Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,468 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? (13022 Views)

Some Of The Difference Between God & Allah / #plstellooni: the GOD Of The Yorubas -(Olodumare) Is Not The Same god, The Jews / God,Allah Do We All Serve Same God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Amujale(m): 3:53pm On Mar 18, 2011
Are Olodumare and "God/Allah" the same entity/concept/word?
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 11:50pm On Mar 18, 2011
allah can be any god, even dollar or euro or naira as long thats your object of worship or desire over all things.

Allah however is a noun, the true Name of the One God Who is the Creator of all things. Allah had power over all things. so Olodumare, if that is what you call the Creator in this case, then yes, Allah is Olodumare. He is the Sustainer, Unique, existing alone before anything else long before the beginning. He has no parents or children. He never dies, never tired, never wary, never sleeps. He is capable all the time, while all depends on Him, He depends on no one,needing no assistance, full of Power and Might. Aware of all, Full of Knowledge.

He is not limited or bound by time. He is Alone in all Majesty. He is the Owner of the Throne Supreme. He is the Lord, Master and Judge of the Day of Judgment. He is unlike anything you could imagine.

His knowledge is not blemished that He will not know that a tree does not fruit out of season, obeying the law of God. When He wills a thing He but say to it 'Be' so [what He will] [it] 'Be' as willed. God does not need to eat. or do things that we human, creations do. God obeys no one or prays, etc to anyone.

1 Like

Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Amujale(m): 4:55am On Mar 20, 2011
Olodumare is Allah in various ways that makes more sense expressed in this form however if you attempt to interchange, then it hardly makes sense not to mention of having to qualify in it essence. Allah is OlodumareĀ in many ways yet if you attempt to interchange, then. it hardly makes sense not to mention of having to qualify in it essence.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 5:35am On Mar 20, 2011
Olodumare is just like Al Jabbar.

Oluwa is just like Rabb.

Olorun is just like Al Malik

you can go on and on.

Yet Allah is meant by each of them, while that is His Proper Name.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by maclatunji: 1:06pm On Mar 21, 2011
I wanted to create a thread like this before, but let me refine the poster's question and ask: Who is GOD?
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 8:59pm On Mar 22, 2011
The Creator, Who has no beginning and Who has no end.

He was before time, before beginning.

Every thing is creature to Him Who created all of them.

He initials and brings everything to being.

He is 1, without family, partner, etc. Unique.

He created you before you were created.

He made you testify to His Lordship, being the Only One to worship.

He sent prophetic entity of your kind to you with guidance to give you the blue print of how to succeed in the quest of His worship.

If you succeed He will show His Mercy and Appreciation by making you inherit paradise.

If you fail, the punishment in hell is the just justice. But while alive, one can repent and start on the path of success. The Gos is always ready to forgive those those with sincere repentance.

The singular purpose of the creation of man is to worship the Creator, alone. Submitting your will to His Will [Command].

1 Like

Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by maclatunji: 1:32pm On Mar 23, 2011
Sweetnecta:

The Creator, Who has no beginning and Who has no end.

He was before time, before beginning.

Every thing is creature to Him Who created all of them.

He initials and brings everything to being.

He is 1, without family, partner, etc. Unique.

He created you before you were created.

He made you testify to His Lordship, being the Only One to worship.

He sent prophetic entity of your kind to you with guidance to give you the blue print of how to succeed in the quest of His worship.

If you succeed He will show His Mercy and Appreciation by making you inherit paradise.

If you fail, the punishment in hell is the just justice. But while alive, one can repent and start on the path of success. The Gos is always ready to forgive those those with sincere repentance.

The singular purpose of the creation of man is to worship the Creator, alone. Submitting your will to His Will [Command].

All you have written is very nice. However, is there anywhere that God speaks for himself about who he is, not what sweetnecta has got to say about him or any other person for that matter.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 10:36pm On Mar 23, 2011
^^^^^ many places in the Quran.

the most famous is chapter 112.

another is chapter The Merciful.

another is chapter The Sovereign.

many verses from Chapter Hashr.

