Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,987 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:58 AM

Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers (79299 Views)

Fuel Subsidy Removal: Lapo MFB Increases Staff Salaries / 'FG Plans To Retrench Workers' - Labour Raises Alarm / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Nobody: 4:21pm On May 01, 2020
IFNOTGOD:

forget d stories of dem bringing in business, those In operation don't bring shit.

the marketers I will agree with u, in operations most of d sm n above only review what d junior staff have done.

IT staff are not much, usually few compared to oda staff, d bulk of banking apps in Nigeria are mainly from India n dey have their staff on ground working in keeping d system going with few core banking staff n few DevOps staff.

those with d skill set are usually not those in d helm of affairs, I have worked with one of d best brains in the banking sector when it comes to combining IT with finance, yet he is treated like a nobody.

if u work with dis guy u will marvel at what he can do.

even IT staff quite a no. of dem are outsource staff.

let just leave dis thing, u see d was footballers b when some dey earn full country budget whole odas dey earn peanut na so d mata b, just pray make God dey ur side

if u know u know

True, those in operations dont bring in shit, but I believe at Senior Manager level, they would be managing a cluster of branches. If you fire them, who would take that responsibility? At best you can merge a cluster of branches so each person manages 30+ branches, but then it would tell on the output of those branches. Besides I disagree that all they do is review work. Speaking of IT staff, I remember the IT workforce alone in the bank I worked in a while back was 400+. Running IT is also not about the technical skills per se, but developing strategy, programme management, and managing people.

For your skilled friend to be one of the best in the country and be treated like garbage sounds strange to me cos in the past 3 years,my experience has been in begging IT people to stay. I used to have a 21 year old that refused full employment for contract and every time we had to renew his contract, his price always went up. Not to talk of Guys that leave to take up remote jobs or just move abroad. As I speak to you, I'm learning programming simply cos my experience has shown me how IT guys are favoured in the new economy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by astonished: 4:25pm On May 01, 2020
LilPeezy:
Bit mistress that you've to sign up with 29usd per month something that got monthly and yearly sub.... Something that looks more than a scam sef

Na d guy own the site. Na SCAM site

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by LilPeezy(m): 4:29pm On May 01, 2020
astonished:

Na d guy own the site. Na SCAM site
I dey tell u bro....Person wey cari curse from village na go fall to such scam

2 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by majamajic(m): 4:32pm On May 01, 2020
77up:
awon oga ta, oga Ota. Owo alaaru ape niyen. Those are the set of sale or no sale , salary must br paid people.

E get time wey e go reach , u go hear am too
Your salary no dey fly enter
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by BluntTheApostle(m): 4:33pm On May 01, 2020
jasmine1600:
Nigerians don’t even know the present harsh economic situation they are in.
Expect other institutions to follow suite.
We presently have a government tht have ran out of propaganda, tht don’t even kn how to face the problem squarely.

Must you blame the government for everything?

The bank blamed Covid-19, you didn't even bother to mention the pandemic.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by juman(m): 4:38pm On May 01, 2020
smasher1:

Have you ever heard about temporary sacking before? It's always permanent.

Retrench 75% of workers permanently?

Are they closing shop?
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by abbiboy: 4:40pm On May 01, 2020
But CBN gave a directives concerning downsizing of staff that re more 5 persons by bank management.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Tunks2017(m): 4:41pm On May 01, 2020
Useless bank & their wretched wapic insurance........... Thats how they always sack staff angry

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by smasher1(m): 4:45pm On May 01, 2020
juman:

Retrench 75% of workers permanently?

Are they closing shop?

It's not up to 75%. Watch the video carefully. They are closing some branches from now till December. In otherwords, permanently.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Midex88(m): 4:45pm On May 01, 2020
anthropizzy:

Polaris Bank Limited

K
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Raalsalghul: 5:03pm On May 01, 2020
asamaigho:

and dats d plain truth.
most of them where shouting increase d lockdown! because at d end of d month, their salary was ensured.
thats y i always tell people to look at both ends of d coin before getting an opinion.

