Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! - Family (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! (61916 Views)

After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy / Nigerian Man Celebrates As He Becomes A Father After 18 Years Of Marriage / "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by prettysassygirl(f): 8:21pm On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
God is not mocked. What a man/ woman sow, that they will reap. Ask ur mum and dad what they did wrong. There must be something evil they had done that is affecting ur 42 yr brother. The bible said, train up a child in d way that he should grow and when he is old he will not depart from it. They where sparing the rod on him and now spoilt
Your Christianity is so warped. May the Lord have mercy on you

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
tongue. Y r u so bitter? It is well with ur soul. Take a little honey

You darling, have zero honey inside you. None at all. Not empathetic, not respectful, not kind. The OP respectfully warned you off her thread, but no, you had to come back like a cricket, dancing on every mention you received, all in a bid to have the last word. Meanwhile you were/are wrong.
This shows the kind of person you are.
Real shame.
Continue.

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 19, 2020
Omijin:
Talking from experience, I don't think this thing as to do with anything like spirit. From my experience, one major cause of drug use is idleness, I have observed that when ever I sit for a long time doing nothing, the Sweet memory of how good I will feel if only I take some dose. Another thing to ask him is, what led him to using drug, everybody into drug, something pushed pushed them into it. It could be one challenge he was facing, to find a solution to that problem, he probably went to different people seeking advice and maybe one person suggested the drug aspect to him and he tried it and the thing made sense to him then. I have a reason for using the I'm using. But the reason I'm now using the drug now is not what led me into it but because my body now needs it to function normal. Your brother case is too bad, his probably into combination of drugs, using several different drugs at a time. If his one particular drug, he won't be that bad.I have been into this is thing for 9 years, you can never notice it in my behavior. If don't tell you, you can't know. I use just one particular drug though in much quantity. I promised not had any other one nothing even alcohol. When ever me and my friends go out, they go for their brands I settled for malt or coke, they will be like what is this but I didn't allow that to shake me. Use of drug is bad whether one or combination. That is why I always try my best not to introduce anybody into it. When I read some comments here I laugh. Some people said chain him, some said take him for deliverance. You can never understand if you have not been there. From my experience the best way to stop, is to reduce the dosage gradually till the brain can function well without it. 85% of ppl in drug wants to stop but its is very tough to do. Me I want to stop. What I'm doing is reducing the dosage. Normally I take 450mg a day, now I take 150mg but I will have to combine with ibuprofen to make it more effective. I think I'm making progress. Anybody that is advicing a person into drug to stop it totally at once is a killer. The person will cause more problem than solution. Its almost impossible to do without replacement. Cutting down the dosage and getting active all the time will bring much improvement. I pray I'm able to stop it totally one day.

I wish you miracles and healing kiss
The bolded is especially sad. Keeping your dependence and or addiction a secret is not the best. Share your challenges and efforts with someone. Let them help you any way you want. You have insight and want to quit so your case is 1/3 solved. Seek professional help too. It is the most important step to take in this journey.
While planning the above, check out YouTube videos of how people beat their addictions.
I will be rooting for you, cheers.

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by homesteady(m): 9:16pm On May 19, 2020
Omijin:
Talking from experience, I don't think this thing as to do with anything like spirit. From my experience, one major cause of drug use is idleness, I have observed that when ever I sit for a long time doing nothing, the Sweet memory of how good I will feel if only I take some dose. Another thing to ask him is, what led him to using drug, everybody into drug, something pushed pushed them into it. It could be one challenge he was facing, to find a solution to that problem, he probably went to different people seeking advice and maybe one person suggested the drug aspect to him and he tried it and the thing made sense to him then. I have a reason for using the I'm using. But the reason I'm now using the drug now is not what led me into it but because my body now needs it to function normal. Your brother case is too bad, his probably into combination of drugs, using several different drugs at a time. If his one particular drug, he won't be that bad.I have been into this is thing for 9 years, you can never notice it in my behavior. If don't tell you, you can't know. I use just one particular drug though in much quantity. I promised not had any other one nothing even alcohol. When ever me and my friends go out, they go for their brands I settled for malt or coke, they will be like what is this but I didn't allow that to shake me. Use of drug is bad whether one or combination. That is why I always try my best not to introduce anybody into it. When I read some comments here I laugh. Some people said chain him, some said take him for deliverance. You can never understand if you have not been there. From my experience the best way to stop, is to reduce the dosage gradually till the brain can function well without it. 85% of ppl in drug wants to stop but its is very tough to do. Me I want to stop. What I'm doing is reducing the dosage. Normally I take 450mg a day, now I take 150mg but I will have to combine with ibuprofen to make it more effective. I think I'm making progress. Anybody that is advicing a person into drug to stop it totally at once is a killer. The person will cause more problem than solution. Its almost impossible to do without replacement. Cutting down the dosage and getting active all the time will bring much improvement. I pray I'm able to stop it totally one day.

