Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,281 members, 7,818,951 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

The Ika People{igbanke}. - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ika People{igbanke}. (46199 Views)

Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. / History Of Ika People(umunede) / Ika People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by tonychristopher: 2:47pm On Aug 04, 2015
spartacus11:
my brother I have read about the invasion and body could write anything, today america has military command in some country, through there they are able to wage war on their enemy, don't think if u hear that america bombed militant in iraq don't think the fighter jet came from U.S.A, they always have military command in countries closer to were there are fight, it was same the biafra did, so tagging it an invasion is the wrong word, you can postu goggle findings here let people judge if that is how invasion look like

bro your correct but there is this actions that edos took on delta Igbo because they assumed they are one with Benin yet they killed them, then changed Igbo akiri to igbanke

what do you call that

mind you when USA citizens are killed america will descend on the country perpetrators that was what Biafra did somehow with that mid west invasion
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by spartacus11(m): 2:53pm On Aug 04, 2015
tonychristopher:

I don't know who is messing with your brain by telling you that

pls son I will advise you do research the role Benin played , how the killed the delta Igbo in ugbowo and uselu

ask how the oba told Nigerian army that anything after abudu they should pillage

they have taken sides by their actions and utterances so biafran descended on them heavily

but mind you I am no pyromaniac or war monger just lecturing history
descended on them heavily, military descending on civilian u mean, don't talk as if benin has a personal military, and secondly u history books should give the extent of the damage done by biafra in benin non I could find u may dome well by. Referring me to those places I can see the damage done if u come to benin today I can still take u to were biafra military camped, and thirdly through out the reign of biafra they were using their biafra pounds and had their own central bank was that currency used in benin as I did not find any trace of were biafra pound was used, so if it was an invasion why was biafra government didn't take control of our land and enforce their currency and tomake us pledge allegiance to them, quote ur books let all of us have a look at it all

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by spartacus11(m): 2:56pm On Aug 04, 2015
tonychristopher:

bro your correct but there is this actions that edos took on delta Igbo because they assumed they are one with Benin yet they killed them, then changed Igbo akiri to igbanke

what do you call that

mind you when USA citizens are killed america will descend on the country perpetrators that was what Biafra did somehow with that mid west invasion
you know it has been a culture in this country were history has been turned against itself, even the bible today have different account of how Jesus lived here on earth

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by spartacus11(m): 3:03pm On Aug 04, 2015
tonychristopher:

what do you call that

if that is true the is only just a reaction to what the binis did, beside that we don't know what really cause the issue as of today edo delta and edo ondo still has boundary dispute and at times community clashes, so I don't really know what led to that as I will hardly accept is because of the biafra war
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by tonychristopher: 3:30pm On Aug 04, 2015
spartacus11:
you know it has been a culture in this country were history has been turned against itself, even the bible today have different account of how Jesus lived here on earth

one thing is that I love your openness I was with one man from ekpoma and elderly man he was narrated how esan killed an Igbo in his face ..you see these are the things they won't tel you but it is said that...

yes they have turned history upside down

it's like debating that igbanke known as Igbo akiri then are not Igbo
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by spartacus11(m): 5:01pm On Aug 04, 2015
tonychristopher:

one thing is that I love your openness I was with one man from ekpoma and elderly man he was narrated how esan killed an Igbo in his face ..you see these are the things they won't tel you but it is said that...

yes they have turned history upside down

it's like debating that igbanke known as Igbo akiri then are not Igbo
that's unfortunate, but today the reverse is the case as many igbo men have married from esan, for. Every 10 igbo man that got married from edo state 8 got married from esan
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Truthislife: 6:36am On Sep 02, 2015
Ika's are not Igbos, how stupid that sounds. They were colonized by the binis not Igbos for hundreds of years yet they still speak Igboid dialect despite their closeness to bini. You people should stop all these. All groups under the Igoid cluster and even beyond are Igbo. Igbos communities/groups cover the entire South Eastern Nigeria, Delta north, majority of Rivers State, some pockets in Bayelsa, Cross River, Akwa Ibom. Benue and Kogi states

2 Likes

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Chysler(m): 9:45am On Mar 05, 2017
Late colonel NWAWO from igbanke in present day Edo state in the civil war documentary after the war said dt he was in Britain undergoing military training when the war broke out and had to be summoned back to Nigeria, on his arrival he was told to take soldiers and fight against Biafra but he refused asking them how can he fight his Brothers (igbos), he was imprisoned but was later released by Biafra soldiers wen they entered Benin and he fought on the side of Biafra. In the clip he maintained dt the Igbanke Pple are a sub or a dialect of Igbo Pple and therefore Igbo... Am proud of this man, He is one of the silent Hero's of Biafra!God rest his soul

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by gerg: 10:28am On Mar 06, 2017
Truthislife:
Ika's are not Igbos, how stupid that sounds. They were colonized by the binis not Igbos for hundreds of years yet they still speak Igboid dialect despite their closeness to bini. You people should stop all these. All groups under the Igoid cluster and even beyond are Igbo. Igbos communities/groups cover the entire South Eastern Nigeria, Delta north, majority of Rivers State, some pockets in Bayelsa, Cross River, Akwa Ibom. Benue and Kogi states
Ikas were never colonized. Ika has been existing before Bini became an empire and all the names and founders are Edoid. please stop saying what you don't know.

