Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,373 members, 7,958,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 07:36 AM

How Did Kwara State Become Northern State - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did Kwara State Become Northern State (8646 Views)

Resolution Of The Northern State Governors Forum Meeting / Where Did Kwara Deputy Speaker, Adetiba Get Money To Build Duplex In One Year? / Answer - How Did Kwara State Become Northern State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by llakes4real: 11:51am On May 16, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Does this dressing look like Yoruba? Maybe I should show you how Yoruba people dress since you are a fulani grin grin

Yes that is a Hausa cap, but that is just fashion! Does wearing English dress make you English? Great civilizations like the Japanese and the Chinese wear English clothes and that doesn't stop them from being what they are! There are South Westerns who were that cap too, so would you say they are Fulani too?

2 Likes

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by llakes4real: 12:11pm On May 16, 2020
omonnakoda:

Northern Nigeria was carved out by the British over 100 years ago and administered as such
Modern Kwara always was part of the Northern Region before 1914 amalgamation and until independence and then in 1967 when states were created it remained part of the "north"
Gowon created 6 states out of Northern Nigeria one of which was West Central State with Ilorin as capital,that was renamed Kwara . As more states were created Kwara has progressively reduced in size.

The Northern region had joint assets just like the other regions e.g In the Western region it was Odua Investment. Those assets and other ties mean that Kwara is better placed as a Northern province.

Ilorin particularly is a Muslim enclave and for that reason cannot sit comfortably in any other place.

You are confusing Ilorin with Kwara state. Ilorin was controlled by the Sokoto caliphate when the British came but not all the present day Kwara State. Those other places in Kwara have their obas which were restored after the fight back from the Yoruba aligned forces. But they were unable to recapture Ilorin.

The fact is that, the British ignorantly divided this country. The same way Europeans divided Africa!
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 12:17pm On May 16, 2020
llakes4real:

You are confusing Ilorin with Kwara state. Ilorin was controlled by the Sokoto caliphate when the British came but not all the present day Kwara State. Those other places in Kwara have their obas which were restored after the fight back from the Yoruba aligned forces. But they were unable to recapture Ilorin.

The fact is that, the British ignorantly divided this country. The same way Europeans divided Africa!
Kindly show how I am confusing Ilorin with Kwara
That is a stupid thing to say
I am talking about Northern Nigeria protectorate as decided by the British. Where did they place those other parts of Kwara was it Northern Nigeria protectorate? Yes or no.
At independence in 1960 in which region was Offa and the rest of Kwara,Western region?

Try and comprehend before correcting people

That is a myth Ilorin was not controlled by Sokoto Caliphate. There is no evidence of such control. The so called caliphate did not control what we know as Niger state to the north of Kwara

What exactly was the Nature of this "CONTROL".

ILORIN existed as an independent enclave after breaking away from Oyo.

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 1:07pm On May 16, 2020
llakes4real:

@the bolded, very true.
Thanks for relieving me the stress of continually and trying to get the message to some posters here.

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by llakes4real: 1:11pm On May 16, 2020
omonnakoda:

Kindly show how I am confusing Ilorin with Kwara
That is a stupid thing to say
I am talking about Northern Nigeria protectorate as decided by the British. Where did they place those other parts of Kwara was it Northern Nigeria protectorate? Yes or no.
At independence in 1960 in which region was Offa and the rest of Kwara,Western region?

Try and comprehend before correcting people

That is a myth Ilorin was not controlled by Sokoto Caliphate. There is no evidence of such control. The so called caliphate did not control what we know as Niger state to the north of Kwara

What exactly was the Nature of this "CONTROL".

ILORIN existed as an independent enclave after breaking away from Oyo.

You don't have to be disrespectful when making your point -- am not your enemy.

And I was telling you that what criteria did they use to decide their Northern Nigeria protectorate? They conquered major parts of Nigeria and then sudden decided that "from here to here" is Northern protectorate. They did that because they did not really care about the people they grouped together, or they were just ignorant of these people's origin, or as some people said, to spite Awolowo and Yoruba people for the contribution to Nigeria's independence.

Ilorin was only an independent state under Afonja when he broke out of the Oyo Empire. And Alimi, in other to overthrow Afonja and capture Yoruba land aligned with the Sokoto caliphate. They gave him the forces to execute his plan. You don't want to tell me the Sultan did that without expecting nothing in return. I don't know about Niger State, but Ilorin I know!
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 1:13pm On May 16, 2020
tamdun:

Don't derail wetin? Accusing me of exactly what u are doing, the topic is very clear Oga, kemberi is a fulani name, go and do ur research

Are you fulani? You are free to sugarcoat it the way you like, but the fact is that, the belgores, Gambaris et all are fulanis that have been ruling you from treacherous days.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 1:16pm On May 16, 2020
tamdun:

Don't derail wetin? Accusing me of exactly what u are doing, the topic is very clear Oga, kemberi is a fulani name, go and do ur research

Am an Awori man and we are proudly yoruba. Everything about us is Yoruba.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 1:24pm On May 16, 2020
llakes4real:

Have ever been to Kwara to come to this conclusion? Maybe they love their religion, but how many of them have you found to be fighting a jihad?

