Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,093 members, 7,825,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Neutering My GSD - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Neutering My GSD (1342 Views)

Diary Of My GSD, Bella / Diary Of My GSD / I Need My Gsd To Be Aggressive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Neutering My GSD by Nobody: 11:39am On May 01, 2020
He's 5months and I have read that this is the time if I want this done.
1. To reduce his hyperactivity and nervous energy
2. To prevent him going crazy when a bitch in heat smells
3. To get him possibly biggest he can be.
4. To stop him marking everywhere with pee

Has anyone neutered their males dogs here and was it worth it? Did you end up with a better, calmer dog?
Re: Neutering My GSD by Geepee77(m): 4:35pm On May 01, 2020
Bros abi babe... Leave the dog alone naw haba. To me that's cruelty of the highest order, just kill the dog if you don't want it. The only way I can neuter a dog is to safe the life of that dog, unless it's a life or death situation I cannot do it and you shouldn't either. Have you considered that you might also loose the dog during the operation?

My opinion though.
Re: Neutering My GSD by agboedeh: 8:47pm On May 01, 2020
Geepee77:
Bros abi babe... Leave the dog alone naw haba. To me that's cruelty of the highest order, just kill the dog if you don't want it. The only way I can neuter a dog is to safe the life of that dog, unless it's a life or death situation I cannot do it and you shouldn't either. Have you considered that you might also loose the dog during the operation?

My opinion though.
Ur opinion is wrong. The operation is safe and the dog bounces back to normal. They won't even notice there is any difference.
Re: Neutering My GSD by Haroldjunior: 9:46am On May 02, 2020
Bro, please don't neuter the dog. Firstly, if his parents aren't good security dogs in terms of aggression and courage, then if you neuter him, he might just turn out to become a pussy, cuz you'd get rid of almost all the drive/testosterone in him. Other reasons include; Neutering increases the risk of a deadly cancer called hemangiosarcoma. Neutering triples the risk of hypothyroidism, and this could lead to you going broke cuz you'd have to buy lots and lots of thyroid supplements to keep his endocrine system stable. Neutering could also triple the risk of obesity and lack of fitness in the dog. If you don't have many dogs at home, there's no need neuturing him, cuz he won't pick fights or have unnecessary drives, apart from territory marking. Also, it increases the risks of bone cancer and hip dysplasia in big dogs. I wanted to neuter my dog, but I had a rethink. There are many pros involved though, but I'd advice you let the dog be the man he was born to be. So you know, neutered dogs eat a lot, about twice the amount an intact dog would eat. Consider your pocket too.

1 Like

Re: Neutering My GSD by Haroldjunior: 9:52am On May 02, 2020
agboedeh:
Ur opinion is wrong. The operation is safe and the dog bounces back to normal. They won't even notice there is any difference.
Boss, no offense, but you're wrong in some type of way. It is safe, yes, but this totally depends on the person that performs the procedure. If performed wrongly, or by a quack, there could be complications such as a bad reaction to the anesthesia used, infections that could lead to cancers, abscess, etc.

1 Like

Re: Neutering My GSD by Hound123: 10:28am On May 02, 2020
Indeed this post is very disturbing I must say sincerely. I won't say much because what ever words I say here may or may not matter to you but nevertheless I would drop my take on this.I ask myself this question when I saw your post( why would you neuter a dog because it is acting the way it should act( AS A DOG) If it's for the survival of the dog let's say a point of life and death situation as@Geepee77 clearly stated then it is a welcomed idea,but anything far from that should not be encouraged.Seriouly it insults man's intelligence as to how we view and perceive our dogs carrying out their roles, functions and duties as dogs.Think about this my friend in the world we live in today everyone acts out some certain types of traits especially males.The MACHO,BOSSY, SUPER CONFIDENT,A HIGH PREYDRIVE AS A GO GETTER or sometimes OVERAGGRESSIVE some can be very annoying to people but it's all because of a high level of testosterone production in the body it actually programs how males behave.Think about this if these people should get their balls cut off/castrated what would be the out come in thier personality....................? I live the answer to you.Away from that I don't own the dog you do, so any decisions you intend to take solidly depends on you,but what you are preparing to do to that dog is actually going to make that dog( USELESS) Please do have a wonderful day.

1 Like

Re: Neutering My GSD by agboedeh: 11:12am On May 02, 2020
Haroldjunior:

Boss, no offense, but you're wrong in some type of way. It is safe, yes, but this totally depends on the person that performs the procedure. If performed wrongly, or by a quack, there could be complications such as a bad reaction to the anesthesia used, infections that could lead to cancers, abscess, etc.
U are right. It totally depends on the vet. Dats y u av to get a professional and not a quack.
I am just amazed how people see castration as animal cruelty when its not.
Re: Neutering My GSD by Geepee77(m): 3:16pm On May 02, 2020
agboedeh:
U are right. It totally depends on the vet. Dats y u av to get a professional and not a quack.
I am just amazed how people see castration as animal cruelty when its not.

Castration is and will always be animal cruelty. Humans are also animals, so just imagine say dem castrate you how you go feel?
Because people are doing it doesn't mean it's not cruelty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Neutering My GSD by agboedeh: 4:51pm On May 02, 2020
Geepee77:

Castration is and will always be animal cruelty. Humans are also animals, so just imagine say dem castrate you how you go feel?
Because people are doing it doesn't mean it's not cruelty.
Its not cruelty bro. Dogs don't feel depressed or sad if they haven't had sex in a while as far as there is no presence of a bitch on heat. Humans and dogs are totally different.
Re: Neutering My GSD by Haroldjunior: 6:40am On May 03, 2020
agboedeh:
Its not cruelty bro. Dogs don't feel depressed or sad if they haven't had sex in a while as far as there is no presence of a bitch on heat. Humans and dogs are totally different.
Sex aside, what about the feeling of being male. It won't be there again na. He'd just be there. And did you know that castration could also cause dementia for dogs when at an older age? My guy just leave him stable

1 Like

Re: Neutering My GSD by space9880: 2:32pm On May 03, 2020
Haroldjunior:

Sex aside, what about the feeling of being male. It won't be there again na. He'd just be there. And did you know that castration could also cause dementia for dogs when at an older age? My guy just leave him stable
is not animal cruelty people neuter dogs for various reasons
Re: Neutering My GSD by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 03, 2020
This one that Booster is now 18k from 15k, I think I better consider excess feeding too

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Male GSD Pup Available For Sale / What Specie Of Bird Is This? Can I Keep This Beauty As A Pet? / Adolescent Male Chow Chow 4sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.