Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,885 members, 7,824,701 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? (59821 Views)

Tired Of Staying At Home Which Of These Skills Should I Go For? / How Old Were You When Your Life Started and How Did It Start? / Are You Jobless? Earn, Learn & Have Fun With Wordstar Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by SmartPolician: 3:03am On Jun 12, 2020
Ade3131:

Pls go and learn programming. If you have the guts, don't disturb yourself about admission if you're really focused. A year or so into your programming class, save some money and write their professional exam or certifications.

Provided you're good at it and have some of those certifications, you'll get good jobs better than those that went for BSc or HND.

Marvelphysics, life is all about fulfilment.

Don't be fooled, there's more to life than making money.

Admittedly, going for a course in programming is good. However, you can do that while you put your varsity education on hold.

After a while, you begin to pursue your Computer Science admission alongside your programming skill. You can go for certification exams when schools are on vacation. You will go far with that.

There's a reason why rich school-leavers still retuned to school even though they were stinking rich. I can give you a long list of names.

You see, King Sunny Ade said that his biggest regret in life is not having a university degree.

We all know that Nigeria is messed up; but if you can afford it, don't compromise university education for anything in the world. It improves your confidence, self-esteem (you are not inferior to speak before anyone) and everything you can think of.

Good luck

13 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Kingphenome(m): 3:23am On Jun 12, 2020
Baba mi,chat me up on this line 08146622639,make we rub mind
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Kingphenome(m): 3:24am On Jun 12, 2020
Favoritedealer:
Make I no lie na Yahoo i do,finished UNI at 23,I stayed home for a year and looked for job everywhere I didn't see shit,got a phone and a laptop then started bombing, I made my first million at 24.
7 years later now I'm a legit business owner if you can call it a business sha, I have 9 taxis and I employ young men to drive them and they deliver to me weekly .I guess I'm still jobless cos I don't do anything all day.i just wait till weekend and collect my due
Baba mi,chat me up on this line 08146622639,make we rub mind abeg
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by timseye: 3:40am On Jun 12, 2020
I took time to read all...
Now my own story....

Coming from a below average background, dad even struggled to pay for my waec. Knowing the situation at home, I hit the street immediately I wrote my last paper in waec looking for job vacancy. Luckily I found one after trekking from Mushin to Oshodi with local ice cream company as a production and sales rep in one small shop like that. Few months after someone approached me from my church to come and work for him. He offered me more and the place was a walking distance from my abode. It's an invitation to breakthrough. I worked with him for 4 yrs and all my salary from start to end date was saved. I was a crazy saver! I lived on side income; from assisting customers to carry their goods. I left the company and started same biz with my savings. I ensured I reinvested most of my profits and was prudent with money as well.
I put in for a part time degree course and registered for a professional course (ACCA) while I continued rulling my biz. I really made it big, as God crowned my efforts with success. When I became chartered, I left the country for my MSc. I still have biz that fetch me monthly in come in naija. As other said I am still a work in progress. It can get more better.

Key note...

1. Start from somewhere no matter how small
2. Learn to save and don't do follow follow
3. Set goals and target for yourself in your biz
4. Don't live about your means
5. Learn to give especially to parents, siblings any the needy, any time I do this I get more.
6. Your biz first, don't carry out any capital project that will kill your biz. I said this from experience.
7. Do anything as long it's legal.
8. Save, save, save and save
9. If you can, avoid fornication and alcohol.
10. Pray, pray and pray.

It shall be well with you all. Our efforts will not be in vain. Don't wish anyone to be poor as I did experience it. Pls, don't stop trying, though the naija environment is not encouraging but don't give up on your dream.
Good morning!

