Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies (76602 Views)

New Format To Rob People. Be Careful Out There / Facebook User Exposes New Format ATM Fraudsters Use To Scam People. / Format Of Drugs, Job & Sex Trafficking Scam Run By Nigerians In South Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by toolovely(m): 8:29pm On May 15, 2020
Had same experience. He called one Sunday morning that while they are merging access and diamond accounts, they found out that the DOB is different from my Diamond Access account. And that my ATM card has expired, I said yes. He asked if I have any other account, I said yes. He said I should give him the card number so he can help me rectify it. I told him not to worry that I will go to the bank. He said intact, that if I don't give him the details they will block my account now. I said no problem, they can block it that I will go to the bank. He dropped the call

1 Like

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Goalnaldo(m): 8:30pm On May 15, 2020
YummySuits:

Yes o, since they want to be unfortunate. I had airtime to spare that day grin
I just checked out your IG page. Sexy lingerie you got there.
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by hope4nigeria(m): 8:39pm On May 15, 2020
BluntNigerian:
Scammers are now using the “Date of Birth” Lies to Scam innocent citizens.

Once they have your account number, they can proceed to hack the systems and get your BVN, and from there, they can get your name, address, date of birth, and so on.

And every information you ask of them as confirmation, they will just give it to you, so that you would think that they are genuine.

On Thursday around 4:45pm, one Adebola called me with an ordinary number instead of the usual 0700-300-0000 that Access Bank usually call people with.

He said that he is calling me from the Access Bank Headquarters. He mentioned my correct name for me, and I concurred.

He then went ahead to tell me that the date of birth on my “account” in Access Bank is different from the DOB in my BVN (But I have more than one accounts with Access Bank, so he didn't specify which account he was referring to). He then told me that he needed to know which one out of the two dates are correct so he can correct it.

I asked him to break everything down with figures. He called out my correct DOB and said that it was the DOB on my Access Bank Account. He then called the same DOB and changed the year of birth, and said that it was the DOB on my BVN.

Habbaa!!.
I asked him to explain to me how that could ever be possible. He said that maybe the person that was entering the values made the typo error while feeding my information into the system.
He then told me not to worry, that they can correct it directly from the head-office, that a code will be sent to me to confirm that I am the one, so as to give them permission to....

I cut in immediately telling him that I will go to my bank first thing on Friday morning to rectify it.
He asked me “what sir?”, and I repeated myself again.
He dropped the call immediately.

I went to my bank on Friday to rectify the said error in the DOB, but got disappointed to discover that there was no error on the DOB.
In fact, every single information on my BVN-Page was correct.

The officer that attended to me at the bank told me that I did the right thing by coming to the bank.
That's the number that called me, and that is his name on Truecaller. (In the picture attached)
But he came across to me as Adebola.
The number is registered with fake information, just for the sake of fraud.
Op so this scam is new to you abi? And you wasted your precious time and money to travel to bank, any the total amount you were scammed was what you spent going to Bank, a very intelligent person recognize scammer in first encounter. I do allow them to waste credit before I course them.
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Hilary916(f): 8:44pm On May 15, 2020
Someone also called me with the same format, I just cut the call on him immediately. angry
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by shamsin6300(m): 8:47pm On May 15, 2020
[quote author=OdefaGirl post=89582964]Bank will tell you to kindly come to their branch for rectification of any problem.......

fertilizer.....(no be only "liquid fertilizer" na "liquid metal"wink.....

This part really got me grin

1 Like

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by benebaby77: 8:51pm On May 15, 2020
Talknochip:
Why do these scammers always come for Access bank customers?!

Two days after i collected my first ATM in Access bank Last december, someone called me to tell me of how i just collected my ATM and how it need to be upgraded before the new year bla bla bla...

I nearly fell for d trick. He insulted the hell out of me when i started asking him questions.
He was like: i am not ur mate... U are very stu..pid...you think we are playing here... I am trying to do my job... lol. I was perplexed after that episode.

I kept wondering how he got to know about the collection of the ATM card!!

Similar calls were put to my dad and sister.

I don't think your account is safe with Access Bank. Lost my phone last week and somebody transferred about 100K from my Access Bank account that has no active ATM card using USSD code. One's account needs to have active ATM card for the USSD to be used for transfer and the maximum daily amount is NGN 20K... Access Bank is yet to refund/recall my money

Something is definitely wrong with Access Bank. I'm considering closing my accounts with the Bank.

3 Likes

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by benebaby77: 8:54pm On May 15, 2020
SpicyMimi:

Access bank has one of the best customer care service, they prefer calling to resolve issues only when you mail them first.

There was a time I needed to block my account fast because I thought I had been scammed, I was short of airtime and time was not on standby, so I made a quick call to them but it got disconnected and they called back immediately. I was extremely impressed.