Human beings are inherently selfish: as long as it doesn't affect them, the rest can roast to ashes.

Honestly, the lockdown favored me, but I've always wanted the government to lift it considering it affects a large percentage of the masses.

Funny enough, this retrenchment will affect someone I know.

2 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Legendguru: 5:07pm On May 01, 2020
Ye job loss looms everywhere from Monday the Fg has Made a big mistake for this long lockdown
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by diesel86: 5:07pm On May 01, 2020
philip0906:

I have quoted you twice without sounding brash or throwing tirades. I have not insulted you either in any of my posts but since you want to go that route, leggo

1. Yes the economy is already in recession BUT companies are still posting profits. Say what you know. Some fintech/payment companies in the forex business, are making a kill
2. Every company scaling cost is relative to their revenue. Nobody will reduce overhead when the bottomline is not impacted or at risk of been imparted. I work in an international tech company, we're not scaling costs or retrenching..
3. Shut your mouth up and say what you know. The companies you listed have direct hit because of the nature of their business. Oil prices are down, so is demand. It makes sense to cut cost. The airspace has been shut for weeks, meaning no money is coming in for airlines.So your comparison, holds no water...

Let me lecture your block head...With every challenge, comes innovation. Every one is been forced to innovate, including the banks. Companies are still raising funds. Head to techcrunch and see companies doing seed, series etc They are not your traditional oil & gas companies or airlines

A Nigerian tech company Okra, raised $1 million un funding during this covid-19 pandemic. They are currently hiring. The only companies that will survive are those who have embraced innovation and change a long time ago. We have been shouting cashless for years but we still use banking halls. Now this virus will force that change and life goes on

Gbam, you Sabi jare.

I have been telling all who care to listen that it's not all gloom and doom, this things happen and it presents new opportunities for those who are willing to evolve �
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Raalsalghul: 5:13pm On May 01, 2020
Legendguru:
Ye job loss looms everywhere from Monday the Fg has Made a big mistake for this long lockdown
Suits some folks that were agitating for the lockdown right.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Raalsalghul: 5:14pm On May 01, 2020
diesel86:

Gbam, you Sabi jare.

I have been telling all who care to listen that it's not all gloom and doom, this things happen and it presents new opportunities for those who are willing to evolve �

Pray, do tell what opportunities do you mean?
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by IFNOTGOD(m): 5:16pm On May 01, 2020
Bagehot:

True, those in operations dont bring in shit, but I believe at Senior Manager level, they would be managing a cluster of branches. If you fire them, who would take that responsibility? At best you can merge a cluster of branches so each person manages 30+ branches, but then it would tell on the output of those branches. Besides I disagree that all they do is review work. Speaking of IT staff, I remember the IT workforce alone in the bank I worked in a while back was 400+. Running IT is also not about the technical skills per se, but developing strategy, programme management, and managing people.

For your skilled friend to be one of the best in the country and be treated like garbage sounds strange to me cos in the past 3 years,my experience has been in begging IT people to stay. I used to have a 21 year old that refused full employment for contract and every time we had to renew his contract, his price always went up. Not to talk of Guys that leave to take up remote jobs or just move abroad. As I speak to you, I'm learning programming simply cos my experience has shown me how IT guys are favoured in the new economy.

for ur IT staff been over 400 means ur bank has international presence.

for IT no doubt d opportunities are vast particularly d aspect of programming u talking about n data analytics which goes hand in hand with programming.

cos using python or SQL n R automatically means u can do some works on programming

n for the guy I spoke about, he is not a young guy like us dat likes to move from one place to anoda, spoke with him countless times but when d guy moved I was really surprised.

one thing u need to know about movement of IT staff is dat when u n I are working n u move to a new place, u tend to carry ur crew along n due to d fact dat programming or IT space is like a football game u meet people n from conversations u hear of opportunity compared to operations who don't move dat much.

if I b programmer n u b programmer as u dey move n u na my paddy na so I dey follow u.

internal control, finance n treasury guys are like dat if their boss moves dey give dem few months dey will move.

truth is IT is d in thing now no doubt, hope I got join u learn d programming if u no mind?

just tell me if u dey lag n how I go take contact u
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Charly68: 5:18pm On May 01, 2020
Useless capitalists ,the bilions they made when their was no Covid 19 what have they done with it..can't they sustain their staff from part of their retained profits..?