Sending love and light your way Bro! You will definitely conquer it.

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by homesteady(m): 9:19pm On May 19, 2020
Wow!! This will be very difficult. A 40 something year old man.

I suggest you take him for another rehabilitation, because the truth is that he is a "nuisance" that you can't do away with. He can't be driven out of the house because he will still come back. It's so sad.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
yes. And it's a big yes. Foundation of upbringing matters
You got it wrong dear. I could remember while in school, our psychology lecturer asked us to argue this proposition "nurture and not not nature is responsible for the behavioural modification of a man." and we argued both sides with valid points. You have forgotten that there are a lot of things that can easily influence someone. Many children have given their parents BP because they could not yield to their parents instructions. Good parenting is good but that alone may not help. Pray that God should help. If you attribute every bad behaviour in a child to his parents, I think it's a wrong notion. parents can't follow their children everywhere they go.

3 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by raphy(m): 10:03pm On May 19, 2020
my advice as a legend on here is for them to try to re admit him in the psychiatric hospital .I.know it won't be easy .but thy can inject him to deep sleep when he is sleeping.like strong guys hold his hands and leg and hamd cuff him to. a bed then they give him the injection that will.make him sleep for like 1hour.

am not a Dr or medical student i just share my own sense of treating a mad person.

I hop am helpful

may God bring him back to his right senses amen.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 10:42pm On May 19, 2020
prettysassygirl:

Your Christianity is so warped. May the Lord have mercy on you
and also on u greater mercy u need
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 10:46pm On May 19, 2020
merahki:

You darling, have zero honey inside you. None at all. Not empathetic, not respectful, not kind. The OP respectfully warned you off her thread, but no, you had to come back like a cricket, dancing on every mention you received, all in a bid to have the last word. Meanwhile you were/are wrong.
This shows the kind of person you are.
Real shame.
Continue.
well as u stated, u had to mention me while waltzing like a cockroach all in a bid to prove u can insult. This also shows d kind of person u r. Shame on u. Tueh
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 10:55pm On May 19, 2020
atoleybaba:
at all, na her type they think say everybody Dy plot evil against her hence she must call fire on them to consume them. God is really a patient God ooo. If not, who knows, God for don clear am comot for bringing reproach to his name
not true though. But d spiritual control d physical. Keep wailing in ignorance.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 10:57pm On May 19, 2020
drfav:

You have nothing to say..I suggest you shut the *uck up..one of my cousins actually has the same issue the Op's brother has..I once stayed in their house and I can tell you his parents gave us the best family upbringing anybody can have..they are even pastors..infact at a point this same cousin of mine was a Sunday school teacher before he gained admission into the university and joined some bad groups. The point I am driving at here is that most times it's not really about the parent but about the child, your parents can only do their bits, the bulk of the work lies on the child..Biko don't bring the man's parent into this..may you not have a child that be like this ooo..that's when you will know that it's usually not the parents fault..
hmmm.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 11:00pm On May 19, 2020
raphy:
my advice as a legend on here is for them to try to re admit him in the psychiatric hospital .I.know it won't be easy .but thy can inject him to deep sleep when he is sleeping.like strong guys hold his hands and leg and hamd cuff him to. a bed then they give him the injection that will.make him sleep for like 1hour.

am not a Dr or medical student i just share my own sense of treating a mad person.

I hop am helpful

may God bring him back to his right senses amen.

Amen!
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 11:01pm On May 19, 2020
sad
homesteady:
Wow!! This will be very difficult. A 40 something year old man.

I suggest you take him for another rehabilitation, because the truth is that he is a "nuisance" that you can't do away with. He can't be driven out of the house because he will still come back. It's so sad.

sad
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 11:04pm On May 19, 2020
iamloyalty:

From ur foolish and wicked comments here is obvious ur parents failed in ur upbringing. May they not reap what they sowed from u
it's obvious now that u lack proper upbringing. May ur parents reap the evil they have sown from u too. Amen
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Lillysbee: 11:13pm On May 19, 2020
Hi to traditional homes

They are more reliable. Sometimes.
star4ever:
I have a 42 year old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason. Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.

