Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,876 members, 7,821,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) (12653 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by kidonig: 3:51am On Jan 13, 2011
You will scarcely hear this part of the scripture read in the church when tithing is being talked about. Its just a food for thought and I will like the spiritually enlightened members of this forum to throw more light on this topic.

Are we meant to eat our tithe and give some ( I repeat, give some) to our priest as this scripture is suggesting?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy%2014:22-29&version=NIV

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 (New International Version, ©2010)

Tithes

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

I will like a mature debate on this topic and not name calling so that people will learn from this thread.
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by xgel: 5:18am On Jan 13, 2011
Tithe belongs to Go, don't eat what doesn't belong to you.

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by KunleOshob(m): 6:57am On Jan 13, 2011
The scripture above clearly explains how tithing should be done even far better than the abused malachi 3 usually quoted to extort money from the gullible. Its so unfortunate that preachers who claim to represent the truth would rather ignore God's instruction on tithing as clearly articulated in deuteronomy 14 and invent a mordern version which is twisted to mean money from regular income. Its so glaring that this is a fraudulent manipulation of scripture yet it has been perpetuated and instituted in the church all becos of greed.

3 Likes

Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by kidonig: 7:23am On Jan 13, 2011
Xgel,
I wanted a constructive discussion and not a blind assertion. Please open your bible to Deuteronomy 14:22-29, study it to show yourself approved, a work man rightly dividing the word of truth. Then come back and make a more constructive comment.

2 Likes

Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by Joagbaje(m): 12:54pm On Jan 13, 2011
There is a yearly tithe which everyone gives to God though the priests , but there is another tithes that is shared with the poor,priests ,and strangers , this is every three years. It is different from the normal tithe.

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by KunleOshob(m): 2:08pm On Jan 13, 2011
@Uncle joe
It's the other way round, if you read deuteronomy 14:22-26 very well it clearly states "each" year in verse 22 and it said it should be eaten by the tither in verse 23. I am also glad you acknowledge that the tithes of tithes ordained are yearly and evry three years. How then did the scammers claiming to collect tithes on behalf of God arrive at the weekly/monthly/regular tithes that they extort from gullibles.

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by kidonig: 3:04pm On Jan 13, 2011
Joagbaje:

There is a yearly tithe which everyone gives to God though the priests , but there is another tithes that is shared with the poor,priests ,and strangers , this is every three years. It is different from the normal tithe.

Any scriptures to back what you just said? I pasted a part of the bible from Deut 14 to make it easy for everyone. If you say that there are different types of tithe ( I have never heard this preached in the church) then show me some scriptures so that I can read and follow your line of thought.

Something else occurred to me. I have seen many people in NL bashing anyone that seem to have a dissenting opinion without even being patient enough to hear the person out. The Berean Christians were praised in the new testament because they went home to search the scriptures to see if what they were told in church was according to the scriptures. That is why I don't want any blind assertion with no backing scriptures. If you want other Christians to learn, don't shut down the argument because of what you pastor told you. Lets do what the bible says.
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by KunleOshob(m): 3:19pm On Jan 13, 2011
@Kidonig
For the benefit of your discussion with Joagbaje, kindly note that he has been confirmed to be a pastor with christ embassy and the tithes you are querying here is a source of income to him. He is one of the people who benefit from the manipulation of the biblical tithing so don't expect any reasonable or objective discussion with him.
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by kidonig: 3:31pm On Jan 13, 2011
Hmmmm
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by garyarnold(m): 7:26pm On Jan 13, 2011
There were three different tithes, each with a different definition, different purpose, and with different instructions.

Leviticus 27:30-33, Numbers 18: The First Tithe - a tenth of crops and animals and commanded to take the tithe to the Levites. This tithe is the one church leaders use (and change to fit their needs). This one is sometimes called The Lord's Tithe. It is the ONLY one of the three tithes that God claimed was His. This was a yearly tithe.

Deuteronomy 14:22-27: The Second Tithe aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take for the yearly feast.

