Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? - TV/Movies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? (33019 Views)

Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix / Glamour Girls: Review And Ratings / Chief Daddy 2 (Going For Broke)- Reviews And Ratings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Respect55(m): 9:04pm On May 29, 2020
iamloyalty:
. Netnaija. com also download the subtitles file.

Modified.
Thank you. Let me try. I will get back to you.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by obiem(m): 9:39pm On May 29, 2020
obiem:
So, the highly anticipated, multiple award-winning movie, Living In Bondage: Breaking Free, has finally been released on Netflix, for those of us who couldn't see it in the cinemas.

The movie flags off the directorial debut of Nollywood's heartthrob, Ramsey Noah, as well as introduces breakout star, Swanky JKA, to most of the cinematic audience.

The story basically picks up from where the part 1 left off, only, we are taken a little over twenty years into the future, and introduced to Nnamdi Okeke, who is the estranged son of Andy Okeke. Now, you may want to see the Part 1 of this movie, or read about it, if you haven't, so, you don't end up clueless at certain parts. Nnamdi is a hustling young man in Lagos, who is introduced to the cutthroat business world, in a rather harsh manner that forces him back to the village to regroup. It is at the village, he meets the Omego family matriarch, who invites him to their Lagos home, and basically opens the door through which Nnamdi, slips into the devil's coven.

I won't go into the nitty gritty of the entire thing, just so, you guys can watch it, but I would like to highlight certain scenes I particularly enjoyed.

Scene 1: Nnamdi goes for an interview with a potential client, while he waits for them, he conspicuously eats the akara he had gotten earlier from a roadside hawker. I liked how realistic this scene was.

Scene 2: The scene where the head of the cult group, The Six; Richard Williams (Ramsey Noah), confronts Andy Okeke (Kenneth Okonkwo) in church. The dialogue was interesting, it was basically a battle of wits and biblical knowledge.

[img]https://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/YzM7MDA_/93420c584cc18bcc884c2f2f1228bcee.jpg[/img]

Scene 3: The scene where Nnamdi Okeke goes to Richard Williams to take back the wealth, and utters the iconic line "Paul akorokwam ihe a ofuma". It was like coming full circle, the same lines from the father, is repeated by the son. The reference to the first movie in this scene, is a brilliant addition to the script writing.

Aside the scenes, the discography was really good. In addition to the OST Album with Larry Gaga, they employed tracks from Styl Plus, Olamide and Phyno majorly. This was a brilliant stroke, it limited the number of artistes royalties would be paid to, while still serving the right tracks to each scene and maintaining the Nigerian flavor.

The settings were really cool. From the luxurious houses to the village in Owerri, even Rochas' statues got screentime. Y'all that said those statues were useless, watch the movie and apologise to Owelle grin

If you're a lover of cars, you will certainly enjoy a lot of scenes in this movie, because the car collection was *sigh*

Now, to the thing(s) that were a bit below par

1. The scene where Nnamdi drives Richard's Ferrari, with Richard in the passenger's seat...it was a bit too obvious it was a green screen. Aside that, the rest of the cinematography was great.

2. And this is not a sleight to Ramsey, because he did put in a commendable effort, [/b]but his Igbo was almost comical cheesy, not bad for a non-native speaker, but Shawn Faqua's was much better[b]

That being said, the movie in many ways, justified the rave about it, the cinematography was topnotch, there was a refreshing attention to detail, and there was an unlikely twist at the end.

Rating: A solid 7/10 for me.

If you've watched it, please drop your review and rating of the movie.

PS:

The movie was produced by PlayNetwork Studios and Steve Gukas

The scriptwriter is Nicole

And the cast include:

Jidekenne Achufusi Swanky JKA
Munachi Abii
Shawn Faqua
Enyinna Nwigwe
Ramsey Nouah
Kenneth Okonkwo
Kanayo O. Kanayo
Bob Manuel Udokwu
Nnenna Obi
Ebele Okaro
David Jone David
Zulu Adigwe
Nancy Isime
Kalu Ikeagwu and
Chuks Chyke

Lol yea I agree Ramsey's attempt at speaking Igbo was comical but c'mon he's Yoruba na...Meanwhile, the comparison with Shawn is not balanced cos Shawn is Igbo. Don't let the Faqua fool you, it's a stage name.
So, the highly anticipated, multiple award-winning movie, Living In Bondage: Breaking Free, has finally been released on Netflix, for those of us who couldn't see it in the cinemas.

The movie flags off the directorial debut of Nollywood's heartthrob, Ramsey Noah, as well as introduces breakout star, Swanky JKA, to most of the cinematic audience.

The story basically picks up from where the part 1 left off, only, we are taken a little over twenty years into the future, and introduced to Nnamdi Okeke, who is the estranged son of Andy Okeke. Now, you may want to see the Part 1 of this movie, or read about it, if you haven't, so, you don't end up clueless at certain parts. Nnamdi is a hustling young man in Lagos, who is introduced to the cutthroat business world, in a rather harsh manner that forces him back to the village to regroup. It is at the village, he meets the Omego family matriarch, who invites him to their Lagos home, and basically opens the door through which Nnamdi, slips into the devil's coven.

