Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,938 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches (38286 Views)

Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament / Diamond Bank To Sell Off All Its International Branches, Now A National Bank / Number Of Commercial Banks Branches In Nigeria By States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by ThePropertyGuy: 8:37pm On May 06, 2020
shadeyinka:

I wish layoffs will always start with the managers, executives and administrators of each bank. Banks have the lowest job security amongst private businesses as far as I know in Nigeria.

I believe that enough feasibility studies were done before the acquisition took place...and the normal behaviour of the callous executives is to think of layoff.

Who cares about pawns in the banking industry anyway! They are the sacrificial lamb. Loyalty and hardwork doesn't matter to them. They appropriate heavy allowances for themselves until the system is having problem and then as usual, it's the hard working young Nigerians that pay for their recklessness.

When you have your own company tomorrow, come back here to talk then we'll listen to you. This is neither charity nor communism. It's business.

The primary goal of every business is to serve the purpose for which it was created. Any hindrance to achieving this is usually addressed. Ignoring this kills the business and every stakeholder suffers.

You talk about feasibility study carried out at the outset. Seriously?? The feasibility study showed that they needed to lay off staff at some point Duh!!!

Nobody owes anybody anything> You have an employment contract. If it is breached, then you can seek redress
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by iswallker(m): 8:43pm On May 06, 2020
shadeyinka:

But Corona virus of less than 3 months old in Nigeria is causing them to lay off staff!?

See where the finger is pointing to!? YOU!!

You win..!!!
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by shadeyinka(m): 9:07pm On May 06, 2020
ThePropertyGuy:

When you have your own company tomorrow, come back here to talk then we'll listen to you. This is neither charity nor communism. It's business.

The primary goal of every business is to serve the purpose for which it was created. Any hindrance to achieving this is usually addressed. Ignoring this kills the business and every stakeholder suffers.

You talk about feasibility study carried out at the outset. Seriously?? The feasibility study showed that they needed to lay off staff at some point Duh!!!

Nobody owes anybody anything> You have an employment contract. If it is breached, then you can seek redress
Food was made for man and not the reverse.

It is easy to quote your economic theories and say that " the purpose of business is to do that for which it was created"!

In theory, yes!
But when the management mismanaged the enterprise, in fairness, who should pay for such gross loss!? The drones!?

This is where humanity and the government comes into play. This is where if the government is doing their duty to set rules and regulations to protect the citizenry from excesses of conglomerates. In many same countries such is done in setting limits to pricing of goods and services; so that enough justification for such is confirmed by the government before price increase is authorised.

On this path I speak
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by ThePropertyGuy: 9:08pm On May 06, 2020
Nigerians or just you?

UltimateTiger:
Bleep access bank... because Nigerians threatened to close their access bank account, that's why they've reversed their wicked and awful decision of sacking their worker's... God bless Nigerians that voiced out...
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by jpmoriarti(m): 9:32pm On May 06, 2020
shadeyinka:

I wish layoffs will always start with the managers, executives and administrators of each bank. Banks have the lowest job security amongst private businesses as far as I know in Nigeria.

I believe that enough feasibility studies were done before the acquisition took place...and the normal behaviour of the callous executives is to think of layoff.

Who cares about pawns in the banking industry anyway! They are the sacrificial lamb. Loyalty and hardwork doesn't matter to them. They appropriate heavy allowances for themselves until the system is having problem and then as usual, it's the hard working young Nigerians that pay for their recklessness.
Layoffs should start with managers and executives? Do you even know what it takes to achieve such grade in banking industry? Managers and executives are heads of units and groups in the banks. They're important for the day-to-day running of the bank. They can never be used as sacrificial lambs except if they're performing very poorly in discharging their duties.
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by shadeyinka(m): 10:24pm On May 06, 2020
jpmoriarti:
Layoffs should start with managers and executives? Do you even know what it takes to achieve such grade in banking industry? Managers and executives are heads of units and groups in the banks. They're important for the day-to-day running of the bank. They can never be used as sacrificial lambs except if they're performing very poorly in discharging their duties.
But you also know that these are the ones who exploit the system the most. These are the most reckless in spending.
AND
They take the decisions that make or break the bank.

I say: they should suffer or enjoy the consequences of their actions. It's easy to use hundreds of dutiful drones as scapegoats for wrong decisions they didn't make.

