Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,655 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:34 PM

New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada (38493 Views)

Twist In Regional Competition As New Airport Opens In Anambra / Best Country To Relocate With My Family Apart From Canada / COVID-19: Air France Begins Evacuation Of EU Citizens In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Mizwisdom(f): 10:28am On May 16, 2020
isthatso:

I dont know why I bother knowing the level of illiteracy in the land.

A commercial flight is a commercial flight whether you pay $5000 or $1. Therefore commercial rules apply.

No in this situation, these are times when rules are broken due to Corona virus.

1 Like

Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by xpool(m): 10:43am On May 16, 2020
Mizwisdom:

They did not refer to Nigerian High Commission but Canadian.
Yea, mistake
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 10:58am On May 16, 2020
kendrick93:
Have they( the Nigerians) complained that they want to come back?.
Cause I know if I was in Canada, no way i'm i coming back to this country after struggling to get there in the first place
Did anyone force them to pay for the flight?
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by abnot: 11:54am On May 16, 2020
Bar1941:
Am still searching very hard to know the so called Nigerians in Canada that want to return.

Why are you searching so hard ? They are Nigerians like you . Only difference is that they may have accepted Nigeria as their home and have things ongoing in Nigeria . I’m trying to imagine how it will feel being stranded in Canada or USA at the moment. Would be a very tough experience . Imagine owning your home in wuse 2 and You find yourself in a Small hotel in Toronto with all the lockdown restrictions in place without family , food of choice and without being able to get your work done the way you would have wanted. That’s the situation many of these potential returnees are in.

5 Likes

Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 16, 2020
Anaedo1:

Ode.
Olodo..
Oloriburuku ni.
Stay in your mud house and brown roof and be spewing hatred while Onyema makes more money and it's enjoying his life.
The second Allen Onyema steps into United States or Canada he will be arrested. You defend the corrupt politicians and businessmen and wonder why the country is the poverty and corruption capital of the world.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga/pr/ceo-nigerian-airline-indicted-bank-fraud-and-money-laundering
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-23/nigeria-airline-boss-indicted-by-u-s-for-money-laundering

Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Cantonese: 2:36pm On May 16, 2020
tempest01:

Does Air peace have commercial flights to Canada? There is definitely a reason why their plane landed in Canada at that time, that does not justify going in again. If there is a procedure in place, then they should have done that before even planning the flight

You do not seem to understand how the airlines work. First they must have enough aircrafts to apply the routes; they must have the choice routes; they must have permits. All aircrafts, whether commercial or private get clearance from the host countries to fly across and also to land. Even if Airpeace does not have permit to land at any of the airports in Canada, they can easily get it and apply their aircrafts there.

I believe that Airpeace would have either applied or received all the necessary landing rights.

Our own na our own. Please let's all support Airpeace. Cheers man.

1 Like

Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by baysol: 7:24pm On May 16, 2020
FlordFlorez:
What kind of unnecessary political game is this? Our citizen and our airline, what problem did they got with that. Imaging them deploying boeing 767 when we have 777 with airpeace plus charging higher, are they mad?
No be today all these yeye tins and magomago don dey happen. It is now when shove don turn to push our people them come dey wise up.
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Bar1941(m): 7:50pm On May 16, 2020
abnot:

Why are you searching so hard ? They are Nigerians like you . Only difference is that they may have accepted Nigeria as their home and have things ongoing in Nigeria . I’m trying to imagine how it will feel being stranded in Canada or USA at the moment. Would be a very tough experience . Imagine owning your home in wuse 2 and You find yourself in a Small hotel in Toronto with all the lockdown restrictions in place without family , food of choice and without being able to get your work done the way you would have wanted. That’s the situation many of these potential returnees are in.

You could be right though, I only based my assertion on Nigerian communities am familiar with, the Canadian goverment provides palliatives virtually to all sectors of goverment which Nigerian government have not been doing. Survival chance and ability to get adequate treatment by affected victims is higher in Canada than in Nigeria. But as you said, taking a look at it from that perspective too could be a vital reason. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Kingspin(m): 8:10pm On May 16, 2020
Mynd44:

Canada is not allowing Airpeace to make the flight as it is not registered in Canada
Do you understand there is a pandemic? And many rules have to make way.

Imagine if is world_war!

That is the scenario.

Canada has no right to outrightly reject a diplomatic service. Mind you all those flights are booked through Nigerian embassies not a regular flight.

