Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,844 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed (1892 Views)

Python Automation Programmers Please Help! / Programmers, Please Recommend A Good Laptop For Me. / Python Programmers Please Help Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by pajosh(m): 7:06pm On May 06, 2020
Haywhy433:
Thanks to all contributors. I really appreciate you all inputs

How's the best way to start?
Your top tips

start with Web ... but learn d basics very well ... don't depend on frameworks like bootstrap them ... they're good but you have yo use them when you understand what is happening under the hood ... as a programmer you have to be concerned with what is happening under the hood ...

1 Like

Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Raalsalghul: 7:26pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Masa no one is passionate about what they suck at. Every beginner would suck at programming. It's the discipline and consistency you need to stay the course, get better and eventually become passionate. It's hard and many people give up easily. As for using the internet. Part of being a good programmer is learning to use the internet. Even advanced programmers still use stack overflow everyday. The guys at Google, Facebook and Amazon have stack overflow open on their computers everyday. No one is an island of knowledge.

Op wants to learn he can learn but it's gonna be hard. Many people give up anyway. It's not easy but if he stays the course and is consistent and disciplined he would get it eventually.

As for computer science, you do realise that graduating with a degree in computer science doesn't make you a badass programmer. The only advantage I see most computer science students have over others who are self taught is the knowledge of data structures and algorithms and how to apply it to write programs. Data structures and algorithms can also be self taught. The best programmers didn't do any computer science. The guy who founded node.js studied mathematics at the university.

There are tons of first class and 2 1 computer science graduates in Nigeria who are unemployed and can't even write a single line of code in any programming language and they are "passionate".

I started learning to code in February. I used freecodecamp and finished the curriculum quickly and realised I didn't know shit got a udemy course and though the lady explained things well, I realised I didn't still know shit. By the time I got to the bootstrap section of the course, I had built like 4 projects but deep down within me I knew this weren't my projects. So I took up a hotel website and tried to replicate it and believe you me I had learnt more from just building the home page of that site that from the first 14 modules of the course. Infact just building the Navbar let me know I didn't know anything as I was using bootstrap. I quit using bootstrap downloaded more CSS courses learnt CSS deeply including responsive design, grid and flexbox which wasn't covered in the website and you need to see what I have done with basic CSS. As for JavaScript, I have over 10 JavaScript projects on my GitHub and everyday I try to at least build one project. That one project can take a week to complete depending on the complexity.

I try to code everyday for at least 3 hours. There are some days I am so hyped up and there are days I wanna watch movies or play games but no matter what I must do that 3 hours. I wouldn't call myself passionate in anyway, I would only say I am disciplined and I am consistent.

Lastly, you are disciplined but dropped architecture. You couldn't stay 4 years to finish a supposingly money printing degree and you are disciplined cheesy

Quick question.

Is it possible to learn coding while working full time?
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:27pm On May 06, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Quick question.

Is it possible to learn coding while working full time?
Yes it is possible.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Raalsalghul: 7:31pm On May 06, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Yes it is possible.

Reason for asking is that I want to pick up Python.

After calculating hours spent at work/other activities, I realized I just had 5 hours per week.

Don't even know if that's enough. embarassed
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:37pm On May 06, 2020
Raalsalghul:

After calculating hours spent at work/other activities, I realized I just had 5 hours per week.

It is better than nothing o.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Haywhy433(m): 10:24pm On May 06, 2020
Raalsalghul:

That's 260 hours a year. You can do it sir
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Raalsalghul: 10:26pm On May 06, 2020
Haywhy433:

That's 260 hours a year. You can do it sir

Hmmm!

There's also this fear that I might drop it along the line due to complexities/distractions.

