Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks (58752 Views)

Nigerians Vent Their Anger On CBN, Bankers / CBN Bankers Committee Suspends Lay Offs In Banks / Bankers Committee Introduces Two Classes Of BVN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Galacious1: 7:43pm On May 03, 2020
oluwasegun007:

Were you affected sir
yes sir
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Yenefer(f): 7:43pm On May 03, 2020
Dannjay:

Are you normal?
ubanka ne not normal, shege Dan kwaya
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by chrischukszy01(m): 7:44pm On May 03, 2020
SLAP44:
I need explanation, are the CBN and bankers committee now doing the work of managing the bank which I thought were business establishments capable of making and enforcing their own decisions as they deem fit in order to remain in business.

Why then are the CBN interfering with the decision, if these banks experience distress because of the insistence the regulatory bodies, who will bear the consequences?
. Ogun kee u dia... because u r not affected abi. Foolish somebody!
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by idtwo: 7:44pm On May 03, 2020
Isn't it obvious to you, Mr Economics, that wage reduction across board is better for the society than sacking some people at this time. Each worker in this country has a minimum of four dependants, can you see the spiral effect?

georgeiyke009:
I pity all of you rejoicing. It seems some of you went through high school and university, read economics and then when issues that require sound economic analysis arise, people brain go just enter Agbaya mode. The only way this will be feasible is:

1. CBN will cut the banks a lot of regulatory slack to make more money. This will be to the detriment of the larger economy and stifling funds the real sector, which is the only sector that will pull us out of the recession needs.

2. Direct bail out funds by the FG. Starving the real sector if needed funds.

3. Huge tax rebates. Again detrimental to the larger economy. The number of jobs it will keep is negligible to the damage this will cause.

4. They were mum on what the salary scale would be. Guess what, they will simply divide the total salary they would have paid had they sacked people by the total number of staff without sacking and adjust peoples salary grade. So effectively , the only way If 1-2 were not the case is a general downgrade in salary.

N:B There is never going to be a win win situation. Someone or something has to loose because of this decision. The question is hope the other side will not mind.

1 Like

Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Yuceeluv(f): 7:45pm On May 03, 2020
oga my sister is one...she resumes work tomorrow.

Kingzy4pep:
Madam, truth is bank marketers aren't working now.
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by zedegit: 7:45pm On May 03, 2020
naptu2:

https://www.cbn.gov.ng/Out/2020/CCD/CBN%20Bankers%20Comm%20Suspend%20Layoffs.pdf

Good one!
Nice effort from CBN. Let them also look into my signature.

Access Bank cannot dash FG #1billion, only to turn and be deducting it from customers accounts.

It didn't end there. They embarked on mass sacking!

Who does that?
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by 234GT(m): 7:46pm On May 03, 2020
SLAP44:
I need explanation, are the CBN and bankers committee now doing the work of managing the bank which I thought were business establishments capable of making and enforcing their own decisions as they deem fit in order to remain in business.

Why then are the CBN interfering with the decision, if these banks experience distress because of the insistence the regulatory bodies, who will bear the consequences?

You are just a pained idiot lols. Do you know how many people depend on an average banker? And do you know how much tax an average banker pays monthly?
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by HarunaWest(m): 7:54pm On May 03, 2020
Kingzy4pep:
LOL. Seems you're a banker.
yup
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by zedegit: 7:54pm On May 03, 2020
SLAP44:

CBN is a regulatory body in banking sector. If banks have issues, they were supposed to approach CBN to be advised, guided and supported but they decided to take this huge economic decisions which was clearly in bad taste.

So they had to be corrected, if they insist, discipline can follow suit.

CBN is playing it's fatherly role.
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by HarunaWest(m): 7:56pm On May 03, 2020
Yuceeluv:
Lol i will allow a banker/ex-banker reply you. Be like you no know how banks do.

me Na bank myself ooo...banks aren't making too much lose St this period...depositors funds are trapped and they are getting steady interest from CBN...It's just the CRR that's the issue,they can't give out facility's cos COVID has affected most going concerns so repayment might default.
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by zedegit: 7:56pm On May 03, 2020
234GT:

You are just a pained idiot lols. Do you know how many people depend on an average banker? And do you know how much tax an average banker pays monthly?

He needed an explanation and this is not one.
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Herkim(m): 7:58pm On May 03, 2020
We need to tell ourselves the bitter truth what access bank has done by sacking her workers is not reversible either by the CBN or bankers committee. Those sacked workers are goners they will never be recalled back to
Work again

They only did this not to allow other banks to follow the same line of action
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by harbighsohlarh: 8:00pm On May 03, 2020
Galacious1:
yes sir
So sorry...please loosen up
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by bukatyne(f): 8:00pm On May 03, 2020
Queenmark:
They did not bring solution. If banks are not making income how will they pay salaries?

