Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,208 members, 7,829,323 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Being Black In Berlin/germany - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Being Black In Berlin/germany (160262 Views)

Nigerian Man Stranded & Acting Unwell In Berlin. Do You Know Him? / Nigerian Embassy Staff In Berlin Sleeping With Women For Passport Renewal Caught / Deji Yesufu: Coronavirus, Cancelled Flights In Berlin, Nigerian Saves Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (95) (Go Down)

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Tinyemeka(m): 2:46pm On May 11, 2020
Danielhouston:

But you see these white girls that parade Afro clubs looking for black boys to tidy them, those ones know what’s up. They even know Nigerian food. One German girl came to my house once. I was about to eat. She saw my food and said “ah Egusi, I like egusi and pounded yam...” She told me her ex was Nigerian.
I pursue the girl from my house. Oya madam, carry your jacket and go.

grin grin grin

Crazy you!
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 2:58pm On May 11, 2020
Let’s talk about religion in Germany.

Germans are not religious. They observe all the Christian public holidays but they don’t believe in God. Some do but majority don’t. They mainly have Catholic and Protestant churches and the churches are also tourist locations. In fact, you can rent the church for your photoshoot or to shoot a rap music video and shake ya a$$.

They also pay church tax. People in Bavaria pay 8% of their income tax and the rest of Germany pay about 9%. Foreigners also pay it too but mostly people from EU countries. As soon as they’re registered in Germany, the registration form includes their religion and they pay accordingly. Whether they believe in God or not, they must run him his money.

Religious holidays are usually days to travel or chill at home. Best if it falls on a Thursday or Friday, they just travel for the weekend. Christmas in Germany is celebrated on 24th of December. Not 25th like the rest of the world. So don’t be surprised if people wish you Merry Christmas on 24th and stay quiet on 25th.

Most restaurants are usually not open on Christmas Day 24th, they open on 25th instead. Or they close early. So if your plan is to eat out, you may want to buy ingredients and cook at home. Christmas is usually boring as Germans travel to their families and people are mostly indoors. All you can enjoy are beautiful lights and trees.
It is also a season for prostitutes to make money. Because people get bored with their families and move away to have quick sex.

If a German family is inviting you for Christmas, be ready for some weirdness. Their eating style is different. They can make bread and cake with some Glühwein (Christmas wine), cookies, and some eat chicken and all. Foreigners who spent Christmas with their German boyfriend/girlfriend’s family, complained about being hungry. Better eat at home or go with your food.

Last year, my German friend did not go to his family for Christmas because his mother refused to cook. Their parents told them not to come, they didn’t feel like hosting anybody. The parents went to the “old people’s home” to eat Christmas food instead. Yes, they’re weird like that.

24 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Hadampson(m): 3:02pm On May 11, 2020
Danielhouston:
Let’s talk about religion in Germany.

Germans are not religious. They observe all the Christian public holidays but they don’t believe in God. Some do but majority don’t. They mainly have Catholic and Protestant churches and the churches are also tourist locations. In fact, you can rent the church for your photoshoot or to shoot a rap music video and shake ya a$$.

They also pay church tax. People in Bavaria pay 8% of their income tax and the rest of Germany pay about 9%. Foreigners also pay it too but mostly people from EU countries. As soon as they’re registered in Germany, the registration form includes their religion and they pay accordingly. Whether they believe in God or not, they must run him his money.

Religious holidays are usually days to travel or chill at home. Best if it falls on a Thursday or Friday, they just travel for the weekend. Christmas in Germany is celebrated on 24th of December. Not 25th like the rest of the world. So don’t be surprised if people wish you Merry Christmas on 24th and stay quiet on 25th.

Most restaurants are usually not open on Christmas Day 24th, they open on 25th instead. Or they close early. So if your plan is to eat out, you may want to buy ingredients and cook at home. Christmas is usually boring as Germans travel to their families and people are mostly indoors. All you can enjoy are beautiful lights and trees.
It is also a season for prostitutes to make money. Because people get bored with their families and move away to have quick sex.

