Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,292 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? (32347 Views)

What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Canada2021: 3:20pm On May 10, 2020
golddare:

If the result am seeing is from Uniben, the person is sure of lecturing job in the faculty he graduated from. The best decision is to accept the offer and build your profile unless your parents have a job for you. I hope that picture was just attached to the certificate by the owner because Uniben does not attached pictures to certificates.
They now attach pasaport

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by greggng: 3:20pm On May 10, 2020
Steve0979:
Is first class degree a ticket to getting a job in Nigeria?

I think you are very funny. The most important achievement now is staying a life. Only those who survive corona viruse will seek for job....your first class is not respected by covid19...start praying you survive it

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Gab25: 3:20pm On May 10, 2020
Na your sabificate.. Wetin you sabi
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by jaxxy(m): 3:21pm On May 10, 2020
Steve0979:

Nope. It depends on the course or field. I think

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by SmartyPants(m): 3:21pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Why are you answering him. Don't you know that jealousy make them talk that way. Even my stupid classmates would say I'm not brilliant, I'm just good at reading thats why I was the best graduating student. I was the youngest person in my class and also I did another 4years course alongside my bsc degree which I also graduated as one of the best. Some peoples brain is just too dull to understand what they are saying.
I regret ever being in my department with fools, non of them is actually more than average except one girl like that.
I wish I had the opportunity of being among good brains, and smart people. I can't even be friends with any of them since they think backward and those that are okay are full of jealousy or extremely extroverted, so I just packed well as I'm an introvert

If someone think I have empty brain after coming first, out of more than 1000students, and even being the youngest of them all, then that person must be out of his senses

But you are making a self-defeating argument here. According to you, none of them is above average, so how does being above those who are not above average make you special?

8 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by ikorodureporta: 3:21pm On May 10, 2020
80% sure... but in some cases, (d remaining 20%), you shl b able to defend yr degree...

Except you are waiting for a seven figure job

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by airminem(f): 3:22pm On May 10, 2020
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

ModestGal:

Thats one of the mistake I made in my life and still regretting it till now. First class is a waste of time and thoughts. If you are connected, not an introvert, then you have a chance, if you are not, please I beg you, while in university, concentrate on things you can do that would bring you money and make you happy in life. Just make sure you don't go below second class upper.
Nigeria is a failed country.
I wish I did this when I was in the university, I was busy making sure I was doing well in academics, I also registered for a 4years Arabic course which I finished. I wish I knew my advisors were merely myopic, I wish I had concentrated my energy on learning TECH skills.
I wish I had used my school fees to purchase Tech equipment and learn the skills, some of us fall into the category of bad advice. I regret the day I saw my result and it was full of A's in 100level first semester, that was my motivation and every body started telling me I would made a first class up and down, and telling me not to relent. I wish I had relented, but I was stupid to keep pursuing nonsense

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by observer2020(m): 3:22pm On May 10, 2020
In some universities, it is a guarantee employment opportunity, most especially if your department lacks first class graduates. But I knew a lady who made first class in the same university, but she is teaching in private secondary school. Though I complained in the school official Facebook page on behalf of the lady, they invited her for interviews and she refused to come, I later found out, that she used her toto to gain almost all the As in her result, she even dated the head of their department

6 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Gab25: 3:22pm On May 10, 2020
Make small change during this lock down period.. Read news and post on face book. At least 3000 go dey enter your pocket twice a week chat me 07037433409
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by adeshola1(m): 3:22pm On May 10, 2020
It open doors of opportunities... Because you are first considered best among some set of people.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by bluefilm: 3:22pm On May 10, 2020
It depends...
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by GboyegaD(m): 3:23pm On May 10, 2020
The pain I have is that many do not know why they aimed for the grades they did while in school. We can all shout Nigeria is a failed state, however, when we do things without purpose, we are worse than failures.

