Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

How Did Kwara State Become Northern State - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did Kwara State Become Northern State (7939 Views)

Resolution Of The Northern State Governors Forum Meeting / Where Did Kwara Deputy Speaker, Adetiba Get Money To Build Duplex In One Year? / Answer - How Did Kwara State Become Northern State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 1:17pm On May 15, 2020
Dedetwo:

This is an absolute twaddle. Ilorin still remains Emirate.
So is Dubai
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Dedetwo(m): 1:22pm On May 15, 2020
omonnakoda:

Northern Nigeria was carved out by the British over 100 years ago and administered as such
Modern Kwara always was part of the Northern Region before 1914 amalgamation and until independence and then in 1967 when states were created it remained part of the "north"
Gowon created 6 states out of Northern Nigeria one of which was West Central State with Ilorin as capital,that was renamed Kwara . As more states were created Kwara has progressively reduced in size.

The Northern region had joint assets just like the other regions e.g In the Western region it was Odua Investment. Those assets and other ties mean that Kwara is better placed as a Northern province.

Ilorin particularly is a Muslim enclave and for that reason cannot sit comfortably in any other place.

Whether it is modern Kwara or olden Kwara, by 1903 when Caliphate was sacked by the British every real estate from Oyo Ile to Offa and beyond remains in the control of the Caliphate.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 1:31pm On May 15, 2020
Dedetwo:

Whether it is modern Kwara or olden Kwara, by 1903 when Caliphate was sacked by the British every real estate from Oyo Ile to Offa and beyond remains in the control of the Caliphate.
Dende I have indulged your foolishness enough
You keep stalking me across Nairaland like a rejected lover. I do not do that Ibohomosexual stuff.

Ilorin was never part of any caliphate.

The caliphate you refer to was destroyed in 1903 so I am not sure what your point is

What you need to focus on is the Ezearo dynasty that continues to reign in Arochukwu till this day after it was established by the Akamkpa from modern Akwa Ibom.

The descendants of Nnubi are the Ezearos till tomorrow.

The same Aros that sold millions of Eboes as slaves for generations.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ebenezer2021(m): 1:37pm On May 15, 2020
[s]
BeerParlour:
Obasanjo could not return it, he was busy cutting out Igbo land into South South while adding Ondo to SW
[/s] always speaking trash as usual
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by BabaRamota1980: 4:35pm On May 15, 2020
omonnakoda:

I believe "Northern Nigeria" was delineated by the British before 1914

There were no States under Colonial Government. They had Administrative Authorities and then Provinces. When we created states KWARA was called West Central State. How did it go from West and Central to Northern State?

Before oyinbo come here there was nothing called Kwara. We had Jebba, Bussa, Ilorin, Lafiagi, Baruten, Offa. Each had an independent ruler. Ilorin was a Jammaah, a community, led by a Muslim cleric, not a dynasty king.

After oyinbo get here they had vast areas with non uniform culture and language or belief system. The best they could was to find pre-existing commonalities that would make administration across regions easy. Those who already practiced the religion of sokoto and dressed like sokoto were joined under sokoto. Those who practiced the yoruba culture and dressed Yoruba were joined under it. Those who practiced Igbo ways of life and spoke the language were joined under a single administration. This is how the three major tribes came about. Now, Ilorin spoke Yoruba, so why were they put under sokoto? Because while Sokoto demanded it, Oyo did not oppose it. Oyo acted from lessons learnt in Ilorin treachery and figured that community was not worth holding onto. Of courae in hindsight it was a miscalculation but back then it was the expedient thing to do.

Sokoto in turn, to reinforce its hold on Ilorin, elevated an ordinary islamic cleric to Emirship.

5 Likes

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by omonnakoda: 6:27pm On May 15, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

There were no States under Colonial Government. They had Administrative Authorities and then Provinces. When we created states KWARA was called West Central State. How did it go from West and Central to Northern State?

Before oyinbo come here there was nothing called Kwara. We had Jebba, Bussa, Ilorin, Lafiagi, Baruten, Offa. Each had an independent ruler. Ilorin was a Jammaah, a community, led by a Muslim cleric, not a dynasty king.

