Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,486 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

How Did Kwara State Become Northern State - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did Kwara State Become Northern State (7984 Views)

Resolution Of The Northern State Governors Forum Meeting / Where Did Kwara Deputy Speaker, Adetiba Get Money To Build Duplex In One Year? / Answer - How Did Kwara State Become Northern State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by olagbola45(m): 5:34pm On May 14, 2020
tamdun:

Gambari is a fulani name, belgore is also a fulani now tell me what right do u have to tell them where to belong and remember we also have Bukola and gbemi, sholagberu family, alaya family, what language do they speak? Even their titles are Yoruba title (balogun)

Are yoi from ilorin?
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 5:36pm On May 14, 2020
Rauf Aregbesola, despite being a Muslim, he's a true omoluabi Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 5:45pm On May 14, 2020
tamdun:

So compare ilorin yoruba to akoko Edo yoruba, which one is more understandable? Show me any fulani in ilorin today without a yoruba name, lastly majority of ilorin are muslim so they dressed like one

Laugh won kee me at the bolded grin
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by EsomahJD: 5:58pm On May 14, 2020
orisa37:

ABUJA IS A YORUBA WORD. IT'S CENTRALLY LOCATED BY THE DESIGNERS OF THE PLACE, WHO WERE ONDO STATE MEN(LATE JUSTICE AKINOLA AGUDA AND PROF. OMOLADE ADEJUYIGBE).

PLACE A COMPASS AT ABUJA, IT WILL SHOW YOU EAST, WEST SOUTH AND NORTH AND NOT A CONTRAPTION OF MIYETTI ALLAH HANDIWORK.

GOD HIMSELF DESIGNED NIGERIA USING LORD LUGARD AND HIS IMPOSED RIVERS NIGER AND BENUE. ANYONE WHO CROSSES THOSE RIVERS IS A MIGRANT TO AND FRO DIFFERENT POSITIONS.

SO THE S.W. IS FROM KEBBI STATE TO ABUJA SOUTH AND STRAIGHT DOWN THROUGH LOKOJA TO BAYELSA STATE.

So Yorubas are claiming Abuja also? shocked
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by orisa37: 5:31am On May 15, 2020
EsomahJD:

So Yorubas are claiming Abuja also? shocked

NO. DIVIDE ABUJA INTO FOUR EQUAL PARTS. THE S.W. BELONGS TO ODUDUWA LAND.

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by orisa37: 5:54am On May 15, 2020
Muna4real:

Clap for your self.

PA PA PAPA PA. MOST OF OUR HEROES PAST HAVE DONE MORE THAN BUHARI CAN JUST WISH AWAY. HISTORY WILL BLOW THEM OUT MAYBE AFTER BUHARI. IT'S BEYOND THE CABAL MAFIA.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by myobjective: 7:11am On May 15, 2020
orisa37:

ABUJA IS ONE WORD IN YORUBA MEANING SHORT CUTS.

He is right. Abuja is the name of the king of Suleja when Abuja was carved out of Suleja. Though the real name of the King was Abubakar and he came from Zaria, reasons why Suleja emirate is "Zauzau " till date.

Abuja is a gbagwi land and situation in the centre of Nigeria called north central today

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by myobjective: 7:14am On May 15, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Though we can't throw away the baby with the bathing water as the case of Kwara. i.e Ilorin is a lost cause not the whole Kwara. Most of them are regilion extremists like the Hausa fulanis.

Many are not. You haven't been to Ilorin obviously. How can religious extremist co-exist with both Christians and traditionalist in their midst? All past Kwara state governor has Christians wife, including the incumbent. Ilorin is not so different from any Yoruba town with a Muslim majority. Ilorin act and behave like every other Yoruba that practices Islam.

3 Likes

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by myobjective: 7:20am On May 15, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Ilorin people are Fulani by extension. Their way of life is akin, ditto their style of dressing. You can't remove Fulanis from the people of Ilorin especially those that are based in the capital city.

