Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. (4165 Views)

My Dad's Elder Sister's Son's Child Is My What.. Answers Please. / Living With My Married Elder Sister / My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Acme45: 12:13am On May 25, 2020
Rogosa:
Hi everyone,
I have been having issue with this for a while. I don't know if it is proper to call your wife's elder sister "Aunty" or "Sister so and so" even though you are much older than her.
Can one call such by her name without putting the respective adjective or suffix?

Mature mind pls.
my senior wife is even more better to me

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 4:33am On May 26, 2020
Acme45:
my senior wife is even more better to me

I think I like this
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 4:34am On May 26, 2020
McWordsworth:

Of course with all aplomb.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by veave(f): 6:42am On May 26, 2020
Rogosa:
Hi everyone,
I have been having issue with this for a while. I don't know if it is proper to call your wife's elder sister "Aunty" or "Sister so and so" even though you are much older than her.
Can one call such by her name without putting the respective adjective or suffix?

Mature mind pls.

I call everyone in my husband's house aunty and uncle. Even the ones I'm at least 5yrs older than. It will not remove anything from my body plus It didn't make me grow shorter or thinner or them fatter and bigger. No one forced me to do that I choose to. Its has a way of keeping me conscious that these are people I need to handle delicately, I cant treat them anyhow like I'd do my own siblings because I don't know what will hurt their feelings or make them happy.

For national peace mbok.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by veave(f): 6:49am On May 26, 2020
Rogosa:

The feeling ni

It seems you're too proud o. Or all the money in your akant would disappear once you call her aunty or big sis. Besides you're youruba you should even be calling her mummy sef. My dear age na just number o.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by BlissB(f): 6:53am On May 26, 2020
Humanoid01:

If you call someone you're older than "aunty" or "sister" with all sense of seriousness, all in the name of respect because she's your wife's sister, then it's that worse lol.
Exactly o, Initially I thought the in law was older till he mentioned he is older. You can address someone by their name and still respect them.... Like someone said just be humble but then if calling her by her name is a job for you then call her my in law in yoruba.....
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 10:34am On May 26, 2020
veave:

I call everyone in my husband's house aunty and uncle. Even the ones I'm at least 5yrs older than. It will not remove anything from my body plus It didn't make me grow shorter or thinner or them fatter and bigger. No one forced me to do that I choose to. Its has a way of keeping me conscious that these are people I need to handle delicately, I cant treat them anyhow like I'd do my own siblings because I don't know what will hurt their feelings or make them happy.

For national peace mbok.

it is easy to do that as a woman most especially, the norms and culture permit it from the woman view but can we say the same from the man's side? It is not about pride! On the contrary!
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Noloss(f): 1:54pm On May 26, 2020
It depends on the relationship BTW both family. Since you are older and aren't comfortable calling her name. Give her pet name like olori, first lady etc.
My hubby called my elder brothers bother (they are older than him) but addresses my other siblings by their names (they are married). We didn't see anything bad in it.

I don't call anybody brother or sister in his family either(except his immediate younger sister). Its either a pet name or your name. We relate as a family.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Karleb(m): 7:04pm On May 26, 2020
My friend call her by her name. So far you are older there is no debate here.

You only have to call her aunty if she's older or if you are the wife. undecided
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 26, 2020
Rogosa:

Do you think it is cool, even though I am much older than her?

if she's married with kids, call her by her kids name or you just call her" ana mi". Yorubas add meaning to respect a lot

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by faithfull18(f): 11:25pm On May 26, 2020
If she is married and have children, call her by her children's names.

If she isn't, iya iyawo mi is fine or madam like my people say or sis soso and so, it doesn't change anything.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 11:11am On May 27, 2020
Lizzyangel:

if she's married with kids, call her by her kids name or you just call her" ana mi". Yorubas add meaning to respect a lot
Exactly
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by eyinjuege: 2:55pm On May 27, 2020
Rogosa:

Yoruba

Why are you calling a sister in law you're older than sista?
You need to start calling her by name or use her child's name to call her.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by sisisioge: 3:10pm On May 27, 2020
grin grin grin grin

Call her sister whatever...I call my brother in-law, my-brother-inlaw.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by addictiv(m): 3:22pm On May 27, 2020
Rogosa:
Hi everyone,

Mature mind pls.
1. You can use the exact same name and title ur wife's uses to address her since ur wife is the younger one I am guessing she already has a title or pet name she calls her or
2. you call her by her kids names..ie : mummy Mike.
3. Also If she's the first daughter there are pet names reserved for first daughters such as Adanne in igboland, Or
4. If she's working in a profession that gives her a title eg Dr. Prof. Engr. Rev. Etc, you can address her by such too.
5. You can even call her a traditional chieftaincy title that connotes love, reverence and/or respect as a pet name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Luckymama: 12:28am On May 28, 2020
Rogosa:
Hi everyone,

Mature mind pls.

Does she have a child? You can call her by her child’s name: Iya so-and-so

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 30, 2020
Luckymama:

Does she have a child? You can call her by her child’s name: Iya so-and-so

She just had a baby recently
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 30, 2020
eyinjuege:

Why are you calling a sister in law you're older than sista?
You need to start calling her by name or use her child's name to call her.

And u this is proper to call her by name according to the tradition? I will rather use the name of her baby to call her since she just had a baby recently
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Bigblessed: 12:53pm On May 30, 2020
I relate better with she by telling she to sit well when her clothe is revealing.

Please restructure your topic jaree.
Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Luckymama: 3:09pm On May 30, 2020
Rogosa:

She just had a baby recently

Problem solved. grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 30, 2020
Luckymama:

Problem solved. grin

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is The Pastor Sleeping With My Wife? / My Younger Sister No Longer Want To Practice Her Faith.... / What If Ur Best Man Did Dis 2 Ur Wife On Ur Weddin Day. (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.