Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

Being Black In Berlin/germany - Travel (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Being Black In Berlin/germany (159153 Views)

Nigerian Man Stranded & Acting Unwell In Berlin. Do You Know Him? / Nigerian Embassy Staff In Berlin Sleeping With Women For Passport Renewal Caught / Deji Yesufu: Coronavirus, Cancelled Flights In Berlin, Nigerian Saves Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (95) (Go Down)

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by skylane: 11:19am On Aug 06, 2020
Danielhouston:

I don’t understand your question. You want to go to Germany as a student and then do Forex trading online? Or you want to go as a worker to do online Forex business? There is no special visa for Forex traders. Go online and check the type of visas Germany offers.
if I go as a student and maybe still trade forex will that be allowed?
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by insightful01(m): 12:21pm On Aug 06, 2020
Danielhouston:
Let me explain how to use google map when you arrive in a new country.

Before you leave Nigeria, get an Android or iPhone and download Google maps. You can download it before or after you arrive abroad. Make sure you turn on your location in your phone settings so Google can properly detect where you are.

If you want to go to a destination and you don’t know how to get there, say someone sends you their address and you don’t know how to find it, open Google maps on your phone. Go to the search option, you will see two options. One is for your “starting” point and the other is for your “destination”. Which means “from” and “to”.
In the “from” option, put it at “your location”. In the “to” option, you can enter the address or name of the place you’re going to.

Google will automatically detect your current location and the exact position you are, no matter the country you are in. When you enter your destination, Google maps will find the place and search for the best way to get there. Even if you can’t spell the destination correctly, google maps will give you options. Be sure to also enter the house number, if it is a building address.

Google maps will show you how to get there in many ways. It will offer you options by car, bike, walking, public transport and taxi. It will also tell you how much time it will take you to get there by any means you decide. If you choose public transport, it will show you the train, tram or bus you can take, the time of departure, and time of arrival. It will also show you how to get to the train or bus station. This can help you in any Western country.

If you choose to walk, a line will appear which shows the route to your destination. There’s also a pointer that represents you and it moves as you move. Follow the line until you get to your destination. Just keep looking at your phone. You can also turn on the speech, so the automated voice can direct you by speaking. If speech is turned on, you will hear a woman’s voice saying, for example: “Turn left to Obalende market, then turn right to Araromi street”. She will direct you until you get there and then say “You have arrived”.

That speech works with car and bike as well. This way you can get around in any country or place you find yourself, without asking anyone for directions. You will need internet on your phone to use maps correctly. You can also view the satellite image as you move. It will show you images of the buildings and streets around you, if that is what you prefer.

Good luck and travel safely.

Thanks for this. Just curious on how one can access Internet. I guess one has to get sim card on the arrival of any foreign country.

How did ypu do, when you get to U K. Did you get their sim card. Pls share your experience. Thanks.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 06, 2020
insightful01:

Thanks for this. Just curious on how one can access Internet. I guess one has to get sim card on the arrival of any foreign country.

How did ypu do, when you get to U K. Did you get their sim card. Pls share your experience. Thanks.

You can buy a prepaid SIM card or get a mobile contract. I don’t use mobile contracts because of their wahala. I use a prepaid sim called Lyca mobile, so I can control when I want to buy credit, without being in debt. The prepaid sim works in London as well and you can use your mobile internet with roaming.

6 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by encryptjay(m): 8:06pm On Aug 06, 2020
Danielhouston:

I’ll just give a general overview of the remaining countries, without too many details. It takes time and effort to write these things and I can’t keep up. I hope you understand. Thanks for reading.
Thank you for your time. We're grateful big time...Not everyone can settle down pen all these experiences down.

3 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by insightful01(m): 9:56am On Aug 07, 2020
Danielhouston:

You can buy a prepaid SIM card or get a mobile contract. I don’t use mobile contracts because of their wahala. I use a prepaid sim called Lyca mobile, so I can control when I want to buy credit, without being in debt. The prepaid sim works in London as well and you can use your mobile internet with roaming.

