Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,130 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? (32432 Views)

What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by DriggityDre: 3:44pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:
I wish I did this when I was in the university, I was busy making sure I was doing well in academics, I also registered for a 4years Arabic course which I finished.
What exactly did you major in? Arabic?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Churchill6767: 3:45pm On May 10, 2020
Exmilitant:
how can you say you wasted your life doing BSC? Is your mind running on one track? MONEY. Why not reflect on the experiences and knowledge you may have acquired? My friend, the fact that persons without a university degree made money doesn't ruled out the relevance of a university education! Talk more of passing out with a first class.... Money is locked up and education is the key to open it.

Which school Mikel Obi go?

4 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Prudency045: 3:45pm On May 10, 2020
The importance of good grades cannot be over emphasized. Having a first class degree is something to be proud of. However, don't let it get into your head.

During school days, first class students even have their clique and don't relate with classmates who are on 2.2 or 3rd class. Some of them were so full of themselves thinking their First degree equate to good jobs after graduation.

They realised that first class doesn't equate to good jobs during our IT semester. Only a few of them got good IT placement. While the students they looked down on got good IT placements. Some in the oil & gas, others in multinational FMCG.

Upon resumption for the final year, the first class students started relating with everybody. I guess they were exposed to the reality of life.

Even after graduation, the first class students struggled to get good jobs. Las las na Masters and PhD routes abroad be their best option.

Before you start saying I am beefing First Class graduate, I graduated with a 2.1( 4.35/5.00). At least I was among the best 15 students in a class of 120 students.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 10, 2020
Oladayo12:
Academically i doubt if they are better than the 1st class, although there're some 4pointers that are also sound upstairs but comparing 2.1 expecially the 3pointers and even 2.2 to 1st class it's a no no for me.

It is pride that will kill you. Wanted to type be your downfall, but you're already down. Dont humble yourself, be carrying first class like agege bread. Even to the extent of differentiating 3 pointers and 4 pointers.

I had a friend who had first class in maths. His first job paid him 50k of which he spent 20k as transport.

Nigga took it and kept hustling for graduate trainee jobs. He eventually got one in the big 4 auditing companies. From there he applied for scholarship for masters outside the country. He got it and was even given a lecturing assistant job.

After completion of masters, he interned in the same big 4 company as they have offices all over the world.

He didn't say because he was once a bona fide worker that internship is beneath him. He took that position. Fast forward today, he has a permanent position in the same company. So continue with your pride you hear.

7 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Juenwume: 3:46pm On May 10, 2020
But why is nobody talking about creating job yourself rather than looking for job? Please think of owning a company and not working for one. That's is the difference between poor and rich mindset. Start something no matter how small and focus on its growth.

2 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Ghosted419: 3:48pm On May 10, 2020
Don’t be swayed by those get a skill crew!! There’s no substitute for graduating on top of the class, is exceptional. Especially being a first class product.
Acquiring a skill is good, but being a first class graduate Unveils one to unimaginable opportunities which are unavailable to other class of degree.
P.s Attentions are particularly given to those who pose in-depth knowledge in their field of studies

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Tajbol4splend(m): 3:48pm On May 10, 2020
Malik1338:
when there are some first class with empty brains�

Hmmm my brother you just talk everything finish and truly what's the point of first class that can't add value to businesses, las las it's what you can do that matters most

2 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by cray91(m): 3:50pm On May 10, 2020
bitter truth no one would probably tell you! nothing guarantees job bro! it's All by God's grace!

Before pandemic sef job no sure not to talk of now that there is pandemic, alot of companies retrenching staffs due to down turn of pandemic

back to your degree. 1st, 2nd or 3rd class no guarantee any job anywhere, school and the degrees are all scam! i regret nothing else in my life besides me wasting my years in universities if i had known what i now know would have left this country since i finished secondary school.

