Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers (79267 Views)

Fuel Subsidy Removal: Lapo MFB Increases Staff Salaries / 'FG Plans To Retrench Workers' - Labour Raises Alarm / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Boade123: 1:59pm On May 01, 2020
DonMustafa:
It is better to cut staff salaries than to sack them. Even if the staffs will hunt for other jobs, at least something still comes in monthly to pay bills. Complete sack is terrible.

It's not easy working as a contract staff and attending interviews while still working in bank. There won't be enough time for that because of the nature of banking jobs.
There is nothing wrong with retrenchment but the problem is your level preparation.
I would not have had the opportunity to do the business I'm into currently had it been I was not sacked.
Thank God for my level of preparation at the time the retrenchment was done.

So, be prepared for this kind of a thing as a banker, especially when you are a contract staff.
Business opportunities abound.

5 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Map1(m): 2:03pm On May 01, 2020
And 1billion naira was donated to the useless government of Nigeria who doesn't need your money and you are ready to short pay who needs there salary.what a shame
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by anthropizzy(m): 2:05pm On May 01, 2020
IFNOTGOD:

if u were a staff of access bank u won't make such comment.

have u seen d pyramid of staff salaries in these banks?

payment of staff salaries n allowance is wide at d top with just few persons, while the payment of these 75% is thin at even though dey are much.

senior managers n above have official cars, subscription n even get paid for medical trips abroad while the so called cleaners n outsource staff don't have such privilege except what dey collect at d end of d month.

sacking I d 75% of outsource staff will still.notake dem make profit, check d salary of d cleaner compare it to dat of a senior manager n tell me d %age.

dey should start with d top management staff dat way I will know dey are cutting cost.

a cleaner collects 20k.per month while an SM collects a million at d end of d month now tell me who is suppose to go?

in a year d average outsource staff salary is not even up to d monthly pay of a senior manager.

sometimes some of u comment without thinking

try to have human sympathy.

It will be done across all board. For sure this retrenchment will affect full staff too.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Sam2310(m): 2:09pm On May 01, 2020
smasher1:

Are they from Access bank? What are there job function?
yes but i don't ask her about function.
One of them Work as customer care.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by teejay167(m): 2:09pm On May 01, 2020
[color=#770077][/color] cheesy
easzypeaszy:
Who bleeping cares... Am even tired of der contract job...akuku fori se, afi orun se and yet no conversion to full staff..
Una father
cheesy
easzypeaszy:
Who bleeping cares... Am even tired of der contract job...akuku fori se, afi orun se and yet no conversion to full staff..
Una father

I laugh in igbo
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by asamaigho(m): 2:09pm On May 01, 2020
u11ae1013:
It's funny that most of the people who were agitating for lockdown extension would be affected by this job losses, they will now know what it means to earn a daily living and know what faced during this one month without salary and assistance from the government.
I am not a prophet neither am I trying to sound negative, but a lot will die of suicide and frustration

and dats d plain truth.
most of them where shouting increase d lockdown! because at d end of d month, their salary was ensured.
thats y i always tell people to look at both ends of d coin before getting an opinion.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Yankee101: 2:10pm On May 01, 2020
Add tellers to the ETC for perspective

They are the customer facing personnel

Ask anyone who is nice to them in access bank and it's the teller they know

9jaRealist:
THE HEADLINE IS A TAD MISLEADING....

Access Bank outsources most of its NON-BANK functions (such as security, cleaners, etc.). Those people are not employed directly by the bank itself, but rather by third-party subcontractors. It is these services that Access Bank intends to rationalize, which would end up presumably disengaging about 75% of such contracted persons. Doubtful that more than a small percentage of actual Access Bank core staff will be disengaged (albeit there are probably several areas of duplication post-merger with Diamond Bank that might be trimmed during this crisis).

Either way, some people are due for pain and an uncertain near-future...
Perhaps all those generous Access Bank Covid donations should have been reserved for these folks. Good luck to all.
>

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by anthropizzy(m): 2:10pm On May 01, 2020
Deoboss:

Well, i think people should not complain too much on banks as my cousin working in Access bank already mentioned this to me & is praying fervently not to be sacked as the wage cut is inevitable but sack is the worst.

He said for the past month customers were only withdrawing funds from Access Bank & not much deposit were made via cash or cheque lodgement as a lot of their branches operated skeletally.

Obviously we are in for a tough time ahead economy wise but GOD is great & will see us thru this tough times as entrepreneurs

My heart goes out to you bro. I pray that your brother survive and still retain his job. I know how it feels because am a banker too.

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by sucess001(m): 2:13pm On May 01, 2020
leo047:
There is nothing wrong with Access Bank's decision.

We must realise that access bank is a business, not a charity.

That they donated billions is irrelevant. That's what almost anywise thinking business would do for the PR.

It boosts the business image.

The move is not justified and way too early.