Verse 255 of chapter 2.

there are still many more, including the first 4 verses of chapter 1 [surah fatiha]

read the Quran for your own benefit.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by maclatunji: 9:52am On Mar 24, 2011
If you do not mind, would you quote Chapter 112 of the Qur'an here for me to see.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Amujale(m): 5:39pm On Mar 26, 2011
Olodumare is God in various ways that makes more sense expressed in this form however if you attempt to interchange, then it hardly makes sense not to mention of having to qualify in it essence. God is Olodumare in many ways yet if you attempt to interchange, then. it hardly makes sense not to mention of having to qualify in it essence.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 7:09pm On Mar 26, 2011
@Maclatunji; Chapter 112 of the Quran is below;

In The Name of Allah The Compassionate, The Merciful

1]. Say: He, Allah, is One.

2]. Allah is He on Whom all depend.

3]. He begets not, nor is He begotten.

4]. And there is none comparable unto Him
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by thehomer: 8:33pm On Mar 26, 2011
Sweetnecta:

allah can be any god, even dollar or euro or naira as long thats your object of worship or desire over all things.

Allah however is a noun, the true Name of the One God Who is the Creator of all things. Allah had power over all things. so Olodumare, if that is what you call the Creator in this case, then yes, Allah is Olodumare. He is the Sustainer, Unique, existing alone before anything else long before the beginning. He has no parents or children. He never dies, never tired, never wary, never sleeps. He is capable all the time, while all depends on Him, He depends on no one,needing no assistance, full of Power and Might. Aware of all, Full of Knowledge.

He is not limited or bound by time. He is Alone in all Majesty. He is the Owner of the Throne Supreme. He is the Lord, Master and Judge of the Day of Judgment. He is unlike anything you could imagine.

His knowledge is not blemished that He will not know that a tree does not fruit out of season, obeying the law of God. When He wills a thing He but say to it 'Be' so [what He will] [it] 'Be' as willed. God does not need to eat. or do things that we human, creations do. God obeys no one or prays, etc to anyone.

Then who are the following Jehovah, Yahweh, Elohim and El?
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by maclatunji: 12:15pm On Mar 27, 2011
Sweetnecta:

@Maclatunji; Chapter 112 of the Quran is below;

In The Name of Allah The Compassionate, The Merciful

1]. Say: He, Allah, is One.

2]. Allah is He on Whom all depend.

3]. He begets not, nor is He begotten.

4]. And there is none comparable unto Him

Okay, so from this we are being told that God is unique, everything and everybody else depends on him, he does not have children and does not have parents and is absolutely unique. That is fair enough for me, thank you sweetnecta.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 12:40pm On Mar 27, 2011
@TheHomer;
Jehovah is not a semitic word. But it also means God, just Olodumare means God.

Yahweh means God just like Oluwa or Rahman means God.

Elohim means God just like Olorun or Rahim means God.

El, if you say it is a full word for God, then it means God just like Eleda or Qalik means God.

Allah says call Him be His Names, which are the Most Beautiful Names.

Every language has Names for God. Call Him those Names in your mother tongue. There is no problem.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by thehomer: 1:56pm On Mar 27, 2011
Sweetnecta:

@TheHomer;
Jehovah is not a semitic word. But it also means God, just Olodumare means God.

Yahweh means God just like Oluwa or Rahman means God.

Sorry but I disagree. Yahweh is the personal name for the Abrahamic God according to Judaism just as the name of the president of Nigeria is Mr. Jonathan Goodluck.
Jehovah is also his personal name though this form came about later and was probably due to a mistranslation.

Sweetnecta:

Elohim means God just like Olorun or Rahim means God.

Elohim refers to Gods. It would refer to Abraham's God, Baal of Canaan, Zeus of the Greeks etc. It only came to mean one God due to the trend towards monotheism.

Sweetnecta:

El, if you say it is a full word for God, then it means God just like Eleda or Qalik means God.

El would be a sort of elder God in a pantheon of other Gods.

Sweetnecta:

Allah says call Him be His Names, which are the Most Beautiful Names.

Every language has Names for God. Call Him those Names in your mother tongue. There is no problem.

