Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,562 members, 7,837,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

No More Mobile Police For Banks - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No More Mobile Police For Banks (8383 Views)

INEC Agent, Dan Joko, Arrested By Police For Collecting Money To Rig Election / Boko Haram Militants Overrun Prestigious Mobile Police Training College In Gwoza / Boko-haram Attacks Mobile-Police Base In Damaturu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 14, 2011
Me say it is time to set up my own security company. . .

cheesy cheesy

Got a blueprint already
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by Eziachi: 8:52pm On Jan 14, 2011
The problem with Nigerian rulers is whenever they think of something, even when nicely intended, often; it is the execution that buries the whole intended concept. In a civilized world, this kind of sudden change would had been put in public domain for a good long debate, but characteristics of Nigerian ruler, you just woke up and bang! A new rule! Without prior warning or explanation to those they pretend to serve or the real reason.
In my opinion, police presence in Nigeria banks can hardly be called a deterrent to bank thieves because it has never stopped the robbers in the past and often they are actually working hand in hand with the robbers, often informing them when cash is being moved around by the bank and who came to make a big deposit (Remember D.P.O George Iyamu in the 80s)
On the other hand banks are a private business and if they are to be protected by privilege of a public funded security force, they should have to pay for it. But when you considered the fact that the police sent 17 thousand police officers to protect just 5000 PDP delegates, when robbers are having a field day among the masses, it makes you think about the sanity of the Nigerian rulers.
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by castrokins(m): 8:54pm On Jan 14, 2011
There're private security firms with competent personnel and required arms to take care of banks security, so what's new?

@JudgeDredd

There private security firms as you have said, and several others will spring up at this instance. But their motivations must be right if they must do a good job. Otherwise, I fear it may just be a matter of changing uniforms and nothing more.
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by Eziachi: 9:03pm On Jan 14, 2011
frosbel:

The problem we have in Nigeria is that we do not have bold decision makers.

People who are ready to take risk for the common good.

The police are hungry , lets face facts and therefore will do anything to alleviate that hunger especially those with children.( Now I am not supporting their behaviour ).

If the government was really interested in the security of the nation, they would have overhauled the police force, retrained most, sacked the thieves among them and re-equipped them with proper weapons.

Nigeria,  why are the simplest things so difficult for your to achieve 

Good point.
In the United Kingdom, the starting salary for ordinary police constable is 28 thousand pound sterling annually, minus others pecks. I know its a different country with a different economy, but how can you put the life of a Nigerian police man on the line just for his monthly equivalent of less than 50 pounds a month and expect magic from him?
Why not match police salary with that of the national assembly and let see what happens and the calibre of people they will attract into their force?
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by lastpage: 12:11am On Jan 15, 2011
@Eziachi,
Your post was "thought provoking" really!
Why should anyone put his life on the line for $75 when a "Sin-nator" who sleeps through house sessions (whenever they manage to show-up!) and have no single bill passed for a whole year grin , goes home with a salary that even an American President can only dream-of? Even with the Naira-to-dollar exchange rate!
Me thinks thats like suicide (though one should do the job "properly", once you accept to do it, level of remnumeration not withstanding)

@Redman44
In a normal situation, Mobile Policemen should not be guarding banks in the country. So I kind of support the decision of the Inspector General of Police. This is the time for Ex Servicemen to get up and create Private Security Firms that will keep our banks safe. Some processes in Nigeria have to be stopped and withdrawing Mobile Policemen from the Banks is one of them. The banks on the other hand have to pay the Nigeria Police Force if they want regular policemen to act as guards for their premises. A lot of things have to change in Nigeria especially our mindset. Cheers.
The highlighted part refers.
Why do we still think "Ex-Service men" are required to set-up a "Private Security Outfit"?
In my own opinion, l think that is one of our basic mistakes: We equate "Security" with "armed force"

Please be reminded that "Private Security" all over the developed countries has NOTHING to do with being an Ex-Service person since Private security dont actually shoot people/armed robbers, they will only alert the Armed tactical Team/SWAT who are members of the Police/Military.

