Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,922 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? (32423 Views)

What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by MhizJoyce(f): 4:35pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Yes brother, even if na LA cram LA pour,it's hard work
Einstein said "Reading without desire dulls the brain" Only idiots cram. If you're really that brilliant, go and learn forex and make ur money there. Sebi you're smart? grin

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Openbusiness: 4:36pm On May 10, 2020
otizs:

Please show him the way if you know any.
Na first class mathematics person na, let him use his brain n find d way, square root to positive circumference of the diameter to the perpendicular trapezoidal of d hexagonal grin
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Hezmatosky: 4:36pm On May 10, 2020
But honestly, we like grading in this country. That you read to pass exams, bought textbooks, have your attendance signed, do your tests, sorted those courses you didn't write well and eventually come out with first class, does not make you first class in the place of work. Employers must look beyond cert grades of applicants to employ them.

3 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by GeneralPula: 4:37pm On May 10, 2020
I hope these people are not Audio first class. People wey be first class no dey find it too difficult to get job nah..
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Quorax: 4:39pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thats one of the mistake I made in my life and still regretting it till now. First class is a waste of time and thoughts. If you are connected, not an introvert, then you have a chance, if you are not, please I beg you, while in university, concentrate on things you can do that would bring you money and make you happy in life. Just make sure you don't go below second class upper.
Nigeria is a failed country.
I wish I did this when I was in the university, I was busy making sure I was doing well in academics, I also registered for a 4years Arabic course which I finished. I wish I knew my advisors were merely myopic, I wish I had concentrated my energy on learning TECH skills.
I wish I had used my school fees to purchase Tech equipment and learn the skills, some of us fall into the category of bad advice. I regret the day I saw my result and it was full of A's in 100level first semester, that was my motivation and every body started telling me I would made a first class up and down, and telling me not to relent. I wish I had relented, but I was stupid to keep pursuing nonsense

One mumu like Olarge think grammar will save him at the end of the day in Nigeria. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by oofjm: 4:40pm On May 10, 2020
eleko1:
Waste of time. U are likely to spot dem during job interview with borrowed suit,fade trouser plus shoes wey don bend/See beta days
don't be jealous,there are also some first class student who are well productive & rich even after putting their certificate aside.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Oladayo12(m): 4:40pm On May 10, 2020
Cryomancer:
Don't be too certain Sir.

Back then in my university days in unilag, we had 2 guys that were the brain behind the class, that even the four first class students in my department look up to them for challenging assignments and they admit they aren't even close to these 2 guys when it comes to knowledge.

One of these 2 guys was on a 2:2 reason being he hustles daily in computer village to feed and also goes to sit for exams for people in schools outside lagos. even his school fees was being contributed by guys in our department because of his generosity. The second guy was on 2:1 because he fell very sick all through year 1 and he didn't even write most of year1 exam, thereby having almost 10 carry over to deal with in year 2.

I wouldn't have believe that some 2.2 can be better than some first class students if I didn't experience first hand in my department
Hope you know some of these 1st class student also pass through a whole lot, even financially?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by ChengHun(m): 4:41pm On May 10, 2020
first class only gives u edge over others
If u Don't have good rapport with ur lecturers/ hod don't expect any automatic retainment.
learn white board animation in 2 days
chat me on 0.9.0.3.1.1.0.1.2.5.6
I will send you the set up and guide u on how to use it
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Oladayo12(m): 4:41pm On May 10, 2020
TheSociopath:

I'm also a first class graduate, even with distinction at master's level and I tell ya, it's highly overrated
Very very overrated
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Mcslize: 4:42pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thats one of the mistake I made in my life and still regretting it till now. First class is a waste of time and thoughts. If you are connected, not an introvert, then you have a chance, if you are not, please I beg you, while in university, concentrate on things you can do that would bring you money and make you happy in life. Just make sure you don't go below second class upper.
I wish I did this when I was in the university, I was busy making sure I was doing well in academics, I also registered for a 4years Arabic course which I finished. I wish I knew my advisors were merely myopic, I wish I had concentrated my energy on learning TECH skills.
I wish I had used my school fees to purchase Tech equipment and learn the skills, some of us fall into the category of bad advice. I regret the day I saw my result and it was full of A's in 100level first semester, that was my motivation and every body started telling me I would made a first class up and down, and telling me not to relent. I wish I had relented, but I was stupid to keep pursuing nonsense