We have organised prayer sessions by powerful men of God, nothing has happened yet. I do want to sound like someone without faith. I strongly believe that our able God will make things beautiful at His time. However, the situation has gone out of control and we need to act fast.

These, amongst many, are some of the interventions already done by the family and we cannot fold our arms and watch people mock us in shame every day due to his abnormal activities in the community.

Now what he does is forcefully, take money from our aged mum, sell any family property at sight in exchange for money to buy his drugs. Beat my mum up at any slightest refusal to give him money. He has been jailed many times for committing several offences related to this habit, yet the problem persists. Maybe we have not applied the best approach?

I am calling on fellow Nairalanders to assist with solutions. I believe there are some of us here who may have experienced this problem in one way or the other, or have an advise to give to solve this lingering painful situation. Your personal or professional experience (s) may go a long way in salvaging this situation for us.

I believe a problem shared is a problem solved.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Lillysbee: 11:13pm On May 19, 2020
Go to traditional homes

They are more reliable. Sometimes.
star4ever:
I have a 42 year old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason. Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.

We have organised prayer sessions by powerful men of God, nothing has happened yet. I do want to sound like someone without faith. I strongly believe that our able God will make things beautiful at His time. However, the situation has gone out of control and we need to act fast.

These, amongst many, are some of the interventions already done by the family and we cannot fold our arms and watch people mock us in shame every day due to his abnormal activities in the community.

Now what he does is forcefully, take money from our aged mum, sell any family property at sight in exchange for money to buy his drugs. Beat my mum up at any slightest refusal to give him money. He has been jailed many times for committing several offences related to this habit, yet the problem persists. Maybe we have not applied the best approach?

I am calling on fellow Nairalanders to assist with solutions. I believe there are some of us here who may have experienced this problem in one way or the other, or have an advise to give to solve this lingering painful situation. Your personal or professional experience (s) may go a long way in salvaging this situation for us.

I believe a problem shared is a problem solved.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Fulcrum15: 11:14pm On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
na mad man know who mad really
That means u re mad!!! Bravo..

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Fulcrum15: 11:16pm On May 19, 2020
Temidayo9:

With the way you reacted here, it shows you also suffering from excessive drug intake. Watch yourself Couse you are already a product of failed home. Be careful
I pity your life. You ve been condemned yo die in ignorance...
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 11:17pm On May 19, 2020
Fulcrum15:

That means u re mad!!! Bravo..
just as u are mad.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by atoleybaba(m): 11:21pm On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
not true though. But d spiritual control d physical. Keep wailing in ignorance.
what bible portion says that?

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 11:26pm On May 19, 2020
atoleybaba:
what bible portion says that?
Ephesians 6:12 for we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers, against wickedness in high places.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 11:28pm On May 19, 2020
Temidayo9:

With the way you reacted here, it shows you also suffering from excessive drug intake. Watch yourself Couse you are already a product of failed home. Be careful
it's obvious he is a drug addict

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by adontcare(f): 11:34pm On May 19, 2020
Read this comment from a nairalander. And meditate on it.
grin grin
1.I think a lot African parents ( mothers in particular), tend to treat their sons as mini-kings who can do no wrong in their eyes. This is where the culture of Male entitlement starts from; the upbringing. The boys grow up with a sense of superiority that somehow absolves them of certain responsibilities.

2. Staying in toxic relationships for the children. In many cases,the children end-up worse off psychologically ,than kids coming out of two healthy parents living separately.

3. The "if Kevin can do it ,you can do it too ".mentality. you have a lot of parents who see the neighbour's kid doing well selling bread ,& they start pushing their own children towards that trade or career without assisting them in what they are really good at so that they too can be a shining example in their own right. You see the results of this in many African markets ,everyone sells the samethings ,hardly will you find people who produce the products or selling something that is not readily available.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by atoleybaba(m): 12:07am On May 20, 2020
adontcare:
Ephesians 6:12 for we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers, against wickedness in high places.
if only u read the whole chapter u would not have been misquoting that portion....the chapter urged u to put on the complete suit of armour....Satan will do everything to make you turn away from God. He will use different scheme to manipulate you including FALSE teaching....that is what that verse meant u should stand firm cos just like Jesus was tempted and suffered, his followers will also...Infact if u read verses 13 downward it talks about wearing the complete suit of armour and described each and every part of it and what it takes to fight this fight with ur "principality and power"...from being righteous to being ready to keep declaring the goodnews and also praying that Paul can keep declaring the truth even tho the government and the devil doesn't want him to. But you won't read the complete chapter, u will only pick what suit u forgetting that the verse u picked sef talked about not only the evil sports trying to stop God word and his people but also world government