Security itself is more of "Intelligence borne out of adequate training" (which people study for and acquire degrees/competence-in).
Though, being an ex-service man may give you some "background" knowledge in some of the courses that a private security person has to go through as (depending on your field of competence in the armed service, e.g, an NDA trained military officer who specializes in intelligence or surveillance) you might have done the same course somewhere along the line.

The greatest problem Ex-Service men have when they go into Private Security (and the same reason most advance countries dissuade them going-in) is that they still want to retain their "armed mentality" whereas "Private Security" is about civilians and is not based on "armed action" in any way!. Ex-Service men would rather "shoot their way" through a stand-off, while a Private Security operative would rather "talk-down" the assailant using intelligence gathered earlier!

Anyway, how many Ex-Service men or MOPOL can program a CCTV system to "patrol, do remote monitoring" or do all those things it is supposed to do? I bet we can count on our fingers grin

Infact, the "Private Security Organisation Act in Nigeria" as presently constituted reminds one of the "1999 Constitution" as mid-wived by the military, it's just not "fit-for-purpose".
Or how else would you for example, explain a situation where a well trained (to degree level) and U.K licensed Private Security personnel who has been running Security Outfit in the U.K for some years goes back home and is told he cannot setup a Private Security Outfit, simply because he is not an "Ex-Service Man"? grin
Its in their "mentality", no wonder you see "Armed Policemen" guarding rich people and Chinese contractor! Something you dont see in enlightened countries!
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by unuane1(m): 6:12am On Jan 15, 2011
Go ask mr IGP.
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by ekubear1: 6:14am On Jan 15, 2011
Are private security men in Nigeria allowed to carry guns?

If so, then no big deal.

If not, then really sucks for the banks, doesn't it?
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by olaolabiy: 6:16am On Jan 15, 2011
^^^Look at this Eku that ran away from our thread. grin
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by ekubear1: 6:22am On Jan 15, 2011
^-- You got knocked out already, dude. Or maybe a better analogy is the Black Knight from Monty Python:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRUe-gz690
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by olaolabiy: 6:29am On Jan 15, 2011
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by ekubear1: 6:35am On Jan 15, 2011
^-- My homie @kalokalo has taken up the baton grin
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by ifyalways(f): 12:00pm On Jan 15, 2011
eku_bear:

Are private security men in Nigeria allowed to carry guns?

No reply yet undecided
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by powerblaze(m): 2:53pm On Jan 15, 2011
cheesy grin I guess soon we'll start to see bouncers at the bank!
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by mrperfect(m): 3:11pm On Jan 15, 2011
What is the reason(s) for the withdrawing police in the Banks?
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by bidemi12(m): 9:38pm On Jan 15, 2011
Eziachi:

Good point.
In the United Kingdom, the starting salary for ordinary police constable is 28 thousand pound sterling annually, minus others pecks. I know its a different country with a different economy, but how can you put the life of a Nigerian police man on the line just for his monthly equivalent of less than 50 pounds a month and expect magic from him?
Why not match police salary with that of the national assembly and let see what happens and the calibre of people they will attract into their force?

The highlighted, my fellow NL's is the crux of the matter. I wont go as far as saying pay the police same as our lawmakers but increase their benefits and train them properly and you will see a difference. if you pay someone peanuts to risk his/her life for you then expect monkey/baboon services.
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by master2(m): 10:17am On Jan 16, 2011
ejikeND:

why do so many nigerians think that police are a useless group of poeple?remove them and put BOKOHARAM.
u be police, ?
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by Nobody: 10:32am On Jan 16, 2011
Banks shouldn't panic they should simply switch to civil defense undecided undecided

Civil defense will even provide them a better security than police lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by lastpage: 6:01pm On Jan 16, 2011
@Redman44.
Thanks bro, you hit the nail on the head!
"Everything" works as a "System".
If any or some-part of the "system" is missing, the "system" suffers a breakdown.
In our current scenario, we have more than "a few" parts of the "Security System" not available, not functioning or out-rightly missing!
You sure cant do any meaningful "Security" on Generators!
You cant do remote monitoring with the kind of epileptic and sub-standard "Broadband" we have in Nigeria!
You cant do any meaningful surveillance or perimeter protection when light would go and come-up at will.
You cant do private security (as it is supposed to be, without arms!) when the Police are still complaining that their vehicle does not have Tyre or fuel grin

We can go on an on.
Unless govt provides the "basic infrastructure", the private sector which is supposed to be the engine of growth with simply continue to struggle.