First, banks experienced some sort of boom during the lockdown with most transactions going online and also getting a cut of bank based telecoms transactions like ussd. Again, post covid...oil prices will go back up albeit not to pre covid figures. Additionally a lot of investors will come to Africa being a region not mostly affected by the virus.

I think he just used the opportunity to set a justification to lay off the diamond bank staff he inherited.

If you don't believe me...watch out for their Q2 figures and year end figures...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by anthropizzy(m): 2:20pm On May 01, 2020
Midex88:

See this bank marketers grin

A trial will convince you sir. Thank you.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by anthropizzy(m): 2:23pm On May 01, 2020
Dre7:
From a balance perspective, I believe this mass sack isn't the way out, unless of course the companies are using this incident as an opportunity to executive certain plans they had in mind, prior to this time.

My take;
Why not simply make everyone take a pay cut or no salary, but give them the job security, with the assurance that everything will become normal after this pandemic.

With this step, you have settled two things;
1. Cut off you personnel running cost, since you aren't making profit.

2. Your workers endure a few months, but with a bright hope of things returning to normal afterwards. Isn't easy but better, the thought of job hunt all over again is heart melting you know....

Make sense. I have been expecting this day to come.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by ShenTeh(m): 2:25pm On May 01, 2020
Midex88:

Look at what is spewing from your mouth, if your family member or friends are among the vulnerable people who are at risk of loosing their means of livelihood at this critical time, you won’t say this insensitive and uncalculated rubbish.
is terminating the employment of their contract staff who earn so little with nothing to save from from their meagre salary the only way to cut down on cost/expenses.

If they are truly sincere about staying afloat, they should sack the senior staff of the bank because sacking 75percent of contract staff will never make the book balance look good.

Better still, cut down wage across board.
Can you stay your arguments with the facts from the information in the video, please.

And hey, you obviously don't know how businesses are run, let talk of a world class bank. I shall let you be.

Thank you.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by frog12: 2:31pm On May 01, 2020
madness!!! retrench 75 % and who will staff the branches?
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by anthropizzy(m): 2:31pm On May 01, 2020
sucess001:

The move is not justified and way too early.

First, banks experienced some sort of boom during the lockdown with most transactions going online and also getting a cut of bank based telecoms transactions like ussd. Again, post covid...oil prices will go back up albeit not to pre covid figures. Additionally a lot of investors will come to Africa being a region not mostly affected by the virus.

I think he just used the opportunity to set a justification to lay off the diamond bank staff he inherited.

If you don't believe me...watch out for their Q2 figures and year end figures...

God bless you. You just spoke my mind

2 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by guidefreak(m): 2:48pm On May 01, 2020
5 Tips to Avoid Getting Fired after Lockdown

We really should talk about how to avoid getting fired after the Lockdown because a lot of people will be fired. Don't take that as a negative thinking but let's consider the facts together, right now.

Truth is, the COVID-19 did not only bring casualties and deaths, it brought flexibility to systems, helping many employer to realize that they can do more with less. Don't forget that every company or organization will want to reduce running cost by all means. That means if it is possible for them to run smoothly with less staff, then they will. Sadly, the Coronavirus has opened their eyes to the fact that a lot can be done with less hands. So, how do you avoid getting fired.

See more: https://herobutterfly.com/how-to-avoid-getting-fired-after-lockdown/

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Midex88(m): 3:01pm On May 01, 2020
anthropizzy:

My heart goes out to you bro. I pray that your brother survive and still retain his job. I know how it feels because am a banker too.

God bless you.

Naxo. Which bank pls
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by lovalova: 3:06pm On May 01, 2020
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by smasher1(m): 3:06pm On May 01, 2020
juman:
Sacking them temporarily.
Probably.

Have you ever heard about temporary sacking before? It's always permanent.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Oshokalo: 3:06pm On May 01, 2020
wman:
Oh my God. embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry

I really feel for those non-essential workers. And many of those that previously worked in Diamond Bank. Especially those Diamond bank branches close to an Access Bank branch. We have too many branches of both banks few feet away from each other.

I really hope some of those workers saw this coming and took measures to cushion the incoming retrenchment.

For those talking about a 1 billion naira donation. 7000 people x N100,000 = N700,000,000 or N700 million in a month.

Their permanent staff is just 7000. Their temporary/contract workers are far more than that. Also, many workers collect far more than N100k. So that N1 billion is far less than their salary budget for a month.

Access Bank has a total staff strength of 28,000 with a personnel expenditure of N76 billion in 2019. That's over N6 billion a month.

You must also realise that some of these donations are eye-service that is key to getting contracts and favors from the government. Also, it is a PR move. In the next few years, they will tell investors and the general public how they helped Nigerians during the Covid-19 crisis. Everything is well-calculated and factored out.

There will be a global recession, and it makes no sense to have a bloated workforce. In the end, I blame China for all these.

