Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,448 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) (88256 Views)

Many Trapped As 5-Storey Building Collapses In Onitsha, Anambra / Photos As 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ibadan / Many Pupils Dead, Over 100 Trapped As School Building Collapses In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by WORLDPEACE(m): 7:44am On May 01, 2020
tonididdy:

Oh please spare this engineering details.
Anything could have gone wrong here.
Who in his right senses will build an 8 storey building with substandard materials.
A quack engineer would not even be awarded the country.
This is just one of many weird occurrences lately.

How many of us are in our right senses? See how you are talking as if you live in another country.

If this right senses you speak of is everywhere, why is the country this way? Why does our country have the highest number of poor people in the world? Why are we rated as one of the most corrupt countries in the world? Are you a Nigerian?

Was it not in this country we had planes crashing every other day under OBJ administration until something was done to that sector and we have not had one for over a decade now?
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by adams345(m): 7:44am On May 01, 2020
May God save us and this country
For inside this ConVid-19 that's when building is been collapsed

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by cowboymuzik(m): 7:49am On May 01, 2020
Abagworo:

Most of these collapse started in recent years probably a decade and half ago but prior to that 4 storey buildings were erected in their thousands in Aba and Onitsha with no news of collapse recorded. Most Nigerians believe the quality of cement is playing a major role in the recent collapses

Na so e be
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Nobody: 8:06am On May 01, 2020
The owner has used the dead for sacrifices.
If you know you know.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by ahaz: 8:11am On May 01, 2020
Abagworro:
Owerri is a cursed shithole
you are a cursed bastard your hopeless parents are cursed,your entire linage will remain cursed till Christ comes ..hopeless he hopeless he goat.. you are cursing your ancestors because you and your demon in chief are no longer relevant in IMO politics... you there call my hometown a shithole cos you know the level of destruction you and your fellow oneleged ritualist did to ala owerri.
Thank your God that this is a faceless forum..ewu
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by ZeusP(m): 8:24am On May 01, 2020
Engineering Misconduct
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Kingrefreshed: 8:29am On May 01, 2020
BUSINESSARENAA:
Who possibly approved the plan for eight story building?

Was pilling done on the foundation?

Which government agency was monitoring such a massive project while it was ongoing?

Who was checking the columns, the reinforcements and the concrete mixture to ensure it confirm with standards?

When we have answer to the above questions, we will understand where the problem started.

The building had been uncompletee and abandoned for almost 30 years now. I live clode to that place. Theres still another one Beside Garden Park that is almost 15 floors and uncompleted.

I guess the concrete and slabs are weak so have cracks. Thata why it collapse.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Hargbo(m): 8:38am On May 01, 2020
adecz:

Dangote is no longer consistent,
I suffered loss & embarrassment using
their cement last year .

I have pictures & documents &
even wrote them.

They started one promo last year
when people stopped buying their
cement.. It was that time that BUA
started moving in the market.
Can I see those pictures and documents..

Can you explain in details the embarrassment and loss you experienced.

I used Lafarge for all my Projects
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by 77up(m): 9:06am On May 01, 2020
There are millionways to die in AFRICA.

RIP to the dead.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by DrMuzungu(m): 11:14am On May 01, 2020
SLAP44:

RIP to the dead.
The house must have been started when Imo was on auto pilot as Roachas Okoroawusa didn't care about anything. APC is a disaster in this state.
Don't quote me, I am going to bed.

Indeed, the worst 8 years in history of Imo State!!! And yet, instead of prison inmate number, he was given seat in Abuja. WTF...

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by DrMuzungu(m): 11:31am On May 01, 2020
Gideon23:
There are State town planning and Safety commission officials who are supposed to run checks on the building before it even got to decking level, the sit in their offices, collect bribes to approve plans, and only visit your site to write 'Stop Work' when you haven't bribed them.

My friend, as if you don't know how it works. Building inspectors come, meet you in the office, envelope exchange hands, they go away and you continue, business as usual. When late Sam Mbakwe built Concorde Hotel, it was built with reinforced concrete, not nonsense blocks. That place would need tons of TNT to go down, and the way they build things today, if a mosquito farts, the building goes down.

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by femmyAdagba(m): 12:23pm On May 01, 2020
We have said it times without number to ENGAGE THE SERVICES OF A BUILDER, PREFERABLY A REGISTERED BUILDER whenever a building is to be built
Professional encroachment is one of our challenges in the country and I don't think news like this can cease from springing up, the o
nay antidote is PUTTING A SQUARE PEG IN A SQUARE HOLE
i won't be surprised if the manager of that building production is a graduate of the department of Accountancy, or Electrical & Electronic Engineering, or Even Architecture or Quantity Surveying.

Even Civil Engineering is still an Encroachment.

