Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,626 members, 7,809,337 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary (26994 Views)

Reno Omokri: I Am Opposed To General Buhari But Sowore Lied / El-Rufai: Northern Governors Ready To Confront Anyone Opposed To Ending Almajiri / 377 Wards’ Chairmen Endorse Sanwo-olu, Ambode, Others To Face Direct Primary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by walex2(m): 10:48am On May 25, 2020
Senudi96:

His reason can be summed as half truth, because the main election can also spread the virus and also gathering delegates from all LGA in one place can also spread the virus. I don't have any political affiliation, but I think Obaseki is just doing what a typical political in his shoes will do. Gud for him.
correct man, the best submission so far
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by Austino50: 10:56am On May 25, 2020
If Obasiki is using covid-19 as an excuse for asking for indirect primary....would INEC also use indirect method for the election because of covid-19? Obasiki you know you have no case, Edo APC primary is direct primary period

1 Like

Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by Austino50: 10:59am On May 25, 2020
If INEC have decided to go ahead with the election in the mist of Covid-19, then having direct primary is not an issue at all.....just get prepare by providing nesscarry protectives
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by enakata: 11:00am On May 25, 2020
Hello Obaseki, allow direct primaries and use Ghana must-go bag to pack your things outa govt house. Oshomole can rig for AFRICA. REMEMBER HOW HE RIGGED YOU IN.
Better wake up and never allow that to happen

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by Adayi1(m): 11:04am On May 25, 2020
For me... This is a lame excuse. In indirect primary, delegates from various part of the State at least 1500 persons will gather In same location and thereafter went back to their community with the disease if any of them get infected. That means more communities will have new case unlike direct primary where party members from the same localities will go to a common location in the community to vote thereby preventing community to community spread. Just my one cent anyway
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by Stephenomozzy(m): 11:10am On May 25, 2020
tinsel:

And you are clamouring for the full opening of the economy? Right now markets are open.

What has the method of primaries got to do with opening an economy?
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by udatso: 11:19am On May 25, 2020
obataokenwa:
Nothing concern us with una problem. My own is let the party have more crisis so Edo will fall to the hand of PDP like in Zamfara and Rivers State.
cool cool cool

Just that Edo PDP no dey see opportunity here to help destroy them. Wike really dealt with Amaechi
Anyone who wishes PDP on Edo state again is an enemy of the state. It's only my home training that stops me from swearing for anyone who supports PDP in Edo state. Any body who had a hand in the underdevelopment of Edo state, may God destroy him/her. For the good of the edo people , I hope this issue is sorted out amicably by the APC.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by pinacole1(m): 11:25am On May 25, 2020
skedman:
Oga direct primaries is still the best and that is what inec is using for the same election
Having division of people in different unit is better than having different delegate cluster together from different town in one place
Obaseki

Boss u 're wise, ur analysis is on point. Direct is still the best if n.a. coro obaseki de fear
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by nickxtra(m): 11:57am On May 25, 2020
Born2Breed:
Oshiomole only concern is removing Obaseki.

He doesn't care about the people who would be infected.

After all his family members are safely tucked in Abuja and his fortress @Iyamoh.

Indirect will curb the spread and Obaseki must insist on indirect or disrupt the process.

Before you made a senseless comment, go and do research and understand which is better health wise, between indirect and direct primary elections. To tutor you, in direct primary, voters, normally in low number of like 100 to 200 persons or less, vote in their respective polling units in their localities and no need to travel far to Benin where thousands congregate in one venue to vote. For the Indirect, delegates are sent to Benin, traveling in buses to a single venue, where they congregate like a market place to make their votes. Indirect elections negates the directives of the relevant health authorities as regards social distancing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by Georgry(m): 11:57am On May 25, 2020
Jesusloveyou:
i can see people are afraid of losing,
So as a governor he can also dictate for inec to conduct indirect election in the general election, only those he appoint will vote in primary and general election

Who's afraid of losing a free and fair direct election? Oshiomhole that can rig gubernatorial elections shamelessly in Kano, Osun, kogi e.t.c what do you think he would do with the direct primary? Guy rest you here? You no dey Edo state.
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by bolaayenimo: 11:57am On May 25, 2020
Abi ooo

Stephenomozzy:

What has the method of primaries got to do with opening an economy?
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by ProsFx114(m): 12:09pm On May 25, 2020
Somebody who rigged atiku who is obaseki.oga governor time to pack.osho no get joy o
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by obataokenwa(m): 12:12pm On May 25, 2020
udatso:

Anyone who wishes PDP on Edo state again is an enemy of the state. It's only my home training that stops me from swearing for anyone who supports PDP in Edo state. Any body who had a hand in the underdevelopment of Edo state, may God destroy him/her. For the good of the edo people , I hope this issue is sorted out amicably by the APC.
Bro my people say...a controversy in a land, is the gain of the chiefs and judges
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by obataokenwa(m): 12:18pm On May 25, 2020
patrickmuf:
At the end, what difference does it make? It is appalling that the find folks like you that are still thinking party in 2020 rather than the individual involved. With your ilks around, we just might never get it right.
So we thought that GEJ was bad till Buhari enter. My dear, the savior of Edo State...no one knows. Pray the right person wins and not even Obaseki... controversy can bring in the good person. See Zamfara today...the governor is doing fine
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by hassymo5(m): 12:19pm On May 25, 2020
how did YAHAYA BELLO of kogi got DELEGATE primaries....in this same APC...and OBASEKE is deny same.... AMBODE suffered same....
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by duwdu: 12:26pm On May 25, 2020
DMerciful:
Very thoughtful. Obaseki seems to have a good strategy

LOL; the election proper to be organized by INEC, is even a bigger form of direct primary, and INEC said it would go ahead as planned, COVID19 or not. So Obaseki's reasoning has no basis and will go up in smoke, just as your own post supporting Obaseki's way of reasoning, is in fact an insight into why some of you fail repeatedly in your political permutations and expectations. I think for all practical purposes, Obaseki is a goner as far as the APC gubernatorial primaries, is concerned.

P34c3
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by justified007: 12:32pm On May 25, 2020
FortuneDeGreat:
Having looked into it, I think the reason he gave is sound and appropriate at the moment, it would be stupid of any body to even suggest such a massive gathering all in the name of ordinary party primaries.

If not that Nigeria being what it is, ordinarily, thinking of a direct method won't work but as the powers that be want it, Obaseki is obviously on a losing side.

His reason is not genuine in any way .

Direct primary will occur in each units with maximum of 500 voters in attendant. Some units may not even have up to 50 voters unlike the indirect primary where they will have to camp over 5000 delegates , observers , journalists and all manners of people in a stadium.

It is far better having hundreds of voters scattered away from each other than having a stadium filled with people in the name of a primary election

1 Like

Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by Miracle1991: 12:48pm On May 25, 2020
If he is afraid of 400,000 people, why is he going in an election with over 1.5 million people. He should have not contest the election so that his opponent will be unopposed, in that way he will safe many lives.
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by Babacele: 1:34pm On May 25, 2020
joyandfaith:

Nice. Covid is a very good excus.
how would the main election be conducted? Obaseki is drowning
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by PHILipu1(m): 2:31pm On May 25, 2020
Born2Breed:

After all his family members are safely tucked in Abuja and his fortress @Iyamoh.

Indirect will curb the spread and Obaseki must insist on indirect or disrupt the process.

So,will the main election be indirect too since the main election comes up few weeks after the party primaries?
The fact is that the indirect primary that you will gather about 30k delegates in a venue is more dangerous than direct primary that every APC member will vote in their polling unit and social distancing can easily be done.

Majority Edo APC members prefer the direct primary so that we can all choose who will get our ticket.

We will not allow Obaseki hand picked SSA and SA call delegates to decide for us.
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by mrkia(m): 2:32pm On May 25, 2020
Thought they said this Man is popular...lol
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by forgiveness: 2:53pm On May 25, 2020
Biofil84:
I said it this Obaseki guy is a technocrat can u imagine the weapon he is using to counter osho direct primary method, a very valid weapon.

Osho should rest and allow this guy finish the remaining 4 years, he was also given same chance so he shouldn't deprive others of thier own privilege.

Hnmmm if this guy enta for his 2nd term in office eeeeeeh osho will need to feel a form before entering Edo state and write an exam before entering his village.

Who will vote during the main election? Ghost? grin
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by professore(m): 3:01pm On May 25, 2020
ForeThinker:
Life is a lot more fragile than we think. So you should treat others in a way that leaves no regrets. Fairly, and if possible, sincerely.
Kudos. I wonder why people don't hit likes and share on very reasonable comments.

