Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,209 members, 7,953,775 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:44 AM

Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) - Business (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) (159462 Views)

Crowd Forces Port-Harcourt Mall To Shut Gate / Best Bank To Open A Savings Account In Nigeria? / Police Fire Tear Gas At Innoson Motors Workers, GTB Moves To Shut Down Factory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by Lexusgs430: 5:12pm On May 03, 2020
Sardauna24:
As i said earlier since na to wish pple badluck u sabi, them go retrench u soner rather than later,so be prepared to received ur sack later any moment from now,so start counting

I would decide when i retire.......... So nothing like retrenchment..........
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by MEGA4BILLION(m): 6:13pm On May 03, 2020
seunmsg:

Let me just help you out of your ignorance.

BankPHB acquired the majority shares of Springbank around December 2008. The acquisition was approved by CBN (see the link I earlier supplied). Consequently, BankPHB became the parent company of Spring bank.

The intention of BankPHB was to integrate the operation of the two banks and come out with a big BankPHB. Unfortunately, some minority shareholders of Spring bank led by its board chairman, Segun Agbetuyi vigorously opposed the acquisition and went to court to frustrate the merger of the two banks.

As a result of the court case, the integration process was put on hold. During the same period, the global economic meltdown of 2008/2009 and the crash of the NSE badly affected the liquidity position of BankPHB. The bank was in distress.

Above was the situation when Sanusi came on board in June, 2009. The new CBN governor conducted a stress test on all the 25 banks in the country and discovered that BankPHB, Spring bank etc were in serious trouble. BankPHB had already acquired Spring bank the previous December but they were operating separately and unable to merge as a result of the pending court case. This doesn’t change the fact that BankPHB owns majority of Spring bank’s shares.

Based on the outcome of the stress test, NDIC took over the two banks and others in similar condition as “bridge banks”. AMCON then came in to acquire the bridge banks and operate them as commercial banks. The successor to BankPHB was renamed Keystone bank while Spring bank was renamed Enterprise bank.

The new owner decide to manage and eventually disposed them off separately. BankPHB and Springbank were both liquidated with the original investors in the two banks getting little or nothing for their investment.

Above is what played out between the two banks. A simple google search of the topic would have cured you from ignorantly asserting confidently that BankPHB never acquired spring bank.

Having intension to buy a land doesn't make one a landlord. For the fact bankPHB had intention to buy Spring bank doesn't mean bankPHB acquired Spring bank, their intentions never materialise nor saw the light of the day.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by erospecial: 6:32pm On May 03, 2020
See Ikwere man that has no universal enlightenment of doing business. He better go back to Ishokpo and be eating catfish!
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by Tunks2017(m): 6:36pm On May 03, 2020
Useless trifling access bank & wapic
........ angry angry

Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by aylikethat(m): 6:44pm On May 03, 2020
GamalNasser:
Hmmm just yesterday I was saying to a friend that I suspect they will close a diamond bank in my estate and I was right , looks they are closing diamond bank branches in areas where they already had Access branches , Methinks Herbert Wigwe is just using COVID crunch as an excuse to ditch Diamond bank staff he inherited in the acquisition
stop saying what you don't know ,they close both real access branch and the acquired ones ,and relieved both staffs of there duties too
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by rOsy247(f): 6:46pm On May 03, 2020
One reason I refused bank work that was offered to me long ago, and I'm glad I did. So hate that job.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by Efemena001(m): 6:47pm On May 03, 2020
So... What happens to Diamond Savings Xtra Promo? False hopes abi? I might just have to shutdown the Account I have with them.
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by GamalNasser: 6:54pm On May 03, 2020
aylikethat:

stop saying what you don't know ,they close both real access branch and the acquired ones ,and relieved both staffs of there duties too
80 percent of the branches closed are diamond so iam right
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by 9jaRealist: 7:10pm On May 03, 2020
livebyday:
Again I repeat

Grow up

Bye

I will continue to ignore the CHILDISH insults...
They merely betray a lack of substance and a crude personal upbringing. SMH

Meanwhile, don't let the door hit you on the way out. grin
>
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by izubext007: 7:16pm On May 03, 2020
if all this branches are closed then access bank has gone into extinction in disguise. hope the share I bought since 2008 would be intact.
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by themanderon: 7:19pm On May 03, 2020
One month lockdown and they are pissing their pants shutting down till December? Na waooooooo....Anyone who has got cash in all these one legged banks had better go secure their funds ohhh...
I have always maintained that banks are nothing but glorified ponzi schemes just one month and they are sinking does it mean with all the billions at they disposal they don't plan for eventualities
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by U1(m): 7:39pm On May 03, 2020
This news hasn't helped what I was contemplating of doing with the account I have with them.