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by osazuwa23: 3:41am On Jun 12, 2020
I graduated college last year and i am 24 here in the united states and i am jobeless as we speak had loads of numerous interview with tech companies such as cisco, yelp, spin which consisted of phone interview and skype interview as well a in. person with the state of california department of justice and still cant find anything. Living with my parents with no work can test you in many ways but you have to remain focused as a black male Majority of the companies in the united states epecially california hire a tiny percentage of blakc males. I dont have any criminal record whatsoever why cnat they give a nigga a chance cry
Donald95:
For me, I concluded my schooling (Caritas Private University) and service when i was 22 years. I stayed with my widowed mother till i became 24. That 2 years was full time war because I battled within myself over my non- educated friends that are mostly into tanker and Container motor drivers flourishing while me that much is expected from had nothing but "thank you" whenever i finish eating my mums food ( not jealousy though)

Mid of my 24 years, i moved in to stay with my sister in Enugu. Away from home, i was more free to engage my self no matter how humiliating the work look.

I started with Teaching. I was paid 15k per month, after 5 or 6 months of saving, i rented my own apartment, Used the remaining money to buy rice, tomato paste and beans in large quantities. I made good savings before the year ran out.

The next year, i opened a phone charging place and employed a girl while I was still teaching . Money started flowing in small small. I had about 300k few months later so, I opened Firstmonie outlet.

I started massive saving. I was targeting to open an iron company where i will sell building materials last 2 years, but the required capital is too much so, I went into rice.

I am Thankful to God for where i am today.

You can still make it if you don't have a job. Just start as small as possible.

Move away from home and squat with your sibling or good friend if you are too ashamed or not free to engage yourself.
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by laoludavid(m): 4:14am On Jun 12, 2020
Carlyboi:

Uwc bro where do you stay and where are you from maybe we can chat on WhatsApp and just rub minds discuss opportunities
That is going to be nice, have sent a message to your mail
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Nobody: 4:15am On Jun 12, 2020
Heavensent01:
after leaving school at the age of 22yrs I proceed for my service, i after i returned to lagos and waited for 5months and no reasonable job as i cant teach, i will rather work in mortuary than to teach in Nigeria private school.

i went to driving school where I learnt how to drive, did driver's license and few months after I got a driving job in one cocacola depot. I worked there for a year and during this year I resit for GCE as I was denied the course I was admitted in because of one subject in my former o'level. I had 6 subjects and I was given Political science in unilag even though I want Law

I worked with a land consulting firm for a year and I resigned to be my own boss. I'm doing some business and still opening more

it takes focus and determination to overcome challenges, you must also learn to pay deaf ears to gossipers or what people say. success doesn't need distraction
Nice one. Did you write gce as a private candidate? And how many subjects did you register for? Thanks.
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by AududuNine11: 4:23am On Jun 12, 2020
technoguy:
I've never been jobless infact I'm tired of working I'm now working towards retirement.
Managing two companies is no child's play.

Immediately I dropped pen after final exams I launched my award winning paint production business. Immediately after NYSC my software development company came to live.

Though I lost access to my first account I've worked for several notable people from here including the admin dejii AKA Olaniyi.

I build Mobile apps and websites. Bring your jobs I deliver without stories.
Thanks for your patronage.

Cc. Crownedrookie GentRoyal Aududunine11 bunnae

Broke ass

Lol
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Judybash93(m): 4:35am On Jun 12, 2020
My story is kinda different. I graduated at the age of 22 and completed my NYSC thingy a year after. During the course of my first degree i engaged myself in a number of internships that gave me some kind of exposure and things moved until i got the chance to leave the country to further my study. After living in the country for a year, i couldn't get a job but was learning computer programming and graphics design on the side. Luckily for me though, i was able to start an electronics business and was also teaching on the side. We move

2 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by lokoventurex1(m): 4:35am On Jun 12, 2020
I completed secondary school education in 2004 at age 16. Admission wasn't nice to me because I had to write Jamb a few times. It was the last MPCE in 2009 that got me admission in 2009.