Abajo, i said it why will this companies knows govt way of corruption,and still put money in their confers

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by zedegit: 3:09pm On May 01, 2020
Access Bank stole my money. They illegally debited me twice for same charge.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by zedegit: 3:11pm On May 01, 2020
menix:
They should better ask FG to refund their 1 billion naira nd use same to pay salaries..

Small small Covid 20 (hunger nd suffering) is setting in..

Uwa Mmebi..

They are currently stealing from their customers to repay that #1billion

Check your account balance NOW.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by 77up(m): 3:18pm On May 01, 2020
majamajic:
I was talking with one salary earner , he said he wish the lockdown never ends , he was full of confident

I laughed him ,
awon oga ta, oga Ota. Owo alaaru ape niyen. Those are the set of sale or no sale , salary must br paid people.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by CsRockefeller(m): 3:23pm On May 01, 2020
KPMG recently laid off most of their contract staff, my friend was among the casualty.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by purplekayc(m): 3:50pm On May 01, 2020
How much did they the government for coronavirus?
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by IFNOTGOD(m): 3:50pm On May 01, 2020
Bagehot:

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Do you honestly think a Nigerian bank with all their shylock tendencies would pay you a million naira a month if they are not getting value in some way? Some of these senior managers etc. you speak of are the ones really holding the bank: the billions in deposits they bring or their skill-sets are what allow the bank to continue standing. Across board, the only set of professionals that would survive and even thrive in the coming armageddon are IT Staff - in this new world, they are the truly indispensable.

forget d stories of dem bringing in business, those In operation don't bring shit.

the marketers I will agree with u, in operations most of d sm n above only review what d junior staff have done.

IT staff are not much, usually few compared to oda staff, d bulk of banking apps in Nigeria are mainly from India n dey have their staff on ground working in keeping d system going with few core banking staff n few DevOps staff.

those with d skill set are usually not those in d helm of affairs, I have worked with one of d best brains in the banking sector when it comes to combining IT with finance, yet he is treated like a nobody.

if u work with dis guy u will marvel at what he can do.

even IT staff quite a no. of dem are outsource staff.

let just leave dis thing, u see d was footballers b when some dey earn full country budget whole odas dey earn peanut na so d mata b, just pray make God dey ur side

if u know u know

3 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by IFNOTGOD(m): 3:53pm On May 01, 2020
anthropizzy:

It will be done across all board. For sure this retrenchment will affect full staff too.

across board ko across board ni.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by smasher1(m): 4:00pm On May 01, 2020
Sam2310:
yes but i don't ask her about function.
One of them Work as customer care.

Okay, thanks

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by elijah302: 4:00pm On May 01, 2020
na wa oooo some banker go dey house now it is well
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Boade123: 4:03pm On May 01, 2020
Bank retrenchment is not really the issue.

Though, it's not easy working as a contract staff and attending interviews while still working in bank. There won't be enough time for that because of the nature of banking jobs.

There is nothing wrong with retrenchment but the problem is your level of preparation.

When you are fortunate to get a contract job in a bank, give yourself a target, say maximum of 5years and work on your personal business or other job opportunities and don't relax that you have got a permanent job. With this mindset, retrenchment, sack, layoff or whatsoever can't shock you when it eventually happens.

I would not have had the opportunity to do the business I'm into currently had it been I was not sacked.

I was always of the opinion that the job was not my father's own and being a bank contract staff would end one day.

So, be prepared for this kind of a thing as a banker, especially when you are a contract staff.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by anthropizzy(m): 4:03pm On May 01, 2020
Midex88:

Naxo. Which bank pls

Polaris Bank Limited

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Optimist59: 4:09pm On May 01, 2020
Boade123:

It's not easy working as a contract staff and attending interviews while still working in bank. There won't be enough time for that because of the nature of banking jobs.
There is nothing wrong with retrenchment but the problem is your level preparation.

can we have a chat sir, pls send me a message
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Venerable612(m): 4:15pm On May 01, 2020
9jaRealist:

Of course, the HEADLINE is misleading (and frankly erroneous)...
Not quite sure what you mean by “the topic” but I specified the HEADLINE.

The factual reality is that NONE (as in ZERO) of those third-party staff are Access Bank employees...
If my landlord lays off staff because many of the tenants cannot pay rent, it’s NOT referred to as the tenants laying off staff.

Furthermore, even though Access Bank may no longer want/need these third-party staff...
It does not mean that their employers necessarily have to dismiss them or that someone else may not require their services.

Nonetheless, while you were busy MAJORING in the MINOR...
I actually noted in the final analysis that, regardless, the affected are due for an uncertain future and wished them all GOOD LUCK.
>

It appears you have issues with comprehension.

I won't indulge you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Debby Johnson: Nigerian Lady In The US Army (Pics) / Female Soldier 'Who Is Too Pretty' For The Work She Does Speaks (Video) / Lady Loses A Job Because She Celebrated On Facebook (Lesson To All)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.