Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,882 members, 7,841,306 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

Opinion; Is Covid-19 In Nigeria Truly A Hoax? - Abdussalam Abubakar Gidanbage - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Opinion; Is Covid-19 In Nigeria Truly A Hoax? - Abdussalam Abubakar Gidanbage (282 Views)

Man Dies After Attending 'COVID Party' In US, Thinking Virus Was A 'Hoax' / Kogi State Disagrees With NCDC, Says Kogi Is COVID-19 Free / Coronavirus: How Is COVID-19 Affecting You, Your Family, Work & Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion; Is Covid-19 In Nigeria Truly A Hoax? - Abdussalam Abubakar Gidanbage by Mrmicro: 9:44am On May 05, 2020
IS COVID-19 IN NIGERIA TRULY A HOAX?

According to the Oxford English dictionary, hoax means to deceive someone by making them believe something that has been maliciously or mischievously fabricated.
Coronavirus disease 2019 which was modelled Covid-19 belongs to the family of viruses that can cause illnesses such as the common cold, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). The new coronavirus disease was first identified in 2019 in China, hence the name covid-19.

The first case of the virus was confirmed in Nigeria on the 27th February, 2020 in Lagos, Lagos state. The index case was an Italian who worked in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy. Few days after the disclosure of the outbreak in Nigeria, there were so many mixed reactions especially among the citizenry on social media platforms and even off it. Some persons argued that no any reported case of the virus exists in the country buttressing their claim that the government is just trying to fool the citizens so as to divert the public funds. Some including intellectuals were of the opinion that, government was only faking the outbreak so as to gain monetary support from international communities. Others believed that the virus cannot survive in Nigeria owing to the fact that Nigeria and indeed most west African nations have high temperature, this they felt would make life unfit for the virus.

IS COVID-19 REALLY IN NIGERIA?

This is a begging question as it has increasingly become so disappointing and even saddening that some people still hold the notion that the virus is not yet in Nigeria. I think there are so many convincing evidence to make any sane person no matter his/her school of thought to believe that the virus is in Nigeria. Few of Nigerian Governors were tested positive for the virus weeks ago although some people still believed that the governors were only playing politics. In the same vain, the British prime minister, Boris Johnson was also tested positive for the virus. In that regard, citizens and well thinking friends of the Britain (excluding Nigeria perhaps) all believed and sympathised with him. To this regard I see no reason why we can not do the same to our leaders in Nigeria. Not to forget, this is a global war with nature.

The stay at home order imposed by the government in some parts of the country is another vital point that will make any normal person to believe that the virus is in Nigeria for real. I doubt if any government no matter the level of corruption that has engulfed it, can go to the extent of closing down her economic activities, markets, schools (public and private), religious buildings, just to make it's citizens to believe a thing that doesn't exist. Of what benefits will it be to the government if it does all that? Remember we are not the only ones losing, even the government is suffering a huge economic down turn.
The death of the former Chief of Staff to the nation's President, Malam Abba Kyari as a result of complications from the virus is a final bus stop for all the doubting Thomases to wake up from their sleeps and face the bitter reality that the virus is in the country and does not respect position, ethnic or religion. It is a common enemy that everyone must join hands in fighting against it.

DID THE GOVERNMENT INTENSIONALLY IMPORT THE VIRUS FOR MONETARY GAINS?

If at all there is any disease a government can import with an intent of making money receiving handsome donations from international communities or by embezzling the public funds, covid-19 will far not be the right choice if not for anything, but for it deadly records of not sparing any group of persons. So for someone to believe that the virus was intensionally imported is as good as believing that a man can walk freely into a hungry lion's cage without him eaten by it.
Before the lockdown, Lagos state generates over N34 Billion monthly as internally generated revenue (IGR) but with the current lockdown, not just Lagos state but the whole country's economy has been battered by the effect of the deadly virus as states can now hardly get 25 percent of their normal IGR. I think with this alone, one can immediately discard the misleading and shameful rumor that the virus was imported for monetary purposes.
IS IT TRUE THAT THE VIRUS CAN'T SURVIVE IN NIGERIA'S TEMPERATURE?.
Flu surges in cold season for some reasons. First, the virus is more stable in cold, dry condition with low levels of ultraviolet light. Second, our immune systems may be weakened due to the mild vitamin D deficiency a lack of sunlight can cause.
In theory, these factors could also cause the covid-19 virus to dampen down in spring. But the problem is that the virus is still not fully understood by scientists and the evidence so far could be conflicting.
The first study to look at the effects of weather on covid-19 was carried out by reseachers in Harvard University. They looked at the effects of temperature and humidity on the virus’s transmission in China, Thailand, Singapore, Japan,South Korea and Taiwan, based on weather reports and data on covid-19 incidence between 23 January and 10 February.
They found no significant difference in transmission rates between cold and dry provinces of China and tropical ones, as well as Singapore, concluding that higher temperature and humidity “will not necessarily lead to declines in case counts”.
In recent research, U.S government released a report on the 24th of April, 2020. The report claims that, temperature above 35 degrees can curb covid-19 transmission.
The results produced by researchers from different parts of the world as to whether temperature can curb the spread of the virus are conflicting and above all W.H.O still hold on to the fact that, covid-19 is spreading in areas with hot and humid weather. So base on all these facts one can't rely on the bases that Nigeria is having higher temperature and so the virus can't survive, that's not true.

My final advice to all Nigerians is that, Covid-19 is undoubtably not a hoax and at this time(04/05/2020) 93 Nigerians have died from it's complications. Best ways to prevent the virus are; adherence to the social distancing ethics, regular washing of hands with soap, the use of hand sanitizer and proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).

Remember, the virus doesn't move unless we move, so stay home and stay safe.
Let's share this message so as to help in breaking the chain of transmission and eventually flatten the curve.
...Abdussalam Abubakar Gidanbage.
http://facebook.com/salamwap

Re: Opinion; Is Covid-19 In Nigeria Truly A Hoax? - Abdussalam Abubakar Gidanbage by Tissaia(f): 9:49am On May 05, 2020
If u want me to stop been tribalistic
(spilling out the truth) click like.., if u want me to continue click Share

1 Like

Re: Opinion; Is Covid-19 In Nigeria Truly A Hoax? - Abdussalam Abubakar Gidanbage by Nobody: 11:21am On May 05, 2020
Nigerians are judging based on corruption of leaders

How can Nigeria fake they have coronavirus to get funding from international communities. Thats like saying international communities is so dumb to grant Nigeria money without confirming themselves

If u ask a Nigerian about Covid-19 in Nigeria. He will tell u the one in Nigeria is a fake but he believes its present in other countries. I just weak for some kinda reasoning.

Some even went as far as sayin he doesnt know anybody who knows anybody that knows somebody who is Covid-19 positive.

I just weak for some reasoning. Ever since the outbreak of HIV. I dont know anybody who knows somebody who is HIV positive or even died from it. But that doesnt mean HIV isnt killing or real.

FFS i dont know anyone who knows somebody that Malaria has killed..All my personal experiences about Malaria patient is that they all get treated... That doesnt mean Malaria hasn't been killing people.

Some fools are saying Covid-19 isn't real in Nigeria but real in other countries

I never knew Nigeria is the superman of the earth

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Professor Researching COVID-19 Killed In United States / What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You Ever Had To Do As A Doctor Or Nurse? / COVID-19 Has Now Killed More Than 80,000 Americans, In United States Of America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.