Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. (4145 Views)

My Dad's Elder Sister's Son's Child Is My What.. Answers Please. / Living With My Married Elder Sister / My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 10:36pm On May 20, 2020
Hi everyone,
I have been having issue with this for a while. I don't know if it is proper to call your wife's elder sister "Aunty" or "Sister so and so" even though you are much older than her.
Can one call such by her name without putting the respective adjective or suffix?

Mature mind pls.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Jullima(f): 10:39pm On May 20, 2020
People are different.

Other family members your age, what do they call her?

You can also ask her how she would like to be called or what prefixes she likes.

My sister-in-law (Igbo) older than me, 10 years, prefers I call her by her first name.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Amotolongbo(f): 10:44pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:
Hi everyone,
I have been having issue with this for a while. I don't know if it is proper to call your wife's elder sister "Aunty" or "Sister so and so" even though you are much older than her.
Can one call such by her name without putting the respective adjective or suffix?

Mature mind pls.
you are from what tribe sir?
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 10:50pm On May 20, 2020
Amotolongbo:
you are from what tribe sir?

Yoruba
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by We4all: 10:54pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:
Hi everyone,

Mature mind pls.

I could recall when a kid called my sister by her first name. My sister snapped and said, "why did you call me by my name"? The kid responded in pidgin saying, "no be your name"?

This made me wonder why people on this continent attach so much importance to a frivolity as 'addressing someone by their first names'.

The truth is, there is nothing wrong if you address her by her first name. But if you don't feel comfortable about it, then suit yourself with what you deem fit.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 10:57pm On May 20, 2020
We4all:

I could recall when a kid called my sister by her first name. My sister snapped and said "why did you call me by my name"? She responded in pidgin saying, "no be your name"?

This made me wonder why people on this continent attach so much importance to a frivolity as 'addressing someone by their first names'.

The truth is, there is nothing wrong if you address her by her first name. But if you don't feel comfortable about it, then suit yourself with what you deem fit.

hhmmmmm. I added a "sister prefix" at the beginning of her name though but it sounds awkward and I want to do the right thing.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Amotolongbo(f): 10:59pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:

Yoruba
ok sir.

Since you are a Yoruba man, I don’t think you should find it so hard respecting her. It is our culture, the respect is embedded in our culture.

“Oro lana o”(in-laws are deities o) and they deserve being respected in our nation o(not Nigeria o, but Yoruba)
Instead of the Aunty iss, you can find a pet name for her or better “iya iyawo mi”.
You have got limited time together to start getting yourself worried on the “e” or “Iwo” or “eyin” approach.

It won’t harm you respecting her as a Yoruba man. It is understandable. Not only the elderly ones deserve respect sir

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Thegoodone13(m): 11:00pm On May 20, 2020
K
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Humanoid01(m): 11:00pm On May 20, 2020
You are older than her, why then should you add a title to her name before you call her? Whether she's your wife's elder sister, it doesn't change that fact. She should be the one addressing you as "brother" lol. Although I don't place much attention on those titles, a name is just a name.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 20, 2020
Amotolongbo:
ok sir.

Since you are a Yoruba man, I don’t think you should find it so hard respecting her. It is our culture, the respect is embedded in our culture.

“Oro lana o”(in-laws are deities o) and they deserve being respected in our nation o(not Nigeria o, but Yoruba)
Instead of the Aunty iss, you can find a pet name for her or better “iya iyawo mi”.
You have got limited time together to start getting yourself worried on the “e” or “Iwo” or “eyin” approach.

It won’t harm you respecting her as a Yoruba man. It is understandable. Not every elderly ones deserve respect sir

Do you think it is cool, even though I am much older than her?
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by merieam16(f): 11:02pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:

Yoruba
nd ure askin question.. dont u kno everytin is respect

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:03pm On May 20, 2020
Humanoid01:
You are older than her, why then should you add a title to her name before you call her?

There is something about the yoruba culture that made one to give respects to inlaw regardless of their age and it is killing.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Amotolongbo(f): 11:05pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:

Do you think it is cool, even though I am much older than her?
Nothing so bad in it sir.

If you have a boss at work very younger than you, will you disrespect the boss cos he/she is younger?

Will it harm you respecting her?
Will it add any feather to your cap by not respecting her?

