Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,290 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? (32465 Views)

What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by omenigbo96(m): 9:27pm On May 10, 2020
Dammytrager:
So I see a lot of people downplaying the efforts of first class graduates. First Class graduates might not be the smartest people in the class but they are the ones who have put in a lot of work, consistency, discipline and many other traits into their academics. Which to me that attitude is more important than talent. If it was easy, everybody would graduate with First Class.

Nonetheless, with the present reality of things in Nigeria, A First Class degree is not an automatic employment visa, you would have to work hard as much as those who graduate with other degrees.
I feel the present Job market is a skill driven market and hence what makes you stand out is not your degree but your skill.

If you can apply the same level of work and consistence you put in your academics into your business or developing a high valued skill then definitely your First Class attitude will lead you to success
thanks boss ,I'm really inspired. Just a quick one according to my e-mentor getting skills that are in line with the latest trends,(big data, artificial intelligence, and this latest softwares e.t.c) also helps a lot ,moreso for we that are members professional organizations like SPE, he adviced that I should network when I have the opportunity to attend their conferences and exhibitions. And when oportuned do more certification courses ( some are free while others are paid) it may be related or not . Just like someone said "Do not rely solely on your Lecturer notes " acquire more knowledge and be smart .
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by solsticey2k3(m): 9:30pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thats one of the mistake I made in my life and still regretting it till now. First class is a waste of time and thoughts. If you are connected, not an introvert, then you have a chance, if you are not, please I beg you, while in university, concentrate on things you can do that would bring you money and make you happy in life. Just make sure you don't go below second class upper.
Nigeria is a failed country.
I wish I did this when I was in the university, I was busy making sure I was doing well in academics, I also registered for a 4years Arabic course which I finished. I wish I knew my advisors were merely myopic, I wish I had concentrated my energy on learning TECH skills.
I wish I had used my school fees to purchase Tech equipment and learn the skills, some of us fall into the category of bad advice. I regret the day I saw my result and it was full of A's in 100level first semester, that was my motivation and every body started telling me I would made a first class up and down, and telling me not to relent. I wish I had relented, but I was stupid to keep pursuing nonsense

What kind of Tech skills please? cry
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by damesilver(m): 9:31pm On May 10, 2020
Salmom:
Is forex rocket science?
Is rocket science the acme of cerebral altitude?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nicoddemus(m): 9:35pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Why are you answering him. Don't you know that jealousy make them talk that way. Even my stupid classmates would say I'm not brilliant, I'm just good at reading thats why I was the best graduating student. I was the youngest person in my class and also I did another 4years course alongside my bsc degree which I also graduated as one of the best. Some peoples brain is just too dull to understand what they are saying.
I regret ever being in my department with fools, non of them is actually more than average except one girl like that.
I wish I had the opportunity of being among good brains, and smart people. I can't even be friends with any of them since they think backward and those that are okay are full of jealousy or extremely extroverted, so I just packed well as I'm an introvert

If someone think I have empty brain after coming first, out of more than 1000students, and even being the youngest of them all, then that person must be out of his senses

Who did this thing to you shocked why are you so pained
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by ChevKing(m): 9:36pm On May 10, 2020
Yes, you will always get invitations for interview stage,but only required skills will take you in. First without any other industry skill set na waste. Except you wan lecture
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by SUGARCyprian247: 9:43pm On May 10, 2020
Jarus:

Lecturing is not one of the jobs I was referring to pls. The guys I’m talking about earn at entry level what professors earn after 25 years of lecturing.

Then or now, I wont take up lecturing job.

That said, I agree the job market was better when we entered labour market (2008 - after NYSC).

