Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,414 members, 7,836,662 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers (2522 Views)

Kano State Government Constructs Fountain On Site Of Demolished Monument. / Rivers Converts Site Of Demolished Hotel To Primary School / Promise Gogorodari: Owner Of Demolished Prudent Hotel In Rivers, Speaks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by talk2archy: 9:38am On May 19, 2020
A magistrates’ court in Port Harcourt has convicted and fined the owner and manager of demolished Prodest Hotel in Eleme, Gogorobari Needam and Bariledum Azoroh N50,000 for contravening the State Executive Order on COVID-19.

Although Needam was not present in court, the court ordered that Azoroh should be quarantined at the isolation centre in Yakubu Gowon Stadium, Elekahia for 14 days to ascertain his coronavirus status.

Senior magistrate, Rita Oguguo, who delivered the judgement yesterday, said the accused violated Governor Nyesom Wike’s executive order on closure of hotels in the state, saying the accused violated paragraph 3 and 4 of the executive order number 7.

Before his sentence, Azoroh had insisted on seeing his counsel, Godwin Awi, who was absence in court due to his inability to get a pass that allowed access the court due to continued lockdown of Port Harcourt and Obio-Akpor council areas.

pass that allowed access the court due to continued lockdown of Port Harcourt and Obio-Akpor council areas.

He lamented that in spite of the plea by his client to get his counsel to defend him, the court went ahead to convict him, adding,

“With what has happened, it is clear that there are other underlying issues that probably we do not know.

“I do not agree with everything that has transpired today in line with the fact that the Constitution is clear as to the issue of right to counsel, adequate time and facility for an accused person standing trial to defend himself.”

Meanwhile, Deputy Governor of Rivers State, Mrs. Ipalibo Harry Banigo has dismissed insinuations that Governor Wike was sidelining her in the fight against COVID-19 and implementation of other state government’s programmes and policies.

Banigo, a public health expert, said the statement from the Centre for Public Trust (CPT) in which it asked Governor Wike to stop sidelining her was done in bad faith.

In a statement issued by her spokesperson, Owupele Benebo, the deputy governor said she would have ignored the group, but that it was important to set the records straight so that Rivers people and the larger society would not be made to believe the falsehood that Wike had relegated her to the background.

1 Like

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by BranddesignerH: 9:39am On May 19, 2020
No wa Oo
This COVID 19 sef

I hope they remember this man is not the cause of Covid19

1 Like

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by Rahyberg(m): 9:39am On May 19, 2020
Can someone please give me the summary?
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by Nobody: 9:42am On May 19, 2020
Hmn too bad.
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by otokx(m): 9:46am On May 19, 2020
convicted without a lawyer, is that fair representation?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by PowerOfLove: 9:53am On May 19, 2020
Rahyberg:

I'm an Engineering student.

What is about engineering student?

1 Like

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by MrALIVE: 10:09am On May 19, 2020
A magistrate court is one court that needs to be scrapped...Politicians now use it to abuse the rule of law.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by GamalNasser: 10:15am On May 19, 2020
Useless magistrate court .Wike taking steps to protect himself from legal action but he must pay for that hotel in the future ..This verdict came after Wike had destroyed the hotels

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by Bennnny: 10:45am On May 19, 2020
I'm sori for doin this pls.
I'm teachin in a private skul in d country,nd my colleagues nd i hv not bn paid since d inception of this lockdown due to the corvid-19 pandemic.

Gettin a menial job has bn difficult due to d curfew.
pls nairalanders any amount will b appreciated cos i hv no food stuff left.
I can even pay back wen normalcy returns.

Sterling Bank

1 Like

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by OlujobaSamuel: 11:23am On May 19, 2020
Conviction after sentencing Took suspect to court after killing him.
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by seunlayi(m): 11:27am On May 19, 2020
That is settled and a warning to others

1 Like

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by allthingsgood: 11:30am On May 19, 2020
Rahyberg:

Gov Wike ordered court to convict the owner of the demolished hotel and also lock him up in isolation center. And the Magistrate did just that
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by allthingsgood: 11:31am On May 19, 2020
seunlayi:
That is settled and a warning to others

Hope u will say the same thing when buhari gives his own orders

3 Likes

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by suremanpatriot: 11:32am On May 19, 2020
this wil pass but wike wil die in eternal grief for victimizin his critics.buhari wil soon order wike's isolation in cemetary.
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by jidamsel43(m): 11:47am On May 19, 2020
This is well delivered judgement. Nobody is above the law . The hotel owner should pay the fine while the Governor, Nyesom Wike, rebuild the hotel and equip it for the owner. The punishment for the offence is never a demolition of the property. Once the man has fulfilled court obligations, he can institute a court case against the government.
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by BanevsJoker(m): 11:54am On May 19, 2020
Double jeopardy.
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by michlins(m): 12:19pm On May 19, 2020
Hypocrisy is when you celebrate Wike and his acts but criticize Buhari for same. How can you convict someone without the legal requirement of having an attorney present. Who does that?