After oyinbo get here they had vast areas with non uniform culture and language or belief system. The best they could was to find pre-existing commonalities that would make administration across regions easy. Those who already practiced the religion of sokoto and dressed like sokoto were joined under sokoto. Those who practiced the yoruba culture and dressed Yoruba were joined under it. Those who practiced Igbo ways of life and spoke the language were joined under a single administration. This is how the three major tribes came about. Now, Ilorin spoke Yoruba, so why were they put under sokoto? Because while Sokoto demanded it, Oyo did not oppose it. Oyo acted from lessons learnt in Ilorin treachery and figured that community was not worth holding onto. Of courae in hindsight it was a miscalculation but back then it was the expedient thing to do.

Sokoto in turn, to reinforce its hold on Ilorin, elevated an ordinary islamic cleric to Emirship.
Sir with respect you are taking off point let me not say you are talking rubbish

. Kwara state was never called the Northern state and so the question and topic of this thread is how Kwara became ONE of the Northern states of which there are 19 and why it is not in the south with other Yoruba states

The answer is because it was part of Northern Nigeria a region that was created BEFORE independence with Kaduna City as capital BY THE BRITISH. In 1914 Northern Nigeria protectorate was amalgamated with the southern Nigeria protectorate. Kwara as we know it was part of Northern Nigeria
DID I SUGGEST THERE WERE STATES under colonial government?

The other regions were Eastern region with Enugu as capital and Western region with Ibadan as capital.
The Midwest Region was carved out of Western region with Benin as capital.
In 1967 Gowon created 12 states. 6 of which were from the Northern region one of which was West Central state with Ilorin as Capital
West central state was renamed as Kwara losing some territory to Niger state ,and later to Kogi state

1 Like

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by orisa37: 2:40am On May 16, 2020
EsomahJD:

Una no dey shame?

NO. I'M NOT A MILITARY SCOUNDREL.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by orisa37: 2:50am On May 16, 2020
kehinde1588:

No no.

Give me a reliable source where you read your own history that Abuja was coined from Yoruba words. At least it must be written down somewhere how the name Abuja was derived.

DIVINE MESSAGES EXIST IN THE HEARTS OF THE PROPHETS.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by thatigboman: 4:42am On May 16, 2020
9jakool:

On the contrary

I have never met a Yoruba person from Kwara State that has denied to be Yoruba. It's on Nairaland where I see display of ignorance from certain people from the SW who have never stepped foot in Kwara State and fallen for Ipob propaganda.
see you. Have u been to ilorin before? 50%of ilorin inhabitants are pure fulani.
There are nupes in kwara. Plenty. Ever heard of patigi?
It's only towns like Offa that you will see yoruba.
Ilorin is a defeated town. I have a friend, a lady from royal home in ilorin. She has hausa name, looks like fulani from sokoto, speaks hausa and fulfude fluently. Never heard her speak yoruba.
So say what u know
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by tamdun: 4:57am On May 16, 2020
thatigboman:
see you. Have u been to ilorin before? 50%of ilorin inhabitants are pure fulani.
There are nupes in kwara. Plenty. Ever heard of patigi?
It's only towns like Offa that you will see yoruba.
Ilorin is a defeated town. I have a friend, a lady from royal home in ilorin. She has hausa name, looks like fulani from sokoto, speaks hausa and fulfude fluently. Never heard her speak yoruba.
So say what u know
This is a lie, go and do more research, there are 3 chiefs in ilorin, balogun ajikobi, balogun alanamu and balogun fulani, as u can see only one of them is fulani.
U people always remind us how ilorin people dress like fulani, but failed to see how fulanis in ilorin are embracing yoruba culture, that's why I asked ayekoto to show me a fulani man in ilorin without a yoruba name(no yoruba in ilorin has a fulani name), majority of them marry yoruba, give their children yoruba name and oriki, some of them even marry Christians (tunde belgore,abdulrahman abdulrazaq etc), go to any house in ilorin today, you'll hardly see them complete their three square meals without amala, they speak Yoruba language but all u see is "how they dress", hijab/turban isn't part of fulani culture, below is how fulani dress.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by tamdun: 7:50am On May 16, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by valarmorghulis: 8:17am On May 16, 2020
tamdun:

This is a lie, go and do more research, there are 3 chiefs in ilorin, balogun ajikobi, balogun alanamu and balogun fulani, as u can see only one of them is fulani.
U people always remind us how ilorin people dress like fulani, but failed to see how fulanis in ilorin are embracing yoruba culture, that's why I asked ayekoto to show me a fulani man in ilorin without a yoruba name(no yoruba in ilorin has a fulani name), majority of them marry yoruba, give their children yoruba name and oriki, some of them even marry Christians (tunde belgore,abdulrahman abdulrazaq etc), go to any house in ilorin today, you'll hardly see them complete their three square meals without amala, they speak Yoruba language but all u see is "how they dress", hijab/turban isn't part of fulani culture, below is how fulani dress.
They'll ignore everything u mentioned above.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 8:37am On May 16, 2020
omonnakoda:

Name the emir of a town in Osun state . That is what I meant by "enclave"

Kwara and Ilorin are not the same thing.

The people of Ilorin are quite comfortable in the North and will stay there. They belong there.

I am not aware that I was giving an " excuse" for anything. I merely stated historical facts

Who is compensating whom and WHY?

Thank you for this piece. This is where I stand.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 8:56am On May 16, 2020
tamdun:

Have you seen Buhari, a fulani, dress like this? What about the rest fulanis such as Atiku, El-Rufai and Co?

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 9:03am On May 16, 2020
A true Yoruba king in kwara
Oba mufutau Gbadamosi : Olofa of offa

Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by tamdun: 9:05am On May 16, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Have you seen Buhari, a fulani, dress like this? What about the rest fulanis such as Atiku, El-Rufai and Co?
U have personal issues with ilorin and there's nothing u can do about it, if the only point you have is their mode of dressing, u couldn't even counter any of the point mentioned above.
Now let me ask u a question, u claimed to come from okoko and related to kemberi family? What is the meaning of kemberi? kemberi isn't a family name
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by tamdun: 9:06am On May 16, 2020
Ayekotoo:
A true Yoruba king in kwara
Oba mufutau Gbadamosi : Olofa of offa
Ilorin is a Muslim town and there's nothing u can do to change that
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 9:07am On May 16, 2020
valarmorghulis:

They'll ignore everything u mentioned above.

Those craps up there are identity crisis and nothing more. At the end, you report back to the Fulani emir of ilorin.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 9:08am On May 16, 2020
tamdun:

Ilorin is a Muslim town and there's nothing u can do to change that

Oba mufutau Gbadamosi is a Christian abi?
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 9:11am On May 16, 2020
tamdun:

U have personal issues with ilorin and there's nothing u can do about it, if the only point you have is their mode of dressing, u couldn't even counter any of the point mentioned above.
Now let me ask u a question, u claimed to come from okoko and related to kemberi family? What is the meaning of kemberi? kemberi isn't a family name

What has this got to do with the topic of discussion? I won't reveal myself more than what have said or written.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by tamdun: 9:16am On May 16, 2020
Ayekotoo:

What has this got to do with the topic of discussion? I won't reveal myself more than what have said or written.
U r revealing nothing by telling us the meaning of kemberi grin it even sounds like Hausa name, abi egun ni e ni?
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by tamdun: 9:17am On May 16, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Those craps up there are identity crisis and nothing more. At the end, you report back to the Fulani emir of ilorin.
E b like say ilorin person don do u strong thing, pele
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 9:23am On May 16, 2020
tamdun:

E b like say ilorin person don do u strong thing, pele

Stop the attachee by force. Stick with your fulani ancestry. It sucks to be fulani these days, considering the hatred that's associated with it. grin grin
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by tamdun: 9:25am On May 16, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Stop the attachee by force. Stick with your fulani ancestry. It sucks to be fulani these days, considering the hatred that's associated with it. grin grin
Attache by Force? U better go and read history. Oga tell us the meaning of kemberi, a yoruba man that doesn't know the meaning of his family name, e b like say u b fulani descendants
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by Ayekotoo(m): 9:47am On May 16, 2020
tamdun:

Attache by Force? U better go and read history. Oga tell us the meaning of kemberi, a yoruba man that doesn't know the meaning of his family name, e b like say u b fulani descendants

My family name is not kemberi but Arowosegbe makinde. This is my last discussion per my family. Don't derail please
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by tamdun: 9:51am On May 16, 2020
Ayekotoo:

My family name is not kemberi but Arowosegbe makinde. This is my last discussion per my family. Don't derail please
Don't derail wetin? Accusing me of exactly what u are doing, the topic is very clear Oga, kemberi is a fulani name, go and do ur research
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by bluke(m): 11:02am On May 16, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

barber shop analysis,
look for what lord lugard did on how balogun alanamu was exiled and others silenced.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by llakes4real: 11:03am On May 16, 2020
agulion:
Pls can anybody help and educate and school me into the above topic. Because they way the names of people from that state sound used to comfuse me.

Because those that divided Nigeria knew nothing about the people, so they just did things as they liked. The same way they divided many Africa into countries. Imagine attaching Edo and Delta with the old Western region and neglecting Kwara and parts of Kogi.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by llakes4real: 11:18am On May 16, 2020
kehinde1588:
By political zoning, kwara is a nothern state including Benue, Kogi and the rest but by tribe and language, obviously kwara is dominated by Yoruba and by virtue of that, it makes kwara a Yoruba state.

An ilorin indigine can never claim to be a Fulani because they don't even speak Fulani and their way of life is not in line with Fulani way. They are Yorubas and the official language is Yoruba.

The newly appointed COS to Buhari can't claim he is a Fulani man cos he knows little or nothing about Fulani culture.

Out of 16 LGAs in kwara, about 12 are dominated by Yorubas which are Kwara south, kwara Central and some part of kwara north.

Kwara can only claim to be a northern state when it comes to politics but in every other thing, kwara is a Yoruba state. To those claiming the COS to Buhari is a Fulani man, the man doesn't know anything about Fulani culture. If you all claim is a Fulani man because he bears Gambari, then we can say Bukola Saraki and his sister are Fulani too.

Actually, Gambari is a Yoruba word. It is a corrupted borrowed word from the Hausa word Kyamberi (oro ayalo aifojuri). Same with names like Saraki and co.
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by llakes4real: 11:26am On May 16, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Though we can't throw away the baby with the bathing water as the case of Kwara. i.e Ilorin is a lost cause not the whole Kwara. Most of them are regilion extremists like the Hausa fulanis.

Have ever been to Kwara to come to this conclusion? Maybe they love their religion, but how many of them have you found to be fighting a jihad?
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by lukui: 11:28am On May 16, 2020
Yeye dey smell. Be fighting yourselves here while those clowns are inside aircon looting you dry.

Abuja is south south, kwara is shit shit, what impact has that had on the standard of living of the common man?

Happy fighting!!!
Re: How Did Kwara State Become Northern State by lukui: 11:34am On May 16, 2020
Where you come from doesn't matter, its what you do that counts!!!

Jonathan said he had no shoes, he built almajiri schools for them in the north

Ibb came from whatever, he started construction of Lagos bridge, moved capital to abuja

Abacha came from Niger, according to rumours, don't know if its true, he kept abacha loot for us

Obj came from prison, he wiped out odi and zaki biam

Buhari came from daura, he is still battling with the steering

Yaradua(rest in peace) came from I don't know, he did amnesty for militants.

Stop asking what can Nigeria do for you, ask what can you do for Nigeria.

Good or bad, do something, because everybody is a story.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria Will Disintegrate In 2015 / Reps Probe Missing N14.8bn In Customs Service / Kaduna: El-Rufai’s Ally, Aisha Galadima Released, Accuses DSS Of Assault

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.