Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,776 members, 7,824,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue (20069 Views)

Nigeria's GDP Grew By 1.87% in Q1 2020 Amid Global Challenges / Nigeria To Borrow N510 Billion Via Bond Sale In Q1 2020 / Ondo State Records Highest performing IGR Growth in Nigeria (see full list) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by mystery22: 7:32pm On May 21, 2020
aztec:

And yet you Ibo people are trooping to Ogun State like there’s war in SE. You guys are pathetic. You insult SW yet you come In droves. Does that make sense? Even in the movie you hear them say “i’m leaving the village to go hustle in Lagos”. Now add Ogun state join. What’s so terrible about SE that you guys only want to go there on Christmas? �. One day your cup will get full again and you’ll be chased out! Continue.
you mean the skull mining of the nation,I am not a ritualist ooo like you Ogun state boy,afonja poverty statistics says Ogun state has 6% poverty rate,thanks to ritualist and skull miners that made the state rich
Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by mystery22: 7:35pm On May 21, 2020
aztec:

“Build SEAport in Imo RIVER”. Can you see you’re a clown. Isn’t it rivers that feed into oceans? How can you build a sea port in a river? How do massive ships get to the river? Or you think it’s easy like that. What you guys don’t know is that virtually no shipping company wants to dock in the Niger Delta area because of piracy. Niger Delta area of the Gulf of Guinea accounted for 60% of PIRACY ATTACKS LAST YEAR!!!! They simply wouldn’t come because you guys have used your hands to destroy your future!

Why will investors go to Enugu Airport? What’s happening in Enugu that will draw capital? Nothing!
You lot are just time wasters.
afonja,ibadan-express way,always bringing stats from the head of there victims in Ogun skull mining headquarter,afonja republic will become another dirty Benin republic where you brothers live...
Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by Legendguru: 8:51pm On May 21, 2020
oh
Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by senatepresido: 9:00pm On May 21, 2020
Sammy07:
Some people will tell us they are behind Lagos economy grin

Imagine, how much does 2 by 2 shops pays to Lagos economy? sad

Pls, no Easternbull tout should quote me.
you're just a fool and poor in both bank and mind because only the very poor Yorubas and Igbos fights on social media...
I am from SS though Benin to be precise, my boss, a Colonel in the Army recently sacked one of his Yoruba employee from Oyo to hire an Igbo from Enugu but you poor kids will be fighting on Nairaland...
fools
Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by Sammy07: 9:03pm On May 21, 2020
senatepresido:

you're just a fool and poor in both bank and mind because only the very poor Yorubas and Igbos fights on social media...
I am from SS though Benin to be precise, my boss, a Colonel in the Army recently sacked one of his Yoruba employee from Oyo to hire an Igbo from Enugu but you poor kids will be fighting on Nairaland...
fools

Lolzzz.

I'm working in one of Nigeria embassy outside the country.

One of the white men, sacked an Igbo guy cos of fraud and employ a Yoruba guy to fill his space.

You grab?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by dominion001(m): 9:08pm On May 21, 2020
Covik wink1,9 Fund on the go
Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 21, 2020
When some of us insist it is a fact Igbos are saboteurs who add little to Lagos IGR, because of tax evasion, Igbos will argue blindly.

Below is the list of the 10 states in Nigeria with the highest tax remittance in six month of 2019 accounting for 72% of total tax collection in our nation in that period. Not a single Igbo State.

Now, does it make sense that a very clannish and tribalistic people who avoid paying tax in their in their own States of origin will be substantial contributors to the tax component of Lagos IGR or that of any other SW State?

https://nairametrics.com/2019/10/14/top-10-states-in-nigeria-with-highest-tax-revenue-generated-in-2019/

Top 10 States in Nigeria with highest tax revenue in 2019
The latest IGR report released by the (NBS) showed that ten (10) states in Nigeria received N430.07 billion from tax revenue in half of 2019.

The latest Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) report released by the National Bureau of Statistics showed that ten (10) states in Nigeria received a total sum of N430.07 billion from tax revenue in half of 2019.