Thank you. I think the roaming is better for short visit.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by JoshOxborn: 10:21am On Aug 07, 2020
Daniel is the man. I'm entangled to your thread!! Keep the good work up. You've got alot of fans here.

5 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by cliper230(m): 1:26pm On Aug 07, 2020
please do the background check. most of you think western world is bed of roses.
IamMe02:

By the time we check your background, we'll be shocked you've not even gone past the Nigerian border before.
Please don't derail this thread for us biko. Carry your bad belle and japaaa
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 07, 2020
In today’s rant. I’m tired of the black hairdressers we have in Berlin. I wish we could have more experienced hairdressers here. They don’t keep to appointments and even when they show up late, they don’t apologize. Many of them also don’t know what they’re doing.

One lady from Ghana was trying to fix dreadlocks on my hair last week, she almost ripped out my skull. She was so rude as well and had no experience, whatsoever. Fixing dreadlocks here can cost up to €140 for one person. Imagine how much money they could make if they had more clients. Even office workers make €10 per hour, working for 8 hours a day.

Anybody coming here, who hopes to practice any kind of handwork, pls learn it well and be able to do it well. The world has evolved past amateur service. In Germany if you want to go to a barbing salon, you have to make an appointment beforehand and you have to be punctual. You cannot just walk into a salon to get a haircut without prior appointment.
Some Turkish salons would allow it if they don’t have many customers and African salons don’t mind. But in general, it is the professional thing to do.

21 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 07, 2020
Rant number two.

Please anybody working in Nipost should explain what kind of service they provide over there. It takes forever for packages to arrive and sometimes they disappear. I know there are other options like DHL but they are expensive. Besides, when I send things from Germany to Nigeria, they get delivered through Nipost.

Last time I sent some things to my brothers, Nipost ate all the chocolate in the package and left only one small biscuit. Why would they open someone’s package and steal from it? They didn’t even know if I put rat poison in the chocolate. They just opened a strangers package and ate the food inside it. Really weird. Their tracking number does not even update on the system.

That was how they kept my German admission letter for months and threw it away. If I had not contacted the school, I would not have known that I had admission in Germany. I don’t know who needs to hear this but, if you want to send anything through Nipost, you may want to rethink your options.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 07, 2020
Berlin has been crazy lately. People are starting to go crazy about the Corona restrictions. There have been protests against the lockdown. Party goers are asking for clubs to open back up and conspiracy theorists and right extremists, have been on the government’s neck about the whole Corona thing.

They had a massive protest last Saturday and Sunday. It was a large crowd of people. There were also other protests against the anti-corona protests. Just a lot of protests. Some used it as an avenue to have a rave party and dance. I don’t even know what to say about that. The police was there to protect them as usual. Doesn’t matter if you’re protesting against rice and potato, if it’s approved, the police must be there to protect you.

In other news, we are expecting a heat wave this weekend in Germany. They said it is coming from Africa and it is going to be very hot. I don’t know how long it will last but I can imagine. Last year was not funny at all. I was sweating and burning up like fried plantain. It is even worse because we don’t have air conditioners in our homes. People have started to buy standing fans. It is going to be as hot as Kano, I suppose.

14 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Walk(f): 4:04pm On Aug 07, 2020
Danielhouston:
In today’s rant. I’m tired of the black hairdressers we have in Berlin. I wish we could have more experienced hairdressers here. They don’t keep to appointments and even when they show up late, they don’t apologize. Many of them also don’t know what they’re doing.

One lady from Ghana was trying to fix dreadlocks on my hair last week, she almost ripped out my skull. She was so rude as well and had no experience, whatsoever. Fixing dreadlocks here can cost up to €140 for one person. Imagine how much money they could make if they had more clients. Even office workers make €10 per hour, working for 8 hours a day.