The Fulani stock in Ilorin is very small and limited to the ruling Family and some influential people. A great majority of Ilorin people are of Oyo Yoruba descent (about 90%) while the minority has a substantial Fulani, Hausa, Kanuri and Nupe ancestry (like 10%), these groups are now undifferentiable from the average Yoruba.

The dress code has northern influence majorly due to being politically in the north and being majorly a Mulsim town. An average Ilorin man speaks Yoruba (Oyo dialect) better than, eastern Yorubas like Ondo, Ekiti, Ijebu etc). A trip to Ilorin will throw more lights on my explanation.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by myobjective: 7:26am On May 15, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Ilorin people act and behave like the fulanis but same can't be said of other Yoruba people of Kwara. Not all kwarans are Yorubas but the majority are Yorubas.

Ilorin people with Fulani or core northern ancestry despite being phenotypical Yoruba may assert their periphery Fulani/northern identity to get favour politically but when such individuals find himself among Yoruba from the Southwest, also assert their Yoruba identity to get a favour.

There is a huge Ilorin community in Lagos and other southwestern states. They all behave and act like Yoruba. In fact, my mother is Ilorin Yoruba and I see myself as a pure Yoruba.

If you also go back to history you will see that even a substantial percentage of Yoruba in the south have huge ancestry pool from neighbouring ethnic group like Egbira, Nupe(Tapa), Edo and even Hausa/Fulani but this doesn't make them less Yoruba.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by orisa37: 8:00am On May 15, 2020
myobjective:

He is right. Abuja is the name of the king of Suleja when Abuja was carved out of Suleja. Though the real name of the King was Abubakar and he came from Zaria, reasons why Suleja emirate is "Zauzau " till date.

Abuja is a gbagwi land and situation in the centre of Nigeria called north central today

HE IS WRONG. ABUJA MEANS SHORT CUTS. I KNOW SO.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by kehinde1588(m): 8:57am On May 15, 2020
orisa37:

HE IS WRONG. ABUJA MEANS SHORT CUTS. I KNOW SO.

Oga stop saying rubbish. You have been saying rubbish since. I don't know where you got your own information that Abuja is coined from Yoruba words.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by orisa37: 9:55am On May 15, 2020
kehinde1588:

Oga stop saying rubbish. You have been saying rubbish since. I don't know where you got your own information that Abuja is coined from Yoruba words.

So it hurts to speak one's Language?
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by kehinde1588(m): 10:02am On May 15, 2020
orisa37:

So it hurts to speak one's Language?

No no.

Give me a reliable source where you read your own history that Abuja was coined from Yoruba words. At least it must be written down somewhere how the name Abuja was derived.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 10:22am On May 15, 2020
Northern Nigeria was carved out by the British over 100 years ago and administered as such
Modern Kwara always was part of the Northern Region before 1914 amalgamation and until independence and then in 1967 when states were created it remained part of the "north"
Gowon created 6 states out of Northern Nigeria one of which was West Central State with Ilorin as capital,that was renamed Kwara . As more states were created Kwara has progressively reduced in size.

The Northern region had joint assets just like the other regions e.g In the Western region it was Odua Investment. Those assets and other ties mean that Kwara is better placed as a Northern province.

Ilorin particularly is a Muslim enclave and for that reason cannot sit comfortably in any other place.

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Igboid: 10:45am On May 15, 2020
Because Nigeria is a failed geographical entity.

Benue should have been in the South South with Cross River, Kogi East should have been in SE with Anambra and Enugu, Kwara and Kogi west should have been in SW.

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Karlifate: 10:46am On May 15, 2020
kehinde1588:

A typical ilorin man reading this will be laughing at your ignorance. Just because their kingship title is Emir doesn't make them Fulani. Though they embrace some Fulani culture, but they ain't Fulani in all ramifications
The Sarakis migrated a long time ago from Ogun to Kwara. Research very well. Saraki's lineage does not belong to Kwara.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Igboid: 10:47am On May 15, 2020
omonnakoda:

Northern Nigeria was carved out by the British over 100 years ago and administered as such
Modern Kwara always was part of the Northern Region before 1914 amalgamation and until independence and then in 1967 when states were created it remained part of the "north"
Gowon created 6 states out of Northern Nigeria one of which was West Central State with Ilorin as capital,that was renamed Kwara . As more states were created Kwara has progressively reduced in size.