Don't put word in my mouth. I never said Kwara but ilorin, and there's no way a jihad would occur again in kwara when the humiliation they received by the Yorubas esp Ibadan warriors is still fresh in memories. grin

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by llakes4real: 1:36pm On May 16, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Don't put word in my mouth. I never said Kwara but ilorin, and there's no way a jihad would occur again in kwara when the humiliation they received by the Yorubas esp Ibadan warriors is still fresh in memories. grin

We should not be too confident and loose guard. These guys don't read history, so they might just be thinking they are trying a novel task.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 1:50pm On May 16, 2020
llakes4real:

You don't have to be disrespectful when making your point -- am not your enemy.

And I was telling you that what criteria did they use to decide their Northern Nigeria protectorate? They conquered major parts of Nigeria and then sudden decided that "from here to here" is Northern protectorate. They did that because they did not really care about the people they grouped together, or they were just ignorant of these people's origin, or as some people said, to spite Awolowo and Yoruba people for the contribution to Nigeria's independence.

Ilorin was only an independent state under Afonja when he broke out of the Oyo Empire. And Alimi, in other to overthrow Afonja and capture Yoruba land aligned with the Sokoto caliphate. They gave him the forces to execute his plan. You don't want to tell me the Sultan did that without expecting nothing in return. I don't know about Niger State, but Ilorin I know!
Please do not preach at me or arrogate to yourself final word on what is disrespect.

Your very first sentence to me was disrespectful. I merely corrected you. Why would we be enemies?

Deal with that

I was not analysing anything just establishing FACTS.

I have my opinions on how the Northern boundary was drawn but it is not relevant and diversionary. If we started talking about that why stop there why not interrogate the boundaries with Niger or Benin republic. That is EQUALLY relevant to Yorubas ,Hausa etc.

The point here is that IT ( North South delineation) HAPPENED not how or why.
A boundary was drawn by the British and that part of Nigeria that we now call Kwara was included in the North and that is how it became one of the Northern states. That is the answer to the question in the topic of this thread

PS
Ilorin was never an independent state under Afonja. At any rate that has nothing to do with anything

That is as logical as saying Chibok was an independent state under Shekau or Biafra an independent state under Ojukwu
Your claim that Caliphate gave Alimi forces is fantastic with no evidence.. It also shows ignorance of of Ilorin.
The Oyo empire had long relied on Mercenaries of diverse origins and many of whom were slaves or former slaves. Ilorin was a major slave settlement and military campwith Yoruba ,Oyo Yoruba as LINGUA FRANCA. The military were not permitted to stay in the Oyo center

There were no natives of Ilorin. Islam was particularly attractive to Ilorin settlers because it was a growing Islamic centre and Islam meant freedom from slavery for many. It was home to many soldiers and mercenaries.
There was enough force locally fof Alimi to prosecute his agenda. The suggestion that any forces came from Sokoto is quite funny. Like I said Sokoto did not even control Nupe land.Mercenaries were always available to those who could pay for them in those days a
Many people have this misconception of a Sokoto Caliphate with Sokoto as the controlling centre of a Sokoto empire. Nothing is further from the truth. Much of that fiction developed and entrenched After Nigeria was created

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by tamdun: 1:59pm On May 16, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Am an Awori man and we are proudly yoruba. Everything about us is Yoruba.
Good for u, now give ilorin people the same choice, let them chose where they want to go, stop choosing for them
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by studman: 2:04pm On May 16, 2020
thatigboman:
see you. Have u been to ilorin before? 50%of ilorin inhabitants are pure fulani.
There are nupes in kwara. Plenty. Ever heard of patigi?
It's only towns like Offa that you will see yoruba.
Ilorin is a defeated town. I have a friend, a lady from royal home in ilorin. She has hausa name, looks like fulani from sokoto, speaks hausa and fulfude fluently. Never heard her speak yoruba.
So say what u know

