Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,532 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

My Ex-wife Got The Family Home In Our Divorce Just Weeks Ago - But Now My Busine - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Ex-wife Got The Family Home In Our Divorce Just Weeks Ago - But Now My Busine (423 Views)

Im Thinking Of Divorce Just Few Months Into Marriage / My Husband Divorced Me And Married Other After 4 Months From Our Divorce / “I Almost Lost My Life 3 Days Ago But My Boobs Saved Me” - Lady Recounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Ex-wife Got The Family Home In Our Divorce Just Weeks Ago - But Now My Busine by Dunuac: 10:03am On May 09, 2020
Is a final financial order on divorce always final? Our family home was transferred to my ex-wife shortly before the coronavirus outbreak.

Subsequently, my business has collapsed. Had this happened before the court order I don’t think the judge would have given the house to my wife in its entirety.

Can the order be changed given the exceptional circumstances?

Mark Harrop, a family lawyer in London-based solicitors Family Law Partners, replies: This is a really interesting question. Some elements of financial orders are easier to change than others.

Maintenance payments, for example, can always be varied. If someone has lost their job it can be fairly straightforward to have those payments reduced or suspended.

You can also vary the timing of lump sum instalments if the original timetable is no longer affordable.

TOP STORIES
SHOWBIZ
COVID19
SPORT

LIVE TOP STORIES
thumbnail
Coronation Street spoilers: Sally Metcalfe exposes Geoff’s abuse and saves Yasmeen Nazir in shock twist?
site icon
Metro·14hrs ago
See more versions
thumbnail
This Morning's Phillip Schofield clarifies moving out reports as he is pictured with wife Stephanie at marital home
site icon
Hello!·3hrs ago
See more versions
thumbnail
Jason Derulo 'is DATING Manchester United player Jesse Lingard's ex-girlfriend Jena Frumes with the two self-isolating together in LA'
site icon
MailOnline·11hrs ago
See more versions
thumbnail
Gogglebox viewers are moved to tears as the show joins Scarlett Moffatt and other stars paying tribute to June Bernicoff after her death aged 82
site icon
MailOnline·10hrs ago
See more versions
thumbnail
Holly Willoughby auctions herself off for a date with some very lucky fans
site icon
Daily Star·2hrs ago
See more versions
thumbnail
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'took secret flight to LA on $150m private plane'
site icon
Daily Star·11hrs ago
See more versions
thumbnail
Ben Foden plucks ingrown hair from pregnant wife's intimate area in bizarre video
site icon
Daily Star·2hrs ago
See more versions
Click here to view more
Other elements, including transferring properties, are far harder to change. This is because it means reopening part or all of the case to reassess the fairness of the original order, something judges are extremely reluctant to do.

Mark Harrop, a family lawyer in London-based solicitors Family Law Partners +3
Mark Harrop, a family lawyer in London-based solicitors Family Law Partners
Underpinning this is idea that orders should give divorced couples certainty and finality so they can move on with their lives.

To have any chance of succeeding a number of tests need to be met.

First, you need to show a significant change in circumstances within months of the final order.

(1) (Reply)

Seriously Searching / Your Mother Or Your Wife Who Will You Love More And Why? / Millions Of Dollars Fall From Truck In America [video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.