If a German family is inviting you for Christmas, be ready for some weirdness. Their eating style is different. They can make bread and cake with some Glühwein (Christmas wine), cookies, and some eat chicken and all. Foreigners who spent Christmas with their German boyfriend/girlfriend’s family, complained about being hungry. Better eat at home or go with your food.

Last year, my German friend did not go to his family for Christmas because his mother refused to cook. Their parents told them not to come, they didn’t feel like hosting anybody. The parents went to the “old people’s home” to eat Christmas food instead. Yes, they’re weird like that.

Interesting smiley cool

Waiting for more
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 11, 2020
Black Churches in Germany.

There are some Nigerian and African churches in Germany as well. You could find about 2 churches in smaller cities and many more in a big city like Berlin. In Berlin we have Christ Embassy, RCCG, Winners and some others I can’t remember. The pastors are usually more educated than the ones in Nigeria. Some studied in Germany, some were transferred from the UK and some came to hustle and opened a Church after.

If you’re hoping to be a full time pastor here, you may want to rethink your options. You better get a job or do business like the rest of them. This is not Nigeria where people sow seed faith for financial breakthrough.
The Nigerian logic behind financial breakthrough does not apply here. Your boss will not send you on errand talk less of leaving the change for you. Nobody will give you money, not even as favor or as thank you. You work and get your salary. They will not add €1 to your salary because God said so.

Some pastors are also into dodgy business. A few years ago, a Nigerian pastor was arrested here on charges of human trafficking. Some for fraud. You will see your pastor at Rathaus or even job center waiting for money. You might even see him in the shop buying second-hand clothes like you.

There are also some black American churches. There’s a famous one in Berlin and some American celebrities have visited there. I don’t know what they do there but they said it’s a church. The day I went there, they took break every 30 minutes to smoke cigarettes and eat food. Even the pianist is openly gay. It’s all about freedom. God loves you as you are! The music is great though

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 3:35pm On May 11, 2020
In Berlin we also have church of Scientology and fellowship for people into devil worship. I once lived with a house mate that was into devil worship. One day he was chasing another flat mate around the building with a big sword. Police came and took him away.

There are also tarot card readers and witches. They openly tell you that they’re witches. They don’t consider it a bad thing. In fact, they post their activities to Instagram. I have some German friends who go for tarot readings to learn about their future or to know about the new boyfriend they just met. Some Germans also find these things absolutely crazy.

There’s also “Mormon churches”. Those ones I personally find annoying. They disturb you and don’t know when to stop. The week I arrived Germany, two young German boys came to me to preach about their Mormon religion and invited me to their church. They also gave me their bible. I went home and told my German flat mates. They said yeah, they’re crazy.

One week later, those boys came to my house to look for me. I don’t know how they knew my address or my name. But they rang the bell and asked for me. My German flat mate chased them away and threw their bible back at them.
Yeah, you could run into them. Some stand at train stations handing out leaflets. They usually approach black people cos they know we’re religious or they try to attract us with help from their church as per, if you’re a refugee who needs help.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Memberclub(m): 4:04pm On May 11, 2020
Danielhouston:
In Berlin we also have church of Scientology and fellowship for people into devil worship. I once lived with a house mate that was into devil worship. One day he was chasing another flat mate around the building with a big sword. Police came and took him away.

There are also tarot card readers and witches. They openly tell you that they’re witches. They don’t consider it a bad thing. In fact, they post their activities to Instagram. I have some German friends who go for tarot readings to learn about their future or to know about the new boyfriend they just met. Some Germans also find these things absolutely crazy.

There’s also “Mormon churches”. Those ones I personally find annoying. They disturb you and don’t know when to stop. The week I arrived Germany, two young German boys came to me to preach about their Mormon religion and invited me to their church. They also gave me their bible. I went home and told my German flat mates. They said yeah, they’re crazy.

One week later, those boys came to my house to look for me. I don’t know how they knew my address or my name. But they rang the bell and asked for me. My German flat mate chased them away and threw their bible back at them.
Yeah, you could run into them. Some stand at train stations handing out leaflets. They usually approach black people cos they know we’re religious or they try to attract us with help from their church as per, if you’re a refugee who needs help.
Your friend is funny oo
Please continue posting here. I love reading them

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:06pm On May 11, 2020
Let’s talk about crime in Germany.

