Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? (4695 Views)

Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland / 90% Of Sokoto Legislators Decamp To APC / 90% Of Lagos Ashies Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by bestads(m): 11:27pm On Jan 11, 2011
Why is it that 90% of Obas in Lagos state are mostly moslems?,is it that the Lagos state indigenes who are xtians do not like such titles or they are fewer in number?.

No nasty comments please,we are using this as a research material in LASU.
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by Afam4eva(m): 11:36pm On Jan 11, 2011
Like the yorubas people on this forum said. Muslims are the majority. Yoruba Christains are very few.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by tpia6: 11:37pm On Jan 11, 2011

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by jason123: 11:46pm On Jan 11, 2011
bestads:

Why is it that 90% of Obas in Lagos state are mostly moslems?,is it that the Lagos state indigenes who are xtians do not like such titles or they are fewer in number?.

I repeat, yorubas do not care about religion. The obas can be muslims, who cares? Are you against Islam? Father is a muslim and so? Abeg, you attempt to increase insecurity among yorubas is already a failure. No offence!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by franktolk(m): 11:59pm On Jan 11, 2011
We Yorubas see ourselves as one, christians,muslims or whatever we are one. we celebrate our festivals together,live together, and inter marry. We will never allow religion to create any difference amongst us. We are one.One love!

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by Katsumoto: 12:12am On Jan 12, 2011
bestads:

Yesterday it was Lagos governors are Muslims;
today it is Obas that are muslims.
Tomorrow it may be 95% of Babalawo's are Muslims
Thursday, perhaps it will be 92% of ashies that are muslims.

Can you quit with the asinine threads? A majority can tell what your divisive objective is.

2 Likes

Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by leboss6(m): 12:17am On Jan 12, 2011
Until we stop being concerned about Tribe and religion in Nigeria our problems will not only continue but it will multiply
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by dotman2(m): 12:42am On Jan 12, 2011
Katsumoto:

Can you quit with the asinine threads? A majority can tell what your divisive objective is.
. . . . Seriously the guy is jobless

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by homerac7: 4:08am On Jan 12, 2011
If u r serious enough dt ds is a school research topic for u,then u should be smart enough to hav checked d histories of religion evolutionary in south west Nigeria. Little research would hav shouwn u dt Islam was onground and widespread before Christianity was introduced into d southwest just about 200years ago.

It's a case of Christianity catching up wt Islam and not reverse. Most of d yoruba lineage dt can trace their ancestry for up to 200years and beyond will show evidence of affiliations wt Islam.

So now u can go n do ur proper research and stop idling here hoping some other persons will do ur work for u.

3 Likes

Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by Becomrichn: 5:02am On Jan 12, 2011
most of the former oba of lagos were christain. where do you get the nonsense from.

Lagos island was mostly a christain community. one old member of my family ,have a family house that my father took me to in the island when I was young.  The street is name palmchurch street, the house itself, is nearly 100 years.  It is an old street. And it is very old. more than 100 years. 

when you go to the island, most of the old street have christain names.

One of the thing lagos island was known for was christmas celebration.

Most of the oldest churches in Nigeria are located in lagos island. some dating back as 150 years ago.

That why you find methodist boys high lagos, which was formed in 1859, and kings court lagos.

Why are you igbos boys so interested in this issue. why

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 12, 2011
Katsumoto:

Thursday, perhaps it will be[b] 92% of ashies that are muslims.
[/b]

ROFLMAO

grin grin grin
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by smithll: 7:36am On Jan 12, 2011
@poster, you are a failure, a big time failure, I wonder what is the motive behind this senseless thread, go and get a job.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by igboboy1(m): 7:40am On Jan 12, 2011
HMMm maybe this bunch would be the next terrorist group in Nigeria After the Hausas,
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by bestads(m): 7:44am On Jan 12, 2011
i have been going thru your responses and it aapears that you all have one thing or the other to proffer,you ought to know that Govt pays research agencies to give accurate and statistical figures so that Govt can adequately plan the future of its citizens.