Best customer?

Access Bank has one of the worst customer care in Nigeria. I hardly have any smooth experience with the Access Bank customer care.
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by YummySuits(f): 8:59pm On May 15, 2020
Goalnaldo:
I just checked out your IG page. Sexy lingerie you got there.

Thank you grin

Come shop for bae wink
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by benebaby77: 9:00pm On May 15, 2020
GavelSlam:
Access bank?

Forget it.

That bank has to be shut.

They are notorious for stealing depositors funds and pretending it was hacked.

Access Bank would not make it beyond 2020.

Quote me anywhere.

I have been having terrible experience with the Bank and a lot of unexplainable deductions. Imagine Access Bank debiting my account twice for unsolicited products and since February the Bank is yet to refund my money. Called customer care many times and sent emails, yet they refused to refund me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by 2tec(m): 9:01pm On May 15, 2020
Hello Friends,

Is the pandemic forcing your business to record losses?

Regardless of the industry/ sector that you operate in, we can help you to bounce back in fortunes!

At BaseAfrique, we assist businesses to reach their target market and make their customers handy via our IT Solutions (Applications).

Our technology is not only affordable but also negotiable!

Check my signature, let's get enterprising
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by wolexter(m): 9:01pm On May 15, 2020
Guys stop falling for all these tricks by some cheap fraudsters to break into your account. The simple truth is that it is nearly impossible for any bank to call you to update anything on your account. Banks are too busy for all that. Plus banks do not even want you to come take your money away because they need it so they would rather not remind you of the money in the first place lol. And if your bank must call you for any update on your account they would rather ask you to come to the bank and not to provide sensitive information. Pls let's be careful out there. Trust no one

1 Like

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Goalnaldo(m): 9:05pm On May 15, 2020
YummySuits:

Thank you grin

Come shop for bae wink
I wanted to see your face but ended up seeing your customers own. cheesy cheesy bae ke? I am still trying to find my bearing in life o sis. No bae for now. smiley
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by GavelSlam: 9:08pm On May 15, 2020
benebaby77:

I have been having terrible experience with the Bank and a lot of unexplainable deductions. Imagine Access Bank debiting my account twice for unsolicited products and since February the Bank is yet to refund my money. Called customer care many times and sent emails, yet the refused to refund me.

I would implore all having an account with them to move elsewhere.
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by darmilolah(m): 9:12pm On May 15, 2020
BluntNigerian:

Once they have your account number, they can proceed to hack the systems and get your BVN, and from there, they can get your name, address, date of birth, and so on.

And every information you ask of them as confirmation, they will just give it to you, so that you would think that they are genuine.

On Thursday around 4:45pm, one Adebola called me with an ordinary number instead of the usual 0700-300-0000 that Access Bank usually call people with.

He said that he is calling me from the Access Bank Headquarters. He mentioned my correct name for me, and I concurred.

He then went ahead to tell me that the date of birth on my “account” in Access Bank is different from the DOB in my BVN (But I have more than one accounts with Access Bank, so he didn't specify which account he was referring to). He then told me that he needed to know which one out of the two dates are correct so he can correct it.

I asked him to break everything down with figures. He called out my correct DOB and said that it was the DOB on my Access Bank Account. He then called the same DOB and changed the year of birth, and said that it was the DOB on my BVN.

Habbaa!!.
I asked him to explain to me how that could ever be possible. He said that maybe the person that was entering the values made the typo error while feeding my information into the system.
He then told me not to worry, that they can correct it directly from the head-office, that a code will be sent to me to confirm that I am the one, so as to give them permission to....

I cut in immediately telling him that I will go to my bank first thing on Friday morning to rectify it.

I went to my bank on Friday to rectify the said error in the DOB, but got disappointed to discover that there was no error on the DOB.

The officer that attended to me at the bank told me that I did the right thing by coming to the bank.
That's the number that called me, and that is his name on Truecaller. (In the picture attached)

Same number called me and said the same thing to me. I told him I will go to the bank to correct the information and he dropped the call immediately.
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Ezinne16: 9:13pm On May 15, 2020
A scammer called me too yesterday
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by tony5(m): 9:16pm On May 15, 2020
tk4rd:
The bank won't do any damm thing
They won't even take any action.
Even if you report directly to them, they will tell you to report to the police first and get a police report before they can do anything.
The Sad Part Is That Most Of This Bankers Knows Some This Perpetrators But Because Of The Tips They Get From This Scammers, There Hands Are Tied And Can't Expose Them

1 Like

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Talknochip(m): 9:16pm On May 15, 2020
benebaby77:

I don't think your account is safe with Access Bank. Lost my phone last week and somebody transferred about 100K from my Access Bank account that has no active ATM card using USSD code. One's account needs to have active ATM card for the USSD to be used for transfer and the maximum daily amount is NGN 20K... Access Bank is yet to refund/recall my money

Something is definitely wrong with Access Bank. I'm considering closing my accounts with the Bank.
This is serious. so saddening
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by YummySuits(f): 9:17pm On May 15, 2020
Goalnaldo:
I wanted to see your face but ended up seeing your customers own. cheesy cheesy bae ke? I am still trying to find my bearing in life o sis. No bae for now. smiley

grin
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by benebaby77: 9:19pm On May 15, 2020
GavelSlam:

I would implore all having an account with them to move elsewhere.

I want to move elsewhere, but I don't really know the bank that has better customer care and secure banking operations

1 Like

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by crusufixo(m): 9:19pm On May 15, 2020
I had the same experience too. In my own case, i knew immediately that person calling was a scammer
I played along and gave him wrong infor. I kept him talking till he realized that he was bursted. The stupid guy insulted me and cut the call
Just imagine , no shame at all !!!! everyone should just be careful cos these boys have upgraded their game
For no reason must you give out any of your bank infor over a call. If anyone calls you claiming to be a customer care of your bank, just tell the person immediately that you would go to the bank yourself to correct whatever error they are talking about.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by VickyRotex(f): 9:20pm On May 15, 2020
Some of them are on NL. I'm sure they're reading the op's thread and planning their next move.

Terrible humans that wants to reap where they've not sown!

I dont even want to talk about a security flaw I discovered on a NG bank (name withheld for privacy) website few days ago.

If I mention the details here, unethical hackers will leverage the information. angry angry
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Dollabiz: 9:25pm On May 15, 2020
Oh
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Issiijay(m): 9:33pm On May 15, 2020
Yes, date of birth lies you call it
It's really true tho but for years when I hear bout people falling victim for the scam, I do feel no matter how or what I would never ever fall victim.

Let me share mine.. at the end, all praises was to God.

I just gained admission into the Federal University Oye Ekiti.. we're paying so high, over 100k as freshers..Being a fresher, lol I had over 130k in my account cos I haven't paid my school fees and some stuff which I'd have but i decided to pend cos some of my friends haven't done theirs.

There's ASUU strike then , school hasn't resumed fully. This very day I was going to a friend's hostel.. Then the call came just the same way it came to you as I was bout entering the hostel

I don't know how, prolly the guy used jazz or so cos when he said he's calling from my bank I decided to stop and not enter the Hostel. .

He talked bout the same date of birth issues and asked if I'm alone and make sure no one is with since it's confidential. I use UBA

He mentioned many correct info bout me , I was surprised since it's my first time being so scammed, I was still telling him wow, thanks.

Then,he asked for my ATM so as to correct it.. So sad I foolishly went home ,got the ATM and came back to that my friend's hostel compound.Tho the guy hung up and called later

He told me to call the numbers at the front of the ATM (I use master card) and the expiry date which j stupidly called out

He then told me to turn to the back and asked for the 3nunbers there since I use Master Card.

That was when God the Almighty opened my head and sense.
I told him I'm coming, my dad is calling me , he kept disturbing me to tell him the numbers, I didnt answer, he called BK disturbing but I hung up .

Then I went into the Hostel. Told a guy there about what happened and he asked if I've told him the back numbers I said no, he said thank God but he still insulted me for telling him all that ..
I tried transferring the money to a friend so it'd be safe

I checked my account balance in my phone and I saw zero naira , I was shocked and started crying. Went to the Bank and block my ATM,even the bank staff insulted me sef.. still I was crying so bad for an hour with friends pitying me and some abusing me..I didn't know what to do

Then I went back to the bank , told the bank staff that the money is gone.. The man said no it can't since i didn't tell him the back numbers.

He then checked my acct and show me my money still in my account

I screamed in the banking Hall ehn. Got a new ATM, I was given a verve tho

Since then , my head dow wise.

It is well Sha.
Let's all be careful oh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Issiijay(m): 9:35pm On May 15, 2020
benebaby77:

I have been having terrible experience with the Bank and a lot of unexplainable deductions. Imagine Access Bank debiting my account twice for unsolicited products and since February the Bank is yet to refund my money. Called customer care many times and sent emails, yet they refused to refund me.

Med ohh
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Issiijay(m): 9:36pm On May 15, 2020
BluntNigerian:

Habbaa!!.

Yes, date of birth lies you call it
It's really true tho but for years when I hear bout people falling victim for the scam, I do feel no matter how or what I would never ever fall victim.

Let me share mine.. at the end, all praises was to God.