According to the Bureau’s report, the top 10 states in Nigeria generated 72% of the total tax revenue. Basically, the states include Lagos, Rivers FCT, Delta, Akwa Ibom, Kaduna, Ondo, Ogun, Cross River and Kano.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 21, 2020
Sammy07:
Some people will tell us they are behind Lagos economy grin

Imagine, how much does 2 by 2 shops pays to Lagos economy? sad

Pls, no Easternbull tout should quote me.

How can a people naturally averse to paying tax in even their own States be appreciable tax payers in Lagos or any other SW State?

Once it is accepted as a given that Igbos generally pay little or no tax then what is the economic benefit to Lagos of the small Igbo businesses and retailers that form, by far, the majority of Igbo trading presence in Lagos? Nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by PHAYOL81: 9:54pm On May 21, 2020
foleskay:
Lagos is making such revenue because its so centralized. Almost all the headquarters of multinational companies re located in lagos. Its one of d most centralized in d world, that's why its struggling to meet up with infrastructural facilities and quality housing.

Go to countries like US where d economy is decentralized. Not all economy of d US is based in new York alone, the economies are evenly distributed across d country, at least a state has a major company that's sustains its citizens. Tesla has its head quarters in San Francisco, ford has its headquarters in Ohio, tech giant, Microsoft has it main plant in Chicago, and us military is based in Virginia. So the wealths are spread. That's why d us is the most developed country in d world simply because its economy is decentralized. Lagos also needs to be decentralized so d wealths can be spread equally amongst states just like in d US.

The same bullshit all over again? Since Abuja had been the federal capital which would equate the years lagos had as one (30 years) around next year, what happens to the Airport at least, if having no chance of a seaport can be excused? Why hasn't the Airport overtaking MMIA as the busiest? Even when officials messed up landing equipments a while ago at the Lagos MMIA, the airlines coming in would rather opt for Ghana instead of any in Nigeria... Abuja, Port Harcourt, Kano, none else? To them it was either Lagos or nothing. Is that another political jargons from the FG?
How many times do we have to show you guys this Lagos was already doing fine long before the amalgamation of all the regions? Was that a help from FG too?
Fine, you cite samples from the USA. But you fail to provide evidence where the USA mandated or forced companies to site their business in any other place other than their place(s) of choice. Point blank, even in the USA, New York is what it is today because of the presence of assortment of companies trusting and establishing in the state. Check your stat, the New York has the most concentration of commercial activities of all the states (mark this, BY FAR) in the USA and the much I know (and I stand to be corrected if you've got prove), the Tesla in San Fransisco, Ford in Ohio, Microsoft in Chicago, amidst others that stationed their headquarters away from the New York did so by choice and not by the authority of the White House. Remember these are private companies and they have their plans and aims.
And how many companies had come out to say the FG mandated them to rather site their business in Lagos or beat it? Is it google that just came in? Is it Netflix? Are they the oil companies that left the Niger-Delta where they once had headquarters before relocating to Lagos owing to the incessant trouble from the clans? Or are they the new start-ups that sprung up taking the opportunities the state has to offer? Or did Innoson tell you the FG pressured him to rather site his plant in Lagos and not in the East? Or did BUA make the same claim over the sugar plant he's sited in Kwara state? If no, then, why is the bulls.hit of FG not decentralising Lagos? Ondo has port that the state government is courting investors to dredge, Ogun is building a mini-port around Itoikin by a private investor but the Easterns would rather put pressure on the FG to do this for their SS neighbour as if the Lagos seaport was not entirely functional before Nigeria or that the international Airports that they have functioning now is performing better than the MMIA despite having clamoured for it for years prior to having it.
If you want a decongested Lagos, Onne port is there for you and is operational, so either go use it or shut the h.ell up whenever Lagos is mentioned. Enemy of Progress!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by aztec: 10:05pm On May 21, 2020
mystery22:
afonja,ibadan-express way,always bringing stats from the head of there victims in Ogun skull mining headquarter,afonja republic will become another dirty Benin republic where you brothers live...