The Northern region had joint assets just like the other regions e.g In the Western region it was Odua Investment. Those assets and other ties mean that Kwara is better placed as a Northern province.

Ilorin particularly is a Muslim enclave and for that reason cannot sit comfortably in any other place.

Many Osun towns are Muslim enclaves yet sit comfortably in SW.
Your excuse is not strong. What joint investments does Kwara have with the North that they can't get compensated for?

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Igboid: 10:49am On May 15, 2020
Karlifate:

The Sarakis migrated a long time ago from Ogun to Kwara. Research very well. Saraki's lineage does not belong to Kwara.

Sarakis migrated from Mali. They are Fulanis with long term traditions of marrying Yoruba women, hence their apparent Yorubanized nature, its a camouflage.

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:52am On May 15, 2020
Arrewa:
you're not Fulani...

Mind you... We don't need any region

We don't even care if they exist... Geographical location made us Northerners...

Kwara is a Yoruba state...
Yoruba man keep deceiving yourself on nairaland grin grin

4 Likes

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 10:56am On May 15, 2020
Igboid:

Many Osun towns are Muslim enclaves yet sit comfortably in SW.
Your excuse is not strong. What joint investments does Kwara have with the North that they can't get compensated for?
Name the emir of a town in Osun state . That is what I meant by "enclave"

Kwara and Ilorin are not the same thing.

The people of Ilorin are quite comfortable in the North and will stay there. They belong there.

I am not aware that I was giving an " excuse" for anything. I merely stated historical facts

Who is compensating whom and WHY?
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Karlifate: 10:57am On May 15, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Ilorin people are Fulani by extension. Their way of life are akin, ditto their style of dressing. You can't remove fulanism from the people of Ilorin especially those that are based in the capital city.
You're right. Alhaji Lai Mohammed is from Kwara, just look at his lifestyle. Kwara is a conquered Yorubaland & the Geo-political zone did justice to that.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Igboid: 11:08am On May 15, 2020
omonnakoda:

Name the emir of a town in Osun state . That is what I meant by "enclave"

Kwara and Ilorin are not the same thing.

The people of Ilorin are quite comfortable in the North and will stay there. They belong there.

I am not aware that I was giving an " excuse" for anything. I merely stated historical facts

Who is compensating whom and WHY?

I heard they have Balogun of Ilorin too for the Yoruba of Ilorin. If Nigeria is a true democratic state,and not a failed entity, the Yoruba majority in Ilorin can sign a petition for the Kwara state government to carry out a referendum to determine which geopolitical zone the people of Yoruba speaking part of Kwara want to belong.
If this happens, the vote of the Yorubas would nullify those of Gambaris and Kwara would be ceded to SW, irrespective of what the Emir of Ilorin and his Gambari follower think.

Once in SW, the Yoruba majority in Kwara would slowly strip the Emir of his powers and magnify those of the Balogun. Case closed.

But we all know Nigeria is not a democratic country, but rather a failed British colonial experiment, so few could determine the fate of many.

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by latexxbro(m): 11:15am On May 15, 2020
mystery22:
To Mr Fulani's are somewhat smart,they already control Ilorin with an emir,next is Lagos state,other region are busying fighting themselves,while they are busying conquering and ruling the country,they know Nigeria will not last,so before it scatters,this state will belong to them ,and with an emir in power,the land becomes a Fulani territory,but let it stops on Yoruba and middle belt territory....
I'm a yoruba man, Kwara state precisely, and it pains me to see that North has already taken over Kwara state and our people are blind to see it yet

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by BabaRamota1980: 11:28am On May 15, 2020
agulion:
Pls can anybody help and educate and school me into the above topic. Because they way the names of people from that state sound used to comfuse me.

