Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? (1011 Views)

Why Marital Rape Is Not Recognized In Nigerian Laws – Agbonlahor / Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape / Rape: Be Very Careful, Rape Accusation Is Real. (disturbing Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by barojana: 11:00am On May 21, 2020
This is a highly controversial topic in Nigeria and I would like to have you people's opinion.

Lagos — Rape is defined as a crime of forcing a woman or girl to have sex, especially using violence and it is one of the oldest crimes in the world.

Traditionally, rape could only be committed outside marriage, and courts did not apply the rape statutes to acts of forced sex between spouses because it was generally believed that a woman consented to all future sexual activity with her husband through the contract of marriage.

For many cultures in Nigeria, the idea of marital rape is foreign, something imposed and that which contradicts the belief that such matters should be dealt with privately rather than by the government.

Daily Trust gathered that marital rape is not an offence in Nigeria hence it is not prosecutable. A husband cannot rape his wife. It is assumed that the wife gives implied general consent to sexual intercourse with her husband upon entering the marriage contract, which she cannot retract.

It is therefore not surprising that in Nigeria today, there is no known case of a husband who is charged to court for marital or spousal rape.

However, some lawyers believe that the husband should obtain consent from the wife before every intercourse, while others believe that there is an implied consent on the side of the wife resulting from marriage which gives the husband a ready-made or automatic consent.

This is the confusion and it is hoped that the courts will have an opportunity in future to look at decisions on the issue.

https://allafrica.com/stories/202003030478.html

Lalasticlala
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by Millenniumlady(f): 11:06am On May 21, 2020
Not be made....It is already a crime
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by alphajerus(m): 11:15am On May 21, 2020
Marital rape nawa o. As controversial as it sounds i would like to take a sit and learn from the elders and lawyers. This one pass me and i have not seen or heard of any here in ARUBA.
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by Babatunde40(m): 11:18am On May 21, 2020
What about when the woman forces the man to drop money against his will? Who will fight for the men too?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:20am On May 21, 2020
Babatunde40:
What about when the woman forces the man to drop money against his will? Who will fight for the men too?
wisdom is choking ugrin

6 Likes

Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by Olawale118(m): 11:29am On May 21, 2020
Babatunde40:
lols...u too much

6 Likes

Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by Dobson43: 11:32am On May 21, 2020
shocked
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by illicit(m): 11:33am On May 21, 2020
U need to build a bigger jail first
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by InfinityFabric: 11:38am On May 21, 2020
Babatunde40:
The delivery was inch perfect, and the conclusion... unerring.

4 Likes

Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by ojun50(m): 11:40am On May 21, 2020
Babatunde40:
My Guy ur head they work
Na financial Rape

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by Osobi32(m): 11:43am On May 21, 2020
What rubbish is that, how can a man rape his own wife? Meanwhile women are the highest abusers and rapist. They rape men financially, emotionally, psychologically, mentally and sexually. Because men don't come out to talk about these things abi. @op take ur time coz I no wan vex

4 Likes

Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by InfinityFabric: 11:49am On May 21, 2020
barojana:
. A husband cannot rape his wife. It is assumed that the wife gives implied general consent to sexual intercourse with her husband upon entering the marriage contract, which she cannot retract.
Shows African brain is still working in some aspects where the Yuropean and Muricans brains failed.
Marital rape ko, Marital orgasm ni.

Breathtaking nonsense.
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by ninetiethcrown7(m): 11:51am On May 21, 2020
Millenniumlady:
Not be made....It is already a crime

Naah it isn’t yet. Best you can get from marital rape is assault. However, it should be a crime. Our rape laws here are very lax. Unlike other parts of the world where unconsensual MouthAction is deemed as rape.