You can barely string a complete sentence together. It’s not your type somebody argues with. No intellectual content. You’re probably one of those “boy boy” that didn’t go to school and stay in a shop somewhere in SOUTH WEST!!! Go back to your erosion-riddled land!!! We don’t want you people here.
Leave our “skull mining” region for us.
SE is not and can never be a match to SW. How many South Westerners do you see in the East? That’s right, very few. We are happy to stay home because things are happening here. GO AND DEVELOP YOUR EROSION LAND!!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by mystery22: 10:10pm On May 21, 2020
aztec:

You can barely string a complete sentence. It’s not your type somebody argues with. No intellectual content. You probably one of those “boy boy” that didn’t go to school and stay in a shop somewhere in SOUTH WEST!!! Go back to your erosion-riddled land!!! We don’t want you people here.
Leave our “skull mining” region for us.
SE is not and can never be a match to SW. How many South Westerners do you see in the East? That’s right, very few. We are happy to stay home because things are happening here. GO AND DEVELOP YOUR EROSION LAND!!!
typical Ogun state boy every thing is violence, next thing you start looking for skull to mine,dirty Benin republic will be better than afonja republic if all Igbo's leave,no wonder your fathers died to keep us in Nigeria,cos skull mining could have also become an occupation in Yoruba land,try and reclaim your lost kwara state...useless parasites grin
Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by aztec: 10:12pm On May 21, 2020
Oshigun:
When some of us insist it is a fact Igbos are saboteurs who add little to Lagos IGR, because of tax evasion, Igbos will argue blindly.

Below is the list of the 10 states in Nigeria with the highest tax remittance in six month of 2019 accounting for 72% of total tax collection in our nation in that period. Not a single Igbo State.

Now, does it make sense that a very clannish and tribalistic people who avoid paying tax in their in their own States of origin will be substantial contributors to the tax component of Lagos IGR or that of any other SW State?

https://nairametrics.com/2019/10/14/top-10-states-in-nigeria-with-highest-tax-revenue-generated-in-2019/

Don’t mind them. They are confusing presence with tax payment. As you rightly said, these are people that don’t pay tax in their region claiming they are the tax base of the richest state. It’s laughable. They don’t know that it’s the big business that actually account for most of the tax revenue. I hear say Alaba trader they pay tax lol. Bunch of boastful clowns!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by aztec: 10:18pm On May 21, 2020
mystery22:
typical Ogun state boy every thing is violence, next thing you start looking for skull to mine,dirty Benin republic will be better than afonja republic if all Igbo's leave,no wonder your fathers died to keep us in Nigeria,cos skull mining could have also become an occupation in Yoruba land,try and reclaim your lost kwara state...useless parasites grin

Please you people should leave. You want SW to fail abi? Please leave! I’m begging you. Carry your mother and father join so SW can fail. You sef know dem no born ibo to leave. Where will they go? Imo? Dirty Abia? Enugu wey na only guest house dey. Abi na Anambra wey be Christmas town.
You sef know. Nothing is in SE that’s why you people can’t stay in your house!
I pity Ibo people because one day one day una go collect another £20.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by ola6: 10:19pm On May 21, 2020
Some of these ibos are just clowns.
Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by mystery22: 10:27pm On May 21, 2020
aztec:

Please you people should leave. You want SW to fail abi? Please leave! I’m begging you. Carry your mother and father join so SW can fail. You sef know dem no born ibo to leave. Where will they go? Imo? Dirty Abia? Enugu wey na only guest house dey. Abi na Anambra wey be Christmas town.
You sef know. Nothing is in SE that’s why you people can’t stay in your house!
I pity Ibo people because one day one day una go collect another £20.
Ogun state boy,better go back to Ogun state ooo,the same Lagos deport you clowns regularly,be here claiming lagosian...I wonder who owns Lagos,dangote refinery/fed govt are already buying lands continuously,another afonja loading in Lagos state,with a new emir in town..better go and work and stop skull mining your father pass down to you from his father,tribal parasite grin
Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by aztec: 10:39pm On May 21, 2020
PHAYOL81:

The same bullshit all over again? Since Abuja had been the federal capital which would equate the years lagos had as one (30 years) around next year, what happens to the Airport at least, if having no chance of a seaport can be excused? Why hasn't the Airport overtaking MMIA as the busiest? Even when officials messed up landing equipments a while ago at the Lagos MMIA, the airlines coming in would rather opt for Ghana instead of any in Nigeria... Abuja, Port Harcourt, Kano, none else? To them it was either Lagos or nothing. Is that another political jargons from the FG?
How many times do we have to show you guys this Lagos was already doing fine long before the amalgamation of all the regions? Was that a help from FG too?
Fine, you site samples from the USA. But you fail to provide evidence where the USA mandated or forced companies to site their business in any other place other than their place(s) of choice. Point blank, even in the USA, New York is what it is today because of the presence of assortment of companies trusting and establishing in the state. Check your stat, the New York has the most concentration of commercial activities of all the states (mark this, BY FAR) in the USA and the much I know (and I stand to be corrected if you've got prove), the Tesla in San Fransisco, Ford in Ohio, Microsoft in Chicago, amidst others that stationed their headquarters away from the New York did so by choice and not by the authority of the White House. Remember these are private companies and they have their plans and aims.
And how many companies had come out to say the FG mandated them to rather site their business in Lagos or beat it? Is it google that just came in? Is it Netflix? Are they the oil companies that left the Niger-Delta where they once had headquarters before relocating to Lagos owing to the incessant trouble from the clans? Or are they the new start-ups that sprung up taking the opportunities the state has to offer? Or did Innoson told you the FG pressured him to rather site his plant in Lagos and not in the East? Or did BUA make the same claim over the sugar plant he's sited in Kwara state? If no, then, why is the bulls.hit of FG not decentralising Lagos? Ondo has port that the state government is courting investors to dredge, Ogun is building a mini-port at Itoikin by a private investor but the Easterns would rather put pressure on the FG to do this for their SS neighbour as if the Lagos seaport was not entirely functional before Nigeria or that the international Airports that they have functioning now is performing better than the MMIA despite having clamoured for it for years prior to having it.
If you want a decongested Lagos, Onne port is there for you and is operational, so either go use it or shut the h.ell up whenever Lagos is mentioned. Enemy of Progress!

Guy that Onne port is only useful because of the oil and gas companies that have no choice but to use it. The level of piracy in that section of the Gulf of Guinea means normal ships will not dock there because it’s too dangerous and expensive (insurance) thanks to ND militants. So Onne is pretty useless for anything other than oil/gas. The oil/gas use is there out of a lack of alternative because it will be too costly to ship the oil from SS to Lagos by road. Dangote saw the rubbish going on in SS and rushed to build the refinery in Lagos. He has said that if oil flow from ND is disrupted he will buy it from the global market and ship it to the refinery. He has hedged his company from the nonsense that is happening in Niger Delta. Situating the refinery in Lagos shows a complete lack of confidence of private capital in the SS region because of the violence and myriad of other anti-development attitudes of the people. I mean look at Wike.

Even Shell wants to move logistics operation from Rivers to Lagos. I guess they are tired of the militancy, hungry people there that are always asking for money and the tug Governor. When Shell moves finish they will blame FG and say there’s an “agenda” to hold them back. Clowns!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by aztec: 10:46pm On May 21, 2020
mystery22:
Ogun state boy,better go back to Ogun state ooo,the same Lagos deport you clowns regularly,be here claiming lagosian...I wonder who owns Lagos,dangote refinery/fed govt are already buying lands continuously,another afonja loading in Lagos state,with a new emir in town..better go and work and stop skull mining your father pass down to you from his father,tribal parasite grin

You can’t even write. I’m first and foremost a YORUBA man before anything. There’s nothing like Ogun State, Lagos State, Ondo State etc. I see SOUTH WEST!!! We Yorubas are homogenous people and it will always be that way whether you jealous Ibos like it or not. It’s you people that like to say “Yoruba Muslim” but na lie! E no go work! It is in South West you will see a Muslim man marry a Christian woman. Daughter is Christian, son is Muslim. We go celebrate Sallah and Christmas in our SW. You go just give yourself BP because you know say Igbo no get advantage.
GO BACK TO YOUR EROSION RIDDEN MUD LAND!!! We don’t want you in SW!!!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by PHAYOL81: 11:41pm On May 21, 2020
aztec:

Guy that Onne port is only useful because of the oil and gas companies that have no choice but to use it. The level of piracy in that section of the Gulf of Guinea means normal ships will not dock there because it’s too dangerous and expensive (insurance) thanks to ND militants. So Onne is pretty useless for anything other than oil/gas. The oil/gas use is there out of a lack of alternative because it will be too costly to ship the oil from SS to Lagos by road. Dangote saw the rubbish going on in SS and rushed to build the refinery in Lagos. He has said that if oil flow from ND is disrupted he will buy it from the global market and ship it to the refinery. He has hedged his company from the nonsense that is happening in Niger Delta. Situating the refinery in Lagos shows a complete lack of confidence of private capital in the SS region because of the violence and myriad of other anti-development attitudes of the people. I mean look at Wike.

