Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? (2597 Views)

Why Big Brands Advertise On BRT Bus In Lagos – Its Benefits & Costs / Indomie, Maggi, Others Emerge Most Chosen Brands In Nigeria / How To Become A Registered Distributor Of Indomie Noodles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? by SooCute(m): 5:35pm On May 20, 2020
Greetings everyone and i hope this writeup meets expectation.

Information they say gives light; light for direction. This thread seeks insights and advices of whoever may have it; to enlighten me and of course fellow nairalanders on how to become a distributor/dealer of major brands in Nigeria.
I am particular about FMCGs brands like: Dangote (Indomie), Nestle (what my grandmother would call 'Tea'), Beloxxi (biscuit) and others i don´t know.

Having been a Nairalander for some time now, i believe this might be one of those topics we would find okay.

Please!!!

~What does it take to be a dealer/distributor of these brands in Nigeria?
~What are the pros and cons apart from expiry dates and accidents?

Your honest inputs will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? by Trottle: 4:35pm On May 25, 2020
Hi SooCute and others,

Becoming a Distributor for an FMCG company is a great, stable way to invest and get steady income especially in Nigeria. Unlike other volatile industries/sectors, you are assured of steady cash-flow and stability that is increasingly becoming absent in other industries/sectors.

I work for an FMCG company that own well established brands and various products in Nigeria and West Africa, so I talk based on what's obtainable in the industry.

I'll be using our perspective and the Nigerian (West African) context to answer your question, and I'm sure it is most likely the same for other FMCG organizations too. Now to your question. To become a distributor for an FMCG, four major criteria will be considered:

1. Financial Capacity: Do you have the required fiscal resources to stock your warehouse with enough product to serve the market without experiencing major and consistent stock-outs? And as your business grows, you should have the prospect of expanding it and investing an agreed amount of money within an agreed period of time.

2. Logistics: Pertaining to logistics, you need to or be willing to procure a warehouse with an agreed capacity, you need to or be willing to get an office space for the company's manager & Staff.

In addition, you'll need to have a 4-6 staff strength (usually a Van Sales Rep, Market Sales Rep, Account Officer, Operational Manager and Store Keeper) to run the business smoothly. Note: The company will assign a Key Account Executive who will be seeing to the management and day-to-day administration of all your assets (human & material. The 4-6 staff will be managed by the KAE, BUT recruited by you.

Lastly for logistics, you'll need at least 1 bus for delivery and penetrating interior parts of the territory. This is where the VSR comes in.

3. Capability: This means that you need to have basic knowledge of the FMCG industry. It is recommended that you are ambitious. Once the money starts rolling in many distributors become laid back and rest their oars.

4. Business Ethics: Lastly, business ethics. Including the usual and necessary business ethics, you need to also align with the company's value. Also, you should not be one that hoards vital info that could help your business and by extension the company to grow. Some of the info could be; market, sales, credit etc).

Like other businesses, FMCG has pros and cons.
Some of the pros are;
1. You get discounts and rebates
2. Strong presence in the territory and beyond. Which translates to increased revenue.
3. Exclusive rights to sell the brand in the territory
4. Opportunity to control more brands and get juicier offers.
5. Greater buying power.

The major cons I can think of being a distributor may probably be that ;
1. Initial capital outlay could be fairly high.
2. Controlling too many brands in a territory can make you lose (some Distributors control tens and hundreds of brands) focus and pay less attention to growth and brand performance.

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? by WorriorPlus: 8:55pm On May 25, 2020
Quite informative. Thank you.

You Need Woodwork Software? CLICK HERE

1 Like

Re: How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? by Glite2018: 7:45am On May 26, 2020
Trottle:
Hi SooCute and others,

Becoming a Distributor for an FMCG company is a great, stable way to invest and get steady income especially in Nigeria. Unlike other volatile industries/sectors, you are assured of steady cash-flow and stability that is increasingly becoming absent in other industries/sectors.

I work for an FMCG company that own well established brands (SNIPER, PURIT & CARAT) and various products in Nigeria and West Africa, so I talk based on what's obtainable in the industry.