I studied Accountancy and Finance and made upper credit honors. I served in 2015/2016. I hadn't finished the service year before I got a banking job through a recruiting firm to access bank in 2016. I quickly ran to Lagos. Life started smiling at me . Rented my flat and needed to have what an average young man should have at home . I was able to do this within months.

Unfortunately, the joy was short lived. I used to work at a very sensitive unit then at access bank. Some wicked guys had to steal $40,000 from the vault. I was somehow roped and this consequently led me out of the banking job. I knew nothing about the stolen cash.

I've the story here on Nairaland. It was even moved to the front page in 2017. I started applying for jobs, but all efforts proved abortive. I had to go into bus business. I don't want to be useless. I sold off my electronics and furniture and borrowed more money at the microfinance bank. I guess I was too ambitious. I didn't know much about how good a bus should be before buying. I took 1.7M to Abuja in 2018 to go buy a used 37 seated bus. It was the most useless business decision I've ever made. I bought a bad bus and this consequently made me lose all the investment.

The loan company was already mounting pressure for their repayments. The bus wasn't working. Instead, the bus was giving more problems and I was spending on it. I had to sell the bus after a few months of purchase. I sold it for 750k. It could only pay very little of my loan. My in-law supported me and I'm still grateful to that man. He helped me pay the remaining 1.2M to the loan company.

I became very depressed and clueless. I had already given my life to Christ immediately I lost my job at access bank in 2017, and wasn't expecting life to be tough afterwards. I was wrong. Since Bible itself says many are the afflictions of the righteous.

I had to go back to job hunting I'd left for one year . I had practically lost everything I had as that this time. I eventually got an account officer role at a school in Sept 2019. The school is another sorry place to work. I didn't know the owner doesn't pay salaries as at when due. Even despite I'm the account officer, and most of these cash get to my office before lodgement at the bank, the owner doesn't care to pay.

I just knew I needed to leave there and find somewhere I could be getting my pay as at when due. I got some invitation for written aptitude test in January and February this year. I gave one of those test a very good shot, and was so sure I'll make the interview stage. While I was waiting to get called, baba Corona just came and worsen the economy.

Our school had to close operations., and there was no pay. My employer is still owing me 4months salary . I became more hurt. In my quiet time during the lockdown, I conceived a business idea. I had to go learn this business online and physically at an area uncle's shop. He was sincere to teach me the prons and cons of the business.

I'm at verge of starting the business, but I've no capital. Life is just very unfair. If you ask many people on this platform, they'll have one or two, bad or good experiences about life.

Age is not even on one's side sef...

19 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Nopanties: 4:55am On Jun 12, 2020
Goddys:
My intent as the sport season is resuming is to invest 100k into sport betting.

I will divide the 100k into 10 places and stake odd of 0.1 daily which will give me 1k profit per stake.

With 100k, I will be making 10k profit daily. The chance of 0.1 odd losing is extremely low
Please don't do this. I've tried it. I went further to even odds of 1.001, it's either it fails or the betting company will seize ur money on the excuse to bet on higher odds like 1.5 and in accumulator.
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Usorohtheman(m): 5:08am On Jun 12, 2020
No story to tell. I lost.

2 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by technoguy: 5:49am On Jun 12, 2020
mperornero:
abeg you fit dey help me with 2odds?
If you have 100K I can give you sure 1.5 odd. You can make gain of 50K and start something.

From big data analysis its almost impossible to lose the bet

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Nobody: 6:02am On Jun 12, 2020
Proffesy:

Evening Bro, on a good note,how encouraging/profitable is forex trading

It's cool when you trade like a business
And not a gambler
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by 15ssDRIVE(m): 6:10am On Jun 12, 2020
By 18-19 I already know say education no be my way. But my parents biggest concern then is not going to the Uni.

Then i travelled to Swaziland instead of Switzerland. Lol

Since looking for money,is not the same as stealing = I passed all test from my new host 110%

They moved me to a mining site,and instead of stealing or messing up.