Deuteronomy 14:28-29: The Third Tithe aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.

Don't forget Leviticus 25:3-7 – The seven-year sabbath for the land. Because there could be no sowing or harvest every seven years, there was no tithe on the seventh year.

Furthermore, the ONLY people in the Old Testament that were commanded to tithe were those who INHERITED THE PROMISED LAND WITH EVERYTHING ON IT. They got the land, house, animals, crops, etc. ALL FREE AND CLEAR. No mortgage payment or rent to pay. And THEY were commanded to tithe on the crops and animals and take it to the Levites who INHERITED the tithe INSTEAD OF the promised land with everything on it. No one else tithed. Wage earners did not tithe. Jesus didn’t tithe. Paul didn’t tithe. Peter didn’t tithe.
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by Joagbaje(m): 10:35am On Jan 14, 2011
@kunleoshob
KunleOshob:

@Kidonig
For the benefit of your discussion with Joagbaje, kindly note that he has been confirmed to be a pastor with christ embassy and the tithes you are querying here is a source of income to him. He is one of the people who benefit from the manipulation of the biblical tithing so don't expect any reasonable or objective discussion with him.

My life outside nairaland should not be your concern .I am a successful business man. And a giver to the work of God . several friends know me here. If a have a  pastoral responsibility or not it shouldnt be your headache. it's has nothing to do with my post . You judge my post by the word of God and learn . What are you afraid of? Either you like it or not , I will say the truth of the bible . Please stop harassing me on Nairaland . Thanks
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by Joagbaje(m): 10:47am On Jan 14, 2011
kidonig:

Any scriptures to back what you just said? I pasted a part of the bible from Deut 14 to make it easy for everyone. If you say that there are different types of tithe ( I have never heard this preached in the church) then show me some scriptures so that I can read and follow your line of thought.

Yes i will show you from the word. I will respond appropriately as soon as I settle down.

Something else occurred to me. I have seen many people in NL bashing anyone that seem to have a dissenting opinion without even being patient enough to hear the person out. The Berean Christians were praised in the new testament because they went home to search the scriptures to see if what they were told in church was according to the scriptures. That is why I don't want any blind assertion with no backing scriptures. If you want other Christians to learn, don't shut down the argument because of what you pastor told you. Lets do what the bible says.

That's one of my great concerns, those who perpetuate lies are afraid of exposure by truth. So they get into personality attack , if they have any good point , they should relax and bring it forth. The word of God is our authority.
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by kidonig: 10:59am On Jan 14, 2011
garyarnold:

There were three different tithes, each with a different definition, different purpose, and with different instructions.

Leviticus 27:30-33, Numbers 18:  The First Tithe - a tenth of crops and animals and commanded to take the tithe to the Levites.  This tithe is the one church leaders use (and change to fit their needs).  This one is sometimes called The Lord's Tithe.  It is the ONLY one of the three tithes that God claimed was His.  This was a yearly tithe.

Deuteronomy 14:22-27:  The Second Tithe aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take for the yearly feast.  

Deuteronomy 14:28-29:  The Third Tithe aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.

Don't forget Leviticus 25:3-7 – The seven-year sabbath for the land.  Because there could be no sowing or harvest every seven years, there was no tithe on the seventh year.

Furthermore, the ONLY people in the Old Testament that were commanded to tithe were those who INHERITED THE PROMISED LAND WITH EVERYTHING ON IT. They got the land, house, animals, crops, etc. ALL FREE AND CLEAR. No mortgage payment or rent to pay. And THEY were commanded to tithe on the crops and animals and take it to the Levites who INHERITED the tithe INSTEAD OF the promised land with everything on it.  No one else tithed.  Wage earners did not tithe.  Jesus didn’t tithe.  Paul didn’t tithe.  Peter didn’t tithe.