2 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by ubcandid(m): 5:20pm On May 01, 2020
9jaRealist:
THE HEADLINE IS A TAD MISLEADING....

Access Bank outsources most of its NON-BANK functions (such as security, cleaners, etc.). Those people are not employed directly by the bank itself, but rather by third-party subcontractors. It is these services that Access Bank intends to rationalize, which would end up presumably disengaging about 75% of such contracted persons. Doubtful that more than a small percentage of actual Access Bank core staff will be disengaged (albeit there are probably several areas of duplication post-merger with Diamond Bank that might be trimmed during this crisis).

Either way, some people are due for pain and an uncertain near-future...
Perhaps all those generous Access Bank Covid donations should have been reserved for these folks. Good luck to all.
>
what of the salary cut? The boss clearly stated he is knocking off 40% of his
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by mechanics(m): 5:31pm On May 01, 2020
After he has given out money freely, he didn't know the COVID-19 pandemic will also affect his bank's operations.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Oneday82: 5:40pm On May 01, 2020
This is just the beginning. I said it and some fellas was quoting me wrong.

If 75% out 100% what is left of the workforce. I pity those who have lost out and those that will still loose, sorry to you all.

Connected ECONOMY is the key.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by DexterousOne(m): 5:54pm On May 01, 2020
quentin06:

He should do a sex change, women are not affected especially the curvy ones. Had a church member who spent 2.5m on enhancement surgery, its paying off now, she s a branch manager, hot and unsackable.

You dont mean it shocked shocked
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by olumide4christ: 6:46pm On May 01, 2020
Jeromejnr:
The realities of the universe have no care about your dreams, plans and future ambitions.

In a day, disruptions can occur and all will be lost.

So will the coming of the Son of man be.

Amend your priorities.

Very true, Brother! May we all take heed!

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Biakwa: 6:53pm On May 01, 2020
anthropizzy:

Polaris Bank Limited

Which of the branches,i have someone there too
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:55pm On May 01, 2020
If I had an account with that bank I will close it on Monday. How can you give money to the government dimiss your workers. Why not cut their salaries. They need to lose customers too.
If Nigerians can avoid the bank so that it will close down too. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 01, 2020
Old Diamond bank workers might be first to go

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by asamaigho(m): 9:20pm On May 01, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Human beings are inherently selfish: as long as it doesn't affect them, the rest can roast to ashes. That of the black race is the something else.

Honestly, the lockdown favored me, but I've always wanted the government to lift it considering it affects a large percentage of the masses.

Funny enough, this retrenchment will affect someone I know.

thanks ma guy.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Ezmans: 10:12pm On May 01, 2020
DonMustafa:
It is better to cut staff salaries than to sack them. Even if the staffs will hunt for other jobs, at least something still comes in monthly to pay bills. Complete sack is terrible.
Rob Peter & pay paul country
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by popooladayo(m): 1:30am On May 02, 2020
[[quote]quote author=majamajic post=89051947]I was talking with one salary earner.[color=#990000][/color]
funny u.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by popooladayo(m): 1:32am On May 02, 2020
[[quote]quote author=majamajic post=89051947]I was talking with one salary earner.

funny u.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by popooladayo(m): 1:33am On May 02, 2020
jasmine1600:
Nigerians don’t even know the present harsh economic situation they are in.
Expect other institutions to follow suite.
We presently have a government tht have ran out of propaganda, tht don’t even kn how to face the problem squarely.
Abi oo
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Galaxydon1(m): 4:31am On May 02, 2020
this is wickedness. you gave federal government 1 billion.. now you want to sack and cut salaries of your workers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Debby Johnson: Nigerian Lady In The US Army (Pics) / Female Soldier 'Who Is Too Pretty' For The Work She Does Speaks (Video) / Lady Loses A Job Because She Celebrated On Facebook (Lesson To All)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.