Exactly, I don't opt in for lecturing too.
That's why I'm ready to raise 1.5 -2M .. To secure a job with entry level pay of least 250k

Every corner of the nation is just hard undecided
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Jarus(m): 9:45pm On May 10, 2020
SUGARCyprian247:

Exactly, I don't opt in for lecturing too.
That's why I'm ready to raise 1.5 -2M .. To secure a job with entry level pay of least 250k

Every corner of the nation is just hard undecided

I don’t understand the raising 1.5m-2m part
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by mechanics(m): 9:53pm On May 10, 2020
In the school one graduate from, but not in all cases.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Salmom: 9:57pm On May 10, 2020
damesilver:

Is rocket science the acme of cerebral altitude?
Intellect is infinite. But you posed the statement as though learning to trade forex requires an extra ordinary amount of intellect but it doesn't
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by JuanDeDios: 10:30pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thanks darling, you can't understand how sweet TECH is for me, and how it can easily bring money on days one least expected. I won't advice you to relent ma, but for me, I will always regret it. Its been long I finished both Bsc and MSC, now I know I wasted my precious life during my Bsc days.
Please what course did you study for B.Sc.?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by kabeerhabe(m): 10:45pm On May 10, 2020
[Qquote author=ModestGal post=89379825]
Thats one of the mistake I made in my life and still regretting it till now. First class is a waste of time and thoughts. If you are connected, not an introvert, then you have a chance, if you are not, please I beg you, while in university, concentrate on things you can do that would bring you money and make you happy in life. Just make sure you don't go below second class upper.
Nigeria is a failed country.
I wish I did this when I was in the university, I was busy making sure I was doing well in academics, I also registered for a 4years Arabic course which I finished. I wish I knew my advisors were merely myopic, I wish I had concentrated my energy on learning TECH skills.
I wish I had used my school fees to purchase Tech equipment and learn the skills, some of us fall into the category of bad advice. I regret the day I saw my result and it was full of A's in 100level first semester, that was my motivation and every body started telling me I would made a first class up and down, and telling me not to relent. I wish I had relented, but I was stupid to keep pursuing nonsense[/quote]

I want to believe you can still learn the TECH. You have not done bad facing your academics. Contact me on 08093921440, on your tech career
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Churchill6767: 10:48pm On May 10, 2020
jeff1607:
if one gets a first class or something, searching for a job is just plain stupid, job creation should b the next thing unless na cramming win am

If I have a first class in philosophy, what jobs can I create..Una go just dey talk like say we dey Europe..mtcheww..

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by OJURONGBE1(m): 10:52pm On May 10, 2020
damesilver:

Dear sir, please kindly help. I had uppercredit @ HND in Quantity surveying. I proceeded after NYSC to have a degree. With God's grace, I had a first class @ Btech level in same course. No job yet, nothing nothing forth coming. I dont know you but if your heart is touched, please kindly help.

Go to DuFranc (Quantity surveyors and valuers) office at igbosere , Lagos island and submit your CV. They work hand in hand with ACCL (An architectural firm handling some of the biggest building projects in Lagos).
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by KrazyDave16(m): 11:22pm On May 10, 2020
Oladayo12:
I doubt, no lecturer will ditch out 1st class to any student who doesn't merit it. No student can bribe his/her way out of sch with 1st class.

Are you sure you schooled in Nigeria or know how the system works?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Eyinjuoluwanimi: 11:30pm On May 10, 2020
Hmm oga.. Which should someone should pursue bayi..??

Mean while join our online class starting tomorrow Monday

Join here..https://www.talkpalsforum.com/index.php?topic=63.msg86;topicseen#msg86
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by oderinde151(m): 11:31pm On May 10, 2020
OJURONGBE1:

