Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,840 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! (17892 Views)

Onitsha Had Fallen, IPOB Thanks For Putting Up A Good Fight, History Repeated / Bukola Saraki And Osinbajo Laugh Hard At Body Of Benchers Event In Abuja. Photos / 'I Never Knew A White Person Can Lie So Perfectly' Nnamdi Kanu (Video, Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 06, 2020
Onyenna:

Huh!?.... Gini n'afio ebe a?

Nothing mega ooooooo

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by 9japride(m): 7:17pm On May 06, 2020
myobjective:

Southeastern states individually have more civil servant than Kaduna, in fact, the east has the highest number civil servant among all the six geo-political zones despite having the smallest population.
[color=#006600][/color]

I am an talking about Kaduna state not Nigeria as a whole. My point was that the presence of federal government establishment in Kaduna state favours them very well. That does not remove the fact that their south easterners there. Though I don't the statistics of South easterners working in the state.
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by eagleu: 7:38pm On May 06, 2020
NGpatriot:

The FG doesn't build industries and they are not responsible for such business activities, this is the domain of private investors and they base their investments decisions on incentives, logistics, access to supplies and imputes, access to skilled and educated manpower, conducive and welcoming environment, access to large markets with buying power and disposable income so leave the FG out of that equation.

Btw, Dangote revived Nigerian truck manufacturer ANAMMCO in Enugu with a $170 million investment and purchase of 3,500 locally-assembled Shacman trucks at the production plant of Anambra Motor Manufacturing Company (ANAMMCO), Enugu.

Your anger and hatred are always misplaced and misguided because northerners do more for you than your own people and the people you carry on your shoulders as heroes..

Government doesn't build industries?
Did I hear you right?

Of course, you don't mean Nigerian government!
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by wirinet(m): 7:55pm On May 06, 2020
Beautifulminde3:

You ranting end here, it doesn't change the fact, go and study international waterways law, also read more about Danube river which more than 12 countries use, Danube empty in black Sea just like River Niger to Atlantic Ocean.
You guys (IPOB youths) are so ignorant and arrogant at the same time, I really feel pity for the average igbo. They really give the otherwise intelligent tribe a very bad name. I blame the elders for not educating their youths on the reality of things instead of letting them live in make believe world.

This poster is telling me international law will force a people or country to allow people they are not friendly with to pass through their waterways. I have not seen such agreements before. If these IPOB youths were old enough, they would have known that Abacha attempted to dredge the river niger all the way to Kaduna through Onitsha. Ijaw youths confronted the contractors and prevented them from dredging through their lands. Even Obasanjo attempted same, and was equally resisted by the ijaws.
You can read here to get a glimpse of the obstacles of dredging the river niger, even up to Onitsha;

River Niger dredging will cause trouble
The IMG has always opposed the dredging of the River Niger but the federal government has again commenced the project. The environmental impact assessment issues have not been resolved and the government wants to go ahead. We have rejected it again. We have also told communities along the River Nun to attack the dredgers to protect our environment. Government is looking for trouble and they will get it. The global climate change signal is enough for us to protect our heritage. No sane Ijaw man or woman will rely on the federal government EIA and allow dredging of River Niger.

We are back in court. Our lawyer, Femi Falana, and another Ijaw lawyer, Wilson Ajuwa, are back in court. The reasons I went to court during the military era are still there. The tsunami that destroyed the delta in Asia, where riverine communities in Malaysia, Indonesia, Bangladesh among others were submerged with flood was a bitter lesson to mankind. So only a mad person from our region will accept the government’s EIA.

Our argument is clear. We will not allow any ship to sail past our communities from London, Japan, USA Canada or any part of the world to the proposed inland new port at Baro near Abuja, built with over N80 billion while all our seaports in Warri, Burutu, Akassa, Koko, Sapele are dead
http://www.ijawmonitor.org/news.php?ct=4&article=97

These IPOB youths insulting other tribes as a reason and means of achieving secession have no idea on the intricacies and complexities of what secession entails.

6 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 06, 2020
[s]
wirinet:

You guys (IPOB youths) are so ignorant and arrogant at the same time, I really feel pity for the average igbo. They really give the otherwise intelligent tribe a very bad name. I blame the elders for not educating their youths on the reality of things instead of letting them live in make believe world.

This poster is telling me international law will force a people or country to allow people they are not friendly with to pass through their waterways. I have not seen such agreements before. If these IPOB youths were old enough, they would have known that Abacha attempted to dredge the river niger all the way to Kaduna through Onitsha. Ijaw youths confronted the contractors and prevented them from dredging through their lands. Even Obasanjo attempted same, and was equally resisted by the ijaws.
You can read here to get a glimpse of the obstacles of dredging the river niger, even up to Onitsha;

These IPOB youths insulting other tribes as a reason and means of achieving secession have no idea on the intricacies and complexities of what secession entails.
[/s]
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by NGpatriot: 8:25pm On May 06, 2020
eagleu:

Government doesn't build industries?
Did I hear you right?