Like I said, you can look for a pet name for her.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Humanoid01(m): 11:05pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:

There is something about the yoruba culture that made one to give respects to inlaw regardless of their age and it is killing.
Whatever that is, it doesn't make sense lol. If that's the case, then you should start prostrating for her whenever you greet her. Isn't that a sign of respect too in the Yoruba culture? Respect has various meanings sir. Just be humble!
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Jullima(f): 11:06pm On May 20, 2020
Lol I am Yoruba and calling someone older than you “sister” “aunty” doesn’t necessarily connote respect. Please with all the aunty, people can still be disrespectful asf.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:06pm On May 20, 2020
Humanoid01:

Whatever that is, it doesn't make sense lol. If that's the case, then you should start prostrating for her whenever you greet her. Isn't that a sign of respect too in the Yoruba culture?

It is not as worse as that. lolz
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 20, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Nothing so bad in it sir.

If you have a boss at work very younger than you, will you disrespect the boss cos he/she is younger?

Will it harm you respecting her?
Will it had any feather to your cap by not respecting her?

Like I said, you can look for a pet name for her.

I do appreciate ur expressions and opinions. Thanks alot.
I just followed u
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 20, 2020
Jullima:
Lol I am Yoruba and calling someone older than you “sister” “aunty” doesn’t necessarily connote respect. Please with all the aunty, people can still be disrespectful asf.

You are right but does that justify it as the right thing to do?
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Humanoid01(m): 11:09pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:

It is not as worse as that. lolz
If you call someone you're older than "aunty" or "sister" with all sense of seriousness, all in the name of respect because she's your wife's sister, then it's that worse lol.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 20, 2020
Humanoid01:

If you call someone you're older than "aunty" or "sister" with all sense of seriousness, all in the name of respect because she's your wife's sister, then it's that worse lol.

So what do u suggest? How should it be?
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by cococandy(f): 11:13pm On May 20, 2020
In the time that you’ve been here, you could have asked her or your wife. You would have your answer by now.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 20, 2020
cococandy:
In the time that you were here, you could have asked her or your wife. You would have your answer by now.

And you think it is not disrespectful?

Common!
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Jullima(f): 11:14pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:

You are right but does that justify it as the right thing to do?
There is no right or wrong, depends on what she wants you to call her. I call my SIL by her first name and I respect her, calling her by her first name is what’s right for both of us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Humanoid01(m): 11:14pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:

So what do u suggest? How should it be?
Sorry, did they actually tell you to do that or you're just being curious?
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by cococandy(f): 11:15pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:

And you think it is not disrespectful?

Common!
to ask wifey what the sister-in-law would like to be called is disrespectful? Explain
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:16pm On May 20, 2020
Jullima:

There is no right or wrong, depends on what she wants you to call her. I call my SIL by her first name and I respect her, calling her by her first name is what’s right for both of us.

And she never gave you attitude?
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Amotolongbo(f): 11:17pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:

I do appreciate ur expressions and opinions. Thanks alot.
I just followed u
alright sir

You are welcome sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:18pm On May 20, 2020
cococandy:
to ask wifey what the sister-in-law would like to be called is disrespectful? Explain

I misinterpreted your message. I tot you were referring to meeting "sister" and asking what she be called.

My apologies!
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:19pm On May 20, 2020
Humanoid01:

Sorry, did they actually tell you to do that or you're just being curious?

Like i said earlier, it is all about the Yoruba cultue
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by cococandy(f): 11:22pm On May 20, 2020
Rogosa:

I misinterpreted your message. I tot you were referring to meeting "sister" and asking what she be called.

My apologies!

You can actually ask her too. It’s not disrespectful. That’s the surest way to make sure you’re addressing her how she wants to be addressed.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 20, 2020
cococandy:

You can actually ask her too. It’s not disrespectful. That’s the surest way to make sure you’re addressing her how she wants to be addressed.

Thanks
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by adebayour26: 12:55am On May 21, 2020
Humanoid01:
You are older than her, why then should you add a title to her name before you call her? Whether she's your wife's elder sister, it doesn't change that fact. She should be the one addressing you as "brother" lol. Although I don't place much attention on those titles, a name is just a name.
Guy, call her by name.
Chronologically, you are older than her.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are Men Up To Something When They Fail To Wear Wedding Bands?: Vote / To Know If Your Partner Had Sex With Someone Else While U Were Not Around / Is My Wife Into Runs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.