Different story for different folks .
In as much as you're sure of your class of degree and competence, you'll pull through.
Here's a story of my roommate in university. He was from the poorest of the poor but didn't let that deter him while studying Chemistry .There were times i wished i have his brain even though we were not course mates but his brilliance, study habits and meticulousness rub off me, i wouldn't lie . He would go on to graduate with a (4.41CGPA ) in chemistry.
While waiting for NYSC call up letter, he took up a teaching job at a secondary school near his hometown of ilishan-remo, Ogun state and used the meagre pay to enrol for ICAN and kept at it throughout NYSC in Sokoto.
He shared how he applied for KPMG Tax Academy 5 months after youth service and asked me to do the same but for some circumstances beyond me at that time , i could not.
He went through the training school , passed and was offered a job in the tax dept of KPMG as an associate . Today, he's an Asst Tax Manager of a Consulting firm in Lagos with additional CITN qualification.
He knew nobody except for the information he got at the MSSN while in sokoto.
I am not disputing the blessings of networking but there are some who do not have access to this and are doing just fine in life .
Did your friend study in oou?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Abyima(m): 12:35am On May 11, 2020
Zahrudin:

Your perspective challenges your certificate.
Which kind useless oga go be afraid of you because u get first class na pure water company
You won't understand bro. I perform marvelously well during any interview. There is an oil company I went, the manager was afraid to ask me question after hearing my degree. She told the assistant to ask me but the assistant manager was scared and told the manager that she can't.

So forget it bro.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by golddare: 12:44am On May 11, 2020
Mexyz:
The person is not sure of a lecturing job Sir, at least not from the Uniben I finished from.
And yes, Uniben attach passport to your degree certificate.

That's a recent development.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by mrenoma: 1:56am On May 11, 2020
But you can get some jobs nearby at [url]smalljobsnaija.com[/url] though
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by analo: 3:22am On May 11, 2020
yes after you have invented the vaccine to covid 19
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by jeff1607(m): 4:18am On May 11, 2020
Churchill6767:

If I have a first class in philosophy, what jobs can I create..Una go just dey talk like say we dey Europe..mtcheww..

what do philosophers do best huh? philosophers already doing their stuff independently are fools right?

Incase you don't know, they run businesses right,schools, law etc they things differently from the normal human, deep thinkers, before making a move they play other moves in their head, one of the UniBen chess champion studied philosophy, even as a chess player once you Know your opponent studied philosophy or did something with it makes one shudder,their approach to problem solving is different check out the forebears in the same discipline.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by ARAGON22(m): 6:04am On May 11, 2020
Who first class eep, u beta go do business make u dey see ur money everyday than carry file upandan like flies wey dey follow sh**t... This country is gone already
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Chinwe4real(f): 6:07am On May 11, 2020
Malik1338:
when there are some first class with empty brains�

There are no first class with empty brain. They might not be street wise doesn't mean they're empty upstairs.

3 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by ModestGal(f): 7:37am On May 11, 2020
merryossai:
it seems u didn't later get the first class because u lacked the aforementioned qualities? just wondering cos am also chasing it but in my 200L second semester I was frustrated in my results, I had missing script, 4 C's( which I never had), n B's, in fact my G.P crashed from 4.75 to 4.49....So I did my research, that was when I started receiving advice from some of my friends who are lecturers that first class is awarded based on certain criteria(like the one u mentioned above), not just academic.

I will need your counsel, am in my 300L now and am lacking enthusiasm to keep pushing since I know I will likely be frustrated. Please advice a brother n a friend, I don't want to repeat your past in my future
Dear, you can keep pushing, but remember to learn good skills that matches your talent
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by ModestGal(f): 7:38am On May 11, 2020
DaaLor:

Yeahh... painful when you think about it though but the time is past already, so we move. No relenting, anything you are doing now, put in your all and keep thinking ahead, you can still go for tech sef if you like. All will be well
I'm already in Tech dear
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by ModestGal(f): 7:39am On May 11, 2020
truthsayer009:

Congratulations, you finally realised what life is all about but you realised late. You are not alone though, a lot of people walk this path.

Our parents are the main cause of this, they projected their failures into us and made us feel a First Class or education will elevate us and make us SUCCESSFUL. The problem with SUCCESS is that it is solely defined as how much you have.