Now i know that a lot of you guys do not know how to project for the future if from your responses you seem to be abusive and vitriolic .

The Govt wants to know if they should estabilish more Islamic schools or more xtian schools that will teach misguided elements like some of you Good morals
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by igboboy1(m): 8:23am On Jan 12, 2011
bestads:

i have been going thru your responses and it aapears that you all have one thing or the other to proffer,you ought to know that Govt pays research agencies to give accurate and statistical figures so that Govt can adequately plan the future of its citizens.

Now i know that a lot of you guys do not know how to project for the future if from your responses you seem to be abusive and vitriolic .

The Govt wants to know if they should estabilish more Islamic schools or more xtian schools that will teach misguided elements like some of you Good morals

undecided
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:35pm On Jan 12, 2011
@OP Family is Muslim and I am not, guess what? we are yorubas. Islam for Yorubas is blind to race, ethnicity and other religion. unlike our Hausa initiates? talkless of the Niger Arabs who consider Black-skinned Muslims as not worthy of being children of Islam. grin How can you worship Allah and be xenophobic at the same time
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by igboboy1(m): 3:44am On Jan 13, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

@OP Family is Muslim and I am not, guess what? we are yorubas. Islam for Yorubas is blind to race, ethnicity and other religion. unlike our Hausa initiates? talkless of the Niger Arabs who consider Black-skinned Muslims as not worthy of being children of Islam.  grin How can you worship Allah and be xenophobic at the same time

Story story STOOORRRYYY
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by mensdept: 4:07am On Jan 13, 2011
Of course Yoruba people are partly muslim and partly christian. Yet religion is not seen as something divisive among them. Others may say Yoruba people dont take religion seriously (or anything serious seriously) Party Party

Nevertheless, this is Naija, and religion can and will give you the advantage, especially in regard to key postings and positions (i.e. Gov of Lagos State)
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by bestads(m): 8:42am On Jan 13, 2011
Some of you have said that Islam came to yoruba land before xtianity,i Think this is not true of Lagos State.

Some have even said that Lagos moslems are more than their xtian brothers,i am inclined to believe this because apart from the Fact that there are more moslems in LASG Govt appointments and offices,More moslem Obas,it will Interest you to know that there are more AREA BOYS and AGBEROS in LAGOS that bear Moslem Names, please counter this proof
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by idnole4(m): 10:00am On Jan 13, 2011
What research are you carrying out? What relationship does the number of obas being a muslim has with creation of schools? You better set your questions right! The nation is already tense with religious issues. Dont come here to nuture religious fundamentalist, particulartly when it comes to the south west.
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by Xfactoria: 10:02am On Jan 13, 2011
bestads:

Some of you have said that Islam came to yoruba land before xtianity,i Think this is not true of Lagos State.

Some have even said that Lagos moslems are more than their xtian brothers,i am inclined to believe this because apart from the Fact that there are more moslems in LASG Govt appointments and offices,More moslem Obas,it will Interest you to know that there are more AREA BOYS and AGBEROS in LAGOS that bear Moslem Names, please counter this proof

Guy, it is true. Islam came to Yoruba before xtianity.

Secondly, when Islam came in those days, its criticism of the Yoruba traditional religion was not firm, so a lot of the early yorubas embraced it conveniently because they could still do "Oro Ile" unlike xtianity that required them to forsake their traditional religion outrightly. The terms of Islam were really simple then. The othordox churches that brought xtianity only became more liberal with time.

Thirdly, the people who brought Islam to the Yorubas were blacks and easier to relate with unlike the white men that brought xtianity.

In Lagos in particular, there are many muslim obas for the reasons above.

In conclusion, it is difficult to say that there are more Yoruba muslims than Xtian or vice versa. I will give you examples. In Kwara, there are obviously more muslims. In Osun, it is about 60:40 muslims, xtians. In Oyo, it is the same. In Ondo and Ekiti, it is about 70:30 xtians, muslims and in Ogun, it is about 50:50 (there are more muslims Ijebu and more Xtians Egba). In Lagos (among indigenes), it is about 70:30 muslims, xtians (Lagos Island, Epe and Ikorodu are predominantly muslims). The actual figure of muslims to xtians will depend on the population of the indigenes in the states.