That was a thoughtful piece. I will have to read those scriptures and tell you what I think later.
Joagbaje:

@kunleoshob
My life outside nairaland should not be your concern .I am a successful business man. And a giver to the work of God . several friends know me here.  If a have a  pastoral responsibility or not it shouldnt be your headache. it's has nothing to do with my post . You judge my post by the word of God and learn . What are you afraid of? Either you like it or not , I will say the truth of the bible . Please stop harassing me on Nairaland . Thanks

No one is harassing you my good friend. If you do feel harassed, then please accept my apologies. If indeed you are a pastor, then your take on this issue is very vital. You made statements without scriptural backing hence the reply you got. Tithing has been a very skewed aspect of the recent Christian theology and I believe that the fact that many Christians don't search the scriptures before they follow their pastors blindly without asking any questions, is a very dangerous practice. It is even made to look like disobedience when you have a dissenting opinion.

The issue of tithing needs to be discussed openly. Running away from discussing it because of pre-conceived ideas or the fear of doing something wrong, is in itself, ungodly.
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by KunleOshob(m): 11:13am On Jan 14, 2011
Joagbaje:

@kunleoshob
My life outside nairaland should not be your concern .I am a successful business man. And a giver to the work of God . several friends know me here. If a have a pastoral responsibility or not it shouldnt be your headache. it's has nothing to do with my post . You judge my post by the word of God and learn . What are you afraid of? Either you like it or not , I will say the truth of the bible . Please stop harassing me on Nairaland . Thanks

Judging your posts by the word of God makes it crystal clear that you are a poorly schooled manipulator of the gospel as such there is absolutely nothing to learn from you. That aside several of us can testify on Nairaland that you hardly ever say the truth as far as the bible is concerned. What you do is to manipulate scriptures and quote them out of context. tongue

Calling yourself businessman also falls in line with the fact that you and your mentor Oyaks see the gospel as a business and a means of making money, after all it is a well known fact CEC plc is a business.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by Joagbaje(m): 11:26am On Jan 14, 2011
kidonig:

No one is harassing you my good friend. If you do feel harassed, then please accept my apologies. If indeed you are a pastor, then your take on this issue is very vital. You made statements without scriptural backing hence the reply you got.
The issue of tithing needs to be discussed openly. Running away from discussing it because of pre-conceived ideas or the fear of doing something wrong, is in itself, ungodly.

I wasnt talking to you . My response was for kunleoshob,or are you kunleoshob?.

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by kidonig: 2:10pm On Jan 14, 2011
Joagbaje:

I wasnt talking to you . My response was for kunleoshob,or are you kunleoshob?.

No I am not. Can we get back to topic, guys and girls,

Cheers
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by Druss(m): 11:36am On Oct 10, 2014
Good post. Why wasnt this discussion continued?
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by ujchief(m): 5:20pm On Dec 25, 2014
Druss:
Good post. Why wasnt this discussion continued?

Quite an eye-opener! Why wasn't this continued?

Anyone?
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by WinsomeX: 8:17pm On Dec 25, 2014
This time last year, the greatest discussion on tithes Nairaland had ever known was ongoing. Refer:

www.nairaland.com/1548047/theological-discuss-tithing-rhymeyjohn-image123
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by Image123(m): 8:41pm On Dec 25, 2014
WinsomeX:
This time last year, the greatest discussion on tithes Nairaland had ever known was ongoing. Refer:

www.nairaland.com/1548047/theological-discuss-tithing-rhymeyjohn-image123
You overrate yourself. BTW, i noticed you wishing yourself merry christmas in the other thread, what is the meaning of that one?
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by WinsomeX: 2:04pm On Dec 26, 2014
Image123:

You overrate yourself. BTW, i noticed you wishing yourself merry christmas in the other thread, what is the meaning of that one?

And what exactly is your headache? That you were trounced soundly in a tithe discuss you were never supposed to have been involved with because you had no point defending a fraud or that you lack enough common sense to mind your own business especially when my business is not infringing on yours in anyway?

So my guy, abeg, if you want to enjoy some peace on this forum in the New Year, stay out of my business.