Even Shell wants to move logistics operation from Rivers to Lagos. I guess they are tired of the militancy, hungry people there that are always asking for money and the tug Governor. When Shell moves finish they will blame FG and say there’s an “agenda” to hold them back. Clowns!

Thanks for the info. Just don't know whether they think at all before citing samples. Imagine him call USA into Lagos situation as if the White House authorizes the place a business must be stationed in the country; as if if any business comes into USA today and plan to station its base in the New York, the White House would stop them. Is it Lagos fault that it provide magnetic business environment for investors much more than any other state? Would they have had a situation where investment rather opt for another country because the FG's poking nose in their place of choice? Or do they think big investment would suddenly go for an untrusted environment because the FG directed them to? That's why I cited the Airline example... they would rather have another country and not any other state other than the one they trust.
Those guys are big time clowns, I beg. So, Lagos would suddenly allow FG to tell them where the business they courted should be situated; Lagos wouldn't even allow it go to Abuja let alone Potor Republic. If they want development, it's time they started earning it not sitting down to be fed. No, it's not happening!

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by NGpatriot: 12:20am On May 22, 2020
Oshigun:

How can a people naturally averse to paying tax in even their own States be appreciable tax payers in Lagos or any other SW State?

Once it is accepted as a given that Igbos generally pay little or no tax then what is the economic benefit to Lagos of the small Igbo businesses and retailers that form, by far, the majority of Igbo trading presence in Lagos? Nonsense.

Anambralstson:

Some of them lack common sense, Southeast economy is an indigenes driven economy, state governments tax them low, in order to encourage them, unlike Lagos and Ogun. Like Anambra State government has suspended all tax and levies in all markets since last year

This is how they brag about not paying taxes in their own village, the same people actually blast Lagos and Ogun for taxing collrcting taxes.

There's a reason why the SE is the poorest region in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by aztec: 12:29am On May 22, 2020
PHAYOL81:

Thanks for the info. Just don't know whether they think at all before citing samples. Imagine him call USA into Lagos situation as if the White House authorizes the place a business must be stationed in the country; as if if any business comes into USA today and plan to station its base in the New York, the White House would stop them. Is it Lagos fault that it provide magnetic business environment for investors much more than any other state? Would they have had a situation where investment rather opt for another country because the FG's poking nose in their place of choice? Or do they think big investment would suddenly go for an untrusted environment because the FG directed them to? That's why I cited the Airline example... they would rather have another country and not any other state other than the one they trust.
Those guys are big time clowns, I beg. So, Lagos would suddenly allow FG to tell them where the business they courted should be situated; Lagos wouldn't even allow it go to Abuja let alone Potor Republic. If they want development, it's time they started earning it not sitting down to be fed. No, it's not happening!

They are in denial as the world is passing them by. As you mentioned, Ondo wants to build a seaport while two will be in Lagos after the Lekki Port is complete. Dangote Refinery has built a port too. What will happen is that virtually all the port traffic will be in the SW and they will find a way to complain or claim they developed Ondo state and Lekki. Ekiti about a week ago or so massively slashed the Right of Way (RoW) cost and today they announced a partnership that will see broadband technology installed. It will have a big positive impact on the state and business. What are their governors doing? When the positive impact is felt some of them will move to Ekiti and say they “developed” Ekiti by building 2 by 2 shops.

