Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,908 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? (32422 Views)

What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by apexc2713: 4:07pm On May 10, 2020
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by betexplorer901: 4:08pm On May 10, 2020
Gab25:
Na your sabificate.. Wetin you sabi
is there such word in the dictionary.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Jarus(m): 4:09pm On May 10, 2020
All the first class in my circle are doing well, except one that chose not to be materially inclined so opted to be an alfa.

From Shell to Chevron, they are there.

One of them was struggling to raise N17k school fees in our final year in 2005/2006. He now owns at least 3 houses, one in Lekki.

Let nobody deceive you that first class is a waste. Hustle for it, but make sure you can defend it.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 10, 2020
Gabkosh:
Why would someone be jealous of first class grad. We should be happy with them and encourage them. Good you graduated best. But please, always construct your English properly. At least, you should understand Concord. I expect better constructed English as a First Class graduate. No offence.

op is on social media dude he is not writing and article or an exam and he is not delivering a speech
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by apexc1453: 4:11pm On May 10, 2020
[color=#] 4379715[/color]
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by LikeAking: 4:13pm On May 10, 2020
Jarus:
All the first class in my circle are doing well, except one that chose not to be materially inclined so opted to be an alfa.

One of them was struggling to raise N17k school fees in our final year in 2005/2006. He now owns at least 3 houses, one in Lekki.

Let nobody deceive you that first class is a waste. Hustle for it, but make sure you can defend it.
Did he build those 3 house in lekki by working?.
If yes,what kind of job?

2 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by paul100(m): 4:13pm On May 10, 2020
Stargurl20:

Lol... If cramming is easy, tell them to try it
That very true,if cramming is very easy make everybody for department dey do am na.

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by foodthought: 4:13pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thats one of the mistake I made in my life and still regretting it till now. First class is a waste of time and thoughts. If you are connected, not an introvert, then you have a chance, if you are not, please I beg you, while in university, concentrate on things you can do that would bring you money and make you happy in life. Just make sure you don't go below second class upper.
Nigeria is a failed country.
I wish I did this when I was in the university, I was busy making sure I was doing well in academics, I also registered for a 4years Arabic course which I finished. I wish I knew my advisors were merely myopic, I wish I had concentrated my energy on learning TECH skills.
I wish I had used my school fees to purchase Tech equipment and learn the skills, some of us fall into the category of bad advice. I regret the day I saw my result and it was full of A's in 100level first semester, that was my motivation and every body started telling me I would made a first class up and down, and telling me not to relent. I wish I had relented, but I was stupid to keep pursuing nonsense

Whats your course
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 4:14pm On May 10, 2020
Jarus:

okare jare
these are people that come online to talk Sense....

if they can't get they shouldn't discourage others....

5 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by sammieguze(m): 4:14pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thanks darling, you can't understand how sweet TECH is for me, and how it can easily bring money on days one least expected. I won't advice you to relent ma, but for me, I will always regret it. Its been long I finished both Bsc and MSC, now I know I wasted my precious life during my Bsc days.

Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing the courses you studied(you said you ran 2 diff courses) and your state if residence?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Rexmy(m): 4:16pm On May 10, 2020
Steve0979:
Is first class degree a ticket to getting a job in Nigeria?
Yes, it is!
However, it depends on the steps you take afterwards.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:17pm On May 10, 2020
Jarus:

I think a lot of things just got worse in Nigeria at least when compared to when you graduated. A first class is still good as it allows you to get a scholarship to do your masters abroad easily.

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by golddare: 4:17pm On May 10, 2020
Canada2021:
They now attach pasaport

Ok, thanks.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Asour: 4:18pm On May 10, 2020
imustmakeit:
Is the regret so much that you can't learn the things you desire now?

I am not answering for her but I think I get the perspective.

Bill gates once said (to paraphrase) that ...Most people overestimate what they can achieve in a year BUT underestimate what they can achieve in 10 years.

It's not effective to regret but if you really understand what bill said above you then begin to appreciate the mastery level you'll be in if you had taken the decision to begin learning a particular field/subject — in a focused manner— 8/10 years ago.