Of course, you don't mean Nigerian government!

List the industries built by the FG.
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by funmijoyb(f): 9:06pm On May 06, 2020
Throwback:
See Lesotho below.

With all the multiple water bodies running through Lesotho, it is still trapped within South Africa, so it is landlocked within South Africa.

You now see why you are a parasite to the SouthSouth and why you need them so badly?

It's not just about oil. You need them to break along with you so you share their access to the sea and to international border with Cameroon. Or you need them to break out on their own, so that you would share a border with them, and not be trapped within Nigeria.

I hope your ignorance has been cured.

You can now open another topic to cry some more, and blame Yorubas for your unenviable location in Nigeria.
See as you ruin their day? grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by ProT: 9:14pm On May 06, 2020
CodeTemplar:
Benue and Taraba have bigger water bodies now.

A comparable CITY (meaning not just about the water body, but also about the level of commercial activities going on there) NOT STATE.

Now, talk about the commercial cities around the water bodies in Taraba and Benue that are comparable to Onitsha.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by Dedetwo(m): 9:14pm On May 06, 2020
Throwback:
That you do not even understand what it means to be landlocked within the present Nigerian boundary, shows you are an illiterate that needs to be educated.

Is there any Igbo state or Igbo town that borders any neighboring country, thereby part of Nigeria's international boundary? No!

Is there any Igbo state or village that is bound by the sea, thereby exiting as an international delineation? No!

You say your villages exit to a River. Will you sail from that river and continue into Non Igbo territory because the river exits into the sea? What stops the Nupe, Berom, and Igala from sailing the same river from further upland and trying to pass through Biafra and eventually into Non-Igbo territory so as to access the same sea?

You are landlocked because by the time your miniature 5states were to secede from Nigeria, without the alliance of the Ikwere or other non-Igbo tribes that have access to the sea, you will be totally locked within Nigeria just like Lesotho is locked within South Africa.

Look at the map below, and see how trapped you are. I know it feels choking.

Simply put, you will be at the mercy of Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/11482280_images4_jpeg_jpeg9f47bf0b994a4097d89d18197817d3e2

Who the hell told you the silly map you put up here is the correct map of Igbo land? It is outright idiocy for non-Igbo goons to dabble into the boundary of Igbo land. When times to settle the boundary, it could be either decided by the international tribunal or through muzzle of gun. What Nigeria talk less of mercy? Today and futures are not 1967.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by Eteka1(m): 9:19pm On May 06, 2020
That's a river.
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by ProT: 9:35pm On May 06, 2020
Throwback:
That you do not even understand what it means to be landlocked within the present Nigerian boundary, shows you are an illiterate that needs to be educated.

Is there any Igbo state or Igbo town that borders any neighboring country, thereby part of Nigeria's international boundary? No!

Is there any Igbo state or village that is bound by the sea, thereby exiting as an international delineation? No!

You say your villages exit to a River. Will you sail from that river and continue into Non Igbo territory because the river exits into the sea? What stops the Nupe, Berom, and Igala from sailing the same river from further upland and trying to pass through Biafra and eventually into Non-Igbo territory so as to access the same sea?

You are landlocked because by the time your miniature 5states were to secede from Nigeria, without the alliance of the Ikwere or other non-Igbo tribes that have access to the sea, you will be totally locked within Nigeria just like Lesotho is locked within South Africa.

Look at the map below, and see how trapped you are. I know it feels choking.

Simply put, you will be at the mercy of Nigeria.

Landlocked or not, it would be better than this present Nigeria.
The good thing about freedom is that it entails the freedom even to SELF-DESTRUCT!

The merit of staying away from a backward country that tries its best to remain backward by discouraging merit and competition, far outweighs whatever ocean we are being exposed to, in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by funmijoyb(f): 10:01pm On May 06, 2020
traihit:
Do you know why I enjoy browsing Yoruba vs Igbo threads? It's because these two tribes have a lot in common than every other tribe in Nigeria and I've also learnt that when you have a lot of things in common with someone, you compete with them. Just don't let this metamorphose into something physical.
Nothing in common...if you're from the South South I can agree you are correct that una have something in common

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by funmijoyb(f): 10:03pm On May 06, 2020
Dedetwo:

Who the hell told you the silly map you put up here is the correct map of Igbo land? It is outright idiocy for non-Igbo goons to dabble into the boundary of Igbo land. When times to settle the boundary, it could be either decided by the international tribunal or through muzzle of gun. What Nigeria talk less of mercy? Today and futures are not 1967.
Muzzle of gun? Against South South? You can't forcefully take their land. Beside Igbo have not won any war ever bf.