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by gerg: 10:31am On Mar 06, 2017
Chysler:
Late colonel NWAWO from igbanke in present day Edo state in the civil war documentary after the war said dt he was in Britain undergoing military training when the war broke out and had to be summoned back to Nigeria, on his arrival he was told to take soldiers and fight against Biafra but he refused asking them how can he fight his Brothers (igbos), he was imprisoned but was later released by Biafra soldiers wen they entered Benin and he fought on the side of Biafra. In the clip he maintained dt the Igbanke Pple are a sub or a dialect of Igbo Pple and therefore Igbo... Am proud of this man, He is one of the silent Hero's of Biafra!God rest his soul
Nwawo is not from Edo neither is he an Ika man. Even after you were corrected in the other thread, being an Igbo man, you still went ahead and broadcast your lies. Igbos tell lie not because they don't know is lie, but because the derive a joy in lies and self deception. i

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Chysler(m): 11:08am On Mar 06, 2017
[/quote][quote author=gerg post=54318288] Nwawo is not from Edo neither is he an Ika man. Even after you were corrected in the other thread, being an Igbo man, you still went ahead and broadcast your lies. Igbos tell lie not because they don't know is lie, but because the derive a joy in lies and self deception. i

Sorry I retake that post, I just researched, you are correct, he us from onicha olona... I posted both same time... I came to my wrong conclusion base on the documentary the man was saying Igbo officers of Nigeria military stretching from across the Niger to igbanke in midwest WHERE HE AND SOME OF HIS COLLEAGUES ARE FROM HAD TO BACK THEIR BROTHERS FROM THE EAST... Dts how I came to that wrong Hasty conclusion but now I realise he wasn't pointing about igbanke in particular but igbo Midwest in general...
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by gerg: 12:26pm On Mar 06, 2017
Chysler:

Sorry I retake that post, I just researched, you are correct, he us from onicha olona... I posted both same time... I came to my wrong conclusion base on the documentary the man was saying Igbo officers of Nigeria military stretching from across the Niger to igbanke in midwest WHERE HE AND SOME OF HIS COLLEAGUES ARE FROM HAD TO BACK THEIR BROTHERS FROM THE EAST... Dts how I came to that wrong Hasty conclusion but now I realise he wasn't pointing about igbanke in particular but igbo Midwest in general...
Yes. HASTY SPECULATIONS. Everything about the Igbos is hasty speculation. History to the Igbos is about speculations, postulations and theorems. Propapanga, lies, fabrications and concoctions. Facts means nothing to you guys.

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Chysler(m): 3:30pm On Mar 06, 2017
[/quote][quote author=gerg post=54321726] Yes. HASTY SPECULATIONS. Everything about the Igbos is hasty speculation. History to the Igbos is about speculations, postulations and theorems. Propapanga, lies, fabrications and concoctions. Facts means nothing to you guys.

Please read well I never said hasty SPECULATION rather hasty CONCLUSION. I did the honourable thing by acknowleging am wrong at that. But the fact is that you are blinded by your no just course Hatred for Igbos... And in the process u see yourself as the mouthpiece of Ika pple and therefore anyone that dispute u becomes a history distorter, fabricator, concoter and propagandist...

You talked about fact and which I believe u know but chose to be blind to it.. Ika Pple as is very well known has Pple of Bini and Igbo origins... And the former being settlers who are fleeing the harsh Benin empire and therefore seeked asylum among the Igbo speaking aboringes of present day ika areas... That assimilation of words across the two Pple happen over years does not mean that every ika person was once a Bini person who got igbonised along the line.. Dt sounds so funny and the argument doesn't hold any water even to the lamest individual... I continue to ask this question how can a language influence another language and the influencing language wipes out 80 percent of the influenced language to become dominant... Dts really silly...

