Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers (48226 Views)

Man Slumps And Dies By Roadside In Port Harcourt (Photos) / Stop Patronizing Herbal Concoctions From Hawkers - NAFDAC / 30 Herbal Medicine Hawkers In Kano Arrested For Using Vulgar Words For Advert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by ikorodureporta: 8:12am On May 03, 2020
DTeekay:
I'm a Microbiologist, I use and discard masks in the lab and never for once have I used one mask for 2days, I have never used my handkerchief or any other piece of cloth other than a medical face mask.

Please Nigerians do not use any mask apart from medical masks, all those fashionable masks that are put there, this is not a fashion parade.

Think of this, so many people have died of this disease, so many doctors, nurses, have u heard of laboratory scientists dieing? But they are the once carrying and working on the sample.

Lab Scientist don't neglect safety rules as much as other health professionals. Take it from one who is experienced in lab tech, don't use any mask that is not medical and change ur mask regularly.

Remember that Corona Virus is not the only virus that is deadly, there are bacteria, Fungi, other viruses that could live on ur mask and cause harm to you.

Secondly, masks should be worn in public places, I see people wearing in their cars, it is unnecessary, keep ur masks clean always. You see the way facial wipes are stored and kept clean, so also u should keep ur mask in a clean environment always.

Thanks and stay safe.

Wearing mask in yr car.... what if you had an encounter with someone on d way?? when are u going to put it on??

For handkerchief as mask, tell those at IDH Yaba.. The day I visited, I saw many people using handkerchief
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by Angelfrost(m): 8:15am On May 03, 2020
Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't buy a protective and sensitive device like face mask from a roadside hawker, except it is properly sealed!!!

This is what happens when leaders and citizens try to cut corners.

You can't effectively lock down because you lack the resources to provide palliatives, and you are also clearly unequipped to discontinue lock down cos you can't provide or subsidize simple protective gear like face masks...

What a Nation!!!
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by Nobody: 8:18am On May 03, 2020
Testing face masks... well this story get the way. Those facemasks are sealed in polythene and i have never seen anyone ask the seller to allow them try it in before purchasing. People should be truthful always and sincere. There's no gain in spreading fear. Except u people are talking of a different facemask sha.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by amamkingchimex: 8:19am On May 03, 2020
���
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by lomprico(m): 8:19am On May 03, 2020
ghettokid1:
And again, government need to ban all these Tailors from producing face masks and authorise some tailors to be doing so.
The one i bought this morning is made with a very dirty clothe.

you cant wash abi?
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by EternalBeing: 8:22am On May 03, 2020
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by ikdaddy01(m): 8:25am On May 03, 2020
Bought one i was to wear immediately, then my friend raised the concern. Realizing he was correct, I went ahead to discharge full dose of sanitizer and methylated spirit on the it. It dried after 30m and became clean.
Options available just think well.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by OgaSolutions: 8:25am On May 03, 2020
IjawAboki007:
I think we should be very careful about the usage of these locally made face masks because of what I saw today. I was in a bus where a passenger called a facemask seller.

After asking for the price, he took one and put it on. He immediately told the seller that he wanted to make another choice. He finally paid for one after putting on about 5 different types. I noticed it and told the man the implication of what he has just done and he became so sober.

Even other passengers were looking fearful because what I said was true. Now, what if that man has the virus, he has succeeded in affecting those masks without knowing.

These infected masks will be bought by other innocent people. It is also possible that is how these facemask hawkers allow buyers to first put it on before they buy.

There is a high possibility the virus can be spread easily this way. For those of us who patronize these local hawkers, let be careful and vigilant.

https://www.nairaland.com/5832377/must-see-cloth-face-masks
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by Deltagate: 8:26am On May 03, 2020
IjawAboki007:
I think we should be very careful about the usage of these locally made face masks because of what I saw today. I was in a bus where a passenger called a facemask seller.

After asking for the price, he took one and put it on. He immediately told the seller that he wanted to make another choice. He finally paid for one after putting on about 5 different types. I noticed it and told the man the implication of what he has just done and he became so sober.