I won't go into the nitty gritty of the entire thing, just so, you guys can watch it, but I would like to highlight certain scenes I particularly enjoyed.

Scene 1: Nnamdi goes for an interview with a potential client, while he waits for them, he conspicuously eats the akara he had gotten earlier from a roadside hawker. I liked how realistic this scene was.

Scene 2: The scene where the head of the cult group, The Six; Richard Williams (Ramsey Noah), confronts Andy Okeke (Kenneth Okonkwo) in church. The dialogue was interesting, it was basically a battle of wits and biblical knowledge.

[img]https://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/YzM7MDA_/93420c584cc18bcc884c2f2f1228bcee.jpg[/img]

Scene 3: The scene where Nnamdi Okeke goes to Richard Williams to take back the wealth, and utters the iconic line "Paul akorokwam ihe a ofuma". It was like coming full circle, the same lines from the father, is repeated by the son. The reference to the first movie in this scene, is a brilliant addition to the script writing.

Aside the scenes, the discography was really good. In addition to the OST Album with Larry Gaga, they employed tracks from Styl Plus, Olamide and Phyno majorly. This was a brilliant stroke, it limited the number of artistes royalties would be paid to, while still serving the right tracks to each scene and maintaining the Nigerian flavor.

The settings were really cool. From the luxurious houses to the village in Owerri, even Rochas' statues got screentime. Y'all that said those statues were useless, watch the movie and apologise to Owelle grin

If you're a lover of cars, you will certainly enjoy a lot of scenes in this movie, because the car collection was *sigh*

Now, to the thing(s) that were a bit below par

1. The scene where Nnamdi drives Richard's Ferrari, with Richard in the passenger's seat...it was a bit too obvious it was a green screen. Aside that, the rest of the cinematography was great.

2. And this is not a sleight to Ramsey, because he did put in a commendable effort, [/b]but his Igbo was almost comical cheesy, not bad for a non-native speaker, but Shawn Faqua's was much better[b]

That being said, the movie in many ways, justified the rave about it, the cinematography was topnotch, there was a refreshing attention to detail, and there was an unlikely twist at the end.

Rating: A solid 7/10 for me.

If you've watched it, please drop your review and rating of the movie.

PS:

The movie was produced by PlayNetwork Studios and Steve Gukas

The scriptwriter is Nicole

And the cast include:

Jidekenne Achufusi Swanky JKA
Munachi Abii
Shawn Faqua
Enyinna Nwigwe
Ramsey Nouah
Kenneth Okonkwo
Kanayo O. Kanayo
Bob Manuel Udokwu
Nnenna Obi
Ebele Okaro
David Jone David
Zulu Adigwe
Nancy Isime
Kalu Ikeagwu and
Chuks Chyke

Lol yea I agree Ramsey's attempt at speaking Igbo was comical but c'mon he's Yoruba na...Meanwhile, the comparison with Shawn is not balanced cos Shawn is Igbo. Don't let the Faqua fool you, it's a stage name.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by falconX(f): 9:54pm On May 29, 2020
Kemi wasn’t robbed.

King of boys was alright. It got too long and winding largely not memorable.

Do the gang stories of the US and the UK change the narrative of those places?

If it’s not in line with your reality that’s cool. Good for you. Unfortunately, it’s the reality of many people. Even people you know.

Besides, the big screen is about SPECTACLE. Living in Bondage ticked that box beautifully.

Amanee:
The movie was just there - Just another Nollywoood movie glorifying rituals that adds to the same old 'Africa as a dark continent' narrative.

I think it should have ended in part one. This part two is superfluous, overhyped and not in line with the modern realities in Nigeria. In short, it's a worn narrative and Ramsey Nuoah should have had a more challenging directorial debut than 'Living in Bondage 2'. He just rode on the glory of the previous film. Kemi Adetiba was really robbed at AMVCA.

I watched it months ago and I can't even remember anything memorable about the action, it was that bland.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by falconX(f): 10:07pm On May 29, 2020
zicoraads:

I never found the 'Wow' thing with KOB.

Up till this moment, I haven't finished watching the movie.

Anyway, it's the thing about choices.

It was supposed to be my birthday date with myself. I saw the 10.15pm show that day. I ended up just wishing I’d gone to bed instead.

It dragged on and then the end was so rushed it was almost meaningless. I’m wondering what the part two will bring.

Sigh
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Rossycee(f): 11:23pm On May 29, 2020
The movie wasn't bad, continuation of the main movie that was released in the 90s.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 12:51am On May 30, 2020
iamloyalty:

U can't reimburse me because ur toyal account balance nor reach me buy data, I am not just a fan of cinema.
I hate to spend a Kobo on anything I won't get any form of satisfaction from, I didn't even spend up to 500 for that data but he pain me die and I watched dat movie with an open mind since I was thinking it might exceed the negative review.

