Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! - Family (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! (61857 Views)

After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy / Nigerian Man Celebrates As He Becomes A Father After 18 Years Of Marriage / "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Fulcrum15: 10:06am On May 30, 2020
adontcare:
just as u are mad.
No!! Only you dey craze abeg. Nah ur badge of dishonor.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Fulcrum15: 10:08am On May 30, 2020
Temidayo9:

With the way you reacted here, it shows you also suffering from excessive drug intake. Watch yourself Couse you are already a product of failed home. Be careful
Mtheeeeew!!! slowpoke.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Kobojunkie: 5:12am On May 31, 2020
star4ever:
I have a 42 year old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason. Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.
@OP, have you heard of a plant called Ibogaine. Over the years, I have read and heard several good things about its a psychotropic plant used in the treatment of addictions, and some mental illnesses. It can be used to help patients kick addictions of the drug kind- heroin, opioid, alcohol, etc,.
Ibogaine is a naturally occurring psychoactive substance found in plants in the family Apocynaceae such as Tabernanthe iboga, Voacanga africana, and Tabernaemontana undulata.[3] It is a psychedelic with dissociative properties.

THE TABERNANTHE IBOGA SHRUB. IMAGE VIA JASEN

Preliminary research indicates that it may help with drug addiction;[3] however, there is a lack of clinical research.[4] Its use has been associated with serious side effects and death. Between the years 1990 and 2008, a total of 19 fatalities temporally associated with the ingestion of ibogaine were reported, from which six subjects died of acute heart failure or cardiopulmonary arrest. The total number of subjects who have used it without major side effects during this period remains unknown.[3] It is used as an alternative medicine treatment for drug addiction in some countries. Its prohibition in other countries has slowed scientific research.[5] Ibogaine is also used to facilitate psychological introspection and spiritual exploration. Derivatives of ibogaine that lack the substance's psychedelic properties (such as 18-MC) are under clinical trials for,[6] have been shown to be neither psychedelic nor psychoactive,[7] and have a positive safety profile in humans.[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibogaine
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Kobojunkie: 5:12am On May 31, 2020
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Kobojunkie: 7:11am On May 31, 2020
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bjj9x4/this-psychedelic-drug-targets-addiction-and-depression

This Psychedelic Drug Targets Addiction and Depression
[b]Ibogaine is a naturally occurring compound in plants from the Apocynaceae family and is best known via the iboga plant of west central Africa. [/b]French explorers first recorded its usage amongst peoples in modern Gabon in the mid-19th century, although locals have used it in rituals for centuries. To this day, up to 300,000 Gabonese use ground iboga as part of Bwiti, a malleable set of socio-spiritual practices.

"It's used as a right of passage, a socially binding ritual, and for what we would describe as forms of mental illness," says Dimitri Mungianis, an American who considers himself a Bwiti spiritual practitioner and believes in the value of iboga and ibogaine for a variety of therapeutic uses. "They won't touch anybody we would describe as schizophrenic," but they do use it to treat what we would call anxiety or depression—what they would call spells or curses.

As early as the 1930s, French pharmacists developed ibogaine as a drug. They sold it as Lambaréné, a stimulant—in low doses, the substance's hallucinogenic potential can be negligible, but it knocks back fatigue. Lambaréné stayed on the shelves until France declared it illegal in the 1960s. Meanwhile therapists, especially in the '50s and '60s, probed the substance as a possible antidepressive tool. Around the same time, researchers also explored its potential to modulate the analgesic effects of the opioid morphine for pain management.

This Psychedelic Drug Targets Addiction and Depression

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. / Nigerian Lady Advises Married Men To Have Regular Sex With Wives To Stop Nagging / Meet Monica Okoye With 12 Children, 36 Grandchildren, 43 Great Grandchildren

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.