Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. (4230 Views)

My Dad's Elder Sister's Son's Child Is My What.. Answers Please. / Living With My Married Elder Sister / My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 1:12am On May 21, 2020
Ask your wife, or ask her with your wife around.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 3:40am On May 21, 2020
adebayour26:

Guy, call her by name.
Chronologically, you are older than her.

Hhmmmm. I will ask my wife first to hear her view too. Thanks
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 3:40am On May 21, 2020
aeion:
Ask your wife, or ask her with your wife around.

That I will do. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by LilMissFavvy(f): 3:47am On May 21, 2020
Why should you call her aunty if you are older than her? Call her sister or call her by her name.
Rogosa:
Hi everyone,
I have been having issue with this for a while. I don't know if it is proper to call your wife's elder sister "Aunty" or "Sister so and so" even though you are much older than her.
Can one call such by her name without putting the respective adjective or suffix?

Mature mind pls.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by GboyegaD(m): 5:29am On May 21, 2020
Call her by her name or give her a nickname.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Acidosis(m): 5:44am On May 21, 2020
You can call her "my in-law". It's not like you meet her or relate with her everyday. My brother in-law who is 15 years older calls me "my in-law".

There are people you wouldn't even need to mention their names especially when you do not relate often.

I call my sister in-law "iyawo." Never had reasons to call her by her name. I call some of my friends and cousins Baba, boss, etc., including those that are 10 years younger. In return, the younger ones (cousins) call me "Uncle" even though I'm not their Uncle in the literal sense.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by HiFreda(f): 5:49am On May 21, 2020
Call her what everyone else calls her.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 6:32am On May 21, 2020
LilMissFavvy:
Why should you call her aunty if you are older than her? Call her sister or call her by her name.

Thats what I am doing but it is sounding awkward.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 6:33am On May 21, 2020
HiFreda:

Lolz. By her name u mean?
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 6:35am On May 21, 2020
Acidosis:
You can call her "my in-law". It's not like you meet her or relate with her everyday. My brother in-law who is 15 years older calls me "my in-law".

There are people you wouldn't even need to mention their names especially when you do not relate often.

I call my sister in-law "iyawo." Never had reasons to call her by her name. I call some of my friends and cousins Baba, boss, etc., including those that are 10 years younger. In return, the younger ones (cousins) call me "Uncle" even though I'm not their Uncle in the literal sense.

I called her sister **** and it is sounding awkward to me.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by mrblessed(m): 6:57am On May 21, 2020
If she is married, you call her the name of one of her children. If she isn't, just miss this or that. This is not supposed to be a problem. You are not supposed to call your wife's elder sister aunt.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 9:37am On May 21, 2020
Rogosa:
Hi everyone,
I have been having issue with this for a while. I don't know if it is proper to call your wife's elder sister "Aunty" or "Sister so and so" even though you are much older than her.
Can one call such by her name without putting the respective adjective or suffix?

Mature mind pls.

If you are much older than her then you call her Ijeoma (supposing this was her name sha cheesy).
But if you don’t feel comfortable calling her Ije and she has a child, then call her Mama “child’s name”.
If she was older than you that’s when Sister could come in. But Aunty would be stretching it,
much like calling her Mama/Mommy.

The topic is kinda funny! Made me laugh because from your post it’s clear you are really in a dilemma about it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by crackland: 9:42am On May 21, 2020
Nigerians...una wan turn una sef to Americana or British by force just because you have access to internet and DSTV.

Some people even saying he should call her by her name..wonders shall never cease. grin

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by crackland: 9:43am On May 21, 2020
Rogosa:

By all lawful indices, she is your sister-in-law (through law, by law, as a result of law)... So why would calling her Sister Toyin feel awkward?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 9:43am On May 21, 2020
Rogosa:

cheesy
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 9:47am On May 21, 2020
HiFreda:

I agree

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 9:51am On May 21, 2020
Rogosa:

Yoruba

Oh okay, I thought you were Igbo. With this, I don’t know what you should call her.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by bukatyne(f): 9:52am On May 21, 2020
Rogosa:

Yoruba

Sir, call her sister XYZ or mummy ABC if she has kids.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by bukatyne(f): 9:55am On May 21, 2020
Acidosis:

Gbam!

How did we get to the stage we debate these things?

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by yomalex(m): 10:02am On May 21, 2020
Rogosa:

Yoruba
By name of her child; Mummy abc

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by LadySarah: 10:10am On May 21, 2020
Rogosa:

There is something about the yoruba culture that made one to give respects to inlaw regardless of their age and it is killing.

You have time

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by bukatyne(f): 10:36am On May 21, 2020
Rogosa:

There is something about the yoruba culture that made one to give respects to inlaw regardless of their age and it is killing.

@bold

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:54am On May 23, 2020
bukatyne:

@bold

Do u need explanation on that? Babe. You can only understand if you are from the Yoruba tribe
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:56am On May 23, 2020
yomalex:

By name of her child; Mummy abc

That would have saved the day but She doesnot have a child yet
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:56am On May 23, 2020
bukatyne:

Sir, call her sister XYZ or mummy ABC if she has kids.

Hhhmmmm
undecided
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:58am On May 23, 2020
crackland:

By all lawful indices, she is your sister-in-law (through law, by law, as a result of law)... So why would calling her Sister Toyin feel awkward?

The feeling ni
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 23, 2020
merahki:

If you are much older than her then you call her Ijeoma (supposing this was her name sha cheesy).
But if you don’t feel comfortable calling her Ije and she has a child, then call her Mama “child’s name”.
If she was older than you that’s when Sister could come in. But Aunty would be stretching it,
much like calling her Mama/Mommy.

The topic is kinda funny! Made me laugh because from your post it’s clear you are really in a dilemma about it.

You are right though. I think i will have a rethink into what I am comfortable with.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by bukatyne(f): 8:18pm On May 23, 2020
Rogosa:

Do u need explanation on that? Babe. You can only understand if you are from the Yoruba tribe

Give unto Caesar want belongs to Caesar.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by McWordsworth: 8:38pm On May 23, 2020
Rogosa:
Hi everyone,

Mature mind pls.

The fact that you're older, even much older makes your question not only invalid but timid.

Such questions can only be debated if she's much much older than you.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 8:55pm On May 24, 2020
McWordsworth:

The fact that you're older, even much older makes your question not only invalid but timid.

Such questions can only be debated if she's much much older than you.

What you are saying is that I can call her by her name?
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Adewumi275(f): 9:19pm On May 24, 2020
Don't call her by her name, Follow Amotolongbo's opinion.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by McWordsworth: 9:43pm On May 24, 2020
Rogosa:

What you are saying is that I can call her by her name?

Of course with all aplomb.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Necessary To Spank Children? / How Do I Tell Him That The Woman He Married Is A Marine Spirit? / A House Girl Maltreating A Little Girl(video....must Watch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.