6 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by okito: 3:23pm On May 10, 2020
[quote author=Oladayo12 post=89380928][/quote]Sorry to hear about your situation. However, I urge whoever is able to make a first class to press for it. It will stand you out someday. I also recommend that in addition to academic certificates, you should try empower yourself with technical skills and possibly get certified as well. That's the professional trajectory these days. My 1 cent.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by joshepade(m): 3:24pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thats one of the mistake I made in my life and still regretting it till now. First class is a waste of time and thoughts. If you are connected, not an introvert, then you have a chance, if you are not, please I beg you, while in university, concentrate on things you can do that would bring you money and make you happy in life. Just make sure you don't go below second class upper.
I wish I did this when I was in the university, I was busy making sure I was doing well in academics, I also registered for a 4years Arabic course which I finished. I wish I knew my advisors were merely myopic, I wish I had concentrated my energy on learning TECH skills.
I wish I had used my school fees to purchase Tech equipment and learn the skills, some of us fall into the category of bad advice. I regret the day I saw my result and it was full of A's in 100level first semester, that was my motivation and every body started telling me I would made a first class up and down, and telling me not to relent. I wish I had relented, but I was stupid to keep pursuing nonsense
The future holds better things. Stop the regrets Sis.
You will still thank God you had a 1st Class. Just be patient!

2 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by deltateam: 3:24pm On May 10, 2020
Steve0979:

No, it doesn't but it opens doors for you and gives you recognition as well as increases your chances especially if you earned it.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by apexc4972: 3:24pm On May 10, 2020
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 10, 2020
Oladayo12:
I doubt, no lecturer will ditch out 1st class to any student who doesn't merit it. No student can bribe his/her way out of sch with 1st class.

Many of them are just haters.

3 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 10, 2020
Steve0979:

Private jobs, you have like 50% chance. But When it comes to federal or state job, it's WHO YOU KNOW NOT WHAT YOU KNOW. Don't let anybody deceive you, even NNPC that recently did recruitment & kept preaching merit, na lie, it was less than 20% merit.

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by chisyluvly: 3:25pm On May 10, 2020
Useless country, me way carry am de Waka about for Owerri still no way. Mtchew
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by rhames(m): 3:25pm On May 10, 2020
Steve0979:

Search for jobs in the multilateral agencies or international organizations because they appreciate first-class than our system which appreciates mediocrity and promotes nepotism. They wil better appreciate your services.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Openbusiness: 3:25pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

1st class in Arabic......... kikikikikikikiki ........... No comment grin

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Roon9(m): 3:26pm On May 10, 2020
Oladayo12:
Academically i doubt if they are better than the 1st class, although there're some 4pointers that are also sound upstairs but comparing 2.1 expecially the 3pointers and even 2.2 to 1st class it's a no no for me.

Mtschwwww abegieeeeee
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by ikorodureporta: 3:26pm On May 10, 2020
superlightning:

There isn't. There never will.

u never see people wey dey see exam questions like a week before exam??
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by otizs: 3:27pm On May 10, 2020
Openbusiness:

Yes! And scholarship for masters abroad. Don't let anyone deceive you. First Class Mathematics na hot cake. Chaiii! U go hammer if u sabi way
Please show him the way if you know any.

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 10, 2020
It does not guarantee you a job but it gets you shortlisted for many job tests.

It is left for you to pass the test and interview. If you don’t pass the tests and interviews, your first class wont help.

I had a first myself.

7 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by PhilipGallagher(m): 3:27pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thats one of the mistake I made in my life and still regretting it till now. First class is a waste of time and thoughts

You go dey alright last last... First class isn’t a waste of time. I believe you’d be fine In the end.

If you can go for a PhD abroad, that would be good. More opportunities abroad.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by larryking540: 3:28pm On May 10, 2020
Steve0979:

Let me open ur eyes to reality
If u are a first class product,while still in the University make ur lecturers your best friend ,wat did I say ,ur best friend, because they will determine if u will have job within the campus or not or within the department or not ,...

No matter ur grade ,don't be proud,even the devil doesn't like a proud man ,

And lastly don't depend on your certificate
The world has changed

4 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by apexc3590: 3:28pm On May 10, 2020
[color=#] 4227641[/color]
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thanks darling, you can't understand how sweet TECH is for me, and how it can easily bring money on days one least expected. I won't advice you to relent ma, but for me, I will always regret it. Its been long I finished both Bsc and MSC, now I know I wasted my precious life during my Bsc days.

What did you study ma?

2 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by ofiko123(m): 3:30pm On May 10, 2020
I came to read comments..
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by greenskittles: 3:30pm On May 10, 2020
Richiez:
No it doesn't, but it opens a lot of opportunities to you. Cheers!
Simple

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

FUTA Expels Six Students Who Attacked A Female Student / Female University Of Uyo Student Dies 2 Weeks After Writing Her Last Exams(pics) / Western Delta University Lecturer Rocks Students Wig In Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.