Our Decision makers(leaders) are just fooling us into believing we can't make it without the degree which is the standard they have set for the nation
Steve0979:
Is first class degree a ticket to getting a job in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by PrinceGoku(m): 3:50pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thats one of the mistake I made in my life and still regretting it till now. First class is a waste of time and thoughts. If you are connected, not an introvert, then you have a chance, if you are not, please I beg you, while in university, concentrate on things you can do that would bring you money and make you happy in life. Just make sure you don't go below second class upper.
Nigeria is a failed country.
I wish I did this when I was in the university, I was busy making sure I was doing well in academics, I also registered for a 4years Arabic course which I finished. I wish I knew my advisors were merely myopic, I wish I had concentrated my energy on learning TECH skills.
I wish I had used my school fees to purchase Tech equipment and learn the skills, some of us fall into the category of bad advice. I regret the day I saw my result and it was full of A's in 100level first semester, that was my motivation and every body started telling me I would made a first class up and down, and telling me not to relent. I wish I had relented, but I was stupid to keep pursuing nonsense

Just because you had First Class and never got a job doesn't translate others won't a job theirs. You can't study a professional course with First class and expect not to get an automatic employment. Be conscious of you say in a public forum.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Nobody: 3:50pm On May 10, 2020
Afromentalist:
yes it guarantees you to be the first choice to be a first class slave to a boss who does not even have that your diploma.

it's when ur Brain is so dull that you will be thinking like this!
not a sin to be dull but you don't have to come and start spewing nonsense here!

it seems you failed woefully in the university or probably u're failing presently don't discourage others ...

#dullards................

reply I'll be waiting
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by otizs: 3:51pm On May 10, 2020
joshepade:

The future holds better things. Stop the regrets Sis.
You will still thank God you had a 1st Class. Just be patient!
You can say anything to console her but she is not stupid, for her to have said she REGRETTED, she know what she is saying.
Rarely you see Igbo people regret, do you know why? They are enterprise, they don't look for jobs, they creates. So they are better than most graduate with their level of education. University will not teach you how to make money even the entrepreneurship teaches in University is bullshit we all know that. Gone are those days when 1st class is a ticket to a good job but not anymore even in those developed countries. Don't you know of China before now? And you know where they are now? How did they do it and make it that fast to the top? RESEARCH & TECHNOLOGY! They are not about grades from Universities. Not with the way our school are arranged here where you do lots of courses, no concentration. Now compare us, during our project, I was the one wrote a program for the guy who came out first in my department ( computer science ) now I'm cashing out big on coding stuffs. He is till here looking for jobs while I'm not looking for any ( but I will take federal job only if any but not looking) bcuz what I'm making is big, stress free, I'm the boss and I'm gonna continue balling and forever from this coding skill. Advice! Don't go to University with the aim of coming out with 1st class with no skill, that don't work anymore. I will employ a degree holder with third class with SKILL before one with BSc & MSc certificate combine with no SKILL.
My advice to her is to start to learn one skill in tech or two. A year experience is ok to help with her out combine with her 1st class certificate.

4 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by optimus106(m): 3:52pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Why are you answering him. Don't you know that jealousy make them talk that way. Even my stupid classmates would say I'm not brilliant, I'm just good at reading thats why I was the best graduating student. I was the youngest person in my class and also I did another 4years course alongside my bsc degree which I also graduated as one of the best. Some peoples brain is just too dull to understand what they are saying.
I regret ever being in my department with fools, non of them is actually more than average except one girl like that.
I wish I had the opportunity of being among good brains, and smart people. I can't even be friends with any of them since they think backward and those that are okay are full of jealousy or extremely extroverted, so I just packed well as I'm an introvert

If someone think I have empty brain after coming first, out of more than 1000students, and even being the youngest of them all, then that person must be out of his senses