God has over favoured me to the extent dat I wont try to to bring others down to just to feel good abt myself.

You cannot always get satisfaction from everything you spend money on, that is not how life is. You should know this.

I sha told you not to watch it. When you watch something you have initially said you will not watch, you cannot get satisfaction from it, because a part of you will be nitpicking it, no matter what. It is an unconscious thing. You were prepared to hate the movie.

That you still went to watch it, shows, you need to be more critical of what you spend your money on, if you are really as frugal as you claim.

You should have found someone who already downloaded it, to send it to you via Xender, then, you wouldn't have had to waste, even data on it.

For the purpose of next time, patience is a virtue. God should favor us, so, we don't take offense to bants
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 12:57am On May 30, 2020
iamloyalty:

So is a win/win situation. Both for lion heart and king of boys in the Oscars category.

If that is your interpretation, of course. We can only see things from our perspectives.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by itzMizELo(f): 7:30am On May 30, 2020
chibuikenicole:

9jarocks.com

Thank you.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by itzMizELo(f): 7:30am On May 30, 2020
damoneymag:

that movie made my year.

I've downloaded it already. I'm going to watch it today and I'll love it for sure.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Femsyn(m): 9:56am On May 30, 2020
Just saw LIB after someone suggested where to download it yesterday. I saw KOB few months ago. My conclusion is that I prefer KOB, cos of the story.

It's a story I could relate with easily, and I couldn't believe I could stay that long watching a movie.

LIB has better pictures and was really wowed by the locations and general screen presentation. Nice movie, but would I watch it again? No. Its plain, no real twist.

KOB has it for me.

Was KOB robbed? Depends on who voted. Besides i feel LIB had better exposure.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by Nobody: 11:37am On May 30, 2020
safarigirl:

You cannot always get satisfaction from everything you spend money on, that is not how life is. You should know this.

I sha told you not to watch it. When you watch something you have initially said you will not watch, you cannot get satisfaction from it, because a part of you will be nitpicking it, no matter what. It is an unconscious thing. You were prepared to hate the movie.

That you still went to watch it, shows, you need to be more critical of what you spend your money on, if you are really as frugal as you claim.

You should have found someone who already downloaded it, to send it to you via Xender, then, you wouldn't have had to waste, even data on it.

For the purpose of next time, patience is a virtue. God should favor us, so, we don't take offense to bants

Of course one cannot always get satisfaction from everything money was spent on but at the same time it normal to express dissatisfaction on what we feel dissatisfied with. I wasn't prepared to hate it, there are times film critic do swallow their negative criticism when a movie turn out better so it has nothing to do with subconsciousness.

I am not lacking money so I don't really need to be to critical on what i spend my money on that why I didn't really bother with anyone sending it to my phone when I can simply download it myself.

Next time be wise enough to know that u don't have to slyly drag others dowm just to make a point. Wisdom is also a virtue.
Amen may God continue to favour us.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by damoneymag(m): 2:27pm On May 30, 2020
itzMizELo:

I've downloaded it already. I'm going to watch it today and I'll love it for sure.
Enjoy! �
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by PremierGuy(m): 3:03pm On May 30, 2020
Just about to start watching when my family came back home...paused to continue later when they have gone to bed. So far the quality, sound is on point.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by lighternote: 4:58pm On May 30, 2020
Superfluous, overhyped comment. Did swanky JKA or Ramsey break your heart. Nwanne, si ebe a puo. Your opinion isn't better than the countless of beautiful reviews that the movie has been raking especially over the flawless act exhibited by the heroine-Nnamdi Okeke.
If Femi was robbed, what stops you from unrobbing her? grin grin
Amanee:
The movie was just there - Just another Nollywoood movie glorifying rituals that adds to the same old 'Africa as a dark continent' narrative.

I think it should have ended in part one. This part two is superfluous, overhyped and not in line with the modern realities in Nigeria. In short, it's a worn narrative and Ramsey Nuoah should have had a more challenging directorial debut than 'Living in Bondage 2'. He just rode on the glory of the previous film. Kemi Adetiba was really robbed at AMVCA.

I watched it months ago and I can't even remember anything memorable about the action, it was that bland.
Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by junnyjake(m): 2:15am On May 31, 2020
iamloyalty:

I am nobody's fan am just a fan of good works.
KOB is one of the best Nigeria movies so far, I have watched it up to 10times. As for LIB I might just try whenever I feel like since am not a fan of occult. Let look forward to other movies.

I'd rate "if I am president" and "the meeting" higher than KOB.

1 Like

Re: Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? by RuddyFusion(m): 10:53am On May 31, 2020
I watched the movie and I'm impressed with Nnamdi and the rest of the crew....They all interpreted their roles very well....

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

BBNaija: Everybody Was Nominated For Eviction. Housemates Confused / If You Don't Cherish Your Wife, Another Man Will - See This Hilarious Video / Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.