But something has been urging me to start nonetheless. sad
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Runningwater(m): 10:45pm On May 06, 2020
jesmond3945:
I would advise you to know which area of coding is hot. Web development is okay but I think data analysis with python pays more. If you want app development, you can learn Java. But go for python is the hottest selling skill now.
Sorry to say, do you think data analysis with Python pays in NIGERIA without University degree. I was studying electrical electronic engineering in my state polytechnic (Delta State)
before covid 19 but I'm actually taking a course in edX(Analyzing data with Python). If it pays, please I need insights.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by jesmond3945: 10:48pm On May 06, 2020
Runningwater:

Sorry to say, do you think data analysis with Python pays in NIGERIA without University degree. I was studying electrical electronic engineering in my state polytechnic (Delta State)
before covid 19 but I'm actually taking a course in edX(Analyzing data with Python). If it pays, please I need insights.
yes it does.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Runningwater(m): 10:59pm On May 06, 2020
jesmond3945:
yes it does.
Please, link me
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Dannydrums889: 10:44pm On Dec 27, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
Op do not listen to the passion nonsense. Passion is something they say to secondary school children. If you want to learn programming you need discipline and consistency. You have to make sure you practice everyday for at least two hours. Not you do one thing today then you come back three weeks later. It's absolutely not going to work. It's hard doing it everyday but the discipline counts. The hunger and prevailing poverty and the world economy post covid 19 should be all the passion you need to learn programming.
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by Dannydrums889: 10:51pm On Dec 27, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Masa no one is passionate about what they suck at. Every beginner would suck at programming. It's the discipline and consistency you need to stay the course, get better and eventually become passionate. It's hard and many people give up easily. As for using the internet. Part of being a good programmer is learning to use the internet. Even advanced programmers still use stack overflow everyday. The guys at Google, Facebook and Amazon have stack overflow open on their computers everyday. No one is an island of knowledge.

Op wants to learn he can learn but it's gonna be hard. Many people give up anyway. It's not easy but if he stays the course and is consistent and disciplined he would get it eventually.

As for computer science, you do realise that graduating with a degree in computer science doesn't make you a badass programmer. The only advantage I see most computer science students have over others who are self taught is the knowledge of data structures and algorithms and how to apply it to write programs. Data structures and algorithms can also be self taught. The best programmers didn't do any computer science. The guy who founded node.js studied mathematics at the university.

There are tons of first class and 2 1 computer science graduates in Nigeria who are unemployed and can't even write a single line of code in any programming language and they are "passionate".

I started learning to code in February. I used freecodecamp and finished the curriculum quickly and realised I didn't know shit got a udemy course and though the lady explained things well, I realised I didn't still know shit. By the time I got to the bootstrap section of the course, I had built like 4 projects but deep down within me I knew this weren't my projects. So I took up a hotel website and tried to replicate it and believe you me I had learnt more from just building the home page of that site that from the first 14 modules of the course. Infact just building the Navbar let me know I didn't know anything as I was using bootstrap. I quit using bootstrap downloaded more CSS courses learnt CSS deeply including responsive design, grid and flexbox which wasn't covered in the website and you need to see what I have done with basic CSS. As for JavaScript, I have over 10 JavaScript projects on my GitHub and everyday I try to at least build one project. That one project can take a week to complete depending on the complexity.

I try to code everyday for at least 3 hours. There are some days I am so hyped up and there are days I wanna watch movies or play games but no matter what I must do that 3 hours. I wouldn't call myself passionate in anyway, I would only say I am disciplined and I am consistent.

Lastly, you are disciplined but dropped architecture. You couldn't stay 4 years to finish a supposingly money printing degree and you are disciplined cheesy
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by DyingFetus: 3:08am On Dec 28, 2023
Learn C# and . Net

Don't learn java ever
Re: Programmers, Please Your Golden Advise Is Needed by joedoc44: 8:35am On Dec 28, 2023
DyingFetus:
Learn C# and . Net

Don't learn java ever

Why

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls Anyone With Knowledge Of Cobol Basics Here / Ms Cobol 4.5 / Who Has Tried Out Zend Framework 2 ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.