Moreover, most of these didn't get there by merit. When the daughter of Dangote or the son of the Owner of the bank is part of the management of some banks by virtue big the position and influence of the father: what special skill does she need to do her "job"?
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by ThePropertyGuy: 6:25am On May 07, 2020
There is zero case of mismanagement here neither should we expect private individuals and businesses to perform the duty of government.

As some people here have rightly said, due to the acquisition of DBN, in some places there are more than 2/3 Access Bank branches within a 500m radius. This is completely inefficient for a business.

You should take some time to go through the company's financial statements and look at the impact of personnel cost on the business.

I don't see the point in losing the whole while trying to save a part

shadeyinka:

Food was made for man and not the reverse.

It is easy to quote your economic theories and say that " the purpose of business is to do that for which it was created"!

In theory, yes!
But when the management mismanaged the enterprise, in fairness, who should pay for such gross loss!? The drones!?

This is where humanity and the government comes into play. This is where if the government is doing their duty to set rules and regulations to protect the citizenry from excesses of conglomerates. In many same countries such is done in setting limits to pricing of goods and services; so that enough justification for such is confirmed by the government before price increase is authorised.

On this path I speak
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by shadeyinka(m): 7:09am On May 07, 2020
ThePropertyGuy:
There is zero case of mismanagement here neither should we expect private individuals and businesses to perform the duty of government.

As some people here have rightly said, due to the acquisition of DBN, in some places there are more than 2/3 Access Bank branches within a 500m radius. This is completely inefficient for a business.

You should take some time to go through the company's financial statements and look at the impact of personnel cost on the business.

I don't see the point in losing the whole while trying to save a part

Acquisition involve taking over physical, personnel, financial liabilities and assets.

The banks are not just machines that operate on their own. They are run by human beings. These human beings are usually callous, inhuman, insensitive and lack the basic traits of goodness that make a human being civil.

My argument is: why must the point of restructuring always be mass retrenchment of loyal and dutiful staff?

Who says the only wise thing to do is to shut down a physical asset (bank buildings) due to physical proximities?

Since they are physical assets, they could be redistributed (sell off one, acquire another in another location).

Who says this is not an opportunity to expand and conquer new Territories?

Of course, trust the Shylocks! They are not interested in clinching the title of the biggest and most widespread bank. They've calculated the value of the physical structures as part of their transient liquidity (short term money). But in future, they are still small.

It's the fault of our government though. Whenever there is no regulation, everywhere is like a jungle and survival of the fittest and not all animals are equal.
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by ThePropertyGuy: 8:51am On May 07, 2020
Access Bank has conquered all these and already clinched the tiitles. They are the largest bank by assets, deposits, branches and customer base.

More objectivity and less subjectivity,

Acquisition also involves the responsibility to take optimal decisions to sustain the entity as a going concern in accordance with the laid down laws,

If any business breaks any law by all means they should be prosecuted. But unless this is established every other argument is subjective
shadeyinka:

Acquisition involve taking over physical, personnel, financial liabilities and assets.

The banks are not just machines that operate on their own. They are run by human beings. These human beings are usually callous, inhuman, insensitive and lack the basic traits of goodness that make a human being civil.

My argument is: why must the point of restructuring always be mass retrenchment of loyal and dutiful staff?

Who says the only wise thing to do is to shut down a physical asset (bank buildings) due to physical proximities?

Since they are physical assets, they could be redistributed (sell off one, acquire another in another location).

Who says this is not an opportunity to expand and conquer new Territories?

Of course, trust the Shylocks! They are not interested in clinching the title of the biggest and most widespread bank. They've calculated the value of the physical structures as part of their transient liquidity (short term money). But in future, they are still small.

It's the fault of our government though. Whenever there is no regulation, everywhere is like a jungle and survival of the fittest and not all animals are equal.
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by shadeyinka(m): 11:06am On May 07, 2020
ThePropertyGuy:
Access Bank has conquered all these and already clinched the tiitles. They are the largest bank by assets, deposits, branches and customer base.

More objectivity and less subjectivity,

Acquisition also involves the responsibility to take optimal decisions to sustain the entity as a going concern in accordance with the laid down laws,

If any business breaks any law by all means they should be prosecuted. But unless this is established every other argument is subjective
And that is why most banks are Lucifers in form of institution. Maximizing loopholes in extant laws. Banks don't break the laws: they help sponsor the laws which in turn is used for the purpose of making money with no reference to the volume of blood spilt.