Anybody coming here, who hopes to practice any kind of handwork, pls learn it well and be able to do it well. The world has evolved past amateur service. In Germany if you want to go to a barbing salon, you have to make an appointment beforehand and you have to be punctual. You cannot just walk into a salon to get a haircut without prior appointment.
Some Turkish salons would allow it if they don’t have many customers and African salons don’t mind. But in general, it is the professional thing to do.
Lol. Talking about professionalism, do you also fix appointment with your bank before you can make a physical transaction? What about booking an appointment with the grocery stores? See, it doesn't make sense. Wa.lk in and get the hair damn cut.

2 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 07, 2020
Despite the closure of clubs, there have been outdoor parties and events. People are organizing open air raves at parks. Some clubs are opening their garden area with a DJ but we are told not to dance, because we won’t be able to keep a distance between each other. I will be attending an open air rave tonight to dance to House music and shake my body.

We have also had tourists coming in from other European countries, so there are more people outside and tourist areas are getting crowded again. I will be making a few trips soon. I’m just waiting for the flight prices to come down a little.

No matter how hard things are, even if the world was ending, Berliners will still find a way to party. I went out with my friends last Friday and we sat by a lake. I took my small BOSE speaker with me and was playing some Nigerian and pop music. It was intended for us to just have something playing in the background.
Before I knew it, people started coming to sit by us. Next thing I knew, my small music had attracted people who just came and started dancing.

That was how Daniel became a DJ. See me see wahala. I was playing the music on Spotify, from my phone. I did not even have the battery for all that. My speaker battery later died and everyone became angry. They started cursing me like I offended them. They eventually left and went to look for the next busy place to dance. When I tell you Berliners are crazy.

47 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Daejoyoung: 4:14pm On Aug 07, 2020
Walk:
Lol. Talking about professionalism, do you also fix appointment with your bank before you can make a physical transaction? What about booking an appointment with the grocery stores? See, it doesn't make sense. Wa.lk in and get the hair damn cut.
Germany is a country of appointments. Even when you are sick and want to see a doctor, you must book an appointment.
However when it comes to cutting your hair, there are many non German barbers from Turkey and Syria, and in places like Berlin you would find Nigerian hair cutters as well. You don't usually have to book an appointment with most of them.

2 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 07, 2020
Walk:

Well, that is the German way and I think it is professional. There are a lot of people who want to get a haircut and there are few hairdressers. They work with a client limit and must observe breaks. Just because they are hairdressers does not mean their job has no class to it. They don’t just cut your hair, they also treat it and handle your special requests. These things take time. That’s why an appointment is necessary.

Most African salons don’t even follow the hygiene protocols. So it’s easier to just walk in and they can expressly jump from one hair to the other. You also have to make appointments for certain hairstyles. In Germany a bank worker is no different from a hairdresser. They get the same amount of respect and have policies, rules and working conditions.

13 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 07, 2020
Danielhouston:

That was how Daniel became a DJ. See me see wahala. I was playing the music on Spotify, from my phone. I did not even have the battery for all that. My speaker battery later died and everyone became angry. They started cursing me like I offended them. They eventually left and went to look for the next busy place to dance. When I tell you Berliners are crazy.

grin grin grin

DJ Daniel, DJ Bisimilai greeting you from Ilorin ooo grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 07, 2020
One thing about African salon that makes me laugh is that everybody would just come and start touching your hair. When I go to an African salon to cut or dread my hair, we have discussions about the hairstyle and the length of my hair.
Next thing I know, everybody in the salon would start touching my hair to check it.

The barber will first start, then another guy will come and touch it and say “e never grow reach”. That is how they’ll be coming one by one to touch and pull my hair. Someone from another shop would even walk in and start to put their hand in my hair.

You’ll be hearing “make I see the hair sef”, “this your hair never grow“, “Emmanuel come see this guy hair”, “na the hair be dat?”.... that’s how they’ll all be pulling my hair from one corner to the other. They’d forget that I’m an actual human being and I can feel it. I’m not a Mannequin.
Sometimes I tell them to stop. And if you dare raise your voice, they’re ready to drag you with their mouth.