Hmmm, it's never too late.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Genset: 4:46pm On May 10, 2020
[quote author=Oladayo12 post=89380928][/quote]

Please what tech skill can u advise me to learn that will be beneficial to me?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Oladayo12(m): 4:48pm On May 10, 2020
oofjm:
no vex o but are you sure you graduated with first Class? you don't sound like one with what you have written...and on a nutshell which course did you study get first Class?...because to me this days some courses with first Class no even reach some other courses with third class...no be to go to university go study one useless course that is not lucrative nor self employed...
No course is useless brother, not every1 will study medicine, engineer, law or whataview. Having 1st class irrespective of the course is dope.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Genset: 4:49pm On May 10, 2020
[quote author=ModestGal post=89391510]
Thanks darling, you can't understand how sweet TECH is for me, and how it can easily bring money on days one least expected. I won't advice you to relent ma, but for me, I will always regret it. Its been long I finished both Bsc and MSC, now I know I wasted my precious life during my Bsc days.

Please ma what skill do you one should learn?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 4:49pm On May 10, 2020
It doesn't guarantee a job but it gives you an edge over others.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 10, 2020
@Cryomancer Bro you no lie o i also witnessed it. It is high time people stopped looking down on others just because of grade. That thing annoys God and makes Him elevate those they think they are better off!

3 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Brunicekid(m): 4:54pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Did you later graduate with First Class
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Antichristus: 4:55pm On May 10, 2020
You tell us. That degree certificate is 5 years old as it was issued in 2915.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by sowilli: 4:56pm On May 10, 2020
Yes. If your lecturers are able to refer you. I know first class in my class that got a job because lecturers referred him. Many of these lecturers consult for companies so they are trusted by these companies

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Investnow2017: 4:57pm On May 10, 2020
Bilabong:
Yea. In most uni's

Which University? My friends who made a first class in UNN and another in UNIBEN were boldly told, "my friend your mates that made first class 5 years ago are still pending on the list of those to be considered as graduate assistants".

Maybe in a private uni. In those good old days you got a job automatically as a first class graduate in the same University. Not now again dear.

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by otizs: 4:57pm On May 10, 2020
Openbusiness:

Na first class mathematics person na, let him use his brain n find d way, square root to positive circumference of the diameter to the perpendicular trapezoidal of d hexagonal grin
Bad guy grin grin grin
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by thundafire: 5:02pm On May 10, 2020
Steve0979:
Is first class degree a ticket to getting a job in Nigeria?
u are supposed to be given automatic employment in ur university
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 10, 2020
i wish it was o...thats why i no stress myself, i kukuma carry my 2:2 waka commot
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by thundafire: 5:05pm On May 10, 2020
superlightning:

There isn't. There never will.
they plenty I know someone,who sorted because he was dey course rep and had 1st class but we dat know him knows he didn't merit it but one can wish him bad
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Godsfavour78: 5:06pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Why are you answering him. Don't you know that jealousy make them talk that way. Even my stupid classmates would say I'm not brilliant, I'm just good at reading thats why I was the best graduating student. I was the youngest person in my class and also I did another 4years course alongside my bsc degree which I also graduated as one of the best. Some peoples brain is just too dull to understand what they are saying.
I regret ever being in my department with fools, non of them is actually more than average except one girl like that.
I wish I had the opportunity of being among good brains, and smart people. I can't even be friends with any of them since they think backward and those that are okay are full of jealousy or extremely extroverted, so I just packed well as I'm an introvert

If someone think I have empty brain after coming first, out of more than 1000students, and even being the youngest of them all, then that person must be out of his senses
come baby gal how did do you run two courses concurrently in Nigeria?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Zahrudin: 5:07pm On May 10, 2020
oyeb15:
yea but not private universities first-class. Infact, first-class get levels...
UI, OAU ,UNILAG and ILORIN first-class

State Universities First-class

Northern Universities First-class

Private Universities First-class.