It seems you are one of them too.

The cane used to flog the older wife is certainly kept in store for the new wife.

Time always speak and the truth doesn't lie. Wait for your time: it will come
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by ThePropertyGuy: 12:04pm On May 07, 2020
Now I see you’ve moved into the sphere of science fiction.

If you had a submission as in your other post I’d respond but in the absence of any you’ve resulted to personal attacks and vague mind games. I wouldn’t dance that dance with you.

Adios amigo!!!!

Ps: My name is thepropertyguy and I just want to make common sense. If you’re able to come up with a superior argument I’ll respond
shadeyinka:

And that is why most banks are Lucifers in form of institution. Maximizing loopholes in extant laws. Banks don't break the laws: they help sponsor the laws which in turn is used for the purpose of making money with no reference to the volume of blood spilt.

It seems you are one of them too.

The cane used to flog the older wife is certainly kept in store for the new wife.

Time always speak and the truth doesn't lie. Wait for your time: it will come
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by shadeyinka(m): 1:45pm On May 07, 2020
ThePropertyGuy:
Now I see you’ve moved into the sphere of science fiction.

If you had a submission as in your other post I’d respond but in the absence of any you’ve resulted to personal attacks and vague mind games. I wouldn’t dance that dance with you.

Adios amigo!!!!

Ps: My name is thepropertyguy and I just want to make common sense. If you’re able to come up with a superior argument I’ll respond
It's easy to close ones eyes when fire is on our neighbors roof.

I used to own a poultry and it's strange to see how "fellow chicken" treat a wounded/dying mate. Human beings are unfortunately majorly like that.

If you see me wishing that you experience what the bank's do to faithful, hardworking and dutiful staff as an attack on your passonality; it was a test to see if the same red blood flows within your veins. Obviously, you feel that such shouldn't happen to you: and I agree it shouldn't.

Humanity in us should also will that it doesn't happen to our neighbors, siblings, friends and family!

You aren't my enemy: I only wished you showed a little empathy.

Shalom
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by ThePropertyGuy: 4:33pm On May 07, 2020
I am at loss why you feel you have the mandate to speak for others (including me) and generalize your conspiracy theories as facts.

Not that it’s anybody’s business but I did experience a job loss in the final months of last year. (Take it easy with your assumptions)

And don’t assume you know what I think should or shouldn’t happen to me.

In the same vain you wished I showed some empathy for the “hardworking and dutiful staff” (like you are so certain they are) is in the same vain I wished you showed some empathy towards the bank’s decisions.

shadeyinka:

It's easy to close ones eyes when fire is on our neighbors roof.

I used to own a poultry and it's strange to see how "fellow chicken" treat a wounded/dying mate. Human beings are unfortunately majorly like that.

If you see me wishing that you experience what the bank's do to faithful, hardworking and dutiful staff as an attack on your passonality; it was a test to see if the same red blood flows within your veins. Obviously, you feel that such shouldn't happen to you: and I agree it shouldn't.

Humanity in us should also will that it doesn't happen to our neighbors, siblings, friends and family!

You aren't my enemy: I only wished you showed a little empathy.

Shalom
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by shadeyinka(m): 4:59pm On May 07, 2020
ThePropertyGuy:
I am at loss why you feel you have the mandate to speak for others (including me) and generalize your conspiracy theories as facts.

Not that it’s anybody’s business but I did experience a job loss in the final months of last year. (Take it easy with your assumptions)

And don’t assume you know what I think should or shouldn’t happen to me.

In the same vain you wished I showed some empathy for the “hardworking and dutiful staff” (like you are so certain they are) is in the same vain I wished you showed some empathy towards the bank’s decisions.

Empathy to a non-living setup?!!
Na! Na!! Na!!!

Sorry that things got a little personal. I am irritated when I see the weak and helpless treated as expendable commodities. I look at affluence and power as things we have simply because of grace.

There is nothing special with me except for the grace I have received. This grace gave me some good education, good job, good health, connections, wellness and finances. I therefore remind myself that if my parents were that destitute begger under the bridge; I could at best be a hard-working wheelbarrow pusher.