Germany is generally safe and guns are not allowed. Only police officers and those with “special” permits can have guns. You also cannot walk around with a knife or any dangerous object whether for protection or self defense. People carry pepper spray in their bags, even though you’re not really allowed to. If it saves you from being attacked, they can excuse it.

There have been cases of violence and attacks mostly from Arabs. Lots of homophobic attacks as well as religious attacks. They had to establish a special police unit in charge of homophobic attacks, whether verbal or physical. Some Jews have been attacked for wearing a particular outfit. The police don’t play with these things.

Some time ago in Berlin, a girl was kicked down the stairs at the train station by a group of Arab guys and they posted the video to find help in identifying them. A girl was also killed when she tried to protect her friend from being raped in a public rest room. A black guy punched a gay man in the face out of homophobia. Things like these happen.

There’s also the Turkish mafia. They are untouchable and invisible. I never witnessed their impact in Berlin but I hear about them. They kill each other and run locations like Neukölln and Schoneberg, which have a high Turkish population. To me, they’re non existent as I don’t see their impact but word on the street is that, they are powerful.

If you commit a crime, it goes into your record and you don’t stand a chance of getting a German passport or getting a good job. So, be careful. Something as simple as fighting can destroy your record. I know someone who can’t get a good job because he has a police case for stalking and harassing his girlfriend after they broke up. He’s an EU citizen.

If you’re walking at night in a quiet street, better don’t cover your ears with headphone and loud music. Be alert. Women also get verbally abused and cat called by mostly Arab guys when they’re walking. Asians get made fun of as well.
If you witness or are a victim of a crime, be sure to have it recorded or have a witness. It helps the police catch and deal with the perpetrators easily.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by belcom10(m): 4:12pm On May 11, 2020
Hmmm, things are really happening around the world. People talking a break to smoke in church.
I fear. Well done Danielhuston for all this info.

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 11, 2020
Danielhouston:
Thanks for your time smiley
I watched Mark weins( very popular food eater all over the world on youtube though he has refused to come to Nigeria cry) eating schnitzel in Munich.
For every meal, there is a glass of beer cheesy

The cities are soooo clean.
Just like these pictures of yours.

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by belcom10(m): 4:16pm On May 11, 2020
@ Daniel pls how genuine is this European job site, EURES.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:41pm On May 11, 2020
Germany does not have a “stand your ground” law. Meaning that self defense only applies to physical harm to a human being, not property or non living thing.
For example: if someone attacks you or breaks into your shop with a gun to harm you or someone else, you can step in and it would be considered self defense. But if a they just came to steal or destroy your property, you cannot retaliate as self defense. Your property is not a human being.

Compared to America where you can shoot a burglar for breaking into your house, as self defense, in Germany it would be considered a crime. Even if it is your chickens or your goat the person is attacking, if your life is not in danger, call the police.

You also cannot walk around with a pepper spray as self defense. You must call it “animal defense spray” instead. Don’t tell anyone it is to protect yourself from human beings. But you can definitely use it to protect yourself from someone. Just formally call it “animal defense spray”.

Verbal attacks and fighting is not allowed. Even a playful pillow fight is not legal. Pillow fights are considered passive weapons. No problem if you’re just playing but if the person you hit with a pillow should press charges, it can be considered an assault.

If someone attacks you or even calls you the N-word, you can punch or hit them. Only things is; you must react within 10 seconds (not exactly sure the number) of the attack. For example: if someone slaps you, you have 10 seconds to hit them back in self defense. If you take longer than 10 seconds, your action is considered pre-meditated and can be charged as assault. Also don’t do too much! Don’t hit them more than they did to you.

You also cannot blackmail someone or post their information, picture or video online. Even if someone attacks you, you cannot post the video of the attack online, with their face in it. It is only for the police and your lawyer. Also consider noise making. No loud music or noise from 10pm. Your neighbor can call the police.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 11, 2020
belcom10:
@ Daniel pls how genuine is this European job site, EURES.