Even other passengers were looking fearful because what I said was true. Now, what if that man has the virus, he has succeeded in affecting those masks without knowing.

These infected masks will be bought by other innocent people. It is also possible that is how these facemask hawkers allow buyers to first put it on before they buy.

There is a high possibility the virus can be spread easily this way. For those of us who patronize these local hawkers, let be careful and vigilant.

Why would a sane person buy face mask on the roadside?
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by OgaSolutions: 8:27am On May 03, 2020
Angelfrost:
Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't buy a protective and sensitive device like face mask from a roadside hawker, except it is properly sealed!!!

This is what happens when leaders and citizens try to cut corners.

You can't effectively lock down because you lack the resources to provide palliatives, and you are also clearly unequipped to discontinue lock down cos you can't provide or subsidize simple protective gear like face masks...

What a Nation!!!

This is sealed

Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by bkool7(m): 8:27am On May 03, 2020
ghettokid1:
And again, government need to ban all these Tailors from producing face masks and authorise some tailors to be doing so.
The one i bought this morning is made with a very dirty clothing.

Every tailor should sew the mask, that way it'll be cheaper.

When I bought my mask from the market. I didn't test it. I took it home washed and ironed it b4 wearing. The mask has elastic so any one can wear it. Why testing it?
If everyone do this ,it'll be safe.
The most important thing is for the mask to be affordable for all. We just have to play safe while buying it.
If govt regulate the makers the price will not be affordable again. And it'll be scarce. Nigerians are exploitative. Just check the prices of foodstuffs now
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by kuntash: 8:30am On May 03, 2020
In as much as I agree with the OP...

I would encourage people not to be discouraged in purchasing the locally made..

Simply see them the way you see your used bend down boutique...

Wash very well before use.... If possible with hot water!
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by emmnprince(m): 8:31am On May 03, 2020
I'd have ascribed this your write-up as a fabrication but I won't because:

1. You might be one of those essential health workers.

2. Some Nigerians did not obey the lockdown directives of their president.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by bkool7(m): 8:31am On May 03, 2020
Deltagate:
Why would a sane person buy face mask on the roadside?

You're living in a fools paradise like our insensitive govt.
Do you know the price of mask now? Someone has not work for over a month and he should buy from the pharmacy or Jumia.

Every tailor should sew it. I don't know why people feel they must test it. If it's the disposable one you bought, will you test it b4 paying?
Just take your mask home, wash and dry. The mask is one size fits all.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by Halo22: 8:32am On May 03, 2020
I think the hawkers should be guided on the dangers involved even as they are hustling for their daily bread. They should also have sanitizer so as to sterilize any mask tested by people who come to buy, if they didn't pick the tested ones. As for me, I was there with my tailor until he finished mine and handed over to me.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by sapeleboi(m): 8:37am On May 03, 2020
you people should have push him out from the bus and zoom off, the man must be a very wicked person

Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by Nobody: 8:37am On May 03, 2020
IjawAboki007:

Oga you heard this story on radio.

It happened in April. Before May 1st.

I heard it too.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by Comedian2019: 8:40am On May 03, 2020
ChybuzzDD:

This is exactly how you selfish, money-conscious Nigerians think.
You don't think about the quality, efficacy and safety of what you're producing for the people; it's all about the profits you'll make from it.
Do you think masks produced by well-guided, government approved, tailors would be the same as those produced by medically-ignorant roadside tailors?
Do those roadside tailors know that a mask should have 3layers, with the middle one being a filter, usually made from a different material with smaller pores?
Do they even know there's something called a 'filter' in a mask??
Don't waste your precious time explaining to ignorant people. The will never understand.
Imagine, I saw a former colleague, who is now a tailor, advertising ankara nose cover on facebook, claiming they are NCDC and NAFDAC approved. I was shocked.
Most people are ignorant. Even those who claim to be educated.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by mysteryman2014: 8:44am On May 03, 2020
IjawAboki007:

The rule of the thumb is when u buy face mask, wash in hot water with disinfectet and iron before use.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by BrutusOj(m): 8:45am On May 03, 2020
IjawAboki007:

Hmmm..there are somethings we are not supposed to buy from those hawkers on the road. How can one test face masks before buying? Common sense should have told the man that he is supposed to wash or iron that fabrics before using it. He endangered himself and others too.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by mysteryman2014: 8:46am On May 03, 2020
Acidosis:

And if you check very well, that man went to school o. The appropriate thing to do is buy, wash, dry and iron. Same process should be repeated daily. It's also advisable to have at least 2 or 3 especially for those who have to go out everyday.