Unfortunately, those with political power and decision making, have no-clue! sad shocked
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by ekubear1: 6:04pm On Jan 16, 2011
So if private security is not allowed to cast guns, effectively the banks will be n.a.ked.
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by lekanbar(m): 3:26pm On Jan 17, 2011
Just wondering if there is any difference after all, is not like really armed robbers don't have their way, while the police run for cover
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by TeadroTec: 2:06pm On Jan 27, 2011
Teadro Info Tech, best known I.T school in Port Harcourt for its cutting-edge training where more of I.T practicals are emphasized in:
ORACLE, CISCO, MCITP, COMPTIA A+ and N+, MOS , IC3 and much more IS AT IT AGAIN! ! !,

Offering 100 percent scholarship to meritorious students. ABSOLUTELY FREE[/size][size=8pt]
NO gimmick, no registration fee, its totally free!!!
Teadro scholarship scheme is an annual scholarship program to empower the youths through ICT training and also to create opportunities for job placement.

Additional benefits include participants been enlisted on our consultant Database for job placement with any of the following: Telecom, Banks, ISPs, Oil and Gas and so on,

Remember, scholarship is based on merit, so come along with your writing materials for a 45 minutes test at Teadro InfoTech centre, 76 stadium road Port Harcourt or call 08036086061.
This is a rare opportunity where you can get yourself certified and grounded in I.T field at just no cost. Take advantage of this grand opportunity NOW!!!

Venue: 76 Stadium Road Port Harcourt
Date: 12th February 2011
Time: 9:00 am prompt!
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by mrtjchrist(m): 2:21am On Jan 28, 2011
, I as a person will subscribe to this motion, the police men most of the times are just receiving wages because they have been found wanting in severe robbery cases, v heard of policemen found hiding with people at shops during the onslaught of armed robbers instead of combating them, i think this idea is good,
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by adepiero: 5:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
Finally, Yahoo boys can heave a sigh of relief. no more snitching at the counter niyen.
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by GANDALF1(m): 6:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
adepiero: Finally, Yahoo boys can heave a sigh of relief. no more snitching at the counter niyen.

Your state of mind needs urgent check. How can you resurrect an old thread and still comment like its recent?

Kolo
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by adepiero: 6:45pm On Sep 11, 2014
GANDALF1:

Your state of mind needs urgent check. How can you resurrect an old thread and still comment like its recent?

Kolo
I guess ur brain box has been tampered with if not didn't you see it on new post tread? you try to make yourself relevant yet you sound stup!d
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by GetUmad: 8:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
adepiero: I guess ur brain box has been tampered with if not didn't you see it on new post tread? you try to make yourself relevant yet you sound stup!d
Bro get some sleep. When you're finally awake, you can pm Seun to send u nairaland manual for dummies . I also got one not quite long.
Its free pls don't let anyone scam you.
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by adepiero: 8:06pm On Sep 11, 2014
GetUmad:
Bro get some sleep. When you're finally awake, you can pm Seun to send u nairaland manual for dummies . I also got one not quite long.
Its free pls don't let anyone scam you.
no wonder you got a manual for dummies. shows you are dumb.
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by GetUmad: 8:20pm On Sep 11, 2014
adepiero: no wonder you got a manual for dummies. shows you are dumb.
Didn't say i wasn't. Thats why it wasn't difficult for me to identify you.
Re: No More Mobile Police For Banks by Freest(m): 8:24pm On Sep 11, 2014
turboman:

SHARAAAAAAAPPP FOOL ! You should also say "there is no need for people to panic because hospitals or no hospitals sickness & diseases will still kill people"
You must be a policeman grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See What Nnamdi Kanu Was Doing In Court In The Eyes Of The World... / Meet The Small Boy Senator Stella Oduah Is Begging To Locate (photos) / Ondo Primary: PDP Begins Accreditation Of Delegates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.