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Speed123: 2:38am On May 20, 2020
adontcare:
God is not mocked. What a man/ woman sow, that they will reap. Ask ur mum and dad what they did wrong. There must be something evil they had done that is affecting ur 42 yr brother. The bible said, train up a child in d way that he should grow and when he is old he will not depart from it. They where sparing the rod on him and now spoilt

Which God are you refering to?
So when something bad happens to a child you assume God is punishing the child because of the parents sins.
How can a God who has long forgiven your sins by dying on the cross go to punish an innocent person?
My advice they should loose or give up hope on him, keep believing and praying for him, take him back for treatment and rehabilitation.
And remember that most times God shows up when we have exhausted our options, I see God restoring your brother back to normal.

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by tot(f): 10:31am On May 20, 2020
[s]
adontcare:
Read this comment from a nairalander. And meditate on it.
grin grin
1.I think a lot African parents ( mothers in particular), tend to treat their sons as mini-kings who can do no wrong in their eyes. This is where the culture of Male entitlement starts from; the upbringing. The boys grow up with a sense of superiority that somehow absolves them of certain responsibilities.

2. Staying in toxic relationships for the children. In many cases,the children end-up worse off psychologically ,than kids coming out of two healthy parents living separately.

3. The "if Kevin can do it ,you can do it too ".mentality. you have a lot of parents who see the neighbour's kid doing well selling bread ,& they start pushing their own children towards that trade or career without assisting them in what they are really good at so that they too can be a shining example in their own right. You see the results of this in many African markets ,everyone sells the samethings ,hardly will you find people who produce the products or selling something that is not readily available.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by oluphemmxzy(m): 11:02am On May 20, 2020
Sorry for everything you ve passed through, if u won't say may own advice is childish ......after u ve done medical or whatever mean.. It's time to turn to God, He has done it bfr and he will do it again. Go to any RCCG headquarters church close to u, tell them your problem,make sure u meet with the head pastor there.... Tell him u want the head pastor to help u schedule an appointment with the GO, if u re persistent, within a week... U should be contacted by the G.O ,maybe u will be giving address to go or redemption camp. Then if ur brother is not coping, just pay soldier 5k to help u bundle him to where to met Adeboye, I hope it will end in praise..... Pls don't ignore ur bro!

Bro, pls try what I suggest or u message Adeboye son on instagram, he is very active there.... Bless u and ur family
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by kayourcome: 1:19pm On May 20, 2020
Guy.. please grand cockroaches like 2 inside his alcohol and give it him to drink. Trust me, he will never go back to drinking.. he will vomit after taken it and whenever he wants to go back to drink, it will smell him off. Trust God on this
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by itzdeejay: 7:29am On May 21, 2020
star4ever:

Our worry is that his situation has brought the family's name to disrepute going by his insane behavior. Otherwise, the family would have moved on since.

Is that what your family should be worried about?
What about his life and happiness?
What if this is the life he wants and love to live?
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by MrPRevailer(m): 11:06am On May 25, 2020
@star4ever I came across this article in my favourite website and sort to reachout to you. Have a nice day! wink

https://www.naturalnews.com/2020-05-24-top-10-excuses-not-quitting-nicotine-and-one-natural-remedy.html

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by dandan280: 5:53pm On May 25, 2020
I think the only way out of this problem is not trying to take him out of drugs completely (I think it's impossible and only a miracle will do it) but to either find a replacement to the drugs he abuses i.e to a milder one or reduce the portion he takes gradually till the effect of the drugs in him becomes greatly reduced

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Usorohtheman(m): 6:27pm On May 25, 2020
Op, try to find out the people he takes the drug with or the person he buys the drugs from. Make friends with them and talk to them about your brother. They are the only ones that can talk to him. And also, he will start reducing his intake.

Now, be more closer to him now than before. You can even get him some of the drugs too. But he should take it around the house or when you are with him and there and then, use an indirect method to tell him about how the drug is affecting him. I think he needs a companion that understands him. Be that companion. Don't be hard on him please.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Advises Married Men To Have Regular Sex With Wives To Stop Nagging / Meet Monica Okoye With 12 Children, 36 Grandchildren, 43 Great Grandchildren / Baby Squeezes Face In Video After Tasting Something Bitter For The First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.