1 Like

Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by MCIU: 8:20pm On May 16, 2020
swiperthefox:
What arrant nonsense? You want our citizens to pay over $1,000 higher to be airlifted from Canada to Nigeria when there is a Mega Churches In Unites States cheaper alternative.

They better register Airpeace. If not, Canada would have to pay the balance if they insist on Ethiopia Airline.

Na naija we dey nahh
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by FlordFlorez(m): 8:42pm On May 16, 2020
baysol:

No be today all these yeye tins and magomago don dey happen. It is now when shove don turn to push our people them come dey wise up.
u are right.
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by abnot: 8:42pm On May 16, 2020
Bar1941:

You could be right though, I only based my assertion on Nigerian communities am familiar with, the Canadian goverment provides palliatives virtually to all sectors of goverment which Nigerian government have not been doing. Survival chance and ability to get adequate treatment by affected victims is higher in Canada than in Nigeria. But as you said, taking a look at it from that perspective too could be a vital reason. Thanks.
Again that’s also been wrongly put out by Nigerians who for some reason try so hard to show-off their life in Canada. From what I understand you have to apply for these palliatives and prove that you need it. But again will a middle class African with some form of comfort leave the continent and travel to North America just for palliatives? I surprisingly only see that in Nigeria. It’s not a common practice in the SADC region . In Baltimore MD the palliatives being given is about $1200 monthly which wouldn’t rent you a decent 1 bed apartment. While these may look attractive in Nigeria it can never keep a man who is doing well in Africa happy to the point of leaving all you’ve got to stay in a USA or Canada endlessly

2 Likes

Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Litmus: 9:08pm On May 16, 2020
Bar1941:
Am still searching very hard to know the so called Nigerians in Canada that want to return.

What method of search did you employ?
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by slysteel: 10:53pm On May 16, 2020
Mynd44:

Canada is not allowing Airpeace to make the flight as it is not registered in Canada
Typical African slave response, trying to always make excusesfor your opressors,you don't need to register a plane just to land the plane,all you need is a flight permit to fly over or land in any country,which is not a problem.
Canada is trying to manipulate Nigerians to pay for flight tickets of canadians returning from Nigeria to Canada by charging them double of what air peace is charging

1 Like

Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Nobody: 4:03am On May 17, 2020
slysteel:
Typical African slave response, trying to always make excusesfor your opressors,you don't need to register a plane just to land the plane,all you need is a flight permit to fly over or land in any country,which is not a problem.
Canada is trying to manipulate Nigerians to pay for flight tickets of canadians returning from Nigeria to Canada by charging them double of what air peace is charging
Canada is trying to prevent a wanted fugitive from economically benefiting from the proceeds of his crime. Allen Onyema, has refused to defend himself over the $20 million money laundering charge against by the Department of Justice in United States.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/23/africa/nigeria-airline-founder-bank-fraud/index.html

Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by salford1: 3:54pm On May 17, 2020
While others are arguing about twists and plots,
Ethiopian Airline is picking up the tab. From a different thread:

bekayy:
Like Mr Ednut has said. Look below.

The purpose of this message is to inform you that Ethiopian Airlines is selling tickets for a flight from Lagos to Toronto (via Addis Ababa) that will depart Lagos on Monday, May 18. In the event of any difficulties with the flight, Ethiopian Airlines has provided assurances of a quick refund.

Flight details:

Flight ET3900 from LOS to ADD - departs 13:00 (1 p.m.) from Lagos on Monday, May 18
Flight ET552 from ADD to YYZ – departs 22:50 (10:50 p.m.) from Addis Ababa on Monday, May 18

Price and booking instructions:

The cost will be USD $2,500 per passenger in economy class.

ALL BOOKINGS ARE TO BE MADE DIRECTLY WITH ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES.

You can use the following contact information to make your booking with Ethiopian Airlines:

Email: LOSSUP@ethiopianairlines.com
Email: LOSSM@ethiopianairlines.com
Telephone: 09069385274
Telephone: +2348141992990
Telephone: +2348034380470

You must provide the passport number of each traveller in your communication with Ethiopian Airlines.

