Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) (88214 Views)

Many Trapped As 5-Storey Building Collapses In Onitsha, Anambra / Photos As 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ibadan / Many Pupils Dead, Over 100 Trapped As School Building Collapses In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by DexterousOne(m): 2:06am On May 01, 2020
Abagworo:

Most of these collapse started in recent years probably a decade and half ago but prior to that 4 storey buildings were erected in their thousands in Aba and Onitsha with no news of collapse recorded. Most Nigerians believe the quality of cement is playing a major role in the recent collapses

It's not the cement

It's the quacks and charlatans which have flooded the industry
They are the ones to blame

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by DexterousOne(m): 2:09am On May 01, 2020
ChimaAdeoye:

With the cheap/fake cement in Nigeria today, and the complicity of the Federal Government in refusing to investigate poor quality DANGOTE cement, nobody should be allowed to build more than 4 floors anywhere in Nigeria!

RIP to the dead. Those that still buy the sandbagged DANGOTE cement should continue to risk the human sacrifice! All the federal government agencies need to do is randomly select these DANGOTE cement bags and do quality tests on them. But they will never do it!

Nigeria is a human wasteland and the government doesn't care as long as the corrupt cement maker settles them well !

It has nothing to do with the cement
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Horus(m): 2:33am On May 01, 2020
Building collapse from cutting corners. The reason why these cost saving tricks continue to plague the current infrastructure is because they come in many different forms and are very difficult to police. Corners are cut by an owner trying to build cheaply, almost as often as they are cut by a contractor trying to get a job finished on time. Even the official inspectors can skip crucial steps when they are overburdened, and higher-ups may fail to respond due to lack of interest. One would think that after their negligence is exposed, those responsible for building collapses would try their hardest to make the situation right for those killed and injured by the incident. But sadly, most culpable parties try their hardest to hide their involvement or shift blame for building collapses onto others. It usually takes the help of diligent professionals to identify those responsible
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Adegunle4(m): 2:52am On May 01, 2020
MetaPhysical:

I am very shocked. No month goes by now without a building collapse somewhere.

Are they not mixing the cement well?

Someone has to be held responsible. We are loosing an average of 15 people to each collapse, and in a year we get about 20 collapses. This is not good.

It’s not just about the cement...there are several factors that can lead to structural failure.

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by TruthSpeaker: 2:55am On May 01, 2020
Poor architecture, terrible building material, senseless construction workers, chronic rain, etc could be the culprit. To be frank it is better it happen now, and not much later when a vast investment would have been made and of course when it could take many more lives.
I really hate seeing bamboo stick being used as scaffold at construction sites in Nigeria.
RIP to the death, and I wish a quick recovery to the injured victims

2 Likes

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Nchenches: 2:55am On May 01, 2020
Rip.
But 8 Storey building in Owerri? With what type of lift? Soon, they build skyscrapers.
The rush to build in Owerri is frenetic, since Imo can't get a governor who can provide basic infrastructure to other places outside the stare capital in Imo state for people to build landed property.

95% of entire Imo state remain like ancient villages, no modern development, not even common portable water outside Owerri..

It's like smarter and better educated Owerri people made governance and development an affair of only Owerri in Imo state. Sotay, up to three new cities have emerged from Owerri.

Every Imo governor abandons his hometown or senatorial zone, but develops Owerri.

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by oneTIMEman(m): 3:04am On May 01, 2020
This lockdown self, they have been banging in that poor house for 3 weeks now, RIP
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Hargbo(m): 3:14am On May 01, 2020
ChimaAdeoye:

With the cheap/fake cement in Nigeria today, and the complicity of the Federal Government in refusing to investigate poor quality DANGOTE cement, nobody should be allowed to build more than 4 floors anywhere in Nigeria!

RIP to the dead. Those that still buy the sandbagged DANGOTE cement should continue to risk the human sacrifice! All the federal government agencies need to do is randomly select these DANGOTE cement bags and do quality tests on them. But they will never do it!

Nigeria is a human wasteland and the government doesn't care as long as the corrupt cement maker settles them well !
Do you have proofs to back up your claim..

Mr Man, you just opened a legal issue by defaming a Company...

How many Dangote cement product have you tested and they are not measuring up to standard strength...

You need to share your proof to back up your Public claim...

