Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Being Black In Berlin/germany - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Being Black In Berlin/germany (159629 Views)

Nigerian Man Stranded & Acting Unwell In Berlin. Do You Know Him? / Nigerian Embassy Staff In Berlin Sleeping With Women For Passport Renewal Caught / Deji Yesufu: Coronavirus, Cancelled Flights In Berlin, Nigerian Saves Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (95) (Go Down)

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by GreatMage: 10:36am On May 08, 2020
tomiwaaa:

simple and apt answer.
instead of all the unnecessary yarn about putting questions on one thread or another.
thanks.
Welcome
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Vvision: 1:07pm On May 08, 2020
I must commend your intelligence, clarity of mind and articulation. I have been working in Berlin since Jan 2019 and I agree with virtually everything you have said about life in Berlin. I also enjoyed reading your description.

Danielhouston:
Thank you to everyone that has been following this thread. It’s been a pleasure sharing these stories with you and I loved every minute of it.

Unfortunately the thread has gone in a different direction now. Not what I expected but I know how the internet can be. I will focus on other things now and maybe check back next week to see if we can continue.

I love you guys, never stop dreaming and never stop trying. It will get better.

5 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by olioxx(m): 2:27pm On May 08, 2020
Vvision:
I have been working in Berlin since Jan 2019 and I agree with virtually everything.

How is the Cyber security space in Berlin (or Germany) in general?
Is that country a good place to work in IT security?
I would appreciate your reply.

3 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Hadampson(m): 3:18pm On May 08, 2020
olioxx:

It's been a while bro.

I sight you.

Bro, longest time

How have you been smiley
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by JewelStone(f): 4:01pm On May 08, 2020
Danielhouston:
Thank you to everyone that has been following this thread. It’s been a pleasure sharing these stories with you and I loved every minute of it.
Geez you make me want to visit Berlin, it sounds so exciting unlike Sydney. Europeans certainly have more fun...

You're description of Dusseldorf is spot on cos I had one of my best partying experiences there a couple of years ago when life was simpler pre marriage, kids etc.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I was comparing it to my experience here in Sydney, and the reality is that Africans migrating to western countries have similar problems; albeit in varying degrees. Australia is beautiful...it's easy to find well paying jobs and build a good life (in Sydney at least but cost of living is crazy); but it's also one of the most boring places on earth!!! My lifestyle is more suited for western Europe, and the thought of spending the rest of my life in Straya does my head in. But I'm stuck cos my hubby will never want to move away from his family and his career and start life all over in a foreign country cry

Cheers mate...at least you're having fun in Berlin and I'm so jealous smiley

24 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Brightfab(m): 4:10pm On May 08, 2020
I love Australia
JewelStone:

Geez you make me want to visit Berlin, it sounds so exciting unlike Sydney. Europeans certainly have more fun...

You're description of Dusseldorf is spot on cos I had one of my best partying experiences there a couple of years ago when life was simpler pre marriage, kids etc.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I was comparing it to my experience here in Sydney, and the reality is that Africans migrating to western countries have similar problems; albeit in varying degrees. Australia is beautiful...it's easy to find well paying jobs and build a good life (in Sydney at least but cost of living is crazy); but it's also one of the most boring places on earth!!! My lifestyle is more suited for western Europe, and the thought of spending the rest of my life in Straya does my head in. But I'm stuck cos my hubby will never want to move away from his family and his career and start life all over in a foreign country cry

2 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by heniford2: 4:25pm On May 08, 2020
Danielhouston:
A lot of people seem to expect so much from a country that is not theirs. Yes, Germany is not molded for black people and foreigners in general to prosper. We’ve said that endlessly. Germany is not Hollywood either where dreams come true. Not even for German citizens.

The Germans are living comfortably, working, renting a flat, paying bills, going on vacations, getting married and growing old. They’re not striving to be Bill Gates or Oprah. Foreigners also get that comfortability, except that it comes at a higher price and with a cross to carry. If you want to achieve more, find somewhere that can give you more.

Let’s leave racism and history now. Germany offers asylum to people, gives them money from the job center for rent, transportation, food, pays their health insurance and money for pleasure. They also get to enroll in a language school free of charge, which the German government pays for to help them integrate. They can also take up training or education at the government’s expense, get a job, after 6 years they can apply for a German passport.