1 Like

Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by dulux07(m): 11:52am On May 21, 2020
Babatunde40:
Lol, or when the wife is corrupt, lies and inflates prices to get money from the husband grin

I believe such issues should be settled within the household. I mean the husband has right to the wife's body and vice versa. Marriage isn't a do or die affair, if the wife feels she's being abused, it is better she lives than pursue such a case.
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by mezarddinny: 12:03pm On May 21, 2020
i believe it should be a crime, i as a man wouldn't like it if my wife gets back home one day while i am asleep, ties me up and fvcks me in the anus
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by InfinityFabric: 12:14pm On May 21, 2020
ninetiethcrown7:

Naah it isn’t yet. Best you can get from marital rape is assault. However, it should be a crime. Our rape laws here are very lax. Unlike other parts of the world where unconsensual MouthAction is deemed as rape.
Absolutely mental!

1. Man: Can I Touch you?
....waiting for answer
2. Man: Can I kiss your lips
3. Man: Can I take off your dress, undies ?
Where does it end?
So after an Igbo man pays million, only for the wife deny him midway at number (2)? This is HNO₃ level madness!

All in all, the idea of "Marital rape" is an astute piece of stupidity. And anyone supporting it is either an unrepentant ignoramus or a violent oppressor.

1 Like

Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by KingNom(m): 12:21pm On May 21, 2020
Wow, never thought of this before

1 Like

Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by ninetiethcrown7(m): 12:48pm On May 21, 2020
InfinityFabric:

Absolutely mental!

1. Man: Can I Touch you?
....waiting for answer
2. Man: Can I kiss your lips
3. Man: Can I take off your dress, undies ?
Where does it end?
So after an Igbo man pays million, only for the wife deny him midway at number (2)? This is HNO₃ level madness!

All in all, the idea of "Marital rape" is an astute piece of stupidity. And anyone supporting it is either an unrepentant ignoramus or a violent oppressor.

How would you classify someone a violent oppressor for supporting marital rape. Isn’t it meant to be the other way around.

Also I get what you mean. But the idea when it becomes rape is when she says no. You can kiss her UnCloth her etc. she is your wife. But don’t forget before she became your wife, she was a woman and a human being, and should be treated with dignity. That’s all I’m saying.
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by zionmde: 12:49pm On May 21, 2020
Someone went to ur village
fed the entire village for over one week
fed ur entire extended family for one month
fed ur entire immediate family for one year
all in d name of marriage list

u still have d nerves to tell him am not in the mood
still go ahead to cry marital rape

wat an arrant rubbish

any man who physically assaults his wife should be prosecuted, but wat d hell is marital rape?

that's why I always say this "Marry someone whom u are entirely ok with every single area of his/her lifestyle, to avoid "Admin hide my identity"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 21, 2020
There is nothing like marital or marriage rape
Why will a partner deny his or her partner sex in marriage.
Don't they know marriage is all about unlimited sex
If it is not for sex, why should men and women marry? For Love?
Make I hear.
If you know you don't love sex, better Don marry, keep managing your enduring boyfriend.
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by barojana: 1:03pm On May 21, 2020
Personally, if we go by the technical definition. It seems 80% of Men are readily guilty of marital rape.

Anytime you spank your wife butt without asking - rape.

If you kiss your wife while sleeping - rape.

The implication of legal interpretation is mind boggling

Lalasticlala help push fp
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by InfinityFabric: 1:20pm On May 21, 2020
ninetiethcrown7:

How would you classify someone a violent oppressor for supporting marital rape. Isn’t it meant to be the other way around.

Also I get what you mean. But the idea when it becomes rape is when she says no. You can kiss her UnCloth her etc. she is your wife. But don’t forget before she became your wife, she was a woman and a human being, and should be treated with dignity. That’s all I’m saying.
Oga go left, the idea was from women who want more power since it's designed to prosecute men. Surprise surprise!
Having licensed sexual relation is a major reason to marry.

U don goofed mate, u missed what I meant by violent oppressor haha.

The only time there's any argument is when the man/woman is not capable at the moment (i.e weak, sick) then got forced, that's quite evil.
But the idea when it becomes rape is when she says no.
SIMPification!
That's how u get destroyed! She's giving u limitations then goes around riding a Tyrone vigorously haha. Terrific!
Again: Marriage is useless without the implied consent to hump.

