Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,916 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

Broad Street, Lagos Island In 1971 - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Broad Street, Lagos Island In 1971 (912 Views)

Construction Of The First Road Link To Bonny Island In Highly Challenging Enviro / Tarkwa Bay Beach Island In Lagos (Photos) / Corpers' Trip To Freedom Park Lagos, Formerly 'Her Majesty's Broad Street Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Broad Street, Lagos Island In 1971 by CapitalHYC(m): 6:51am On May 01, 2020
Broad Street, Lagos Island.
The building on the left is Barclays Bank Ltd Kakawa Branch. In 1972, the Federal Government of Nigeria acquired 51.67% ownership of the bank, leaving Barclays Bank Plc. of London with 40% ownership. In 1979, that 40% was sold to Nigerian individuals and businesses to comply with recently enacted banking and investment laws. The bank changed its name to Union Bank of Nigeria plc to reflect its new ownership structure.
On the right is British Petroleum (BP) building whose 20% equity interest in the Shell‐BP Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) of Nigeria was taken over in 1979 because of Britain's decision, under the new Conservative PM Margaret Thatcher, to allow BP to sell crude oil to South Africa.
Occupying the ground floor of BP House is Allen's Motors (J. Allen & Co Ltd) which was Ford Motors exclusive dealer in Nigeria. It had 13 branches in the most important towns across the country, then home to 57 million Nigerians.
Photographer: Unknown
Date taken: c. 1971
Source: Posctcard

Lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Broad Street, Lagos Island In 1971 by olu77(m): 6:54am On May 01, 2020
Hmmm..before the shit hit the fan. That confused man under the tree must be the owner of that Okada on the left.
Re: Broad Street, Lagos Island In 1971 by Nobody: 6:59am On May 01, 2020
olu77:
Hmmm..before the shit hit the fan. That confused man under the tree must be the owner of that Okada on the left.
Or he could be your grandfather

2 Likes

Re: Broad Street, Lagos Island In 1971 by olu77(m): 7:23am On May 01, 2020
Tadeknkeepcalm:

Or he could be your grandfather

He can't even be my father how much more grand father. Why are you pained? Is that your father? What made you lose your calm?
Re: Broad Street, Lagos Island In 1971 by Nobody: 7:43am On May 01, 2020
olu77:

He can't even be my father how much more grand father. Why are you pained? Is that your father? What made you lose your calm?
Look in the mirror and say that again grin
Re: Broad Street, Lagos Island In 1971 by olu77(m): 7:52am On May 01, 2020
Tadeknkeepcalm:

Look in the mirror and say that again grin

That doesn't make sense. Should I look in the mirror to see if I am your father or what?
Re: Broad Street, Lagos Island In 1971 by Petyprincess(f): 10:17am On May 01, 2020
This is informative nd interesting! Hw i wish it's possible to travel to the past till this pandemic is over embarassed

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

The Naked Truth About Relocating To Canada / Nigerian Man Who Defrauded Canadian Town Of $500K Sentenced In Ontario / I Want To Resign And Travel To The UK, What Do I Need To Know?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.