Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) (88280 Views)

Many Trapped As 5-Storey Building Collapses In Onitsha, Anambra / Photos As 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ibadan / Many Pupils Dead, Over 100 Trapped As School Building Collapses In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Angelfrost(m): 9:58pm On Apr 30, 2020
Nothing really works in this country... Nothing like building inspection teams, and property evaluators... Even if they existed, the Nigerian factor or spirit of "settle us" won't allow them function efficiently and effectively!!!

Just look at that building... I'm not a civil engineer nor expert, but a cursory look will show clearly, even to the uninitiated, that that building had a very watery foundation, which won't even hold a four storey structure, least of all twice that... This is an unrivalled act of wickedness and greed!!!

The owner, contractor or building engineer should not be spared! They should be arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced to minimum jail terms of a decade for 2nd Degree murder or manslaughter! However, I know they will merely pay millions to the useless justice department and go Scot free! After all, what value has the lives of average poor Nigerians to those voted in to lead....

This tragedy happened in this same state not too long ago claiming multiple lives, and this trend was allowed to continue... There are many of such buildings across the nation, some already completed and being inhabited by people.

4 Likes

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Menance: 9:58pm On Apr 30, 2020
etibaba:
Logically if you had taken 5minutes of your time reading the write up you wouldn't be asking this question.

So as I didn't spend 5mins of my time, what's next?
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Fheelzz(m): 9:59pm On Apr 30, 2020
Are they not supposed to be on lockdown?
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by AmazingELixir: 10:00pm On Apr 30, 2020
shocked shocked shocked

Chaii!
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by etibaba(m): 10:01pm On Apr 30, 2020
Menance:

So as I didn't spend 5mins of my time, what's next?
That's the reason you asked that crappy question which you would have seen boldly written in the write up.

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Chidonc(m): 10:02pm On Apr 30, 2020
Abagworo:

Most of these collapse started in recent years probably a decade and half ago but prior to that 4 storey buildings were erected in their thousands in Aba and Onitsha with no news of collapse recorded. Most Nigerians believe the quality of cement is playing a major role in the recent collapses
It has nothing to do with quality of cement, standards were not met. Government regulatory agency are More concerned about bribes than good works. Engineers after collecting their cash will still short change the owner of the building. The biggest loser is the owner of the project and those who lost their lives

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Angelfrost(m): 10:04pm On Apr 30, 2020
Abagworo:

Most of these collapse started in recent years probably a decade and half ago but prior to that 4 storey buildings were erected in their thousands in Aba and Onitsha with no news of collapse recorded. Most Nigerians believe the quality of cement is playing a major role in the recent collapses

Nope... I disagree... You are trying to look for the easy way out.

The answer is simple... Negligence, and greed on the part of both contractors and building inspectors.

Same thing happens in road construction and rehabilitation... They cheat by using substandard materials in order to maximize profits. Even the worst cement quality won't collapse a building standing on a solid foundation of Brick and Metal!!!
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Olarewaju89: 10:04pm On Apr 30, 2020
Menance:
Hope no lives lost

Which kind question be this, do you read it at all?

No life lost, but people die undecided
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Menance: 10:05pm On Apr 30, 2020
etibaba:
That's the reason you asked that crappy question which you would have seen boldly written in the write up.

So you that had crappy 5 minutes to waste why couldn't you politely give an answer or face front.. Besides that was a rhetorical question.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by BUSINESSARENAA(m): 10:06pm On Apr 30, 2020
SamOyovwi:
This looks like a controlled demolition. It's not a structural defect

A controlled demolition and people where inside?

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Menance: 10:06pm On Apr 30, 2020
Olarewaju89:

Which kind question be this, do you read it at all?

No life lost, but people die undecided
Dude I didn't need your reply o.. tbh
Why una too Dy do busy body?.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Skmoda360(m): 10:07pm On Apr 30, 2020
Jesus is Lord.....Funke!!! Ayemilode ooooo.........error from proper structural planning of that building......na "managing of resources and use of substandard product for building" go kee em from this country... shocked

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Angelfrost(m): 10:08pm On Apr 30, 2020
mank1234:

Then poverty and poor mentality wasn't this much. Now we cut corners because of our pocket and lack of knowledge.

Leave that excuse sir... It's too lame!!!

A poor man will not undertake erection of an 8 storey structure.

Call it what it truly is... Greed and sheer wickedness!!!... It's not even lack of knowledge, they knew exactly what they were doing!!! They were merely counting on luck.

A lot of landlords build such poor structures for renting or leasing to innocent souls, but when it comes to where they personally reside, they invest heavily on high quality and safe structures.

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by etibaba(m): 10:09pm On Apr 30, 2020
Menance:

So you that had crappy 5 minutes to waste why couldn't you politely give an answer or face front.. Besides that was a rhetorical question.
Well I won't say anything after this to you cos you seem not to know what a rhetorical question looks like. Have a nice night.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 30, 2020
That's a sad one. cry

Inferior/fake building materials, faulty engineering drawings, greedy contractor... Any or a combination of these could have caused it.

RIP to the dead.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Skmoda360(m): 10:10pm On Apr 30, 2020
MetaPhysical:
I pray for their recovery and wellness.

Lord have mercy.