Stop listening to morons on TV and in papers.
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by InfinityFabric: 1:23pm On May 21, 2020
barojana:
This is a highly controversial topic in Nigeria and I would like to have you people's opinion.
It's highly controversial among the 1% of the 1% online. In the real-word it's a t least 90% "there's nothing like that" or "It's just a buzzword".
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by ninetiethcrown7(m): 1:55pm On May 21, 2020
InfinityFabric:

Oga go left, the idea was from women who want more power since it's designed to prosecute men. Surprise surprise!
Having licensed sexual relation is a major reason to marry.

U don goofed mate, u missed what I meant by violent oppressor haha.

The only time there's any argument is when the man/woman is not capable at the moment (i.e weak, sick) then got forced, that's quite evil.
But the idea when it becomes rape is when she says no.
SIMPification!
That's how u get destroyed! She's giving u limitations then goes around riding a Tyrone vigorously haha. Terrific!
Again: Marriage is useless without the implied consent to hump.

Stop listening to morons on TV and in papers.

yeah the bolded is part of my point. and that isnt the only instance marital rape comes to play, dont forget that separation is different from divorce.

couples who are legally seperated are still legally married. that doesnt give you the right to come demading knacks. marital rape isnt really black and white, there are a lot of grey areas.

notwithstanding, i understand your point, marital rape in the hands of women would most definitely be abused.
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by Dpsychologist: 1:56pm On May 21, 2020
Arrrhhh shocked
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by Kingarthur21: 2:35pm On May 21, 2020
barojana:

https://allafrica.com/stories/202003030478.html

Lalasticlala
lol..the op post defined rape as forcing a woman or girl..

That definition is sexism itself! Rape is forcing someone into sex

Anyway marriage doesn't stop a crime from being a crime,rape itself is a crime... Because it happens in marriage doesn't make it less than a crime.
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by Dpsychologist: 5:21pm On May 21, 2020
Kingarthur21:
lol..the op post defined rape as forcing a woman or girl..

That definition is sexism itself! Rape is forcing someone into sex

Anyway marriage doesn't stop a crime from being a crime,rape itself is a crime... Because it happens in marriage doesn't make it less than a crime.
Well according to Nigerian constitution his definition is correct
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by asanwafo: 6:16pm On May 21, 2020
ninetiethcrown7:

Where Is marital rape a crime in Africa?
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by Fidelismaria: 7:33pm On May 21, 2020
Isn't it already a crime?
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by InfinityFabric: 8:34pm On May 21, 2020
ninetiethcrown7:

couples who are legally seperated are still legally married. that doesnt give you the right to come demading knacks. marital rape isnt really black and white, there are a lot of grey areas.
Still applies mostly in Western world, we are talking Nigeria mate.
Separated and still married is still alien in Nigeria (maybe court marriage ?).
This point is problematic, there's a reason u are separated in the first place.

notwithstanding, i understand your point, marital rape in the hands of women would most definitely be abused.
Na only #MeToo dem get see wahala, give "nonsense rape" and see total destruction.
Look at Obama O'Scammer and Joe Biden Bribery Title IX destroying lives of young students in college.

Women loves things that cannot be proven by logic, just emotions a la crying. It's a gold mine for them and boy mine did they.
Re: Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? by lightangel65i(m): 4:32am On May 22, 2020
It should not be a crime. Because

1) ladies will misuse it and lie on their husbands heads.

2) there is no such thing as marital rape

3) if you guys want something like this legal, it should also be legal for the man to cheat

4) and it should also be a crime to force a man to give you money that is finicial rape

(1) (Reply)

This Video Will Keep Your Day Going (nollywood Funny Love Make Out ) / What Can Replace Sexual Satisfaction And Companionship From A Woman? / Black White Mixed Relations In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.