Germany offers free education to foreigners without taking their money, even the blocked account money is for you. You can get a German degree which is world class, for free and migrate to another country to work. They won’t stop you. Yet you’re cursing them.

Talk about menial jobs, somebody has to do it. It’s the same in USA with Mexicans and other foreigners doing the jobs Americans won’t do. People from EU countries also do menial jobs in Germany. So it’s not only black people. Sure, there is racism attached to it but it’s also a sacrifice in a country that is not ours.

I have done 4 surgeries which was covered by health insurance, if I was in Nigeria I would have posted my picture on Facebook for Nigerians to donate money so I won’t die. There are also foreigners here getting regular treatment like people living with HIV, those with cancer and other diseases. Which they would suffer to get in Nigeria.

During Coronavirus crisis, Germany offered money to everyone who lost their job or business, through the job center. They gave €5000 to artists, both Germans and immigrants, gave out free food and provided housing to those in need. Meanwhile, Nigerian finance house is burning down and Nigerians were on lockdown without food for 2 weeks.

Germany is safer than Nigeria. I was arrested last year when I visited Nigeria because police said I looked like a yahoo boy. They almost killed me for nothing. In Germany, I can wear whatever I want and do whatever hair I want, nobody will care. In case of emergency, police is a phone call away, so is ambulance.

If you get a German residence permit, whether as a student or refugee, you can travel around other Schengen countries as you like, without visa. You can get a 2 year US visa in 3 days without stress, they send it to your house. 6 month UK visa in one or two weeks. Students also enjoy free transportation and other benefits.

Racism is everywhere. It is worse in the US, blacks in the UK also suffer from it. See what they did to us in China, they are selling us in Arab countries, they also hate us in Latin America. You are black and no matter where you go, you will NEVER be seen as equal. Stop acting like Germany is the most racist country on earth and they’re holding your breakthrough.

What Germany lacks is representation. Unlike USA and UK, Germany never had a strong black community. The Turkish people are to Germany what blacks are to USA (minus slavery). That’s why there are Turkish police officers, doctors, other jobs but almost no blacks. There is no representation of black people in Germany. Plus, we are not many over here compared to UK or USA.

Before a company offers a job, they have to offer it to a German, then an EU citizen, then an immigrant. Is it fair? No. But it’s their country. Maybe if Nigeria did the same, we won’t have many Nigerians being gatemen and security guards for white people in Lagos.

So please, stop whining. You can complain about racism and discrimination, I support that, but don’t come here demonizing Germany like it is hell fire. If you hated it so much, why don’t you leave?

Stop discouraging people who want to come here and change their lives, from coming. We need more black people here. That’s how we create representation. Since more black Americans have been coming here, things have been changing because important topics are now being discussed to promote inclusion.

Bye.
can i come to Germany and seek asylum or refugee and also be able to get a job i really need to leave Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by here: 5:01pm On May 08, 2020
Good work@op
Please can you tell what the disadvantages are for part time masters programme if the person is eligible for post study stay. Trying to find program for a relative and keep seeing part time in his field for masters
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by yvelchstores(f): 10:10pm On May 08, 2020
Nice thread op. I don't see what I did wrong. We are discussing Berlin. I posted what I know about Berlin not Benin. It was not my intention to divert any thread. For all those people insulting their transformer not me, God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Zebulun1: 10:42pm On May 08, 2020
@danielhouston... good day bro.. please i would like to know about living qualities in munster germany.... how good Munster city is for foreign students..
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Lamanii22(f): 12:04am On May 09, 2020
Danielhouston:

This one too. They can have sex with you and when you want to relax and chill, they throw you out. They’re very direct and blunt. They don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. They expect you to be too.

They are kinda acting like dem Russians....
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Lamanii22(f): 12:13am On May 09, 2020
Danielhouston:
Please, people who keep asking if they can get a job after studying in Germany, I have answered the question many times. You cannot keep asking the same question with different professions. The answer is the same. Yes, you can get a job. You have to look for a job. There are uncertainties just like everywhere else. Pls stop naming different professions and asking the same question.

Now you sound like a German lol

5 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Bollove: 4:37am On May 09, 2020
willy2000:
The problem is not your phone it is nairaland, this is 2020, where phone cameras capture 48 or more MP and you can upload such to FB or insta. but nairaland has refused to leave the 2000s. I don't know why seun has refused to revamp or update the site.
No competition... That is why !!