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Danzakidakura(m): 3:30am On May 01, 2020
Abagworro:
Owerri is a cursed shithole
coming from Afonja Muslim
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by iomoge2(f): 3:46am On May 01, 2020
The building before the collapse

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by KosiGee(m): 3:55am On May 01, 2020
Abagworo:

Most of these collapse started in recent years probably a decade and half ago but prior to that 4 storey buildings were erected in their thousands in Aba and Onitsha with no news of collapse recorded. Most Nigerians believe the quality of cement is playing a major role in the recent collapses

Have you considered that the high rise buildings and sky crappers that you see abroad were erected with steel beams and onsite welders and other metal workers?...while Nigerians use just rebars aka building rods of various sizes to build?
In most cases, concrete mixes are done on site and on the floor with bad aggregates, you don’t do that! Concretes must be tested and conform to standards before they are used. The right thing to do is to engage professional concrete mixers who’d bring it to site when they are needed.
I’m not going to talk about prechecks, tests and other supervisions of the soil, sewage, etc by the engineers because in most cases, those are not done. It’s normal to see one man who is the architect, structural engineer, surveyor etc.

I need to add that the age long practice of using timbers for scaffolding is very wrong.

RIP to those workers who lost their lives.

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by olaniyilukman(m): 4:19am On May 01, 2020
SLAP44:

RIP to the dead.

The house must have been started when Imo was on auto pilot as Rochas didn't care about anything. APC is a disaster in this state.

Don't quote me, I am going to bed.
Don't put the blame on anyone, Nigeria government in general lacks what it takes to be a leader. There are some critical industries such as construction, manufacturing, food that govt shouldn't toy with, but reverse is the case in Nigeria. Many of our block industries in Nigeria are not regulating by standard organization of Nigeria and this leads to a situation whereby they will be producing blocks and other construction materials that doesn't meet modern requirements and in another cline, if you are not civil engineer, the government should not issue out license to you concerning anything construction... We are our enemy I swear... RIP to the dead in the course of looking for daily bread...

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by olaniyilukman(m): 4:25am On May 01, 2020
DexterousOne:

It's not the cement

It's the quacks and charlatans which have flooded the industry
They are the ones to blame
God bless you bro!! This kind of things happen in a society that lacks visionary leaders... Construction industry is a critical industry that government should pay maximum attention to, but in Nigeria regard in which civil engineering graduate is a bank manager and accountancy graduate is a site engineer....
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by adecz: 4:49am On May 01, 2020
Maybe dem use
Dangote cement!!

I used their cement on
a project last year & one
week after plastering, the
plaster & tiles started swelling
& falling off.

Everybody just confuse. We first
tried to blame the sand, but we
realized we didn't use sand for
mounting the tiles.

Next we think say na the water
get chemical; it was when we started
getting the same complaints from
other sites that we realized that
the common thing we all used
was dangote cement.

When the cement dried, instead of
hardening or setting, it became powdery.
It appears a certain component
was omitted in the production of
that batch.

Imagine if the same type of cement
was used at a stage of this collapsed
building.

It was then many of us tried
BUA, Sokoto Cement etc & saw they
were even better..

But again, there are also cheaper
substandard Chinesehinese rods in
the market.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by adecz: 5:16am On May 01, 2020
Hargbo:

Do you have proofs to back up your claim..

Mr Man, you just opened a legal issue by defaming a Company...

How many Dangote cement product have you tested and they are not measuring up to standard strength...

You need to share your proof to back up your Public claim...

Dangote is no longer consistent,
I suffered loss & embarrassment using
their cement last year .

I have pictures & documents &
even wrote them.

They started one promo last year
when people stopped buying their
cement.. It was that time that BUA
started moving in the market.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by sirkenny30(m): 5:29am On May 01, 2020
I feel Sorry for the entire family of this person
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by whirlwind7(m): 6:01am On May 01, 2020
SLAP44:

RIP to the dead.

The house must have been started when Imo was on auto pilot as Rochas didn't care about anything. APC is a disaster in this state.

Don't know why you said this, but look at that picture again.

The building was meant to be 8 storey. From the pictures and video, you can see that they just began work after the first decking. This means that it is a new site, and work probably commenced few weeks ago (maybe less than a month)

Not saying this because I support Rochas (I actually don't) I made my conclusion from the evidence on ground.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by whirlwind7(m): 6:04am On May 01, 2020
SLAP44:

RIP to the dead.

Don't know why you said this, but look at that picture again.

The building was meant to be 8 storey. From the pictures and video, you can see that they just began work after the first or second decking. This means that it is a new site, and work probably commenced few weeks ago.