This approach is an example of syncretism of this God into other cultures. Some of these cultures were polytheistic so if you grant that their elder God was also called Allah or whatever, you are also granting that this elder God/Allah had lesser Gods that were also important in these cultures. What should these other cultures do about their notion of greater and lesser Gods?
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Amujale(m): 4:26am On Mar 28, 2011
thehomer:

This approach is an example of syncretism of this God into other cultures. Some of these cultures were polytheistic so if you grant that their elder God was also called Allah or whatever, you are also granting that this elder God/Allah had lesser Gods that were also important in these cultures. What should these other cultures do about their notion of greater and lesser Gods?

I think the point that you are alluding to is the misintepretation of the term "lesser gods" in terms of its general use. In my opinion, this notion that their exist undergods and or lesser gods is one that is born out of the Greek mythology and has little or NO credibility outside of its maiden usage. Divinities, deities, heroes e.t.c Yes; lesser gods, i DO NOT think so.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 5:01am On Mar 28, 2011
@TheHomer; Show me a verse in the OT where the Jews are told that their religion is Judaism.

Show me in later Book [NT] where the Jews along with Jesus they are told that their religion is now Christianity.

When you can show me, maybe i will begin to see it your way.

However i can show you in the Quran that God says Islam is the religion of mankind.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by thehomer: 7:17pm On Mar 28, 2011
Amujale:

I think the point that you are alluding to is the misintepretation of the term "lesser gods" in terms of its general use. In my opinion, this notion that their exist undergods and or lesser gods is one that is born out of the Greek mythology and has little or NO credibility outside of its maiden usage. Divinities, deities, heroes e.t.c Yes; lesser gods, i DO NOT think so.

Huh? The concept of lesser Gods was not limited to Greek mythology. This concept was also present in various polytheistic religions. I don't see the misinterpretation you're claiming.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by thehomer: 7:22pm On Mar 28, 2011
Sweetnecta:

@TheHomer; Show me a verse in the OT where the Jews are told that their religion is Judaism.

Show me in later Book [NT] where the Jews along with Jesus they are told that their religion is now Christianity.

When you can show me, maybe i will begin to see it your way.

However i can show you in the Quran that God says Islam is the religion of mankind.

I don't see how the naming of the religions in their religious books is relevant to the discussion at hand.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 11:35pm On Mar 28, 2011
^^^^ What is relevant in truth is truth telling. Or that is not relevant, anymore?

What is relevant to you? You now have the floor.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by thehomer: 7:08am On Mar 29, 2011
Sweetnecta:

^^^^ What is relevant in truth is truth telling. Or that is not relevant, anymore?

What is relevant to you? You now have the floor.

I'm asking if the questions are relevant to the topic at hand i.e "Are Olodumare and God/Allah the same Entity/Concept/Word?" Whether or not your questions are answered with a yes or no, how does that address the topic?
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 9:30pm On Mar 29, 2011
it is relevant.

when you know that Islam is the true religion to God, then you will that Allah is in yoruba the Olodumare, and in english God.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by thehomer: 8:59pm On Mar 30, 2011
Sweetnecta:

it is relevant.

when you know that Islam is the true religion to God, then you will that Allah is in yoruba the Olodumare, and in english God.

Please demonstrate how your question is relevant.
Since I don't know that Islam is the true religion of God, how do I know the other things you mentioned?
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 9:40pm On Mar 30, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ you, a scholar of the highest eminence of NL religion section should have simply looked at the title of the thread and you would have seen Allah written as what Olodumare may stand for in yoruba language.

the op even included Deity, God etc.

The Quran says the religion to Allah [in the Sight of Allah] is Islam.

warns further that whosoever choose to come to God on the Day of Judgment with other way but Islam, it will be rejected from such a person.

i can give many more example including the Quran declaring that all prophets sent by God [jesus was a prophet [as]] were muslims, bowing to Allah.

as you know jesus bowed his face. it will be nonsensical to argue that he was bowing to himself.

we also know that he said jesus who You sent God has fulfilled all that You sent him to do.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by thehomer: 10:05pm On Mar 30, 2011
Sweetnecta:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ you, a scholar of the highest eminence of NL religion section should have simply looked at the title of the thread and you would have seen Allah written as what Olodumare may stand for in yoruba language.

the op even included Deity, God etc.

