Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,294 members, 7,829,679 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? (2478 Views)

Groom Puts Head In Wife's Wedding Gown At Wedding Venue(photos) / LMAO When The White Guy Wants To Jilt His Nigerian Girlfriend ( Photo) / The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by xynerise: 6:06pm On Jan 10, 2011
This is ridiculous. grin.
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by adamsrib(f): 6:12pm On Jan 10, 2011
It means different things in each culture

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_dress
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by Spclst900: 7:05pm On Jan 10, 2011
Virgi wetin? It isn't no more o
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:38pm On Jan 10, 2011
xynerise:

it is the veil i.e those who cover the face, traditionally it was the sign that she is a virgin
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by Phate07(m): 8:07pm On Jan 10, 2011

Signifies purity.
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by Ijeleigbo(m): 8:31pm On Jan 10, 2011
The white gown in this our modern world represents the cloth of a bride.
Virginity is old school, outdated and out of stock.
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by star7(f): 8:46pm On Jan 10, 2011
well i don't think virginity is outdated because there r still virgins out there
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by Phate07(m): 9:15pm On Jan 10, 2011
Wikipedia.org:

Today, Western wedding dresses are usually white, though "wedding white" includes creamy shades such as eggshell, ecru and ivory. Philippa of England was actually the first documented princess in history to wear a white wedding gown during a royal wedding ceremony: she wore a tunic with a cloak in white silk bordered with grey squirrel and ermine).

White did not become a popular option until 1840, after the marriage of Queen Victoria to Albert of Saxe-Coburg. Victoria had worn a white gown for the event so as to incorporate some lace she owned. The official wedding portrait photograph was widely published, and many
other brides opted for a similar dress in honor of the Queen's choice.

How about people that wear other colours like this vietnamese woman below.

Whats the significance?
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by star7(f): 11:15pm On Jan 10, 2011
well that is where cultural relativism comes in. Indians also wear red for weddings and white for funerals so it depends on the culture and the individual also
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by CrazyMan(m): 11:25pm On Jan 10, 2011
xynerise:

Over ridiculous.
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by MrsEve2(f): 11:27pm On Jan 10, 2011
I wore white the day I got married.
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by Nobody: 4:24am On Jan 11, 2011
@ topic: I dunno, all I do know is mine WON'T be. My dress will have flavour believe it!  wink cheesy
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by xynerise: 11:15pm On Jan 12, 2011
^flavour as in wearing a pant on your wedding? grin
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by Dsense(m): 11:48pm On Jan 12, 2011
Mrs, Eve:

I wore white the day I got married.
I saw you wearing brown angry
MzD@rkSkin:

@ topic: I dunno, all I do know is mine WON'T be. My dress will have flavour believe it! wink cheesy
Let's wear Orange color . . pls cry
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by MrsChima(f): 11:50pm On Jan 12, 2011
Typical African man. Sighs.
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by Dsense(m): 12:55am On Jan 13, 2011
**Yawning**
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by adim2(m): 1:50am On Jan 13, 2011
I believe wearing grown now is just to flow with the normal culture of white wedding and personally to me now it does not signify anything but just the tradition of a bride putting on white gown on her wedding day
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by roymary: 3:29am On Jan 13, 2011
@Poster

Yes the White Gown shows Virginity.

Dumb guy + Smart Babe= Marriage.
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by xynerise: 6:20pm On Jan 13, 2011
;d
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by Malstrom(m): 11:41am On Mar 20, 2011
The white wedding dress was popularised because of the wedding of queen Victoria of England. It became the new thing to have a white wedding dress, before people wore colors like red, blue yellow even black mm. First it was mainly the elite that embraced this new trend. It was just another way to show off, that the family of the bride was so wealthy that they could choose a white dress that is harder to clean and which could be ruined by any work or spill,

In Europe, the style of wedding dresses has always had the purpose to portrait as much status and wealth as possible. With expensive fabrics and big amounts of materials. The couple represented their whole family and if it was royal, even their whole country. The reason why queen Victoria choose white was because she wanted to use some lace she already owned. The colour of purity was actuallly BLUE!

White wedding dresses has no actual connection with virginity and purity. This idea is something people have just assumed later on. grin
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by obowunmi(m): 12:38pm On Mar 20, 2011
Interesting conversation.
Re: Seriously Does The White Wedding Gown Represent Virginity? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Mar 20, 2011
@topic no. a rich (famous) european woman from back in the day
wore a supposedly beautiful and extravagant white dress and
it caused a huge fashion trend that ended up being and international
sensation/trend. now i am more than sure she chose white for her
wedding day because of the bull that white means pure, innocence and virginity.

^^nothing up there is made up. do the research. its only because i am not interested
that i dont find out the details. tongue

(1) (Reply)

Forgiven People Is Not A Sin / My Fiancee Confessed Of Being Intimate With Another Person. What Can I Do? / What Is The Nicest Thing Ever Said To You By Another?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.