Not saying this because I support Rochas (I actually don't) I made my conclusion from the evidence on ground.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Unrated900(m): 6:30am On May 01, 2020
hungryboy:
There are State town planning and Safety commission officials who are suppose to run checks on the building before it even got to decking level,the sit in their offices, collect bribes to approve plans, and only visit your site to write 'Stop Work' when you haven't bribed them.

Na their way
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Angelacruz: 6:34am On May 01, 2020
Exactly!
hungryboy:
There are State town planning and Safety commission officials who are suppose to run checks on the building before it even got to decking level,the sit in their offices, collect bribes to approve plans, and only visit your site to write 'Stop Work' when you haven't bribed them.

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by seguno2: 6:54am On May 01, 2020
BUSINESSARENAA:
Who possibly approved the plan for eight story building?

Was pilling done on the foundation?

Which government agency was monitoring such a massive project while it was ongoing?

Who was checking the columns, the reinforcements and the concrete mixture to ensure it confirm with standards?

When we have answer to the above questions, we will understand where the problem started.

How do we get the answer when no one is going to be charged to court for manslaughter, negligence homicide, civil damages etc?
How do we get answers
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Nobody: 6:57am On May 01, 2020
Owerri Amaka, they be been building houses everywhere, what people don't know is that 70% of these houses are substandard and unsafe.

They build on swamps, ravines, even landslide prone places with no regard to human safety.

Most of their houses don't have parking spaces, as they expect their tenants to park on the road.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Nobody: 6:59am On May 01, 2020
adecz:

Dangote is no longer consistent,
I suffered loss & embarrassment using
their cement last year .

I have pictures & documents &
even wrote them.

They started one promo last year
when people stopped buying their
cement.. It was that time that BUA
started moving in the market.

Sir, what makes you think it was the cement? I believe an 8 storey building needs for than cement to keep it standing.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Nobody: 7:06am On May 01, 2020
iomoge2:
The building before the collapse

look at the deckings, very thing, no precast just pure block work and casting with head pan.

All these fake mason who call themselves engineer, building an 8 storey building without a structural plan.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Beedude(m): 7:10am On May 01, 2020
MetaPhysical:
I pray for their recovery and wellness.

Lord have mercy.

Listen, in US, Malaysia, Dubai, China.....these people have buildings reaching up into the clouds. They never collapse.

Why do we build 4 storey and 10 storey structure and they are all collapsing two per month?

What the fvck is going on?
Only one answer - GREED. Until we remove this from our lives, it shall never be well with the country no matter how prayerful we are.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Nobody: 7:21am On May 01, 2020
olaniyilukman:
God bless you bro!! This kind of things happen in a society that lacks visionary leaders... Construction industry is a critical industry that government should pay maximum attention to, but in Nigeria regard in which civil engineering graduate is a bank manager and accountancy graduate is a site engineer....

You re right, I have seen instances where owners of these building s put their relatives who studied theatre arts to be in charge of the building construction, the person in effect becomes a site engineer overnight.

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by adecz: 7:24am On May 01, 2020
quentin06:

Sir, what makes you think it was the cement? I believe an 8 storey building needs for than cement to keep it standing.

I didn't categorically say that
this particular case is due to cement
failure; I'm saying that, generally cement quality can also be a factor.

And by the way, why does Dangote
have different grades of cement for
different activities as block making,
plastering, or concrete?

Before, cement was cement & good
for everything in construction.

Now, 3X, 5X etc. For what?
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by ncdegreat: 7:26am On May 01, 2020
I think proper civil piling were not properly done as foundation for the building, may be the place is a water log area and such place u need about 12 to 16 meter piling to sustain the weight of the load. engineers Should take standard as priority when carrying out a project like this.
Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Nobody: 7:36am On May 01, 2020
adecz:

I didn't categorically say that
this particular case is due to cement
failure; I'm saying that, generally cement quality can also be a factor.

And by the way, why does Dangote
have different grades of cement for
different activities as block making,
plastering, or concrete?

Before, cement was cement & good
for everything in construction.

Now, 3X, 5X etc. For what?

The only cement I can vouch for in Nigeria is Unicem, too bad they have a weak distributorship

1 Like

Re: 8 Storey Building Collapses In Owerri: 40 People Trapped (Graphic Pics) by Xristars(m): 7:39am On May 01, 2020
Chai. my own Imo. RIP to the dead. Quick recovery to the injured Amen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

New Houses I Saw In Villages In Imo State Today - Photos / Do I Mold Blocks Or Buy It? Please Advice. / Man Who Built Home On Inlaws Land Uproots & Moves The Home After Divorce (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.