The Quran says the religion to Allah [in the Sight of Allah] is Islam.

warns further that whosoever choose to come to God on the Day of Judgment with other way but Islam, it will be rejected from such a person.

i can give many more example including the Quran declaring that all prophets sent by God [jesus was a prophet [as]] were muslims, bowing to Allah.

as you know jesus bowed his face. it will be nonsensical to argue that he was bowing to himself.

we also know that he said jesus who You sent God has fulfilled all that You sent him to do.

I have read the topic of this thread. Let me try to make what I mean clearer.
Saying Allah=God=Olodumare is syncretism.
To demonstrate, did Olodumare have any messenger Gods or any lesser Gods?
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 10:19pm On Mar 30, 2011
do you know of a lesser godt that yoruba who call their God Olodumare associates with Olodumare?

do you know of a lesser god that muslim associates with Allah?

While we know that Olodumare means Oluwa, Eleda,Ilorun, it is in the same Allah means AlRahman, AlRahim, etc.

sango is no associated with Olodumare. and orisha or ogun, etc is not associated with Olodumare.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by thehomer: 6:54am On Mar 31, 2011
Sweetnecta:

do you know of a lesser godt that yoruba who call their God Olodumare associates with Olodumare?

do you know of a lesser god that muslim associates with Allah?

While we know that Olodumare means Oluwa, Eleda,Ilorun, it is in the same Allah means AlRahman, AlRahim, etc.

sango is no associated with Olodumare. and orisha or ogun, etc is not associated with Olodumare.

So, what were Esu and Ogun?
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 12:35pm On Mar 31, 2011
put them [all of them you can think of] in the place of shango, you have your answer right there.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Rossikk(m): 4:28pm On Mar 31, 2011
It shows we are making progress on this site with regard to the respect given to African traditional religion.

A few years ago this thread would have been inundated with folks dismissing Olodumare as a 'heathen demon'.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by thehomer: 7:19pm On Mar 31, 2011
Sweetnecta:

put them [all of them you can think of] in the place of shango, you have your answer right there.

Sorry but you're simply wrong. Esu and Ogun were lesser Gods under Olodumare. You may need to check up on your Yoruba mythology. Or can you explain what or who Esu, Ogun and Sango were connected to? What were they supposed to be doing?
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by Sweetnecta: 3:08am On Apr 01, 2011
A sango worshiper will appreciate you saying 'ogun' is in the same category ith his god. he does not believe in ogun the reason he worships sango.

it will be hard press for each to say there is a bigger God, while they worship the lesser one. it will simply show that they are unjust to their own conscience.

either way, onifa, aboo esu, etc each does not regard the others to be God. it is when you actually probe them that these gods are their own hand work that they say each is an intermediary.

But Olodumare is acknowledge in time of distress when their gods are useless to them.

similar to you putting christian through heavy drill, you may hear God and it is not jesus that is meant.
Re: Are Olodumare And "god/allah" The Same Entity/concept/word? by thehomer: 8:01am On Apr 01, 2011
Sweetnecta:

A sango worshiper will appreciate you saying 'ogun' is in the same category ith his god. he does not believe in ogun the reason he worships sango.

it will be hard press for each to say there is a bigger God, while they worship the lesser one. it will simply show that they are unjust to their own conscience.

either way, onifa, aboo esu, etc each does not regard the others to be God. it is when you actually probe them that these gods are their own hand work that they say each is an intermediary.

But Olodumare is acknowledge in time of distress when their gods are useless to them.

similar to you putting christian through heavy drill, you may hear God and it is not jesus that is meant.

That was why I pointed out to you that your syncretism was not complete. Their belief was to approach Olodumare via the lesser Gods. i.e This Olodumare had lesser Gods while your Allah doesn't. So, why would you claim that Olodumare and Allah are the same entity when one has lesser Gods while the other doesn't?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Did You Handle That Noisy 'church' Or 'mosque'? / Does An Atheist Have A Soul? / Who Built The Kaaba?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.