Eligibility to enter Canada: Persons who meet the exemptions to Canada’s current travel restrictions are permitted to board this flight to Canada. This includes Canadian citizens, Canadian Permanent Residents, as well as Permanent Resident applicants who were approved and received their Confirmation of Permanent Residency (COPR) and visa on or before 18 March 2020. All persons must already hold valid documents to enter Canada, including visas and COPRs. To see the full list of exemptions, visit the below link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#exemptions

Getting to the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos: If you have successfully booked a ticket, ensure you are at the airport by 10:00 (10 a.m.) on Monday, May 18.

Please note that the High Commission can provide you with a letter to facilitate your travel to the airport. We hope this will assist you to get to the airport, but unfortunately we cannot make any guarantees. Please contact us at lagos@international.gc.ca to request this letter only once you have booked a ticket. When travelling to the airport, you should carry the letter as well as your flight reservation as proof of your travel.

Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 17, 2020
salford1:
While others are arguing about twists and plots,
Ethiopian Airline is picking up the tab. From a different thread:

We have 8-9 jets in the presidential fleet-one of them can be used to evacuate Nigerians. Air Peace will not smell North American airspace until Allen Onyema turns himself in and defends the charges against him.
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Arewa1408: 10:52pm On May 17, 2020
isthatso:

The minute you are paying then legally it is no longer an evacuation but a commercial flight

Are you the one making the rules and defining what this is? Its sickening when you have no knowledge of a matter but you still want to argue by force by fire. Ok listen and learn, again this is an evacuation. You pay only if you have money if you don't have money you complete a promissory note, ie "Promise to pay". You are being taken to your country of origin because of a Pandemic... an emergency evacuation.
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Arewa1408: 10:56pm On May 17, 2020
ntyce:

I still see if from a commercial view, Airpeace will be rewarded for the transaction.
Had it been it was the Nig Airforce, we can say it's on humanitarian grounds.

Nigerian Airforce does not have commercial planes big enough to evacuate en masse. This is a planned evacuation. Always support your govt and Country. Why should you go to Addis Ababa first when ure going to Nigeria? Also, why should Canada insist on using Ethiopian Airlines when Nigeria Govt said we want to use Airpeace and the citizens are Nigerians?
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Nobody: 11:16pm On May 17, 2020
Arewa1408:

Nigerian Airforce does not have commercial planes big enough to evacuate en masse. This is a planned evacuation. Always support your govt and Country. Why should you go to Addis Ababa first when ure going to Nigeria? Also, why should Canada insist on using Ethiopian Airlines when Nigeria Govt said we want to use Airpeace and the citizens are Nigerians?
Air Peace is likely banned from North American airspace for now . The owner is a wanted fugitive, that stands to benefit from the evacuation.
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Nobody: 11:55pm On May 17, 2020
Arewa1408:

Are you the one making the rules and defining what this is? Its sickening when you have no knowledge of a matter but you still want to argue by force by fire. Ok listen and learn, again this is an evacuation. You pay only if you have money if you don't have money you complete a promissory note, ie "Promise to pay". You are being taken to your country of origin because of a Pandemic... an emergency evacuation.

and promisory note is not a commercial contract between 2 parties? Do you understand what commercial is?

Nigerian try to sound intelligent but end up making asses of themselves. Whether you buy a service with cash or on credit you have entered into a commercial transaction.

note the highlighted part and dont bother thanking me for the free education.

A promissory note, sometimes referred to as a note payable, is a legal instrument (more particularly, a financial instrument and a debt instrument), in which one party (the maker or issuer) promises in writing to pay a determinate sum of money to the other (the payee), either at a fixed or determinable future time or on demand of the payee, under specific terms.

According to 18 USCS § 31, term "used for commercial purposes" means the carriage of persons or property for any fare, fee, rate, charge or other consideration, or directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit.

Educate yourself on layman's use of the word "evacuation" and legal use of the term "evacuation". This flight might in the layman's language be termed an "evacuation flight" but for legal purposes it is a commercial flight because passengers are paying for the privilege even if it is on credit.
You just admitted some pay and admitted others pay on credit yet you are there arguing like a fool!!!1 A promissory note is a legal debt instrument, therefore this is a commercial flight.
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Arewa1408: 12:27am On May 18, 2020
isthatso:

and promisory note is not a commercial contract between 2 parties? Do you understand what commercial is?

Nigerian try to sound intelligent but end up making asses of themselves. Whether you buy a service with cash or on credit you have entered into a commercial transaction.

note the highlighted part and dont bother thanking me for the free education.