Builders are licensed to Build. Civil Engineers are meant to do Structural Designs. Their Expertise is much more requested in Highway Construction AND NOT BUILDING CONSTRUCTION

If anyone knows that he or she have an idea or the experience, let them go through the hurdles of the Academic Qualifications and the Professional Qualification Process.

You can not see a Pharmacist or Dentist Opening a hospital.
Neither can you see a Medical Doctor Selling or Dispensing drugs.

Let the Federal Republic of Nigeria develop a policy that everybody should stick to his / her profession and Sanity will be restored in the Country
Collapse here and there will be at the minimal zero.
The building code is much more expected to address all these issues
Build Wisely, Engage a Professional Builder
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by engrzico(m): 12:30pm On May 01, 2020
That will be after TB Joshua's engineers case is concluded
friday2011:
The engineers for that project should be tried and jailed if guilty.

The increased Building collapse we are experiencing is just another way of showing how failed this country is, quacks are responsible for building construction, road construction etc...because representatives of our government institutions sit in the office and eat bribes, while the so called NSE and coren are toothless only to collect levies and host convention.

Everything is in a case of comatose, name one sector that is healthy.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by anoziechi(f): 12:45pm On May 01, 2020
SLAP44:

RIP to the dead.

The house must have been started when Imo was on auto pilot as Rochas didn't care about anything. APC is a disaster in this state.

Don't quote me, I am going to bed.
rochas okoroawusa never used good materials in building anything
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Tillatalk: 2:19pm On May 01, 2020
Man must die one day ..Rip to the dead ones
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Horus(m): 4:33pm On May 01, 2020
iomoge2:
The building before the collapse

In the picture, the building is in very bad condition, similar to an abandoned and decaying building

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Biztech05(m): 4:59pm On May 01, 2020
Manage is nt best idea in building Production / industries
Having it in mind to build doesn't mean you have compromise standard!

Remember building Economic management is also practices by a good and competent professional and this's one of practices by a Builders with that, we don't compromise standards.

With little you have try an enagaged professionals to plan with either as full time or part time. Rather than engaging so call quack In other to save some cost. 
Don't just call baba bili ,baba tamedu.baba chichi
Or calling some because he has bn in site with an Engrs .Stop dealing ordinary familiarity, Deal with competency..
Always do it with a professional to avoid wasting of LIFE and RESOURCES 

Bad construction can also kills as covid19 to avoid that, make sure you Engage professionals.

Biztech consult.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by iomoge2(f): 5:46pm On May 01, 2020
Horus:

In the picture, the building is in very bad condition, similar to an abandoned and decaying building
exactly
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Antichristus: 6:45pm On May 01, 2020
Nigeria - shame of the African continent.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by otipoju(m): 6:52pm On May 01, 2020
MetaPhysical:
I pray for their recovery and wellness.

Lord have mercy.

Listen, in US, Malaysia, Dubai, China.....these people have buildings reaching up into the clouds. They never collapse.

Why do we build 4 storey and 10 storey structure and they are all collapsing two per month?

What the fvck is going on?

It's cheap materials. Mainly the economizing of cement used in making the blocks. Without enough cement the blocks are just like sand. If I ever want to build a multistory, the blocks will be made on site according th o the right specifications
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Nelsonnwagbo(m): 7:01pm On May 01, 2020
tonididdy:

Oh please spare this engineering details.
Anything could have gone wrong here.
Who in his right senses will build an 8 storey building with substandard materials.
A quack engineer would not even be awarded the country.
This is just one of many weird occurrences lately.
weird occurences indeed angry angry
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Coronaviruses: 7:47pm On May 01, 2020
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by showafrica(m): 11:19pm On May 01, 2020
JohnieWalker12:
undecidedThe Engineer should be arrested first first

Yes, the foundation does not look solid. They were rushing the house like say them dey 100m race with someone. Even someone fell out from the house recently and died instantly.

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Jybz1: 5:45am On May 03, 2020
Its quite unfortunate that people have to die due to the ignorance of others. Its no coincidence that the number of collapsing buildings is on the rise. This is partly due to the wear and tear some of these buildings which have been built within the last 50 years. Thus exposing the mediocre execution of the contractor/s. Others can be attributed to pure shoddy workmanship as we have seen with some of the more recent buildings on this list.

Please my brothers and sisters, do your due diligence before hiring people for your projects. This is beyond penny pinching. Lives can be saved. This is the best we can do considering government has refused to establish proper legislation to that effect.

For your state of the art architecture plans, designs, renderings and even construction services. I strongly recommend Ripple Design and Construction.They are affordable and produce some of the best architecture designs, construction and engineering services in Nigeria at the moment. Visit the website for more information.

Here are a few of their works! Stay safe guys..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Most Current Promotional Prices For Top Quality New Zealand Stone Coated Roof / New Houses I Saw In Villages In Imo State Today - Photos / Decorative wall stone tiles in Lagos and anywhere in Nigeria. .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.