward.
You should be ashamed of your grand fathers, fathers and sons for accepting igbo as their only language and not their ancestry language. You should champion this.

Peace.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by nextdoor84(m): 10:42am On May 01, 2020
My advice is simple! Success attracts many friends. How can little 3.5 LGA be giving a whole Igbo race headache.
Ikwerre this Ikwerre that. Please you guys should think deep and ignore these lots. We are even getting tired of them sef here in Rivers state, by next election we shall show them that Rivers do not belong to them alone. Greedy folks I tell you.

Stop giving your daughters to them as well, wonder why they hate you this much but you still allow your people to marry them. Educate your people.

6 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by BeardedMeat(m): 11:03am On May 01, 2020
KenOne:

Impostor! Who told you you're from Ikwerre and related to Uche Okwukwu. My friend you're not from Elele not to talk of Ikwerre.

Ikwerre, Emohua, Port Harcourt and Obio Akpor ancestral home is Benin, and since i was born my grand father, grand mother to my father and mother never told me that our Ikwerre has a link to Igbo.

Ogbakor Ikwerre has repeatedly rebuke those that says Ikwerre is Igbo, remember last year when Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo wanted to hold a world conference in Port Harcourt UST campus to be precise, Prof. Simeon Achinewhu then Ogbakor Ikwerre president general stopped them from holding that world conference that Ikwerre land Port Harcourt is not Igbo land.

The Berom and Langtan people of Platuea, the Ebira people Kogi and Kwara people speaks Hausa, bears Hausas names does that make them Hausa people.

Just responding to your Berom... But these people also have their native dialects which they speak alongside hausa. Does the ikwere people have any other languages they speak?

7 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by samictelecoms12(m): 12:27pm On May 01, 2020
angry sad
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 01, 2020
SLAP44:
Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo language. We the Ikwerre people knows that we are Igbos but oil politics made them cut states apart and set brothers against brothers.

But we are hopeful of Biafra, when we will unite with our brothers in one united country.

From Enugu state, you are now in Ikwerre man.

Inferiority complex.

Can you snap a picture of your village let us see since you are not proud of your fathers land and community.

Tuehhhh

Meanwhile Ikwerres are not Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 01, 2020
SLAP44:

I have always been. I am related to Uche Okwukwu.

In real life you need to be dealt with same way Ned Nwoko dealt with the boy impersonating as his son.

2 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 01, 2020
Deepfeel:
Ok

Ikwerre are not Igbos.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 01, 2020
KenOne:

I fully agree with you.

Ikwerres are not Igbos but Benins by extension. You are very correct.

Next time una see any Igbo man whether Ohanaeze or any miscreants trying to hold any useless meeting in pH, beat all of them up and send them home.....until they learn to respect that Ikwerres are not Igbos but ethnic nationality of their own.

Once Again Ikwerres ain't Igbos.

1 Like

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 01, 2020
gidgiddy:

Lets just assume you are right. Lets assume that the Ikwerre people are Bini migrants who settled in present day Rivers many years ago. I have two questions.

1) why did the Ikwerre people drop their bini names and language and adopt Igbo language and name? Why would they do this? Its not like Bini is very very far away from Ikwerre land.

2)If Ikwerres are really Bini people, why do some of them claim to be a 'distinct ethnic group'? Why are Ikwerre people not Bini people? Or maybe Ikwere/Bini people? Why havent we seen one single Ikwerre person ever come out to say he is a proud Bini man?

They are Ikwerres and Benin.

1 Like

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 1:18pm On May 01, 2020
XANDERBOY85:

So says a pathetic Igbo wannabe! wink

Ikwerres are not Igbos.
Anything Rivers state shouldn't be taken as Igbo exception to Obigbo anyways.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

2023: APC Should Give Its Ticket To A Southwest Muslim - Yoruba Muslim Scholars / Allegations Of Supervising Killings In Mangu Is False And Baseless - Army / N25bn ETF: Lagos State Government Distributes Offer Letters To 150 Beneficiaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.