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by Image123(m): 2:43pm On Dec 26, 2014
WinsomeX:

And what exactly is your headache? That you were trounced soundly in a tithe discuss you were never supposed to have been involved with because you had no point defending a fraud or that you lack enough common sense to mind your own business especially when my business is not infringing on yours in anyway?

So my guy, abeg, if you want to enjoy some peace on this forum in the New Year, stay out of my business.
Delirium seems to be setting in, pele.
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by WinsomeX: 3:57pm On Dec 26, 2014
Image123:

Delirium seems to be setting in, pele.

I will stick with my so called delirium and you should stay with the unfortunate truth that while that thread remains the greatest discuss on tithes, it also doubles as the greatest portrayal of your ignorance on the subject. By the time I am through with your busybody stu_pidity, you will learn not to mess with delirious individuals either on nl or anywhere else.

agba'ya..!

3 Likes

Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by Image123(m): 8:50pm On Dec 26, 2014
WinsomeX:

I will stick with my so called delirium and you should stay with the unfortunate truth that while that thread remains the greatest discuss on tithes, it also doubles as the greatest portrayal of your ignorance on the subject. By the time I am through with your busybody stu_pidity, you will learn not to mess with delirious individuals either on nl or anywhere else.

agba'ya..!

God has not given up on you, stop the suicide mission.
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by WinsomeX: 9:29pm On Dec 26, 2014
Image123:
God has not given up on you, stop the suicide mission.

Has God given up on you? Are you the one sent to kill me?? Or you think you can mesmerise me in the same manner your friend mbaemeka tried and failed? You guys are just wimps. You loose the ability to defend or sustain an argument and then you resort to mystical jargon. I know my position with God, you may save your advice for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by Image123(m): 9:51pm On Dec 26, 2014
WinsomeX:

Has God given up on you? Are you the one sent to kill me?? Or you think you can mesmerise me in the same manner your friend mbaemeka tried and failed? You guys are just wimps. You loose the ability to defend or sustain an argument and then you resort to mystical jargon. I know my position with God, you may save your advice for yourself.
You are staying close to the dictionary, good for you i suppose. i wish you sanity.
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by Image123(m): 9:54pm On Dec 26, 2014
I'm informed to pity your wellbeing, I'll now leave you to play with your belt, phone and whatever else you fancy. ciao.
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by adejo007(m): 3:16pm On Jul 02, 2018
See how they just side tracked from the main subject. cry
Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by OnPointMan(m): 4:39pm On Aug 21, 2019
@ joagbaje, kindly come and give the biblical backing to your statement. It's long over due.

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Are You Meant To Eat Your Tithe? (Scriptural discussion) by ibechris(m): 6:37pm On Aug 21, 2019
xgel:
Tithe belongs to Go, don't eat what doesn't belong to you.

Tithes belongs to God says who?...my dear brethren, read ur Bible very well and stop deceiving yourselves. It is only God in heaven that will forgive us our trespasses and forgive some of our pastors for preaching people to sin.

Consequently,when I look at Nigerian Christians,I am left to conclude that we are forcing ourselves to become Christians.
Why did I say so?Japan is to the world what Nigerian Christians would easily conclude to be a sinful country and an unbelieving country ,yet they are one of the richest and most prosperous people on the surface of the earth.
Even with our so called Tithe we are still where we are all because of huge lies being dished out by our so called men of God. We back bite,stab one another,kill for money,pastors raping members and members lusting after married women and many more that I may not be able to mention here above.
If u see the flamboyance of our pastors,then u will know that these men are something else,some even move on convoys and u name it.

We all need to retrace our steps. Yes, look at China,why are they so prosperous,even Israel,why are they so prosperous? They don't profess these religion like us yet we are the most dishonest people in the world, I mean,the most fantastically corrupt people on the face of the earth.
Sorry moderator,I may have digressed but that is just the way I feel about this modern day Christians in our country.
Let us ponder about this matter and may God help us as we change our ways.

(1) (Reply)

Quote Your Favourite Scriptural Verse Here / Lets Talk About Wedding/engagement Rings / How Do You Feel After Speaking In Tongue?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.