You are a liar from the pit of hell. Why are you so concerned about Yorubas? Ilorin people are okay the way they are. 50% ko 100% ni. I live in Ilorin and I can tell you that I know some of the children from the Emir’s palace and they communicate in Yoruba even in their homes. iPod wailer!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by studman: 2:19pm On May 16, 2020
DuwaRepublic:
What is in Kwara state that would be beneficial to Yorubaland, that we should hold on to?
Your ignorance is top notch. What makes you think you are more Yoruba than the Yorubas in kwara? Many of your mates and superiors are in kwara making a living. Ma je ki n fowo osi juwe ile fun e.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by tamdun: 2:21pm On May 16, 2020
studman:

Your ignorance is top notch. What makes you think you are more Yoruba than the Yorubas in kwara? Many of your mates and superiors are in kwara making a living. Ma je ki n fowo osi juwe ile fun e.
Don't mind them, same people will condemn Igbos for calling ebonyi fake Igbos or for practising Osu, bunch of hypocrites

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by llakes4real: 2:55pm On May 16, 2020
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 3:24pm On May 16, 2020
studman:

I don't think this is about being more Yoruba or even about Yorubaness.

It is about Nigerian geopolitical alignment. Ilorin and Kwara is politically aligned with the North and doesn't participate in DAWN,Odua Investment or any other institutions that align so called South West states.

Strictly speaking the Oyo are Yoruba and other groups like Ijebu,Ekiti Egba etc have ONLY recently adopted that appellation.
You can test that by travelling to Ajase in Benin republic where they call themselves Anago and NOT Yoruba.

Anyway the Ilorin dialect Is practically same as original Oyo but the people that live there have a very diverse ancestral origin with significant contribution from Northern Nigeria just like Ekiti and Ondo have significant Edo influence

In Ilorin there is a dominant Islamic influence that us intolerant of Yoruba traditional religion. Having Emirs is incompatible with Yoruba culture

I believe admitting Kwaravto the SW will bring religious disharmony so they better stay where they are politically and let us keep the relationship cultural
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 3:32pm On May 16, 2020
A Thesis in the Department of Linguistics and African Languages Submitted to the Faculty of Arts in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the award of the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy of the University of Ibadan

http://ir.library.ui.edu.ng/handle/123456789/3981

Abstract: The status of Ilorin Emirate as a border community straddling Nigeria’s Northern and Southwestern regions where different languages, ethnic groups and cultures co-exist makes identity construction and manifestation complex. Existing literature largely posit an inseparable link between language and identity, hence, language loss constitutes identity loss. Extant literature barely focuses on the influence of politics on the linguistic and ethnic identities of people. This study, therefore, investigated the relationship between linguistic and ethnic identities in Ilorin Emirate with a view to evaluating the influence of politics and religion on both identities in the community. The Revised Social and Ethnolinguistic Identity Theory, and the Core Value Theory were adopted. Survey and ethnographic methods were used. Proportional sampling method was used for the selection of 300 questionnaire respondents from the five local government areas constituting Ilorin Emirate. Structured interviews were conducted with 25 purposively selected respondents with sufficient knowledge of their identities and community. Quantitative data were analysed using descriptive and inferential statistics at p˂0.05 while qualitative data were ethnographically analysed. Male respondents were 50.3% and Muslims were 89.0%. Majority of respondents (90.0%) identified Yoruba as their first language. However, in terms of political identity represented by regional preference, 57.7% and 34.3% identified as Northerners and Southwesterners respectively. Similarly, 60.0% preferred Northern Nigeria while 37.7% preferred Southwestern Nigeria. A pattern of linguistic identity was established in favour of Yoruba contrariwise for the Yoruba ethnic identity. Ancestral ethnicities influenced respondents’ zones of preference (x2=126.802) while language and religion had no significance. A mosaic pattern of identity was established as respondents preferred ancestral ethnic identities like Yoruba (32.0%), Fulani (16.0%) and Hausa (8.0%); sole Ilorin identity (8.0%) and hybrid ethnic identities like Yoruba-Ilorin (8.0%) and Fulani-Ilorin (4.0%). There were also cases of ethnic converts (24.0%), who claimed non-ancestral ethnic belongingness. Language loss did not constitute identity loss for a higher number of respondents of non-Yoruba ancestry (53.8%) as political allegiances and ancestral ethnicities rather than religion were central to identity and ethnic claims in Ilorin. Allegiances to ancestry whose languages are lost in Ilorin Emirate demonstrate that language and identity are indeed separable. Language loss, does not in all cases, halt the preservation of identity.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 3:33pm On May 16, 2020
This is evidence that they want to be "Northerners"

Let them be

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Thought Obi Was Twitter President Until I Reached INEC Office / Edo Guber: PDP Declines To Sign Peace Accord / How Gov. Amaechi Defrauded Rivers State With Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium Contract

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.