Just like Buhari bought the judgement that made him president, that's Wike bought this one too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by Karemarealty288(m): 12:31pm On May 19, 2020
talk2archy:
A magistrates’ court in Port Harcourt has convicted and fined the owner and manager of demolished Prodest Hotel in Eleme, Gogorobari Needam and Bariledum Azoroh N50,000 for contravening the State Executive Order on COVID-19.

Although Needam was not present in court, the court ordered that Azoroh should be quarantined at the isolation centre in Yakubu Gowon Stadium, Elekahia for 14 days to ascertain his coronavirus status.

Senior magistrate, Rita Oguguo, who delivered the judgement yesterday, said the accused violated Governor Nyesom Wike’s executive order on closure of hotels in the state, saying the accused violated paragraph 3 and 4 of the executive order number 7.

Before his sentence, Azoroh had insisted on seeing his counsel, Godwin Awi, who was absence in court due to his inability to get a pass that allowed access the court due to continued lockdown of Port Harcourt and Obio-Akpor council areas.

pass that allowed access the court due to continued lockdown of Port Harcourt and Obio-Akpor council areas.

He lamented that in spite of the plea by his client to get his counsel to defend him, the court went ahead to convict him, adding,

“With what has happened, it is clear that there are other underlying issues that probably we do not know.

“I do not agree with everything that has transpired today in line with the fact that the Constitution is clear as to the issue of right to counsel, adequate time and facility for an accused person standing trial to defend himself.”

Meanwhile, Deputy Governor of Rivers State, Mrs. Ipalibo Harry Banigo has dismissed insinuations that Governor Wike was sidelining her in the fight against COVID-19 and implementation of other state government’s programmes and policies.

Banigo, a public health expert, said the statement from the Centre for Public Trust (CPT) in which it asked Governor Wike to stop sidelining her was done in bad faith.

In a statement issued by her spokesperson, Owupele Benebo, the deputy governor said she would have ignored the group, but that it was important to set the records straight so that Rivers people and the larger society would not be made to believe the falsehood that Wike had relegated her to the background.

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by Atomemmy(m): 1:07pm On May 19, 2020
Chai

This's very bad. Was destroying his hotel not enough punishment and heartbreak?
Wike, you went to far in this. But all this is the cause of sis. Coro. Sis.coro has really done a lot of damages in our country.

Our elders says: We should be cautious of the things we do, for one day we shall give account.
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by Nobody: 1:20pm On May 19, 2020
Fake medicine after death. That's all I read here
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by Throwback: 1:31pm On May 19, 2020
I thought the court would also backdate a penalty of demolished building as part of he penalty for such conviction?

Even the hotel owner that was in Lagos was also convicted?

Wike is running around aimlessly like a headless chicken.

When will they bury the "dead" task force member that was seen sharing palliatives from Rivers State government days after the alleged assault happened?

1 Like

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by Egalitarian1: 2:04pm On May 19, 2020
I see
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:41pm On May 19, 2020

Is what I am reading real or a joke?

This is nothing short of a criminal justice system.

Tried without a lawyer when he has one. Wike bending the law to suit him.
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by kleverley(m): 3:09pm On May 19, 2020
They don feast on this one, on top all him destroyed assets. Chaii

1 Like

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by seanfer(m): 3:53pm On May 19, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Is what I am reading real or a joke?

This is nothing short of a criminal justice system.

Tried without a lawyer when he has one. Wike bending the law to suit him.

Seems like you don’t know Wike. He is so arrogant and dictatorial in nature.

1 Like

Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by seanfer(m): 3:55pm On May 19, 2020
2 hotels were demolished how come it is only one owner that is charged to court? Governor Wike should know that 2023 is around the corner and he will become one of us.
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by Staro: 3:56pm On May 19, 2020
OP
Where's your source ?
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by otokx(m): 4:34pm On May 19, 2020
It is being discussed in most radio stations in Port Harcourt today.
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:42pm On May 19, 2020
Staro:
OP
Where's your source ?
Court convicts owner, manager of demolished hotel in Rivers

https://t.guardian.ng/news/court-convicts-owner-manager-of-demolished-hotel-in-rivers/
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by edoairways: 4:46pm On May 19, 2020
MrALIVE:
A magistrate court is one court that needs to be scrapped...Politicians now use it to abuse the rule of law.
Magistrate court can not be scrapped. That one acclaimed politician sued a person without fair hearing doesn't mean it should
Re: JUST IN!!! Court Convicts Owner, Manager Of Demolished Hotel In Rivers by Afamed: 5:31pm On May 19, 2020
jidamsel43:
This is well delivered judgement. Nobody is above the law . The hotel owner should pay the fine while the Governor, Nyesom Wike, rebuild the hotel and equip it for the owner. The punishment for the offence is never a demolition of the property. Once the man has fulfilled court obligations, he can institute a court case against the government.
I sincerely hope you know the difference between executive order and Nigeria constitution? No executive order supersede Nigeria constitution

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Looks Of 2nd Niger Bridge Photos / Tinubu In Ondo For Akeredolu- We Will Bury PDP , Inform Your Members(video) / Why Is Tinubu Silent In The Ongoing Fracas Between The Yorubas And The Fulanis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.