I just gained admission into the Federal University Oye Ekiti.. we're paying so high, over 100k as freshers..Being a fresher, lol I had over 130k in my account cos I haven't paid my school fees and some stuff which I'd have but i decided to pend cos some of my friends haven't done theirs.

There's ASUU strike then , school hasn't resumed fully. This very day I was going to a friend's hostel.. Then the call came just the same way it came to you as I was bout entering the hostel

I don't know how, prolly the guy used jazz or so cos when he said he's calling from my bank I decided to stop and not enter the Hostel. .

He talked bout the same date of birth issues and asked if I'm alone and make sure no one is with since it's confidential. I use UBA

He mentioned many correct info bout me , I was surprised since it's my first time being so scammed, I was still telling him wow, thanks.

Then,he asked for my ATM so as to correct it.. So sad I foolishly went home ,got the ATM and came back to that my friend's hostel compound.Tho the guy hung up and called later

He told me to call the numbers at the front of the ATM (I use master card) and the expiry date which j stupidly called out

He then told me to turn to the back and asked for the 3nunbers there since I use Master Card.

That was when God the Almighty opened my head and sense.
I told him I'm coming, my dad is calling me , he kept disturbing me to tell him the numbers, I didnt answer, he called BK disturbing but I hung up .

Then I went into the Hostel. Told a guy there about what happened and he asked if I've told him the back numbers I said no, he said thank God but he still insulted me for telling him all that ..
I tried transferring the money to a friend so it'd be safe

I checked my account balance in my phone and I saw zero naira , I was shocked and started crying. Went to the Bank and block my ATM,even the bank staff insulted me sef.. still I was crying so bad for an hour with friends pitying me and some abusing me..I didn't know what to do

Then I went back to the bank , told the bank staff that the money is gone.. The man said no it can't since i didn't tell him the back numbers.

He then checked my acct and show me my money still in my account

I screamed in the banking Hall ehn. Got a new ATM, I was given a verve tho

Since then , my head dow wise.

It is well Sha.
Let's all be careful oh

1 Like

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Tomarak: 9:40pm On May 15, 2020
Someone called me on Monday from FirstBank, told me my account has been debited. Requested for my ATM card number so as to reverse the transaction, I replied by telling him that couldn't be possible because I'm far from it and won't get hold of it for the next two days.
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by OdefaGirl(f): 9:43pm On May 15, 2020
[quote author=shamsin6300 post=89589614][/quote]

He keeps using the same dumb lines..... it's funny though grin grin grin
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by GavelSlam: 9:57pm On May 15, 2020
benebaby77:

I want to move elsewhere, but I don't really know the bank that has better customer care and secure banking operations

Anyone would be better than Access.

Personally, I use Standard Chartered.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by wheesin(m): 10:01pm On May 15, 2020
It looks like someone from these banks especially Access and union bank is selling our info to these people. They called me yesterday and got all my information correctly.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Mrdecent(m): 10:03pm On May 15, 2020
Talknochip:
Why do these scammers always come for Access bank customers?!

Two days after i collected my first ATM in Access bank Last december, someone called me to tell me of how i just collected my ATM and how it need to be upgraded before the new year bla bla bla...

I nearly fell for d trick. He insulted the hell out of me when i started asking him questions.
He was like: i am not ur mate... U are very stu..pid...you think we are playing here... I am trying to do my job... lol. I was perplexed after that episode.

I kept wondering how he got to know about the collection of the ATM card!!

Similar calls were put to my dad and sister.

Very common in access bank. If you just open account they will call. They duped my kid brother same way too. When I went to complain in access bank, I met almost 5 people with same complain too.
Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by John360comng: 10:14pm On May 15, 2020
OdefaGirl:
Bank will tell you to kindly come to their branch for rectification of any problem.......
My own is one Emmanuel Nwachukwu that doesn't get tired of calling me. He will call to tell me how I helped him some years back and he wanna pay back..... I should be a supplier of liquid fertilizer.....(no be only "liquid fertilizer" na "liquid metal"wink.....
Trust me I will innocently waste his airtime till he gets tired.
Rubbish!!

Haha!
Some of you here na Nutcase. This your post had me laughing so hard that i nearly ruptured an intestine.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Now Use Date Of Birth As Their New Format Of Lies by Talknochip(m): 10:14pm On May 15, 2020
Mrdecent:

Very common in access bank. If you just open account they will call. They duped my kid brother same way too. When I went to complain in access bank, I met almost 5 people with same complain too.
Na wa oo... Really sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Gateman Kills And Buries Boss In His Backyard (video) / FBI Busts Nigerian Internet Syndicate Over Multimillion-dollar Fraud / Yahoo Boys And Yahoo Girls Arrested By EFCC In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.