Never heard of it

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:50pm On May 11, 2020
Later I will share some information about the police, what they can and cannot do, and your rights when you have a confrontation with them.
But for now, I need a break. Happy reading smiley

18 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by damtan(m): 4:56pm On May 11, 2020
Danielhouston:
Germany does not have a “stand your ground” law. Meaning that self defense only applies to physical harm to a human being, not property or non living thing.
For example: if someone attacks you or breaks into your shop with a gun to harm you or someone else, you can step in and it would be considered self defense. But if a they just came to steal or destroy your property, you cannot retaliate as self defense. Your property is not a human being.

Compared to America where you can shoot a burglar for breaking into your house, as self defense, in Germany it would be considered a crime. Even if it is your chickens or your goat the person is attacking, if your life is not in danger, call the police.

You also cannot walk around with a pepper spray as self defense. You must call it “animal defense spray” instead. Don’t tell anyone it is to protect yourself from human beings. But you can definitely use it to protect yourself from someone. Just formally call it “animal defense spray”.

Verbal attacks and fighting is not allowed. Even a playful pillow fight is not legal. Pillow fights are considered passive weapons. No problem if you’re just playing but if the person you hit with a pillow should press charges, it can be considered an assault.

If someone attacks you or even calls you the N-word, you can punch or hit them. Only things is; you must react within 10 seconds (not exactly sure the number) of the attack. For example: if someone slaps you, you have 10 seconds to hit them back in self defense. If you take longer than 10 seconds, your action is considered pre-meditated an can be charged as assault. Also don’t do too much! Don’t hit them more than they did to you.

You also cannot blackmail someone or post their information, picture or video online. Even if someone attacks you, you cannot post the video of the attack online, with their face in it. It is only for the police and your lawyer. Also consider noise making. No loud music or noise from 10pm. Your neighbor can call the police.
It's so nice reading all these honestly. Germany, here I come.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by UrFears: 5:23pm On May 11, 2020
Danielhouston:
Later I will share some information about the police, what they can and cannot do, and your rights when you have a confrontation with them.
Thanks for sharing Dan.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by amikable97: 5:57pm On May 11, 2020
Danielhouston:

Thanks DanielHouston, your posts are really educative cool
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Hadampson(m): 6:10pm On May 11, 2020
Danielhouston:

Thanks Dan for sharing "bitter truth" about Germany with us. We really appreciate smiley
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:25pm On May 11, 2020
Berlin in pictures.

This is Frankfurter Tor. Another cool place to chill and live in Berlin. Young vibrant area and there’s usually a lot of people chilling, eating, playing loud music from speakers, skating and dancing here...(pre-Coronavirus)

12 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 11, 2020

7 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:28pm On May 11, 2020

7 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 11, 2020

8 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:32pm On May 11, 2020
If you’ll be studying at HTW in Berlin, here is your campus at Tier Park

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 11, 2020
This is a small mall in Warschauer str, but it can give you can idea of what our malls look like. Equivalent of Shoprite in Nigeria

10 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 11, 2020

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 11, 2020

10 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 11, 2020
This is what markets look like. Supermarkets where we buy food and household items. An equivalent of Mile12 market in Lagos.

11 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 11, 2020

6 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 11, 2020
PS: you’re all welcome. I appreciate your kind words and gratitude. I cannot respond to all of them but I see them and I really love sharing these stories with you.

Let me know if you have questions (that have not already been answered).

21 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by seankafor(m): 9:19pm On May 11, 2020
Danielhouston:
PS: you’re all welcome. I appreciate your kind words and gratitude. I cannot respond to all of them but I see them and I really love sharing these stories with you.

what is the consent sex age or what do they call it?
An age someone can be dubbed to be ripe for relationship and sex.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Amethyst101(m): 10:13pm On May 11, 2020
Wonderful, as usual, DanielHouston smiley
Danke schön!
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Acuna91: 10:54pm On May 11, 2020
Danielhouston:

Guy this your thread is over detailed jare. As if I'm in Berlin already angry
BTW do you know anything about life in Munster, Bochum and Dortmund. Because that will be my most probable city. Thanks again

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by odinga1of: 11:22pm On May 11, 2020
seankafor:
what is the consent sex age or what do they call it?
An age someone can be dubbed to be ripe for relationship and sex.

OP plz answer this one first, make we know were we dey

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (95)

Tell Us About The City Where You Live / A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.