A promissory note, sometimes referred to as a note payable, is a legal instrument (more particularly, a financial instrument and a debt instrument), in which one party (the maker or issuer) promises in writing to pay a determinate sum of money to the other (the payee), either at a fixed or determinable future time or on demand of the payee, under specific terms.

According to 18 USCS § 31, term "used for commercial purposes" means the carriage of persons or property for any fare, fee, rate, charge or other consideration, or directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit.

Educate yourself on layman's use of the word "evacuation" and legal use of the term "evacuation". This flight might in the layman's language be termed an "evacuation flight" but for legal purposes it is a commercial flight because passengers are paying for the privilege even if it is on credit. A promissory note is a legal debt instrument, therefore this is a commercial flight.

Chairman, what are you saying? Do you understand the crux of the matter? Can you use a promissory note to buy flight ticket ? This is an evacuation. You are being taken home weather you have money or not, it doesn't matter, we will settle it in Nigeria. Even if you get to Nigeria and you say, i don reach house i no get shishi, they cant do you anything, they will just record it and leave you and your wahala. Note the argument again - We have Nigerians in Canada that needs to be evacuated back to Nigeria. Nigeria Govt engaged its own air worthy Nigerian local commercial flight carrier to evacuate its citizens. Now Canadian High commision is saying Air Peace is not a commercial flight registered in Canada and should not be airlifting Nigerians instead they, Canada engaged Ethiopian Airlines a registered commercial airline. Now we, Nigerian Govt is telling them and i am telling you, that this is not an ongoing commercial business of Passengers booking flights. This is an evacuation and its not Canadian govt Business if we send Chanchangi or Okadaair or Molue plane even, as long as its airworthy and all the IATA certificates are in order. FYI, a friend was evacuated from Nigeria to DC three weeks ago. It was a plane, not a commercial Plane like AA or Delta or United, it was just a plane. Its people like you that allow Africans take nonsense from these westerners. I guarantee you, if Israeli Govt had sent AirPeace to Canada to Evacuate its citizens, they will not say Jack. If i seize your Nigerian passport now, you will say i am wicked.
Re: New Twist In Evacuation Of Nigerians From Canada by Nobody: 1:01am On May 18, 2020
Arewa1408:

Chairman, what are you saying? Do you understand the crux of the matter? Can you use a promissory note to buy flight ticket ? This is an evacuation. You are being taken home weather you have money or not, it doesn't matter, we will settle it in Nigeria. Even if you get to Nigeria and you say, i don reach house i no get shishi, they cant do you anything, they will just record it and leave you and your wahala. Note the argument again - We have Nigerians in Canada that needs to be evacuated back to Nigeria. Nigeria Govt engaged its own air worthy Nigerian local commercial flight carrier to evacuate its citizens. Now Canadian High commision is saying Air Peace is not a commercial flight registered in Canada and should not be airlifting Nigerians instead they, Canada engaged Ethiopian Airlines a registered commercial airline. Now we, Nigerian Govt is telling them and i am telling you, that this is not an ongoing commercial business of Passengers booking flights. This is an evacuation and its not Canadian govt Business if we send Chanchangi or Okadaair or Molue plane even, as long as its airworthy and all the IATA certificates are in order. FYI, a friend was evacuated from Nigeria to DC three weeks ago. It was a plane, not a commercial Plane like AA or Delta or United, it was just a plane. Its people like you that allow Africans take nonsense from these westerners. I guarantee you, if Israeli Govt had sent AirPeace to Canada to Evacuate its citizens, they will not say Jack. If i seize your Nigerian passport now, you will say i am wicked.

The problem with Nigerians is they think because they went to school and can speak English they are enlightened or intelligent. Education does not mean either. You are talking jibberish. A commercial flight is a commercial flight and commercial rules apply end of story. The minute you enter into a contract to pay for your fare, whether now in cash or later, you have entered into a legally binding commercial transaction...end of story. If there is a crash or loss suffered. The matter will be determined under the laws of commerce not humanitarian relief. If you like call it what you want evacuation or humanitarian relief flight.....story, legally this a commercial flight and commercial rules apply.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Vehicles Stuck In Giant Pothole Full Of Water In Agege Pencinema (Video) / Lady Refuses To Alight And Apologize After Bashing A Man's Car At Lagos Island / Driver Of Trailer Who Crushed Students To Death In Lagos Has Been Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.