Most of u dt are always quick to point out dt ika is not Igbo are only the Bini settlers in ika and are distinguishable with your Bini surnames... Ika Pple with Igbo surnames even though may not be overt about being Igbo like an Anambra man will be knows in his heart dt hebis Igbo... I have one I employed recently, her surname is Mgbakor which in Igbo means "gathering" and another by name ijeamaka which means "beautiful journey"... They are from Agbor and I converse in Igbo with them even though one can clearly see Thr central Igbo isn't so refined but that is understandable because of Thr long distance proximity from the main Igbo cluster of southeast.. But the fact remains that we understand what each other is saying! Most of u ika of Bini origins knows all dis things but chose to shut this Pple up and assimilated them into Bini fold because of Thr close proximity to Bini than igbos of southeast.

Be dt as it maybe, am not one of those who are on nairaland to do anything to convince ika Pple dt they r igbo or not... I just stated what I watched in a documentary which I now understand i misunderstood and have recalled it.. You can be whatever u want to be , it can't stop igbos from moving forward...
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by oyatz(m): 8:40am On Mar 20, 2017
People like you fail to understand one basic fact; ethnicity is very dynamic and most things in life do change.
2000 years ago, there were no people called English, Igbo, Russian, Hausa or Yoruba peoples and in a century time, Igbo, Ika, Igala and some other groups might have become one ethnic group.
The most important thing is SELF IDENTIFICATION
Nobody can force you to be who you don't want to be.

006:
^^^

Don't mind agbotaen, arguing with him is not advisable for your health, else be ready to read repetitive prose he has been posting on every site.

No Igbo tribe/group speak 100% central Igbo, but fortunately, I grew up where central Igbo is spoken so I can communicate with everyone. As far as I am concerned, any tribe that speak 70% or more is Igbo. Izzi group speak 70 - 80% Igbo, yet they are Igbos. Igbo was never homogenous (and not all were descendants of Eri) and apart from western Igbos that had influences from Bini, it was only the Aro group that had a King (I may be wrong).

One is entitled to call oneself anything but can't force the world to change how ethnicity or ethnic groups are classified - the world won't deviate from the norms just because of you.

Even Ika neighbours, Bini, call them Igbo. They belong to Anioma which invariably a member of Ohaneze.

So agbotaen, you can go on and on, call yourself anything, but no rational man would deviate from what ethnicity is. So you'll always be called Igbo or to respect your special identity, Ika-Igbo, never Ika-Bini nor just Ika because Ika can never be classified as an ethnic group.

Within yourselves, you can call yourself Ika just like Aros, Ngwas, Nsukas, Izzis etc do. No difference.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by omosefeeguaibor(f): 8:05pm On Mar 31, 2017
sonya4all:
What ever u guys like to say abt ika can be said.I wonder what u guys want that u are trying 2 align the ika nation 2 igbos.We are not igbos and never can be igbos.God forbid.What the names ur calling are names that igbo men who married from ika gave their kids.My great grand parents are edos and they came from benin.I think i need 2 clear all these misconceptions by creating another threat abt our history especially umunede.Tnks
. I second you sir!

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by omosefeeguaibor(f): 10:49pm On Mar 31, 2017
sonya4all:
@abotean,am very very happy that i have another ika in the house 2 tell these block headed fools that we are not igbo,pls dnt waste ur precious time arguing with them,cos ive tried but no way,but one thing is that no matter what they say,ali lka remains ika,we are undivided,@the bas.Ta.Rd. That said ika is not an ethnic group i suggest u go an check the ethnic groups in nigeria,even though,eventualy ika joins ohaneze ndi oshi,i will NEVER BE part of it,i just wonder what u guy wish 2 gain by alaigning ika with igbos.Mtcheeeew!@aboteam pls leav this thread,thers a thread specialy made for the ikas,pls locate it,lets discus how 2 move ika 2 a greater height.Cheers
hello, i'd like to be part of the thread for the ikas, I recently came across this.

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by gerg: 6:45pm On Apr 01, 2017
omosefeeguaibor:
hello, i'd like to be part of the thread for the ikas, I recently came across this.
Thanks sis. Are you from Ika or Edo? I'm from Agbor.

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by omosefeeguaibor(f): 10:11pm On Apr 01, 2017
gerg:
Thanks sis. Are you from Ika or Edo? I'm from Agbor.
Edo igbanke precisely

2 Likes

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by gerg: 2:36pm On Apr 02, 2017
omosefeeguaibor:
Edo igbanke precisely
Alua Nwenen. Nani?