The truth is that big investors simply don’t fancy the SE. The Ibos themselves don’t fancy their region that’s why they only build house for Christmas and yet they claim marginalization. Any serious minded person will know that real development is driven by the private sector. Waiting on FG is a stupid thing to do.
If they want development they need to go back home and invest! I just thank God that i’m from the SW despite being in this quagmire called Nigeria. Cheers bro!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by NGpatriot: 12:44am On May 22, 2020
aztec:

They are in denial as the world is passing them by. As you mentioned, Ondo wants to build a seaport while two will be in Lagos after the Lekki Port is complete. Dangote Refinery has built a port too. What will happen is that virtually all the port traffic will be in the SW and they will find a way to complain or claim they developed Ondo state and Lekki. Ekiti about a week ago or so massively slashed the Right of Way (RoW) cost and today they announced a partnership that will see broadband technology installed. It will have a big positive impact on the state and business. What are their governors doing? When the positive impact is felt some of them will move to Ekiti and say they “developed” Ekiti by building 2 by 2 shops.

The truth is that big investors simply don’t fancy the SE. The Ibos themselves don’t fancy their region that’s why they only build house for Christmas and yet they claim marginalization. Any serious minded person will know that real development is driven by the private sector. Waiting on FG is a stupid thing to do.
If they want development they need to go back home and invest! I just thank God that i’m from the SW despite being in this quagmire called Nigeria. Cheers bro!

NPA, Ogun To Collaborate Over Olokola Deep Seaport

The management of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) and the Ogun State Government has agreed to collaborate to ensure the workability of the Olokola Deep Seaport project.

Receiving the Deputy Governor of Ogun State, Mrs Noimot Oyedele-Salako and the state’s government team inclusive of their Technical Partners from Abu Dhabi Ports recently, Managing Director of the NPA, Hadiza Bala Usman called for greater cooperation among stakeholders while working towards actualising the Federal Government 25 years Port Master Plan.

The NPA and the Ogun State Government delegation both agreed that the synergy was important in order to develop Nigeria’s port system in tandem with global best practices.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/npa-ogun-to-collaborate-over-olokola-deep-seaport/

Add Ogun state too..

Ogun state deep seaport project is still alive and well.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by aztec: 12:50am On May 22, 2020
NGpatriot:

Add Ogun state too..

Ogun state deep seaport project is still alive and well.

Even more fantastic news! All these moves will really become evident in 5-10yrs from now. In that time you will probably not see anything tangible coming from SE given the governors they have. It was until SW did Amotekun that suddenly they too realized that Fulani herdsmen were pillaging them. Let’s just keep praying that God will continue to guide SW to navigate this terrible union called Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by RuggedSniper: 12:58am On May 22, 2020
Ajibel:
Not many nations within the African continent can boast of the feat Lagos state has attained over the past decade. The state rivals economies of nations as it ranks the top 10 of the largest African economies. The success of the state is, however, punctuated by high poverty levels and a range of infrastructural deficits. The onus thus falls on the state to make do with its available resources towards meeting all the needs of the state and this is what the Ministry of economic planning and budget (MEPB) as headed by Commissioner, Sam Egube, seeks to attain with the state’s financial resources. Given the ongoing pandemic, the job of the state in mitigating the far-reaching effect on businesses and individuals alike has been further heightened.

The recently released financials for Q1 2020 reveal an actual revenue for the quarter of ₦282.6 billion, a figure 101% higher than the actual revenue of 2019 which stood at ₦140.7 billion and 6% higher than the budget for 2020 which stood at ₦267.8 billion. The revenue for the quarter consists of ₦100.3 billion on internally generated revenue, ₦141 billion on capital receipts, and ₦41.2 from federal transfers.

Capital expenditure for the quarter was N72.1 billion, 11% higher than the actual of 2019 which stood at ₦65 billion and 54% less than the budget for 2020 which was set at ₦177.8 billion – a deficit attributed to economic changes resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic. In the following abridged transcript, Mr. Egube, offers insights into the performance of the budget and speaks extensively about the implication of the pandemic on industries within the state and new mechanisms to be employed by the state government.

Let’s start with a brief overview of the quarter 1 financials. How do you rate the overall performance?

The first quarter is typically a very slow one. The budget performed at 51% and that is understandable because the later part of March experienced the Covid pandemic and subsequently the lockdown. So a lot of the transactions that were ready to go into execution were not able to go. We achieved and surpassed our target for 2020 Q1.