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by geedot: 6:52am On May 09, 2020
noobs123:

You said nothing but the truth. No matter the passport, study permit and permanent resident, deep down, you are still a foreigner in another man’s country. Each time I enter Naija I feel the atmosphere differently like a real home. Yes its dirty, no light, bad roads, no security but always remind me of my root and where I come from.

Those Akata in America are still pained for not knowing their roots, some came all the way down to other African countries tracing their roots.

I curse our leaders for making us living as second class citizen in other countries in the name of greener pastures each time I visit home.

Why would you put all your investments in foreign country, example was the man that violated law ignorantly and got deported. Yes, he got what he deserved but that’s a remainder for us that this isn’t home, anything can happen, law can be changed. Be wise invest home.

As soon as I clock a certain age, I’m moving back home and yes real HOME.
Everyone to his own opinion.
If you're not among the elite, political class, or the Royal class, in Nigeria you're already a second class citizen.

Since the outbreak of COVID19, guess those that got tested first? Those I mentioned above. Majority of Nigerians are second class citizens by default even in their country.

That's why I don't buy into the idea of not going abroad based on excuse of not wanting to be a second class citizen abroad, only those I mentioned above can say that and I would see a genuine reason.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Goalnaldo(m): 7:28am On May 09, 2020
Danielhouston:
I studied Economics (master) and I currently work at Zolando (a fashion and lifestyle company) in Berlin. That’s where most foreigners in Berlin work because you can work with English. Most jobs in Berlin are English speaking and international because there are many start-up companies here. Most people in Berlin work in IT.

I have done menial jobs like working at DHL, Amazon, Volkswagen, Edeka and factory work. The best were Amazon and Volkswagen. Even as a student you can get paid up to €2000 a month working there. They usually offer short term contracts to students and especially in Christmas season when there are high demands.

The first company I worked for was an agency that was recruiting for big factories. The manager was very racist and rude. Most black people working there did not have a choice because they don’t have papers or couldn’t find a better job. The Germans usually put Russians and Polish people as supervisors in those kind of companies because they are racist and can treat black people like slaves. Very hard job to carry heavy equipments. I quit on my first day. All the black guys I saw walking there could not stand straight.

After I quit, I filed a complaint about the company and promised to expose them and get the press involved. I hated the way they treated us. They eventually closed down the agency and reviewed the working conditions.

I also worked at Frankfurt International Airport. They scrutinized me for that job, including requiring a police report from Nigeria because it’s a high level security job. The experience was great, I met lots of travelers and got good tips but the salary was small as a student.

Many blacks here usually do “Ausbildung” (vocational training) that qualifies you to work in a specific field. Most of them work as nurses, at the airport, at a car company, or working with old and disabled people. It mostly the refugees that do this. Some with German passports do it too.

You will not find a black person working in the bank or at the front desk of a hospital. You’ll rarely and almost never see a black doctor. The day I went to a dentist in Berlin and my dentist was a black woman, I cried. She was smiling and crying as well. You rarely even see a black bus or train driver. Only a handful.

Berlin is an art city and most black people here are Black Americans who are artists and on a freelance visa. You’ll also find lots of Black Brits. A lot of black people in Berlin have professional jobs and are well paid to the standard of Berlin. Most working in IT or a start up company.

A lot of blacks here are refugees as well and most of them depend on “Hartz iv” (government benefits). They just sit at home and receive money from government every month. They receive from €600 to €800. It is an obligation of the government to support the non-working class. You’ll need to be refugee or German citizen to qualify for that. Also need to prove you’re unable to work and you’re trying to get a job.

In summary, you can get a professional job after you study. Just don’t sit in one city. Try other cities. I discovered that mostly Africans don’t like to change cities. They become comfortable getting their chicken change instead of moving to a better city where life would be better. Also try to learn German.
imagine been paid 230k sitting at home. Most masters holders can't enjoy such luxury in Nigeria.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Goalnaldo(m): 7:40am On May 09, 2020
kolnel:

I’ve experienced more racism from Russians, Polish, Arabs and Turks in Germany than I have from Germans. Germany is no where near USA when it comes to racism. USA takes the cake. The thing is, Germans are VERY good at pretending. Even if they don’t like you, they will still be polite to you but you’ll know by the way they treat you. They also care SO MUCH about their reputation because of their history.