I'll be using our perspective and the Nigerian (West African) context to answer your question, and I'm sure it is most likely the same for other FMCG organizations too. Now to your question. To become a distributor for an FMCG, four major criteria will be considered:

1. Financial Capacity: Do you have the required fiscal resources to stock your warehouse with enough product to serve the market without experiencing major and consistent stock-outs? And as your business grows, you should have the prospect of expanding it and investing an agreed amount of money within an agreed period of time.

2. Logistics: Pertaining to logistics, you need to or be willing to procure a warehouse with an agreed capacity, you need to or be willing to get an office space for the company's manager & Staff.

In addition, you'll need to have a 4-6 staff strength (usually a Van Sales Rep, Market Sales Rep, Account Officer, Operational Manager and Store Keeper) to run the business smoothly. Note: The company will assign a Key Account Executive who will be seeing to the management and day-to-day administration of all your assets (human & material. The 4-6 staff will be managed by the KAE, BUT recruited by you.

Lastly for logistics, you'll need at least 1 bus for delivery and penetrating interior parts of the territory. This is where the VSR comes in.

3. Capability: This means that you need to have basic knowledge of the FMCG industry. It is recommended that you are ambitious. Once the money starts rolling in many distributors become laid back and rest their oars.

4. Business Ethics: Lastly, business ethics. Including the usual and necessary business ethics, you need to also align with the company's value. Also, you should not be one that hoards vital info that could help your business and by extension the company to grow. Some of the info could be; market, sales, credit etc).

Some of the pros are;
2. Strong presence in the territory and beyond. Which translates to increased revenue.
5. Greater buying power.

2. Controlling too many brands in a territory can make you lose (some Distributors control tens and hundreds of brands) focus and pay less attention to growth and brand performance.

Note: We are currently expanding and receiving applications for Distributorship of the aforementioned brands (SNIPER, PURIT & CARAT) in Kaduna State. If you are interested in securing distributorship rights, send a mail with the title 'PROSPECTIVE KD' to: ibrahim.abubakar@saroafrica.com

Regards.
Nice1

1 Like

Re: How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? by viktry: 5:56pm On May 26, 2020
You can become a distributor of my farm produce. My farm produce is cucumber. Before the end of the year, we hope to move to watermelon. I'm a farmer. You can sell at 10% commission
Re: How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? by LikeAking: 6:00pm On May 26, 2020
Trottle:
Hi SooCute and others,

I work for an FMCG company that own well established brands (SNIPER, PURIT & CARAT) and various products in Nigeria and West Africa, so I talk based on what's obtainable in the industry.

Some of the pros are;
5. Greater buying power.

Note: We are currently expanding and receiving applications for Distributorship of the aforementioned brands (SNIPER, PURIT & CARAT) in Kaduna State. If you are interested in securing distributorship rights, send a mail with the title 'PROSPECTIVE KD' to: ibrahim.abubakar@saroafrica.com

Regards.

Nice

1 Like

Re: How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? by SooCute(m): 11:00am On May 27, 2020
Thank you @Trottle for your input. I t well recieved.

@Viktry thanks alot. I am not looking at perishable goods.
Re: How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? by Trottle: 12:08pm On Jun 20, 2020
Glite2018:

Nice1

Hello bro, kindly strike out my email from your quote.

Thanks.
Re: How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? by Trottle: 12:08pm On Jun 20, 2020
LikeAking:

Nice

Hello bro, kindly strike out my email from your quote.

Thanks.
Re: How Can I Become A Distributor Of Big Brands In Nigeria? by Mouhstorph5(m): 5:52pm On Jul 08, 2020
Trottle:
Hi SooCute and others,

Some of the pros are;
5. Greater buying power.

[b]Note: We are currently expanding and receiving applications for Distributorship of the aforementioned brands (SNIPER, PURIT & CARAT) in Kaduna State. If you are interested in securing distributorship rights, send me a mail with the title 'PROSPECTIVE KD' .

Regards.

Excellent!!!

(1) (Reply)

My Horrible Experience Opening A Gtbank Domiciliary Account / Hot And Valuable Domain Names - Domainers Business / Top 5 Luxury/low Budget Estates Nigerian Celebrities Invest In Lekki Axis.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.