I set up a Igbo joint,but my aim is getting the good rasteferians in my book.

Then I moved to listening and noting down,the names of the ones with direct access to gold and diamond ,and then I started doing illegal buying and selling of precious stones.

Still burn Lala,with very good network of miners,and my only crime now is tax evasion. Ijebu man no like to pay tax .... hahahhahah

Working like if tomorrow no dey,and eating life like an elephant,make I no go work for nothing!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Igolonwaanyi(f): 6:37am On Jun 12, 2020
Frankicent:

Hey can you connect me to this writing job? I'm a writer too.

here's my own personal blog www.Yawadey.com.ng

I can't connect anyone I can't vouch for, period.
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Nobody: 6:38am On Jun 12, 2020
Righteousness89:
I Completed university at 21 . (2006)

The Job I desired was not Forth coming so I had to do the Job I didn't desire. As long as it brought in some cash! I also gain some great knowledge that has helped me and many others

I also improved myself with some Certifications ( Nebosh, Nhs, etc)

I later Resigned and had some good business dealings with my a relation.. All these things were totally outside my Course of Study (Accounting)

At a time I sold Arduino uno Pc and all that programming stuff with no Fore knowledge and Experience. But it was great!

By GOD'S Grace and Help I Relocated out of the Country!

I am still a Work in Progress !

When I look back , I have Great Reason to say THANK YOU PRECIOUS FATHER!

The few facts I know is
1. Knowing and Trusting JESUS Eliminates Many Struggles in Life.

2. Don't live life To please People! The Moment what you do is pleasing to GOD , carry on

3. Don't always follow the Multitude or Majority! The Multitude most times are Wrong. Follow what GOD'S word says and those who share similar belief.

4. Fornication is a Crippler of Destiny! It takes you back and down the pit. ( I say this From personal Experience)

5. No Matter how Friends Give up on you, do not Give up on yourself..
good one... that number is bomb. let those that have ear hear.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Nobody: 6:52am On Jun 12, 2020
yinkbell:

1.thanks for replying bro. do you apply online?
2. is the outsourcing agency a foreign one?
3. Is LatinHire still running in this COVID period?
4. What's there requirement and web address?
I am sorry for bombarding you with all sorts of questions.
I await your reply. Thanks, sir!

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes but they're currently not accepting application
4. The platform pays you for answering questions posted by students. There's no special requirement as long as you can provide un-plagiarized answers to those questions,
Google search brainly, you'll have a better understanding of how it works

1 Like

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by bigiyaro(m): 6:53am On Jun 12, 2020
Donald95:

Start something now. Depression may hit you soon. Looking at your school mate and age mate flourishing while you are koboless can cause depression
what do you suggest he starts
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by cheesmooth(m): 7:01am On Jun 12, 2020
bbewaj:
After my Nysc @ 25, when there was nothing for about 2years, I decided to squat with a friend then I started online business, UK used laptops to be precise.... To God be the glory
abeg tell me what you did make I join you
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by XploraBen(m): 7:17am On Jun 12, 2020
AIT1:

How much do you charge for writing?
₦2.50 per word.
Let's chat on WhatsApp: 08188908226
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Microwhy: 7:22am On Jun 12, 2020
Righteousness89:
At a time I sold Arduino uno Pc and all that programming stuff with no Fore knowledge and Experience. But it was great!
Abeg more light..
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Vickyace(f): 7:26am On Jun 12, 2020
Donald95:
For me, I concluded my schooling (Caritas Private University) and service when i was 22 years. I stayed with my widowed mother till i became 24. That 2 years was full time war because I battled within myself over my non- educated friends that are mostly into tanker and Container motor drivers flourishing while me that much is expected from had nothing but "thank you" whenever i finish eating my mums food ( not jealousy though)

Mid of my 24 years, i moved in to stay with my sister in Enugu. Away from home, i was more free to engage my self no matter how humiliating the work look.