Very much true
The racism here in yankee is unparalleled, the whites just don’t like us

But then even in Nigeria, there’s racism, the northerners don’t like the easterners, the easterners don’t like the the west
So racism is everywhere
what we have in Nigeria is tribalism and ethnicism. Racism has to do with skin colours.

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Goalnaldo(m): 7:47am On May 09, 2020
Danielhouston:

I don’t understand. You want to get a job with a 6 month visit visa? That is not possible. You cannot work with a visit visa and nobody will hire you. There’s no manipulation in regards to that. Only if you intend to apply for Asylum, then you’d have to tell them why you need Asylum.

I have not lived in Canada. I have only visited. So I cannot give a genuine opinion about life in Canada as it compares to Germany. I can definitely tell you that Canadians are helplessly polite and say “sorry” every minute. Canada is also cleaner. Germany seems to be safer and richer. They both have good health care system. Only barrier would be language in Germany. Otherwise, I would say it’s a safe haven
is that why Justin Bieber sang sorry
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Potatochips(m): 9:04am On May 09, 2020
mic01:
Thanks Daniel. I am not focusing on white girls to be honest. i am open to different nationalities and it is actually tough getting a white here and for the blacks, You know how it is when they are few black girls, everybody will want to be on their case. That was why i asked since you have been in germany before us. maybe you likely to have an idea. Thanks much, I will try tinder. Another thing is that i will like to ask if you know any event planners in germany here. I used to be an Event Mc in nigeria before coming here and i am trying to penetrate the event industry in germany. i mean for pple who are having their weddings, birthdays etc. If u have an idea on how to go about that i will appreciate. Thanks a lot for sharing ur thoughts here. most pple wont understand the sacrifrice you making. Life in germany can be very tough, u have no time for urself. Thumbs up bro.
The struggle is real, bro. Getting a nice girl here ain't that easy, men. But las las, we go dey alright.
You could try 'ok cupid' and see if it works for you.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Brightfab(m): 9:29am On May 09, 2020
yvelchstores:
Nice thread op. I don't see what I did wrong. We are discussing Berlin. I posted what I know about Berlin not Benin. It was not my intention to divert any thread. For all those people insulting their transformer not me, God bless you.

Now that you've succeeded in derailing the thread and making OP take a break from here,can you now go back to whatever shit hole you're coming from >:

12 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Mizwisdom(f): 11:20am On May 09, 2020
JewelStone:

Join a Nigerian Church cheesy
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by justwise(m): 11:23am On May 09, 2020
Danielhouston:

Unfortunately the thread has gone in a different direction now. Not what I expected but I know how the internet can be. I will focus on other things now and maybe check back next week to see if we can continue.

Let me know when you want this thread reopened.

You did a great job here, Unfortunately some trolls derailed it, sorry that I did not moderate it like I usually do.

Send me a pm or mention my ID anytime you want it reopened

19 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by justwise(m): 6:42pm On May 09, 2020
Danielhouston:

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by SpaceX: 6:48pm On May 09, 2020
Last man standing
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 09, 2020
Berlin in pictures today.

This is Warschauer str. It is one of the busy places in Berlin and a hip area to live and hangout. You’ll find musicians, hipsters, drug dealers, workers, homeless people, and party goers here.

It is also home to Universal Music berlin (record label) and music venues such as Mercedes Benz Arena (artists like Beyoncé, Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars and many more have performed there). Verti Music Hall (artists like Emeli Sandé, Keith Urban, Niall Horan, JP Cooper have performed there).
It is also a tourist location and some Hollywood movies have been shot here.

There are clubs here and a street named “Simon Dach str” which has a lot of bars and restaurants, perfect for a night out or when you have a date.

Find pictures below

19 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 09, 2020
More

8 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 09, 2020

9 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:46pm On May 09, 2020
Badehaus is another live music venue. There’s a weekly jam session hosted by some Nigerian rappers at Badehaus. Nigerian artists like Tuface Idibia, Harry Songs, etc have performed at Badehaus. It is also where you see lots of white girls looking for black men.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 09, 2020
This place is where you find the black drug dealers. This is usually where they hang out. Sometimes the police shows up and sometimes they look away. But now it’s empty because Corona...

12 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 09, 2020
More from Warschauer str

10 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:53pm On May 09, 2020

8 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 09, 2020

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (95)

Tell Us About The City Where You Live / A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.