Successive govts controlled by Northerners needed budget and political advantage from land size. Adding Kwara and Benue to North nailed their goal. You will notice the leaders in North continue to use NORTH to identify political unity. They never say NW, NE, NC, but NORTH! Their opposition to restructuring is rooted to this issue. They will no longer have political advantage if MiddleBelt is recognized as a political identity.

3 Likes

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 12:29pm On May 15, 2020
Igboid:

I heard they have Balogun of Ilorin too for the Yoruba of Ilorin. If Nigeria is a true democratic state,and not a failed entity, the Yoruba majority in Ilorin can sign a petition for the Kwara state government to carry out a referendum to determine which geopolitical zone the people of Yoruba speaking part of Kwara want to belong.
If this happens, the vote of the Yorubas would nullify those of Gambaris and Kwara would be ceded to SW, irrespective of what the Emir of Ilorin and his Gambari follower think.

Once in SW, the Yoruba majority in Kwara would slowly strip the Emir of his powers and magnify those of the Balogun. Case closed.

But we all know Nigeria is not a democratic country, but rather a failed British colonial experiment, so few could determine the fate of many.
what makes you think the Yoruba in the SW are desirous of that scenario.
Whether or not they strip Emir or not is irrelevant. At any rate traditional rulers are not democratic institutions
Ilorin should remain in Northern Nigeria.

If indeed they identify themselves as Yoruba what is wrong in having a Yoruba foothold in Northern Nigeria .
Rather than return to the West they should expand further in the North
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 12:45pm On May 15, 2020
myobjective:

Many are not. You haven't been to Ilorin obviously. How can religious extremist co-exist with both Christians and traditionalist in their midst? All past Kwara state governor has Christians wife, including the incumbent. Ilorin is not so different from any Yoruba town with a Muslim majority. Ilorin act and behave like every other Yoruba that practices Islam.

The bolded above is not true. There are many Yorubas in Southwest that practice Islam and don't act like the people of Ilorin especially. e.g the mode of dressing, Islamic first and surname et all.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by livitexguy(m): 12:49pm On May 15, 2020
They are northern state because they where conquered by Usman Danfodio's Jihad .
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 1:08pm On May 15, 2020
livitexguy:
They are northern state because they where conquered by Usman Danfodio's Jihad .
Usman Dan Fodio jihad had nothing to do with Ilorin AT ALL.
Ilorin has been an Islamic space long before the jihads and home to a lot of freed slaves of Northern origin who were used as mercenaries by Oyo.
So even though it was a Yoruba speaking space many of them have slave origins from diverse places and cannot be expected to be automatically loyal to Oyo

In those places where the jihadis took place it was not an occupation.

All those who carried out the uprising against the local kings were LOCALS whose fathers and grandparents were locals.

There was no army marching from place to place occupying territory.
At any rate Kwara state is not the same as Ilorin
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by EsomahJD: 1:10pm On May 15, 2020
orisa37:

NO. DIVIDE ABUJA INTO FOUR EQUAL PARTS. THE S.W. BELONGS TO ODUDUWA LAND.

Una no dey shame?
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 1:11pm On May 15, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

Successive govts controlled by Northerners needed budget and political advantage from land size. Adding Kwara and Benue to North nailed their goal. You will notice the leaders in North continue to use NORTH to identify political unity. They never say NW, NE, NC, but NORTH! Their opposition to restructuring is rooted to this issue. They will no longer have political advantage if MiddleBelt is recognized as a political identity.
I believe "Northern Nigeria" was delineated by the British before 1914
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Dedetwo(m): 1:16pm On May 15, 2020
omonnakoda:

Usman Dan Fodio jihad had nothing to do with Ilorin AT ALL.

In those places where the jihadis took place it was not an occupation.

All those who carried out the uprising against the local kings were LOCALS whose fathers and grandparents were locals.

There was no army marching from place to place occupying territory.
At any rate Kwara state is not the same as Ilorin

This is an absolute twaddle. Ilorin still remains Emirate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mascot Kalu: Abia Too Backward, We Need Strong, Prepared Leader Like Me / I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon / Breaking News:- Obasanjo Defects To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.