8 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by awakeuche(m): 11:02pm On May 06, 2020
Alot of tribal hating and foolishness from despicable people.
With all the costal waterways, resources and so called wealth.
Can you honestly say we have done it right all this year's.
Nigeria is a laughing stock, it's people pathetically defending the indefensible while suffering in penury.
You will all die wretched and frustrated, unless you begin to do something about it.
Referendum or freedom is a start.
Growth has nothing to do with waterways or coasts, there so many countries that can be examplified, it's in the mind, heart and soul of the people.
As Igbos our mindset is to grow in a country that loves her people, or be free to govern ourselves.
If you as a Nigerian feel you are happy, kindly leave us out of your happiness.
God bless.
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by PeterUdeme: 11:51pm On May 06, 2020
ProT:

A comparable CITY (meaning not just about the water body, but also about the level of commercial activities going on there) NOT STATE.

Now, talk about the commercial cities around the water bodies in Taraba and Benue that are comparable to Onitsha.

Lokoja nko?
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by DesChyko: 3:30am On May 07, 2020
Agboriotejoye:
You should read up instead. The last secession was that of Sudan and nothing of such happened. It was as rancourous as it could be.

You said and I quote that the 'host' nation decides what the seceding nation keeps. In the instance of Sudan you mentioned above, was that what played out?
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by DesChyko: 3:33am On May 07, 2020
funmijoyb:

Muzzle of gun? Against South South? You can't forcefully take their land. Beside Igbo have not won any war ever bf.

But what he said there is the fact.
If the only way to secure rightful borders is to go to war, to war it is then. It wouldn't be the first time it happened. Neither would it be the last. It is quite normal in such case, irrespective of the 'war' status of the dominant tribe.
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by oyatz(m): 4:16am On May 07, 2020
Bros, stop being funny sir, every country can decide to prevent citizens of 'hostile' countries from entering their countries.

Nigeria once expelled citizens of Ghana.

Look at the ways Nigerians were treated in S/Africa recently.

The USA under President Donald Trump few years ago banned citizens of 6 Muslim dominated Countries from entering their Countries.

If you are an Israeli citizen or you recently visit Israel, you can not enter Iran.

DesChyko:

I'll like you to focus on what Nigeria stands to lose if she decides to victimise 'citizens of another country' just because they can. China can afford to do that. They have enough clout to blow off UN. Can Nigeria afford to do that?

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by oyatz(m): 4:55am On May 07, 2020
Excuse me sir, are you aware that the River Niger didn't start at Onitsha?

Are you aware that River Nigeria run across several countries before entering Nigeria through Kebbi State,then flows through Niger State, then Kogi State before reaching Onitsha?

Can Niger Republic or Mali just enter Nigeria and start dredging River Niger to it's outlet into the Atlantic ocean because they want ship to move through the river and dock at the River Port of Niamey, Niger Republic?

DesChyko:

Dredging is the removal of sediments and debris from the bottom of lakes, rivers, harbors, and other water bodies. It is a routine necessity in waterways around the world because sedimentation—the natural process of sand and silt washing downstream—gradually fills channels and harbors.

'Dredging often is focused on maintaining or increasing the depth of navigation channels, anchorages, or berthing areas to ensure the safe passage of boats and ships. Vessels require a certain amount of water in order to float and not touch bottom. This water depth continues to increase over time as larger and larger ships are deployed. Since massive ships carry the bulk of the goods imported into the country, dredging plays a vital role in the nation's economy.'

Be sure of this. The rivers will become international waters. Can Nigeria obstruct passage on International waters? I guess not.

So that we can be very sure of all those who were scammed and those who weren't.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by nsiba: 5:23am On May 07, 2020
oyatz:

Are you aware that River Nigeria run across several countries before entering Nigeria through Kebbi State,then flows through Niger State, then Kogi State before reaching Onitsha?

Can Niger Republic or Mali just enter Nigeria and start dredging River Niger to it's outlet into the Atlantic ocean because they want ship to move through the river and dock at the River Port of Niamey, Niger Republic?

Leave the fools, after fighting with Eritrea and losing bitterly Ethiopia now pays royalty to them, Uganda is negotiating with Tanzania for a better deal coz Kenya isnt encouraging
Mali, Burkina Faso rely on Senegal and cote dvoire, truth is Igbos are born propagandist never factual

5 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by gwafaeziokwu: 5:49am On May 07, 2020
omoharry:
The Igbos are not united at all.Ordinary peter Obi that was selected as VP by a Fulani man , divided the Igbos to the extent that some top Igbo politician were ready to decamp to other parties just becos they felt they are better than the choosen one. Even other tribes had to beg You guys to let peace reign.
The pull him down syndrome is very common among the Igbo communities as compared to the yorubas or Hausas.
You guys should work on urselves before talking about creating a country for urselves.
I don't see a successful BIAFRA with a disunited Igbos.