23 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 07, 2020
Later I’ll talk about the drug culture, mental health and suicides in Berlin. I’ll also share more stories about some experiences I had in Germany.

Other Nigerians in Germany, please feel free to share your stories and experiences as well. This thread is open to everyone in Germany to share their experiences. It is not my personal diary. Your experiences also don’t have to go in line with mine. We all have different experiences and yours will be respected. So please, feel free.

See you guys soon.

33 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by javaRookie: 7:36pm On Aug 07, 2020
Danielhouston:
Later I’ll talk about the drug culture, mental health and suicides in Berlin. I’ll also share more stories about some experiences I had in Germany.

Other Nigerians in Germany, please feel free to share your stories and experiences as well. This thread is open to everyone in Germany to share their experiences. It is not my personal diary. Your experiences also don’t have to go in line with mine. We all have different experiences and yours will be respected. So please, feel free.

See you guys soon.
Patiently waiting for it boss.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 07, 2020
Danielhouston:
Despite the closure of clubs, there have been outdoor parties and events. People are organizing open air raves at parks. Some clubs are opening their garden area with a DJ but we are told not to dance, because we won’t be able to keep a distance between each other. I will be attending an open air rave tonight to dance to House music and shake my body.

We have also had tourists coming in from other European countries, so there are more people outside and tourist areas are getting crowded again. I will be making a few trips soon. I’m just waiting for the flight prices to come down a little.

No matter how hard things are, even if the world was ending, Berliners will still find a way to party. I went out with my friends last Friday and we sat by a lake. I took my small BOSE speaker with me and was playing some Nigerian and pop music. It was intended for us to just have something playing in the background.
Before I knew it, people started coming to sit by us. Next thing I knew, my small music had attracted people who just came and started dancing.

Whites could be very crazy at times, not only in Berlin. Lol. grin

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us man. It ain't easy to write these things down and also make it engaging and fun like you do it.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Olabode971(f): 5:49am On Aug 08, 2020
@Op, have been following this thread since IshiLove commented on it...

Op, you too gbaski..

My hands are 11:05 up for you @Op

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by adeniranfam(f): 7:54am On Aug 08, 2020
Danielhouston:

So tourist dey enter berlin
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 08, 2020
I always see myself in Germany whenever I read your posts.....op , thank you for this

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by oyekan1997(m): 11:09am On Aug 08, 2020
9cguy:

grin grin grin

DJ Daniel, DJ Bisimilai greeting you from Ilorin ooo grin grin

Weyrey grin grin grin DJ Bisimilai gan ni grin

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 12:15pm On Aug 08, 2020
A viral photo from Berlin. This is just to give you an idea of the nude culture I talked about in Berlin. Last Wednesday a man was bathing at a lake when a pig ate his pizza and stole his laptop bag. A girl that was there, captured this funny moment on camera. Enjoy.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 08, 2020
There have also been crazy incidents lately of foxes stealing people’s shoes in Berlin. A lot of people had been complaining about their shoes missing in Berlin. They thought their neighbors stole them. One guy eventually posted a complaint on Facebook and other people came forward to complain about their missing shoes as well.

It was going on for a while until a fox was caught stealing shoes at a Mosque, while people were praying. The fox stole up to 100 shoes from Mosques and was caught running with some shoes. They later traced the fox and found so many shoes the fox had stolen. There is nothing we will not see in Berlin. Even the Animals have a shoe and laptop fetish.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 08, 2020
Yesterday we had a small rave at Treptower park before the police came to shut us down. As the clubs are still closed, people were just walking around looking for anywhere to dance. We eventually landed at the park and a guy showed up with a speaker and played some hip hop music. That was how people gathered and started dancing. The police later came and shut everything down.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 08, 2020

6 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by adeniranfam(f): 12:40pm On Aug 08, 2020
Danielhouston:

Can I come in as a tourist if I was given visa....are tourists allowed to com into Germany dis period

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (95)

Tell Us About The City Where You Live / A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.