Sometimes legacy you built is also defined as SUCCESS, money still tops it mostimes.
Thanks, its been long I realized that though
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by ModestGal(f): 7:51am On May 11, 2020
Fiyinfoluwa20:

Sorry about your experience but I make bold to say not all first-class graduates share your sentiments. First-class is not the end, it is a means to an end. First does not mean you are smart, just shows you are able to learn and can commit to a goal and that's what some people look out for when looking to hire.

Just having first-class does not guarantee anything, you have to earn whatever would be given to you in this world in addition to your first class which i want to believe you earned !

Plus, first class is not in that paper they gave you in School, it is an attitude, demonstrated in everything you do, how you search for Jobs, how you think about getting your dream job, how aggressive you are in pursuing the things you want, how you intend to deliver tasks given to you.

OP, a first does not guarantee a good life, you would need hard work, God, time and chance to make things happen for you as well.
Make your first if you a able to, but understand it is not the meal ticket to life's buffet, you still have to earn whatever you'd be getting in this life.

Have faith in God and keep on working, hopefully, line would fall in pleasant places.

Shalom.
If people are not smart then how can they have first class? Maybe in advanced countries it is possible to earn a first class without being smart, but with intelligence and hardwork. But here in Nigeria, you need to be smart to achieve first class because you even need to psychologically study each lecturer to be able to have a good grade in their courses. There are lecturers that need quantity before you can have an A, they need you to tell stories and collect extra sheets, their are some that wants quality and quantity, their are some that doesn't even know what they want, their are some that attendance would determine what you would have as your grade, their are some that do impromptu tests especially after a day to public holidays where its is highly possible for students not to be around.

There are lecturers that will grade you because they like you and think you are a good student, their are those that would dislike you and grade you on that, and their are those that's would give your seniors to mark scripts which means the people marking your scripts determine your grade. Except in some exceptional schools in Nigeria which can't be more than 2 that actually mark based on intelligence, others you need to be smart to be able to be consistent with As in your 4years

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by damesilver(m): 8:20am On May 11, 2020
OJURONGBE1:

Go to DuFranc (Quantity surveyors and valuers) office at igbosere , Lagos island and submit your CV. They work hand in hand with ACCL (An architectural firm handling some of the biggest building projects in Lagos).

Thanks sir. The problem common in Lagos is accommodation. And no one appears to be willing to help. It has always been an impediment.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Dammytrager(m): 8:42am On May 11, 2020
omenigbo96:
thanks boss ,I'm really inspired. Just a quick one according to my e-mentor getting skills that are in line with the latest trends,(big data, artificial intelligence, and this latest softwares e.t.c) also helps a lot ,moreso for we that are members professional organizations like SPE, he adviced that I should network when I have the opportunity to attend their conferences and exhibitions. And when oportuned do more certification courses ( some are free while others are paid) it may be related or not . Just like someone said "Do not rely solely on your Lecturer notes " acquire more knowledge and be smart .

If you’re still a student, I advise you work towards making money before you graduate either through a skill or starting a business. It’s good to network too but the most important thing is to be valuable, that people will be ready to pay you for your value.

If you expect to graduate and get a Job, you might be shocked with the reality you’ll meet.

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Casemiro(m): 8:52am On May 11, 2020
ModestGal:

Thanks darling, you can't understand how sweet TECH is for me, and how it can easily bring money on days one least expected. I won't advice you to relent ma, but for me, I will always regret it. Its been long I finished both Bsc and MSC, now I know I wasted my precious life during my Bsc days.

You know tech is broad.

what aspect of tech are you referring to please.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by ModestGal(f): 8:53am On May 11, 2020
Casemiro:

You know tech is broad.

what aspect of tech are you referring to please.
I mean i'm now a Tech lady and I love it

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Finally Jamb Have Release The Results / Students Fed With N50 Bread Divided Into 4 (Video) / 7 Ways To Remember Everything You Read In The Exam Hall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.