1000 students? As in you graduated with 1000 students?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by pennywys(m): 3:52pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thats one of the mistake I made in my life and still regretting it till now. First class is a waste of time and thoughts. If you are connected, not an introvert, then you have a chance, if you are not, please I beg you, while in university, concentrate on things you can do that would bring you money and make you happy in life. Just make sure you don't go below second class upper.
I wish I did this when I was in the university, I was busy making sure I was doing well in academics, I also registered for a 4years Arabic course which I finished. I wish I knew my advisors were merely myopic, I wish I had concentrated my energy on learning TECH skills.
I wish I had used my school fees to purchase Tech equipment and learn the skills, some of us fall into the category of bad advice. I regret the day I saw my result and it was full of A's in 100level first semester, that was my motivation and every body started telling me I would made a first class up and down, and telling me not to relent. I wish I had relented, but I was stupid to keep pursuing nonsense
babe you mean you got first class in your academic without employment?
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by NDSMELODY(m): 3:53pm On May 10, 2020
observer2020:
In some universities, it is a guarantee employment opportunity, most especially if your department lacks first class graduates. But I knew a lady who made first class in the same university, but she is teaching in private secondary school. Though I complained in the school official Facebook page on behalf of the lady, they invited her for interviews and she refused to come, I later found out, that she used her toto to gain almost all the As in her result, she even dated the head of their department
this is what i wrote in my previous comment but some said it is not possible
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by OJURONGBE1(m): 3:53pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Different story for different folks .
In as much as you're sure of your class of degree and competence, you'll pull through.
Here's a story of my roommate in university. He was from the poorest of the poor but didn't let that deter him while studying Chemistry .There were times i wished i have his brain even though we were not course mates but his brilliance, study habits and meticulousness rub off me, i wouldn't lie . He would go on to graduate with a (4.41CGPA ) in chemistry.
While waiting for NYSC call up letter, he took up a teaching job at a secondary school near his hometown of ilishan-remo, Ogun state and used the meagre pay to enrol for ICAN and kept at it throughout NYSC in Sokoto.
He shared how he applied for KPMG Tax Academy 5 months after youth service and asked me to do the same but for some circumstances beyond me at that time , i could not.
He went through the training school , passed and was offered a job in the tax dept of KPMG as an associate . Today, he's an Asst Tax Manager of a Consulting firm in Lagos with additional CITN qualification.
He knew nobody except for the information he got at the MSSN while in sokoto.
I am not disputing the blessings of networking but there are some who do not have access to this and are doing just fine in life .

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Jayrockk: 3:54pm On May 10, 2020
Steve0979:
Is first class degree a ticket to getting a job in Nigeria?
Not really, but here is my advice. With 1st class u can apply and get a fully funded scholarship abroad for a masters program (either in Europe,America, Australia etc). A fully funded scholarship will take care of your tuition fees, accommodation, feeding, and most will give you monthly stipend or allowance. Once u are done with your masters program u can still proceed for a PhD there or apply for a job. You getting a job depends on the country sha, u can easily get a well paid job in countries like Canada, Germany, US, Dubai etc. Just go online, there are tons of scholarships out there. Note this Sha, bfr u get scholarships in most foreign countries u have to write GRE or TOEFL. Good luck

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by lograr(m): 3:54pm On May 10, 2020
SirMichael1:
Lol and you write like a school dropout. There's no writing pattern for first class. Stop ass-gulping.

You said there is no writing pattern for first class. Then you said i write like a drop out.
Can't you see how stupid you are

5 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Asour: 3:56pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Doing well academically and tapping into proficiencies in IT skills doesn't have to be an either or situation. Both can still be achieved. Choosing may be a wrong notion.

With proper time management and an effective project based learning. IT skills are very much learnable in school. The problems are.

Time management &
Learning approaches.

Many students have done extremely well in school while learning these stuff. Others have had to drop out on schooling considering it a waste of time. But I think we don't always have to choose one.

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by hustla(m): 3:57pm On May 10, 2020
NDSMELODY:
it depend on how they have gotten their first class,to be frank some 2.1s and 2.2s are better than 1st

Lmao dey fool yourself
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by NDSMELODY(m): 3:59pm On May 10, 2020
NobleSeed:
baba them dey ooh....some can't defend their so called first class degree ooh
tell them
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by apexc3096: 3:59pm On May 10, 2020
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by jolyment: 4:00pm On May 10, 2020
NDSMELODY:
it depend on how they have gotten their first class,to be frank some 2.1s and 2.2s are better than 1st

Okay
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Stargurl20(f): 4:01pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Thanks darling, you can't understand how sweet TECH is for me, and how it can easily bring money on days one least expected. I won't advice you to relent ma, but for me, I will always regret it. Its been long I finished both Bsc and MSC, now I know I wasted my precious life during my Bsc days.
Hm.... May Allah ease our affairs and Grant our heart desires.