Listen, in US, Malaysia, Dubai, China.....these people have buildings reaching up into the clouds. They never collapse.

Why do we build 4 storey and 10 storey structure and they are all collapsing two per month?

What the fvck is going on?
They lack proper standard structural Foundation stage....we just build anyhow in this country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Cmanforall: 10:11pm On Apr 30, 2020
Abagworo:

Yeah, those places have solid structures still standing!
You seem to blame the cement here, which could possibly be one of the reasons, but you neglected the human factor. Back then people stones were cheaper and people used higher concrete mixtures. These days some of the builders and/or clients try to cut costs leading to such a disaster as this. Some will rather than encourage a mixture of 8/10 for 1 bag of cement as was then, now go for 10/12, or even higher just to have quantity but not quality. Of course, it can and had worked in buildings including storey buildings but does not warrant the risk especially in high-rise buildings.
I weep for the resources that just went down the drain.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by asahnwaKC: 10:12pm On Apr 30, 2020
Penny wise pounds foolish.plus....quack engineer ...oga manage 2 pillars e go work
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Angelfrost(m): 10:13pm On Apr 30, 2020
tonididdy:

Oh please spare this engineering details.
Anything could have gone wrong here.
Who in his right senses will build an 8 storey building with substandard materials.
A quack engineer would not even be awarded the country.
This is just one of many weird occurrences lately.

Who in his right senses??! How many Nigerians are in their right senses or you live abroad??!

What are you even trying to defend??! Weird occurrences indeed!!!
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Abagworo(m): 10:13pm On Apr 30, 2020
Anambralstson:
See the building that collapsed in Owerri.

No it is not. This one is Emeka Ihedioha's Hotel
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Menance: 10:16pm On Apr 30, 2020
etibaba:
Well I won't say anything after this to you cos you seem not to know what a rhetorical question looks like. Have a nice night.

You see how busy body have misled you.. Itchy fingers.
Men these days be acting like they take chloroquine tablets..
If you don't mind show me what a rhetorical question looks like.. proff oko
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by watchindelta(m): 10:18pm On Apr 30, 2020
But some people get mind chai staying 8 story in naija?
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Campusmyguy: 10:21pm On Apr 30, 2020
SLAP44:

RIP to the dead.

The house must have been started when Imo was on auto pilot as Rochas didn't care about anything. APC is a disaster in this state.

Don't quote me, I am going to bed.
why must u talk like a foolish man,what have Rochas get 2 do with these

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by 9iceprince(m): 10:21pm On Apr 30, 2020
SLAP44:

RIP to the dead.

The house must have been started when Imo was on auto pilot as Rochas didn't care about anything. APC is a disaster in this state.

As short as this Article is you can't read and comprehend the message.... So the building belong to Rochas right.... Ok I guess it is APC national secretariat..... Mumu plus

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by yommen: 10:23pm On Apr 30, 2020
SLAP44:

RIP to the dead.

Until people like you are dead and gone, 9ja no fit progress. What's the difference between APC and PDP? Tell me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Brenn594(m): 10:24pm On Apr 30, 2020
Hmmmmm...rip to all the victims buh smtimes it good to watch spiderman n other heroics related.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Brenn594(m): 10:24pm On Apr 30, 2020
Hmmmmm...rip to all the victims buh smtimes it good to watch spiderman and other heroics related.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by nkemdi89(f): 10:25pm On Apr 30, 2020
post=89041535:
OH LORD.
JESUS CHRIST.

A building that the construction is still going on?
8 storey building.
It is unfortunate that some of these trapped workers will definitely know that their supervisors were using some substandard products to erect this building, but they kept mute in order not to be fired.
Now, this is the result.
Just imagine how brutal it would have been had it been this malnourished looking building was completed, painted, beautified and it was rented to innocent tenants, all filled up!!
DAMN!! shocked shocked shocked

We only pray and hope there won't be MASSIVE lost of lives.

That should be an hotel.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by InvertedHammer: 10:27pm On Apr 30, 2020
Abagworo:

/
It has nothing to do with cement. There are many buildings built with the same cement that are still standing. Check the concrete mix ratio and quality of the mix, therein is the problem. Every monkey is an architect that can draw a building plan. Sometimes it is non-adherence to the building plan. A plan suggests Mix 1:3:6, the engineer makes them 1:5:10.

/

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by ALABACONNECT(m): 10:27pm On Apr 30, 2020
Likely causes

. Inadequate planning
. Poor building procedures
. Absence of onsite safety officers
. Use of substandard building materials
. Weak substructure arising from wrong foundation type or poor structural analysis
and many more.

Rip to those who lost their lives in this incident.
Government should try and look into the built industry to avoid such

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by SLAP44: 10:28pm On Apr 30, 2020
Abagworo:

And Dangote started producing cement around that time?

Hmmmmm, I understand what you are trying to insinuate but, there might be other causes.

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Nobody: 10:32pm On Apr 30, 2020
Idi Igbo stop cheating yourselves and everyone else! No one among us will leave this world with as much as a pin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

New Houses I Saw In Villages In Imo State Today - Photos / Most Current Promotional Prices For Top Quality New Zealand Stone Coated Roof / Decorative wall stone tiles in Lagos and anywhere in Nigeria. .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.