So, my friend, forgive me.
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by ThePropertyGuy: 6:00pm On May 07, 2020
Businesses, governments, associations, clubs, NGOs and the likes are all a group of living things who have agreed to pursue a collective interest. If this makes it non living then i don't know what doesn't.

I agree with your last paragraph.

Apology accepted. I would also add that no where does the Bible support the notion that it is sinful or even poor witness for a Christian boss to fire a subordinate. My understanding from my faith is:

- It is important to know and respect man's law

- Avoid hasty decisions about firing or retaining employees

- An individual who undermines one’s leadership, who arrogantly scorns others, who perpetually creates conflict, who is
corrupt, or who cannot follow the work rules, must be removed for the common good.

I can speak about facts from financial records, CBN records etc. (which are made public) but I cannot speak about flouting any law (man's, ethical or scriptural) because i don't know how the process was carried out.

shadeyinka:

Empathy to a non-living setup?!!
Na! Na!! Na!!!

Sorry that things got a little personal. I am irritated when I see the weak and helpless treated as expendable commodities. I look at affluence and power as things we have simply because of grace.

There is nothing special with me except for the grace I have received. This grace gave me some good education, good job, good health, connections, wellness and finances. I therefore remind myself that if my parents were that destitute begger under the bridge; I could at best be a hard-working wheelbarrow pusher.

So, my friend, forgive me.
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by shadeyinka(m): 7:30pm On May 07, 2020
ThePropertyGuy:
Businesses, governments, associations, clubs, NGOs and the likes are all a group of living things who have agreed to pursue a collective interest. If this makes it non living then i don't know what doesn't.

I agree with your last paragraph.

Apology accepted. I would also add that no where does the Bible support the notion that it is sinful or even poor witness for a Christian boss to fire a subordinate. My understanding from my faith is:

- It is important to know and respect man's law

- Avoid hasty decisions about firing or retaining employees

- An individual who undermines one’s leadership, who arrogantly scorns others, who perpetually creates conflict, who is
corrupt, or who cannot follow the work rules, must be removed for the common good.

I can speak about facts from financial records, CBN records etc. (which are made public) but I cannot speak about flouting any law (man's, ethical or scriptural) because i don't know how the process was carried out.

Yes, but don't get me wrong.

There are several conditions for which a staff could be relieved of his duties.
1. Misconduct
2. Inefficiency
3. Lack of appropriate qualifications
4. Looming Bankruptcy of company
5. Economic downturn of the company

What I protest against is when the Executives/Management makes errors of judgement or mismanagement of bank finances with corruption and then turn around to solve the problems they created by laying off dutiful and loyal staff.

To me, this is the FIRST and usual course of actions of Nigerian banks and the government is not protecting the citizens by invoking legislations to such protections.
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by ThePropertyGuy: 8:24pm On May 07, 2020
Ok.

Where I am confused is

- How the Bank’s Executives/Management made errors of judgement or mismanaged the bank finances with corruption?

- What problem(s) did they create that they now want to solve by layoffs?

shadeyinka:

Yes, but don't get me wrong.

There are several conditions for which a staff could be relieved of his duties.
1. Misconduct
2. Inefficiency
3. Lack of appropriate qualifications
4. Looming Bankruptcy of company
5. Economic downturn of the company

Wh at I protest against is when the Executives/Management makes errors of judgement or mismanagement of bank finances with corruption and then turn around to solve the problems they created by laying off dutiful and loyal staff.

To me, this is the FIRST and usual course of actions of Nigerian banks and the government is not protecting the citizens by invoking legislations to such protections.
Re: Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches by shadeyinka(m): 8:40pm On May 07, 2020
ThePropertyGuy:
Ok.

Where I am confused is

- How the Bank’s Executives/Management made errors of judgement or mismanaged the bank finances with corruption?

- What problem(s) did they create that they now want to solve by layoffs?

I think I understand what is causing the misunderstanding. I am not being specific about any particular Nigerian bank or Access bank to be specific. I've been focusing on the general behaviour of Nigerian bank executives and what I know about their lifestyles.

Do you work at Access Bank?
If you do, I commend your loyalty!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dangote In Casuals, Joins Femi Otedola In Monaco / Lagosians Groan As KFC Outlets Shut Down Operations From Tomorrow / Shoprite: Insider Shares Details Of The Corporate Restructuring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.