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Gabkosh: 4:01pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Why are you answering him. Don't you know that jealousy make them talk that way. Even my stupid classmates would say I'm not brilliant, I'm just good at reading thats why I was the best graduating student. I was the youngest person in my class and also I did another 4years course alongside my bsc degree which I also graduated as one of the best. Some peoples brain is just too dull to understand what they are saying.
I regret ever being in my department with fools, non of them is actually more than average except one girl like that.
I wish I had the opportunity of being among good brains, and smart people. I can't even be friends with any of them since they think backward and those that are okay are full of jealousy or extremely extroverted, so I just packed well as I'm an introvert

If someone think I have empty brain after coming first, out of more than 1000students, and even being the youngest of them all, then that person must be out of his senses
Why would someone be jealous of first class grad. We should be happy with them and encourage them. Good you graduated best. But please, always construct your English properly. At least, you should understand Concord. I expect better constructed English as a First Class graduate. No offence.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Help4rmme2u(m): 4:01pm On May 10, 2020
Back then struggling to make first class, but ended up as the best in my department (Industrial Chemistry) Uniabuja. Still no decent job. Teaching in one glorified secondary school with a pay that cannot meet my needs.

What they won't tell you is how to make money while schooling.

Started my own firm in foodstuff supplies as a side hustle. God dey sha.
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Judolisco(m): 4:02pm On May 10, 2020
Stargurl20:

I doubt if there are first class graduates with empty heads. It's just a myth to water down others. Having a first class comes with sacrifices - not just reading alone, discipline, prayers, consistency...name them
In a nutshell, having first class isn't moi moi
to come out wit 2.1 sef na sacrifice
Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Fairview1: 4:02pm On May 10, 2020
Depends on your vision and vocation inclination. If you ever wish to tow the path of lecturing job or professorship, then batching first class is a good way to start. How ever, on the line of this first class certificate, I think it also exposes you to international scholarship opportunities which if harnessed well could also be an avenue to strike great business opportunities.

But if you want to tow the path of entrepreneurship or the skilled labour market, my dear forget first class results and focus on consuming enough information that would prepare you on the field you're about to trail.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Sherlock5577: 4:03pm On May 10, 2020
ModestGal:

Unfortunately, I disagree with you@Modestgal. @steve0979 Please, get a first class if you can, but definitely not at the detriment of building relationships and learning other skills that would help you. A First class may not guarantee you a job (where merit isn't considered), but opens you to many other opportunities not only within Nigeria. Nigeria may be a truly failed state, but that doesn't stop you from exploring opportunities from other countries.
You have to keep hustling in this life especially when you have a great result like that. I got a First Class in undergrad and I can tell you it has blessed me with so many opportunities (scholarships, Jobs, etc) and life lessons (like keep working hard and hustle pays). I am still reaping these benefits four years after grin . First Class was not easy, but you made it. That's the same way life is hard, but you need to keep pushing. Better to have a gun you don't need, than have none when it's needed the most!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Jarus(m): 4:03pm On May 10, 2020
Churchill6767:

Which school Mikel Obi go?

How many footballers on the street will become Mikel Obi?

Compare to how many high performers in school will turn out to lead a comfortable life after school.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Stargurl20(f): 4:03pm On May 10, 2020
Oladayo12:
Exactly, some of them will even say that they don't want 1st class, they are ok with 2.1
Lol... Which ever they want, their beeswax. Not mine.
All I know is ... Even if one desires just the cloud, aim and work the stars cool

1 Like

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by LikeAking: 4:04pm On May 10, 2020
God will help you.

2 Likes

Re: Does First Class Degree Guarantee One A Job? by Abyima(m): 4:05pm On May 10, 2020
That was then and not now in Nigeria. Not only first class students this days but 2:1 find it difficult to get a job in Nigeria. Even Lecturing job in Universities for students with first class is man no man.

Back then, If one graduates with first class, on the day you convoke, u get automatic employment. Different companies, e.t.c will be there just to give you a job. But not now.

I am a first class student who graduated in 2018. When i was looking for a job, it was difficult for different company to take me. Any company i entered, after hearing my degree, they will be afraid to ask me a question. Some will say they will get back to me. I waited and no way. But there were some company that were happy and told me to give them my certificate.

Managers who has 2:1 will be afraid to employ a first class student. They don't want first class student to outsmart them.

So, it is good for first class student not to get carried away with their degree. They should not depend on their degree. They should learn skills so as to benefit from it. First class are meant to create jobs for people. But many of them lack this knowledge but get blindfolded with their degree.

For me, I have thrown my certificate one corner. I am happy i got the first class, cause i worked for it. My next step now, is to employ people. Who knows, my certificate will be useful tomorrow.

First class is not a disease. We are teachers, we are boss. kiss

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Bishop David Oyedepo Visits Landmark University With His Wife / Trapped In Girls' Hostel / Unilag Release 2010/2011merit List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.