How can banks not make money this period?
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by 234GT(m): 8:00pm On May 03, 2020
zedegit:

No sir. Read his post again. He is clearly not happy that there won't be job losses in the banking sector.
Some people are always happy about bad news. He is one of them.

1 Like

Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 03, 2020
zedegit:

Exactly. The way we rush to throw insults at each-other on this forum is so appalling
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by evansjeff(m): 8:01pm On May 03, 2020
sexylassie2:

reducing the labour force or unpaid leave is the only way to cut cost in this downturn

in this option reducing the labour cost is the only solutions

with what has happen, it means tax payers is going to pay to bailout banks, i hope you know they increase vat to 7%, imagine what more they will do to make the masses suffer so that they wont sack nobody in the bank

what several ways do you suggest to cut cost?

What happens to a certain percentage salary cut in the interim until things get better?
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Dindondin(m): 8:03pm On May 03, 2020
SLAP44:

I wonder o.
I see this as an ordinary media stunt.
CBN wanna cover the mess of mass layoff which would v been blamed on the FG's frail containment of Covid-19

1 Like

Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by zoedew: 8:03pm On May 03, 2020
HarunaWest:

If CBN should order the banks not to lay off, that means there is an incentive involved..It's scratch my back I scratch yours. What I see most banks doing is to pay percentage salary.

incisive. the best comment on the matter in my view!!
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Schultzboy(m): 8:03pm On May 03, 2020
This is a good practice on democracy, �
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by oluwasegun007(m): 8:04pm On May 03, 2020
Galacious1:
yes sir

All is well...

Please be strong.

Hopefully the new directive should reverse the lay-off

Please update us as soon as you guys get recalled.

Good luck
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Mannylex(m): 8:04pm On May 03, 2020
In my opinion this doesn't necessarily change anything as they are just trying to appear as though they have it in control because no. 2 states that:

*_The express approval of the Central Bank of Nigeria shall be required in the event that it becomes absolutely necessary to lay-off any such staff_*

Which in essence means that once the Banks can give reasonable justification that they are unable to meet up with an increasing staff cost and OPEX when compared with a declining economy, the CBN would have no choice but to grant them approval to go ahead with the lay-off. Because CBN would rather have Banks Lay-off staff than have a failed Bank(s).

2 Likes

Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Zico5(m): 8:05pm On May 03, 2020
stagger:

What stops the CBN from granting the banks funding to keep doing what they do and ensure nobody gets laid off?
I get u bro, but u and I understand the system we are operating in this country. To be sincere, they will never do that. if just ordinary palliatives cannot be given out to the citizens then what are we saying.
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Urchman200: 8:05pm On May 03, 2020
SLAP44:

is that how they hire and fire workers in the developed world?
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by feedthenation(m): 8:05pm On May 03, 2020
I never knew there are so many banks in Nigeria. Hopefully there won't be many layoffs
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Urchman200: 8:08pm On May 03, 2020
Yenefer:
What do u mean by hmmmm? majority of bankers are your people better type something good
lol
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by maasoap(m): 8:09pm On May 03, 2020
SLAP44:

AMCON is there. It wouldn't be the first time that they would be rescued.
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Christmasdon(m): 8:09pm On May 03, 2020
WHAT OF IN THE UK WHERE THOUSANDS OR MILLIONS LOST THEIR JOBS.? THEY WOULD SOON DO OTHERWISE.
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Brenn594(m): 8:09pm On May 03, 2020
Don't underestimate the power of audio people in groups
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by letitrainnow(m): 8:10pm On May 03, 2020
Very good
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by Theoarhics: 8:12pm On May 03, 2020
Pls CBN return the billions that Access Bank donated to FG, they didnt know what they were doing when they made that donation. Money they should have used to sustain the bank and its staff rather than laying them of. Misplaced priority.!
Re: CBN & Bankers Committee Suspends Lay-offs In Banks by smasher1(m): 8:14pm On May 03, 2020
edo3:
Hmmmmm,,finally hope dey for the access folks

Not likely. Access sacked April 30, this communication is dated 3rd, May

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hauwa Indimi To Wed Muhammad Yar'adua (Pre-Wedding Photos) / I Have N500,000 Cash, What Profitable Business Can I Start? / Paddy Adenuga: 'I Cannot Date A Lady That Wears Wig, I Have Standards'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.