I started with Teaching. I was paid 15k per month, after 5 or 6 months of saving, i rented my own apartment, Used the remaining money to buy rice, tomato paste and beans in large quantities. I made good savings before the year ran out.

The next year, i opened a phone charging place and employed a girl while I was still teaching . Money started flowing in small small. I had about 300k few months later so, I opened Firstmonie outlet.

I started massive saving. I was targeting to open an iron company where i will sell building materials last 2 years, but the required capital is too much so, I went into rice.

I am Thankful to God for where i am today.

You can still make it if you don't have a job. Just start as small as possible.

Move away from home and squat with your sibling or good friend if you are too ashamed or not free to engage yourself.

This is so inspiring and encouraging ���.
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by ublight: 7:29am On Jun 12, 2020
Pentolution:

are you into gospel music?

yes i am
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Brandconsultany: 7:30am On Jun 12, 2020
emmaphy22:
My own case is nothing to write home about.
I'm in my late twenties and this month will make it exactly one year that I completed my youth service. To cut the long story short, I've been sitting down at home for close to a year now doing nothing. I'm still roaming around the streets of abuja submitting CV but no positive response. I've search for menial jobs non is forth coming. I intend starting a business but no capital, learning a skill from anywhere now involves you to pay money for apprenticeship. The worst of it all is that my family members don't even care weather I'm still alive or dead. I'm scouting with someone right down and I'm sure the person will be tired of me soon. Suicide thoughts is just coming to my mind every time. I'm willing to start small but that small self no won gree start o. I'm fed up with life.
My dear brother we've all been created to be trail blazers in life. I've seen it all yet I've never contemplated suicide,I've had court cases and police arrests here and there yet I've never thought of it. Mind you all these above pains I'm talking about in the process of scouting for my daily bread as I'm into contracting. So just believe in yourself first that you can do it. Also,you need to rewire your mind to function more from the positive side which is called possibility thinking. Read through Google about the stories of some of the world's greatest and fulfilled achievers you would see that yours is nothing but a piece of cake. You can reach me on my WhatsApp handle maybe I can help you further on perfect way out : 07067528451

2 Likes

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Niceguyyy: 7:33am On Jun 12, 2020
Kokoebapluse:
Am 26 years old am still schooling, i dont have any job but inshallah am planning to go and learn a skill auto electrical ( rewire) here in Kaduna after lockdwon.
With Peugeot right?

1 Like

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by paulolee(m): 7:34am On Jun 12, 2020
mperornero:
abeg you fit dey help me with 2odds?
market neva start today na....if i enta today i go find...jus remind me for afternoon b4 6pm...bt abeg d odds dm no sure oo...go gv u like 10 games and u go select d odds u nid...leter shaa...mk i enta office

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by paulolee(m): 7:35am On Jun 12, 2020
Pentolution:

go learn work under someone e.g barbing, welding, furniture. the look dirty but the they make a lot of money.
hmmm...av done barbing and welding...learnt nothing bt endes up frustrated...mayb na bcoz it wasnt my passion and i learnt them under boredom n frustration..
Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by Nobody: 7:41am On Jun 12, 2020
paulolee:

hmmm...av done barbing and welding...learnt nothing bt endes up frustrated...mayb na bcoz it wasnt my passion and i learnt them under boredom n frustration..

its because you did not know the value of it. I worked as a contract staff for a bank and discovered that our top 50 customers are apprentice, business owners, artisans. they make a lot of money. one thing is that if you are good at what you do and market yourself well, you will smile to the bank.

1 Like

Re: How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? by azadus18: 7:52am On Jun 12, 2020
Mykel51:

What school is that if I may ask ?
spy school..lolz...

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Sandra: From Gokada Driver To Uber Driver Courtesy Of Kokun Foundation (Pics) / Police Officer, Uju Okeke Promoted Today. Shares Photos / National Association Of Unemployed Graduates(NAUG)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.