This is good as it just shows that some of the performance-enhancing mechanisms that we have put in place are working. We will continue to put pressure on those performance metrics and we do this through the peer reviews we have on our revenue which the governor himself sits in. The goal is to ensure that revenue is being driven so that we’ll have what we need to have to spend on both recurrent and capital expenditure.

The report disclosed that the Covid-19 pandemic will affect the resources of IGR – and expectedly so, which is why it is also surprising that the state was able to outperform despite the fact that a number of key industries have slowed down during this period. What is the state’s stance on this?

Yes, we expect the full implication of the Covid-19 slowdown to begin to show up in the second quarter. The latter part of Q1 is where you would see the beginning of the Covid-19 lockdown. So, we’re expecting a shakedown. We’ve done our own models also within the state to see how badly hit the Covid-19 pandemic will have hit us. It’s a global phenomenon. It’s not something the world has gone through and it’s not something that is completely understood yet.

But for an import-dependent country like us, our supply chain is going to be deeply affected as our production also will slow down. A slowdown of production across the world also means reduced energy demand and that begins to put pressure on our crude oil sales. What you then begin to see is that prices begin to topple down from our expected benchmark of ₦57/ barrel.

All of these slowdowns are going to cause the GDP of the state and of the nation to shrink. We have taken a more optimistic positioning to say it will shrink by 3%. 3% means a ₦2.3 trillion loss in output by the entire state. Unemployment go up as companies not producing will either begin to contemplate paying less than the salaries they ought to pay or actually lay off workers. With this happening, IGR will reduce and it is going to lead to an increased physical deficit that will force a re-order, a reevaluation, or a reprioritization of the budget. We need to spend on what will bring the greatest impact on the economy especially because resources are thinning out.

https://nairametrics.com/2020/05/09/big-read-interview-with-sam-egube-lasg-commissioner-for-economic-planning-and-budget/

[Picture]: Commissioner for economic planning and budget Lagos state, Mr Sam Egube
Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by NGpatriot: 12:59am On May 22, 2020
aztec:

Even more fantastic news! All these moves will really become evident in 5-10yrs from now. In that time you will probably not see anything tangible coming from SE given the governors they have. It was until SW did Amotekun that suddenly they too realized that Fulani herdsmen were pillaging them. Let’s just keep praying that God will continue to guide SW to navigate this terrible union called Nigeria.

Their governors are still preoccupied with wheelbarrow, borehole and roadside kerosene sharing.

SE is unproductive, there's nothing in that region to attract any meaningful investment and you'll never see brands like KFC, Dominos, Stone cold creamery anywhere in the SE, but they are all over the SW.

The SE is poor, the purchasing power is little or nothing, the business environment is too unfriendly, too hostile and not even enough educated manpoer to sustain meaningful business activities.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by Fatimaade: 1:01am On May 22, 2020
Sammy07:

Lolzzz.

I'm working in one of Nigeria embassy outside the country.

One of the white men, sacked an Igbo guy cos of fraud and employ a Yoruba guy to fill his space.

You grab?

Come and see how they are sacking igbos here and replacing them with Yoruba employees

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by Fatimaade: 1:02am On May 22, 2020
NGpatriot:

This is how they brag about not paying taxes in their own village, the same people actually blast Lagos and Ogun for taxing collrcting taxes.

There's a reason why the SE is the poorest region in Nigeria.

They see tax as collection and not a civic duty undefined punks

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by aztec: 1:20am On May 22, 2020
NGpatriot:

Their governors are still preoccupied with wheelbarrow, borehole and roadside kerosene sharing.

SE is unproductive, there's nothing in that region to attract any meaningful investment and you'll never see brands like KFC, Dominos, Stone cold creamery anywhere in the SE, but they are all over the SW.

The SE is poor, the purchasing power is little or nothing, the business environment is too unfriendly, too hostile and not even enough educated manpoer to sustain meaningful business activities.

You’re very correct. A grade companies are simply not interested. Worse for them, manufacturing doesn’t make sense in SE because the markets and export terminal is and will continue to be in the SW—we have already seen why SS ports are pretty much a write-off. Any sensible industrialist will manufacture in SW to massively save on transportation cost. Indeed, that’s why the manufacturing base that existed in SE in the 1980s and early 1990s seized to exist! No purchasing power in the region and to far from Lagos ports. See how Ogun has massively benefited from manufacturers looking for more space, cheaper land, and less bottlenecks tied to a tight Lagos.