Paul Randal (one of the world's top authorities in SQL) once said that expertise typically requires reading 100 pages of a subject daily. (hard right ?). true.

But even though you stuck to 20-25 pages a day. For the past 8-10 yrs. You probably would be amongst the World's top 1% in your field (barring other limitations).
That's why most of the world (myself included) consists of mediocres.

3 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Jarus(m): 4:18pm On May 10, 2020
LikeAking:

Did he build those 3 house in lekki by working?.
If yes,what kind of job?

Yes. Although I did not say all the 3 are in Lekki.

IOC.

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Staphylococcus: 4:18pm On May 10, 2020
With regards to Nigeria, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class is all gibberish.

Just know people. Network to your best knowledge. You can be a zoologist and be calling shots for Engineers.

Certificate is just an entrance paper.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by paul100(m): 4:20pm On May 10, 2020
In Nigeria,not really,but Abroad you must have a job.I can't imagine a first class student in USA in maybe Engineering sitting at home or selling on the road.It is not possible.

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by oofjm: 4:21pm On May 10, 2020
[quote author=Oladayo12 post=89380928][/quote]no vex o but are you sure you graduated with first Class? you don't sound like one with what you have written...and on a nutshell which course did you study get first Class?...because to me this days some courses with first Class no even reach some other courses with third class...no be to go to university go study one useless course that is not lucrative nor self employed...
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Seankhalifa: 4:23pm On May 10, 2020
Bleep Xhul... Go and make money..
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by GeneralPula: 4:23pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Why are you answering him. Don't you know that jealousy make them talk that way. Even my stupid classmates would say I'm not brilliant, I'm just good at reading thats why I was the best graduating student. I was the youngest person in my class and also I did another 4years course alongside my bsc degree which I also graduated as one of the best. Some peoples brain is just too dull to understand what they are saying.
I regret ever being in my department with fools, non of them is actually more than average except one girl like that.
I wish I had the opportunity of being among good brains, and smart people. I can't even be friends with any of them since they think backward and those that are okay are full of jealousy or extremely extroverted, so I just packed well as I'm an introvert

If someone think I have empty brain after coming first, out of more than 1000students, and even being the youngest of them all, then that person must be out of his senses

Wait, you were the BGS of your set and your school didn’t retain you?

On your Convo, no company approached you?

It’s sound strange.. Which school did you Grad from?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Asour: 4:26pm On May 10, 2020
oyeb15:
yea but not private universities first-class. Infact, first-class get levels...
UI, OAU ,UNILAG and ILORIN first-class

State Universities First-class

Northern Universities First-class

Private Universities First-class.

First-class of private universities in Nigeria is equivalent to 2:2 or third class in university of Ibadan.

Moreover, its those 'Olodos' in the Universities that use to achieve quickly. My olodo mate in school have become Oga in FRSC when am still trying to do recruitment. Infact, he's d one serving us punishment.

Getting good job is connection and 'Ori'. My 2:1 has been self employed since 10years.

Hahahaha.

What about Havard/MIT first class (or the equivalent)? Are they better than the UI/OAU guys too?

To be fair, you are generally correct. Those guys are averagely better performing. However, here's where you're probably wrong. After school, the individual detaches from the collective. UI/OAU does not get/keep a job for you. you become literally on your own. At this point individual motivation becomes the driving force.

in fact OAU/UI may become more of a burden to you than a blessing — in a competitive environment since you are "supposed to have all the answers"— if others are seen to be better performing than you are.

Self motivation (people who are self starters) in life trump all others. Over the long run.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by OlawaleBammie: 4:27pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thats one of the mistake I made in my life and still regretting it till now. First class is a waste of time and thoughts. If you are connected, not an introvert, then you have a chance, if you are not, please I beg you, while in university, concentrate on things you can do that would bring you money and make you happy in life. Just make sure you don't go below second class upper.
I wish I did this when I was in the university, I was busy making sure I was doing well in academics, I also registered for a 4years Arabic course which I finished. I wish I knew my advisors were merely myopic, I wish I had concentrated my energy on learning TECH skills.
I wish I had used my school fees to purchase Tech equipment and learn the skills, some of us fall into the category of bad advice. I regret the day I saw my result and it was full of A's in 100level first semester, that was my motivation and every body started telling me I would made a first class up and down, and telling me not to relent. I wish I had relented, but I was stupid to keep pursuing nonsense

Guy calm down...

i only understand ur input word to word but what brings out the submission is what i cant comprehend...