First-class of private universities in Nigeria is equivalent to 2:2 or third class in university of Ibadan.

Moreover, its those 'Olodos' in the Universities that use to achieve quickly. My olodo mate in school have become Oga in FRSC when am still trying to do recruitment. Infact, he's d one serving us punishment.

Getting good job is connection and 'Ori'. My 2:1 has been self employed since 10years.
How will u get job with this your mindset
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Godsfavour78: 5:08pm On May 10, 2020
Stargurl20:

I doubt if there are first class graduates with empty heads. It's just a myth to water down others. Having a first class comes with sacrifices - not just reading alone, discipline, prayers, consistency...name them
In a nutshell, having first class isn't moi moi
Davido na first class oh. He doesn't have empty head but.....
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by austinofo(m): 5:09pm On May 10, 2020
The free truth I will tell you is landing a job in Nigeria and many other places around the world can only be easy if you are well connected. Put off your introvert life you are proud of.. I will also tell you this truth for free that as an introvert connections will be hard to find for you except you are not doing the searching alone. Become an extrovert in a positive way, attend events, meet new people and see you'd be enlightened better and job finding will become a lot easier and fun.
Cheers
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by trilobite: 5:10pm On May 10, 2020
If you have first class and still want to remain in Nigeria, them YOU ARE NOT SERIOUS!!!

Take that good degree, grab a good scholarship, and japa!!!

Nigeria is not for the intelligent.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Tolani0167(m): 5:11pm On May 10, 2020
See lamentations if ill advised woman. Please don’t give up, I was like you too until I found and build my passion.
ModestGal:

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Exmilitant(m): 5:12pm On May 10, 2020
Churchill6767:

Which school Mikel Obi go?
How much Mikel Obi get?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Ouchbabe(f): 5:14pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Hahahahahahah I laugh in Swahili. Everybody with their own wahala. First class dey cry third class dey cry
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Gerrard59(m): 5:15pm On May 10, 2020
OJURONGBE1:

Different story for different folks .
In as much as you're sure of your class of degree and competence, you'll pull through.
Here's a story of my roommate in university. He was from the poorest of the poor but didn't let that deter him while studying Chemistry .There were times i wished i have his brain even though we were not course mates but his brilliance, study habits and meticulousness rub off me, i wouldn't lie . He would go on to graduate with a (4.41CGPA ) in chemistry.
While waiting for NYSC call up letter, he took up a teaching job at a secondary school near his hometown of ilishan-remo, Ogun state and used the meagre pay to enrol for ICAN and kept at it throughout NYSC in Sokoto.
He shared how he applied for KPMG Tax Academy 5 months after youth service and asked me to do the same but for some circumstances beyond me at that time , i could not.
He went through the training school , passed and was offered a job in the tax dept of KPMG as an associate . Today, he's an Asst Tax Manager of a Consulting firm in Lagos with additional CITN qualification.
He knew nobody except for the information he got at the MSSN while in sokoto.
I am not disputing the blessings of networking but there are some who do not have access to this and are doing just fine in life .

Same here. A senior in school, studied chemistry and made a first class. From a polygamous home and was running his MSc in a federal university in the south west when he was successful in the recent NNPC's graduate trainee program. Yes, things are changing but having a first class is still a good thing provided there are other high paying skills added to it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

I Will Kill Myself On Wednesday / Bishop David Oyedepo Visits Landmark University With His Wife / Ndidi & Mezuo Nwuneli First Couple To Deliver Keynote At Harvard Business School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.