Our access to the sea is a massive advantage and it’s good to see Ogun and Ondo joining in the port party. Recently there are some Ibos trying to claim SE is not landlocked. They said they can build ports in some river lol. They don’t know that even if it was possible (highly unlikely) ships will still have to pass SS which is a no go area for the shipping companies.
It will be interesting to see how everything unfolds.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by RuggedSniper: 1:24am On May 22, 2020
Oshigun:

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by NGpatriot: 1:32am On May 22, 2020
The game-changer for Lagos state is the Dangote refinery complex.

Imagine this..

The largest single-train refinery in the world in Lagos, SW

The biggest fertilizer plant in the world in Lagos, SW

The biggest petrochemical plant in Africa in Lagos, SW.

The largest gas processing plant in Africa in Lagos, SW

This is the real game-changer for Lagos and the SW, even the new IGR figure is small change considering the potential massive tax base and manufacturing opportunities from the petrochemical plant alone, imagine the explosion of petro plastic products, rubbers, resins, synthetic fibers, adhesives, dyes, detergents, pesticides, and petroleum-derived paints and coatings. Making film, Food packaging Shopping bags Cling film Milk carton lining, Injection molding, Dustbins Crates, Buckets Bowls Blow mouldingDetergent bottles Drums, Squeezable bottles, Extrusion Water pipes, Flexible water pipes Cable jacketing.

This petrochemical plant alone is set to open up many industrial applications for high-end exportable goods like industrial products, automotive parts products and so on, now imagine Lagos state sitting on this massive tax base and business opportunities.

And the biggest fertilizer plant in the world and the huge taxable refined products from the massive refinery too.

OMG, Lagos state and the SW don jam lottery, I see Lagos state rapidly moving from the 3rd largest economy in Africa moving to 2nd or even the first if possible.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by Sammy07: 1:46am On May 22, 2020
Fatimaade:

Come and see how they are sacking igbos here and replacing them with Yoruba employees

grin
Re: Lagos State Records ₦282.6 Billion Q1 2020 Revenue by Sammy07: 2:15am On May 22, 2020
NGpatriot:
The game-changer for Lagos state is the Dangote refinery complex.

Imagine this..

The largest single-train refinery in the world in Lagos, SW

The biggest fertilizer plant in the world in Lagos, SW

The biggest petrochemical plant in Africa in Lagos, SW.

The largest gas processing plant in Africa in Lagos, SW

This is the real game-changer for Lagos and the SW, even the new IGR figure is small change considering the potential massive tax base and manufacturing opportunities from the petrochemical plant alone, imagine the explosion of petro plastic products, rubbers, resins, synthetic fibers, adhesives, dyes, detergents, pesticides, and petroleum-derived paints and coatings. Making film, Food packaging Shopping bags Cling film Milk carton lining, Injection molding, Dustbins Crates, Buckets Bowls Blow mouldingDetergent bottles Drums, Squeezable bottles, Extrusion Water pipes, Flexible water pipes Cable jacketing.

This petrochemical plant alone is set to open up many industrial applications for high-end exportable goods like industrial products, automotive parts products and so on, now imagine Lagos state sitting on this massive tax base and business opportunities.

And the biggest fertilizer plant in the world and the huge taxable refined products from the massive refinery too.

OMG, Lagos state and the SW don jam lottery, I see Lagos state rapidly moving from the 3rd largest economy in Africa moving to 2nd or even the first if possible.

My prayer is Ogun and Oyo state should wake up to reality and tap from Lagos.
Like providing good roads, train and light. From Ogun / Oyo to Lagos, without Hold up.

Ondo State too is waking up in term of tech.

If Osun state were to closer to Lagos like Ogun.

It would be more Industrial than what someone can imagine, because of two factors:
Osun state roads are good and their light is like 20 - 23hrs per day.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Asiwaju Bola Tinubu Polled 1271 (APC Presidential Primary) / Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore Endorse Tinubu/Shettima / Egyptian President Invites Buhari For Discussion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.