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by omosefeeguaibor(f): 8:46pm On Apr 02, 2017
gerg:
Alua Nwenen. Nani?
owuma! Yemeyeke

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by blowjanet: 10:09pm On Jul 26, 2017
I dont know why Ibo people are forcing Ika people into your fold, We are in Delta State not the East. Ika was a strong Kingdom on its own and had numerous war with Bini but originated from Bini. I have had numerous conversatiomn with my Grandmother who is in her 90's about the origins of Agbor as awhole, she says there were two brother who had conflict in the bini kingdom and one of the brothers left and settled in what we know as Ika land. the reason Ika people speak some igbonoid is because of 1.) trade relationships in the past 2.) ibo people gradually infiltrating the town as they still do today. 3. colonial masters

My grandmother speaks unadultrated Ika and when she gets into a conversation with my mum i dont hear any ibo infaCT no ibo at all. it sounds more Bini than igbo which is the reason when Ika people get into deep unadultrated conversations an ibo person can not make out a single word.

Lets just respect each other.

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by blowjanet: 10:11pm On Jul 26, 2017
Taken from another ika thread. The below are Ika names/words with meaning in english. do these look or sound ibo to you (except for one or two)

1. erunmuh - gold
2. osebor - gods blessing
3. ehiabor - gods blessing
4. chukwusiaeri- god is my witness
5. ehisiaeri- god is my wtness
6. osesiaeri- god is my witness
7. ikpanmiose- i thank god
8. idigun - strong person
9. adhuaran- giant
10. ehiedu- god is leading me
11, ehioma-the lord is good
12. ighogho- happinness
13. ighoghose- happinness of god
14. oyo- joy
15. iyare- safety and blessings
16. ewere- luck
17. okpohoka- woman is greatest
18. okpohose- woman of god
19 . okpohowuku - woman is a good treasure
20. ekawuku- hand bring wealth
21. efe- wealth
22. odafe- wealthy person
23. efose- wealth of god
24. uwebor- blessed life
25. ehigiator- god gives long life
26. agbonma- the fAMILY knows
27. ese- gift
28. esose- gift of god
29. ehiyemofe - god gave freely
30. osewuedionma- god is senior ,
this are traditional ika names
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by gerg: 11:07am On Aug 20, 2017
blowjanet:
Taken from another ika thread. The below are Ika names/words with meaning in english. do these look or sound ibo to you (except for one or two)

1. erunmuh - gold
2. osebor - gods blessing
3. ehiabor - gods blessing
4. chukwusiaeri- god is my witness
5. ehisiaeri- god is my wtness
6. osesiaeri- god is my witness
7. ikpanmiose- i thank god
8. idigun - strong person
9. adhuaran- giant
10. ehiedu- god is leading me
11, ehioma-the lord is good
12. ighogho- happinness
13. ighoghose- happinness of god
14. oyo- joy
15. iyare- safety and blessings
16. ewere- luck
17. okpohoka- woman is greatest
18. okpohose- woman of god
19 . okpohowuku - woman is a good treasure
20. ekawuku- hand bring wealth
21. efe- wealth
22. odafe- wealthy person
23. efose- wealth of god
24. uwebor- blessed life
25. ehigiator- god gives long life
26. agbonma- the fAMILY knows
27. ese- gift
28. esose- gift of god
29. ehiyemofe - god gave freely
30. osewuedionma- god is senior ,
this are traditional ika names

Who do you blame? THe Igbos or the Ikas that forsake these beautiful Ika names and start giving their children names that don't have any meaning in Ika language, culture and believe. Any chi and chukwu names are not real Ika names. and imagine someone giving his son Kelechuku which means greet God instead of Kpanmiose which means thank God. or Anwuri instead of Ighogho or Aghogho. Onu Ika need to change strategy and start resensitization of Ika people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Chysler(m): 4:24pm On Aug 20, 2017
gerg:

Who do you blame? THe Igbos or the Ikas that forsake these beautiful Ika names and start giving their children names that don't have any meaning in Ika language, culture and believe. Any chi and chukwu names are not real Ika names. and imagine someone giving his son Kelechuku which means greet God instead of Kpanmiose which means thank God. or Anwuri instead of Ighogho or Aghogho. Onu Ika need to change pstrategy and start resensitization of Ika people.

They are igbos , they were never Edo or bini people before.... Leopard can never change its spots... When the Night comes the chicken must come to roost... The raging river can bark, roar and yammer as long as it want but when the time comes the tree stump that fell inside it must always sail up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by derancephalon: 5:29pm On Nov 10, 2017
Hi guys, I'm married to an Ika man and we are expecting... I love the Ika language and culture.
Can any of you give me beautiful Ika name suggestions with their meanings?
Thank you very much.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Sufferingboy(f): 8:24am On Apr 18, 2021
Mod front page thread. mynd44 seun
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by MYZOLE: 9:48am On Apr 21, 2021

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ovie Richard Layeguen, Delta Monarch Who Reads Without Glasses / Christie Sells Nigerian Statues Of Igbo Deities That Were Looted / Policemen In Trouble, Offer Sacrifice For Arresting Spiritual Drummers In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.