Me I get 8 one for each day, then wash all iron and repeat the cycle.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by ekwerendi(m): 8:51am On May 03, 2020
IjawAboki007:

You copied this...... Don't make it look as if you were the one.... I know where this originated..... But you have given a message.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by kola639: 8:54am On May 03, 2020
IjawAboki007:

You copied this from my friend on Facebook. She posted it April 30. Plagiarism!
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by Jabioro: 8:58am On May 03, 2020
Very informative..OP you have done well.Ours authority will be reading this now and will eventually failed woefully to pronounce such way of selling face mark illegal..
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by Teerach: 9:08am On May 03, 2020
I sell nose mask. I don't allow buyers to even touch it let alone test it. Some get angry n say "so I can't even touch what I'm buying, how would I know if it fits me". I say, look at my face. The one I'm wearing is exactly what I'm selling n in different colours. It is neatly tied in transparent nylon too.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by xpool(m): 9:12am On May 03, 2020
vyncentino:
I honestly believe you didn't read what I said ways you contact the virus is through mouth nose including eye and ear so if you only covers your nose and mouth what about your ears and nose please read before commenting

You are still struggling to make a sensible impute
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by here: 9:13am On May 03, 2020
Why anyone will want to buy mask on the road or traffic light beats me. May we not use our hand to destroy ourselves. That’s how I saw a land cruiser at Bannex on Tuesday and the car owner was trying to buy from a roadside and am like what’s wrong with us around here. If you enter Pharmcy where atleast little safety and guaranty of quality will it be bad? We are so cheap and unorganized even the rich
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by Skillsnigeria: 9:14am On May 03, 2020
The facemask I bought was sealed with a nylon
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by mykingsole: 9:26am On May 03, 2020
tanx 4 d info
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by Pentasoft1978: 9:26am On May 03, 2020
ChybuzzDD:

That's the frustration and anger that have been making you and your likes trying to make money at all costs without putting quality and safety into consideration.
At the end, you kill more people than the same government you hate.
I have seen lots of Ampiclox capsules you and your criminal friends filled with dried/powdered MILK, and sell to innocent, unsuspecting Nigerians as the original drug.
Most of the drugs in the Nigerian markets are fake, courtesy of you and your make-money-quick kind of friends.
Here abroad, when you take ordinary Paracetamol, your whole body will confirm it, because it's original, but it's a different case in Nigeria.
To you, it's all about the money; life doesn't matter.
But no wahala, the spirits of those you've killed will take their revenge on you and all your criminal co-workers sooner than later.

You are the biggest fool of the century , if you can not point out one Nigerian government regulatory agency that is functional. all the examples of fake this and that you are mentioning, can it prevail In a vicinity where there is government and a functional regulations. those people U are mention just for the sake of flapping your mouth do know where they are, can't you ask your so called regulatory Agencies to get them arrested , are they ghost. mumu, is your type that is destroying this country, because you have access to illicit backyard contracts from the government, to you the private sector should be destroyed, so that you and your government cohort can keep milking this country dry.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by Onyedikachi323(m): 9:34am On May 03, 2020
Mind your businesses one thing must to kill a man.
Re: Be Very Careful When Buying Facemask From Roadside Hawkers by bigiyaro(m): 9:56am On May 03, 2020
ghettokid1:
The one i bought this morning is made with a very dirty clothe.
leave govt out of this talk jare, they are not banning anybody, next time you go look well before you buy any item.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Senate Releases List Of 42 Banned Anti-malaria Drugs Still Sold In Nigeria / Yoga With Nigerian Dwarf Goats Craze Takes Off In The US. See Photos / Woman Shows Impressive Transformation 5 Months After Suffering Burns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.