Is it now that they are downsizing that they'd have the time to respond to a complaint email and Twitter post I made since over a month now? undecided Another reason many businesses don't last in Nigeria.
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by suremanpatriot: 7:51pm On May 03, 2020
afuntolulopeseun:

Access bank shuts down all d dix branches?if dey dnt kw anytin abt banking cant dey start water or goat business?
Dey wana increase unemployment rate in Nigerian? Send more thieves to d street?
U av trained workers abt makn Atm cards,cash transfer frm 1 acc to anoda...
All dix workers u ar sending away is disaster to d country
Them get excess branch since they merge with diamond.
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by maybet081: 8:13pm On May 03, 2020
because of covid19, they said but I tell you that this bank is already struggling before the pandemic 300 branches closed is out of proportion
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by onyeomanono24(f): 8:54pm On May 03, 2020
And i ve been complaining of the long hours they waste to attend to people at customer care section now they kuku close the branch. The few available ones will suffer am.

You inherit their customers but you dont want to retain their staff. Whatever joor na condition make me get account with access bank.
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by edemsimeon: 9:23pm On May 03, 2020
NONSENCE! AFTER DEBETED N55 FROM ALL ITS CUSTOMERS' A/C AS ATM MAINTENANCE FEE. ...SOME BANKS ARE SCAMERS
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by Bonugo6: 10:33pm On May 03, 2020
If I may ask. What happens to the customers that are banking with them. What us there fate on their savings I?
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by livebyday(m): 8:02am On May 04, 2020
[s]
9jaRealist:

I will continue to ignore the CHILDISH insults...
They merely betray a lack of substance and a crude personal upbringing. SMH

Meanwhile, don't let the door hit you on the way out. grin
>
[/s]

You said nothing

But typed alot

Grow up
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by jpmoriarti(m): 10:33am On May 04, 2020
The bank has released a statement regarding this. Please lets be guided by truth only.

ACCESS BANK NEITHER CLOSING BRANCHES NOR SACKING STAFF

The attention of Access Bank Plc (‘the Bank’) has been drawn to rumours circulating in the news media that the Bank is closing over 300 of its branches in Nigeria and downsizing its workforce by 75%.
These rumours have justifiably raised concerns among the Bank’s stakeholders including employees, customers, shareholders and the general public.
As a responsible corporate citizen, we wish to inform our esteemed stakeholders as follows:

1. That the closure of a bank branch is an action that requires the approval of the Central Bank of Nigeria and that the Bank has not applied nor obtained the approval of the Central Bank of Nigeria (‘the CBN’) for the closure of any of its branches as widely speculated. The Bank has only suspended operations in some branches following the directive by the CBN.

2. At the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown, we suspended in-branch operations at different locations as directed by the CBN and in line with business continuity plans at vulnerable spots, whilst we continued to provide services through our alternative digital platforms. Beyond complying with the regulatory directive, this action was taken to ensure the health and safety of our customers and employees.

3. In line with the phased re-opening of the economy effective May 4, 2020 following the Presidential directive, we will be resuming in-branch services in some of our affected branches in a programmed manner to ensure the health and safety of our employees and customers. This is also necessary to provide relevant contingency should there be any incident arising from the pandemic.

4. We recognise that the threat of the COVID-19 pandemic is still out there and whilst we will do all that is required to ensure the safety of all our branches in line with the protocol advised by the health authorities, we urge our customers to leverage more of our digital channels for their transactions .We have made significant investment to ensure their availability throughout this period and beyond.

5. We deny in its entirety the baseless and twisted speculation that the Bank is sacking 75% of its workforce. This is malicious and a distraction from a genuine and compassionate plan to protect our staff and help keep jobs in the unfolding macroeconomic environment.

6. We state that based on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, we do not expect that all our branches will be fully opened for in-branch services until later in the year. This has made it impossible for many of our outsourced workers to perform their duties as usual.

7. Based on the above-mentioned circumstances, we have commenced engagement with various stakeholders with a view to ensuring that they provide the relevant services and optimum manpower as may be required by the Bank on an on-going basis.

8. As we navigate the new normal occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic we wish to assure all our esteemed stakeholders that in our traditional manner the Bank will continue to ensure that its actions and decisions are guided by fairness, justice, equity and good conscience.

Signed
Management

Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by aremso(m): 10:32pm On May 04, 2020
rOsy247:
One reason I refused bank work that was offered to me long ago, and I'm glad I did. So hate that job.

useless work if i may call it that way

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by aremso(m): 10:43pm On May 04, 2020
onyeomanono24:
And i ve been complaining of the long hours they waste to attend to people at customer care section now they kuku close the branch. The few available ones will suffer am.

You inherit their customers but you dont want to retain their staff. Whatever joor na condition make me get account with access bank.

be your own boss is the main koko, you cant tell your employer how he should run his business. Rat race does not pay in the long run, Jim of zenith bank earns about 13billion yrly in dividend same wt Elumelu and segun agbaje they all earn billions in dividend yrly and yet some staffs doea not have a unit of shares of the bank they work. Am not woking in zenith but am targeting dividend of around 3m by end of this yr and that is how i will be collecting as long as they make profit. I dont need to work their of maintain my account wt them, this is the time to wise up!
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by ebukabanky(m): 11:54pm On May 04, 2020
Embrace E-payment solution u say no......this is not a big deal if u have a mobile app.....jus transfer all ur funds to ur other bank simple.
Re: Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) by Nobody: 12:02pm On May 05, 2020

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) / Helping Hands International Are They Real Or Scam? / Shipping Goods From Usa To Nigeria - Which Is The Cheapest?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.