Go and get books on ancient yoruba islamic and christian movements to guide your research.
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by igboboy1(m): 3:38am On Jan 14, 2011
id-nole4:

What research are you carrying out? What relationship does the number of obas being a muslim has with creation of schools? You better set your questions right! The nation is already tense with religious issues. Dont come here to nuture religious fundamentalist, particulartly when it comes to the south west.

there is a correlation with muslim and school, less muslim politicians then more emphasis put on "actual" school not madrasahs, vice versa

more muslim politicians then lower school attendance (cos the pupils have gone to join alqaeda or boko haram or hamas or hezzbollah), vice versa
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by tpia6: 4:11am On Jan 14, 2011
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by sbeezy8: 4:19am On Jan 14, 2011
X-factoria:

Guy, it is true. Islam came to Yoruba before xtianity.

In conclusion, it is difficult to say that there are more Yoruba muslims than Xtian or vice versa. I will give you examples. In Kwara, there are obviously more muslims. In Osun, it is about 60:40 muslims, xtians. In Oyo, it is the same. In Ondo and Ekiti, it is about 70:30 xtians, muslims and in Ogun, it is about 50:50 (there are more muslims Ijebu and more Xtians Egba). In Lagos (among indigenes), it is about 70:30 muslims, xtians (Lagos Island, Epe and Ikorodu are predominantly muslims). The actual figure of muslims to xtians will depend on the population of the indigenes in the states.

Go and get books on ancient yoruba islamic and christian movements to guide your research.

you took the words right out of my mouth esp with the christian muslim ratio from state to state and even ijebus and egbas soooo correct. ive always said that muslims maybe be slightly more than christian or if it is 50/50 in yorubaland half of the christian converts were originally muslim/ from muslim families.
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by Jenifa1: 4:23am On Jan 14, 2011
Becoming an oba requires rituals and rites that goes against their christian beliefs.
many christians are not interested in the titles and many more reject the traditional system.

I would be surprised if there are any christians at all among the royal family. If they convert, they would usually leave the family. most are not interested period! they consider it to be devilish.

Katsumoto:

lwkmd grin
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by ekubear1: 5:04am On Jan 14, 2011
^-- Our oba is Christian, but has 5 wives tongue
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by Jenifa1: 5:43am On Jan 14, 2011
^ hhahahaha. what church does he attend? cele? lol
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by sbeezy8: 5:44am On Jan 14, 2011
ooni of ife is christian - anglican i think
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by Jenifa1: 5:46am On Jan 14, 2011
ok. I lied then
but most christians I know, esp pentecostals, will rather lose their leg than go near traditional titles.  grin lol

and how did he get away with 5 wives though. or are u joking @eku-bear
@eku-bear, your profile pic, are u gay? or a fashion designer? lol
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by ekubear1: 6:10am On Jan 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

ok. I lied then
but most christians I know, esp pentecostals, will rather lose their leg than go near traditional titles.  grin lol
Lol. One day if/when my village gives me a traditional title, no chance of me running away from it  wink

and how did he get away with 5 wives though. or are u joking @eku-bear
Syncretic Christianity. Both of my grandfathers had two wives. Polygamy is dying out though, except for kings.

@eku-bear, your profile pic, are u gay? or a fashion designer? lol
undecided That is my boo. . . I'm straight as an arrow  tongue
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by Jenifa1: 6:12am On Jan 14, 2011
^ so why cut the head off? it seems you are displaying a clothing design. even the pose sef na wah. real architectural.
hahhahaha
Re: 90% Of Lagos Obas Have Muslim Names Or They Are Muslims: Why? by ekubear1: 6:17am On Jan 14, 2011
^-- Good point, lol.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gunmen Kill 7 In Yobe / The Richest Most Powerfull 7 Year Old In The World. / Anambra: Obi Campaigns For Catholic Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.