You mean the kind of unity that existed between Akintola and Awolowo. The type that made Awolowo reject the outcome of his monumental defeat to fight his brother. A political tussle that turned brothers to wild animals to the disgust of other ethnic groups. Or you mean the type of unity that made southwest to reject and work against Obasanjo presidency even when he was better position to be accepted by all regions.

We have seen cutthroat political tussles from Ekiti to Ondo,from Ogun to Oyo, and Lagos the epicentre of agbero politics where brothers kill each other to ascend the throne. Funso Williams comes to mind.

PDP zoned the presidency to the North in the same election and more than six heavy weights from the north wanted the ticket by all means. Infact it was dollar rain in Rivers State. Nobody accused them of been too ambitious. No one admonished them to step down for each other and present one candidate. Everyone sat down and enjoyed democratic calculations and permutations until Atiku emerged.

But immediately it gets to the turn of the south east, the usual blackmail begins. Why should south East politicians have any political interest in the number two job? Why will they disagree to agree? They should have simply gone for thank giving and praise their God that they were considered as vice president? This is the insulting condescending reasoning of the average Yoruba man and he had sold this cheap blackmail through the Lagos Ibadan expressway media to other tribes in Nigeria.

This obsession with Igbo matter is really intriguing. I know it stems from inferiority complex. You guys study Igbo socio political issues more than what is happening under your noses. Hapunu anyi aka biko!!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:40am On May 07, 2020
DesChyko:

You said and I quote that the 'host' nation decides what the seceding nation keeps. In the instance of Sudan you mentioned above, was that what played out?
Yes. They left them with nothing.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:43am On May 07, 2020
oyatz:
Bros, stop being funny sir, every country can decide to prevent citizens of 'hostile' countries from entering their countries.

The USA under President Donald Trump few years ago banned citizens of 6 Muslim dominated Countries from entering their Countries.

If you are an Israeli citizen or you recently visit Israel, you can not enter Iran.

Toh. Same thing I've been telling him.
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by DesChyko: 11:03am On May 07, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Yes. They left them with nothing.

Hmmm.. Ogaa o.
What kind of ignorant bliss is this?

See how you even said it with confidence sef.
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by Nobody: 11:04am On May 07, 2020
totit:

A funny and village one at that . grin

When I saw the thread I was like.....WTF!!! grin grin

I saw the topic very early this morning, i adjusted my seat and zip some kunu. My wife came to me and said, 'this morning you are laughing, who died?'

I just looked at her and said a friend of mine was hit by some stray bullet from a guy called THROWBACK RONALD1.

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by Agboriotejoye(m): 11:04am On May 07, 2020
DesChyko:

Hmmm.. Ogaa o.
What kind of ignorant bliss is this?

See how you even said it with confidence sef.
Enlighten me
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by Ronald1(m): 11:23am On May 07, 2020
Aladegba:

I saw the topic very early this morning, i adjusted my seat and zip some kunu. My wife came to me and said, 'this morning you are laughing, who died?'

I just looked at her and said a friend of mine was hit by some stray bullet from a guy called THROWBACK RONALD1.

I don't understand u
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by DesChyko: 11:24am On May 07, 2020
oyatz:

Any idea how the Biafra that is yet to be fits this bill already?

Yes. In the 1980s targetting illegal migrants during the economic decline.

It didn't occur to me that the South African government were behind that.

The reasons for these were clearly spelt out, US being a huge target for terrorist activities and these countries having security concerns within and identity and information management issues. These are key for a country like US. Nigeria must have a concrete reason to do this.

Iran and Israel have been at loggerheads probably before my father was born. Why should this be of any relevance here?

On what grounds would Nigeria choose to be hostile or oppressive to Biafra?
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by DesChyko: 11:30am On May 07, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Enlighten me

Sudan would never have willingly bequeathed her oil revenue to South Sudan.
But the reality on ground is that South Sudan controls the oil wealth after secession.
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by DesChyko: 11:45am On May 07, 2020
oyatz:
This is not about Onitsha. It is about Biafra. And if all goes according to the original blueprint, there is nothing stopping the River Niger from being dredged.
Re: I Never Knew Onitsha Had A Large Body Of Water. Thought SE Was Landlocked? God! by TheChameleon: 11:59am On May 07, 2020
Jetleeeee....the same one? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Talk to a General , a cross dresser grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

El-Zakzaky Denies Endorsing Peter Obi Presidency / Electricity: How Do I Know The Band I Am On? / Tinubu Deliberately Put Northerners In Key Places – Ribadu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.