Am like ..koyemi o.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Petersamuel8(m): 4:27pm On May 10, 2020
Wow, just reading comments
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Hezmatosky: 4:29pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Why are you answering him. Don't you know that jealousy make them talk that way. Even my stupid classmates would say I'm not brilliant, I'm just good at reading thats why I was the best graduating student. I was the youngest person in my class and also I did another 4years course alongside my bsc degree which I also graduated as one of the best. Some peoples brain is just too dull to understand what they are saying.
I regret ever being in my department with fools, non of them is actually more than average except one girl like that.
I wish I had the opportunity of being among good brains, and smart people. I can't even be friends with any of them since they think backward and those that are okay are full of jealousy or extremely extroverted, so I just packed well as I'm an introvert

If someone think I have empty brain after coming first, out of more than 1000students, and even being the youngest of them all, then that person must be out of his senses
That is because you went to Benue state university naw. Come to good schools, I bet you will never make 2.2
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Fidelismaria: 4:30pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thanks darling, you can't understand how sweet TECH is for me, and how it can easily bring money on days one least expected. I won't advice you to relent ma, but for me, I will always regret it. Its been long I finished both Bsc and MSC, now I know I wasted my precious life during my Bsc days.

Hello

Which tech area are you specializing in?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Gab25: 4:31pm On May 10, 2020
betexplorer901:
is there such word in the dictionary.
lol. We can create it
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by TheCOOLEST(m): 4:32pm On May 10, 2020
It does not guarantee you a job, it only gives you edge over other candidates who are not 1st class
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Oladayo12(m): 4:33pm On May 10, 2020
ThreeBlackBird:

Many of them are just haters.
Lol, let them continue
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by MhizJoyce(f): 4:34pm On May 10, 2020
Stargurl20:

I doubt if there are first class graduates with empty heads. It's just a myth to water down others. Having a first class comes with sacrifices - not just reading alone, discipline, prayers, consistency...name them
In a nutshell, having first class isn't moi moi
Rubbish. Having a first class degree is tantamount to having a degree in cramming. All you do is cram. Get a skill.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Sorry about your experience but I make bold to say not all first-class graduates share your sentiments. First-class is not the end, it is a means to an end. First does not mean you are smart, just shows you are able to learn and can commit to a goal and that's what some people look out for when looking to hire.

Just having first-class does not guarantee anything, you have to earn whatever would be given to you in this world in addition to your first class which i want to believe you earned !

Plus, first class is not in that paper they gave you in School, it is an attitude, demonstrated in everything you do, how you search for Jobs, how you think about getting your dream job, how aggressive you are in pursuing the things you want, how you intend to deliver tasks given to you.

OP, a first does not guarantee a good life, you would need hard work, God, time and chance to make things happen for you as well.
Make your first if you a able to, but understand it is not the meal ticket to life's buffet, you still have to earn whatever you'd be getting in this life.

Have faith in God and keep on working, hopefully, line would fall in pleasant places.

Shalom.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Oladayo12(m): 4:35pm On May 10, 2020
ikorodureporta:

d same way dey make 2-1, they can also make first class...but in most cases, a brilliant second class can hit a first class if there's any form of runs - sorting, or receiving questions before exam
Yap you're right but very rare
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Jeremih1: 4:35pm On May 10, 2020
superlightning:

There isn't. There never will.
Very true

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

I Will Kill Myself On Wednesday / Bishop David Oyedepo Visits Landmark University With His Wife / Ndidi & Mezuo Nwuneli First Couple To Deliver Keynote At Harvard Business School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.