1 Like

Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by Omotakins(m): 3:08pm On May 25, 2020
He is only trying to circumvent what befell Ambode-the immediate past governor of Lagos state. There is every likelihood he loses if direct primary is conducted.
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by 7lives: 3:32pm On May 25, 2020
whizzler:

Exactly!!! Having 6000 plus delegate gather in one place is likely to pose more danger to the spread of the virus than having less than 200 (in some units) card carrying members gather in one place and vote.
This excuse by the governor does not hold water

Finally, a sensible post.
Only God knows what happened to Obaseki's brain, he thinks everyone is an idiot like him.
Imagine such a useless excuse, he should come up with a better excuse.
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by 7lives: 3:38pm On May 25, 2020
stickle:
Meaning the general election will also be indirect?
While not trying to make case for godfatherism but the lesson here is that, don't destroy the ladder that lift you up, you may need it to come down.
Simple wisdom would have enable this man to manage whatever was and is the difference between Oshiomole and himself. Fashola did it with Tinubu and was able to finish his second term, they also try stopping him from being appointed as a minister but he also managed the situation.
I am against Obaseki's approach, beside God Oshiomole was reason he is governor today. He should have a reason to be grateful and not plotting national emberrashment for his benefactor.
My long story is; Obaseki is not a wise person. Those hailing him today will stone him once he is out of power. This is Nigeria!

Word.
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by 7lives: 3:42pm On May 25, 2020
DTaj:
The daft, ungrateful Obaseki was in Lagos (as CEO of Afrinvest) when this same Oshiomhole invited him into government and made him DG of the Edo State Economic Management Team; and despite the huge resistance of his longstanding political friends and associates (and some of them abandoned Oshiomhole because of Obaseki), he did EVERYTHING to have Obaseki elected as Governor!

I have a friend in Edo State public service hierarchy who told me that Obaseki was so powerful under Oshiomhole that he practically sidestepped the Deputy Governor, Pius Odubu. Yet, this same Obaseki has insulted Oshiomhole to the heavens and back. He has also allowed nonentities like Osagie and other fools to continue to insult Oshiomhole every day.

Some people say Oshiomhole should forgive Obaseki. How? The father (Oshiomhole) had long kept quiet, yet, the son (Obaseki) mounts the podium personally and through his appointees and daft minions (such as Oyegun) to insult the father EVERYDAY! Yet, you want forgiveness! Now, he has gone, with his tails by his legs, to beg Tinubu to help him in his already failed plot. I dey laugh!

I do not care whatever caused the rift between those two; however, I dislike UNGRATEFUL PEOPLE! Obaseki should start packing his bags, as he returns to Lagos soon. He should ask Ambode for the handout on ‘political treachery and ingratitude’.

And talking about Covid-19 and APC primaries; Obaseki is just being clever by half! A direct primary will NOT involve putting 400,000 people in one location. That was a thoughtless lie! Direct primaries are done at Local Government headquarters of political parties. The Edo direct primaries can be successfully done through social distancing and wearing of face mask at each LG secretariat of APC.

Now, to even stretch Obaseki’s dumb reason further, would he ask INEC to conduct indirect election in September? Won’t Edo people still gather in their polling booths to vote amidst Covid-19

Obaseki, you are already gone. Start planning your retirement back to Lagos, Ikoyi precisely!

Wow.
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by 2gbasky22(m): 6:24pm On May 25, 2020
the power of incumbent will take preeminence.

ban gathering of of more than 10 persons
simple matter.

if that direct primary takes place, it will be more deadly than the presidential election.

it America war film plus 44 minutes.... pit together.
blood bath. these politicians will do anything to gain power
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by seleroms2(m): 7:06pm On May 25, 2020
nairavsdollars:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

https://www.independent.ng/edo-2020-why-im-opposed-to-direct-primary-obaseki/
Suleiman Wambai, North-Central National Vice-President (VP) of All Progressives Congress (APC), says direct primary election in Edo is the only way to go to avoid a repeat of the Zamfara experience.

The APC chieftain stated this while briefing newsmen on Monday in Lafia.

According the him, there are three ways candidates of the party can emerge in any state.

“A candidate can emerge either through consensus, direct or indirect primaries, depending on what the party decides in any given state.

“The leadership of the party at the state level has been empowered by the APC constitution, to decide which mode of primaries to adopt in their state,” the vice-president said.

Wambai, however, stated that the national headquarters of the party decided a direct primaries for the upcoming election in Edo because there were factions in the state.

“If you allow any of the factions to select the governorship candidate for the party in the state, it can be quashed by the court, just like it happened in Zamfara during the 2019 elections.

“So, to avoid the Zamfara experience, the party at the national level decided that direct primaries is the only way out,” Wambai stated.
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by DMerciful(m): 7:19pm On May 25, 2020
Who cares if he goes or not? Like I said he has a strong case for the direct primaries using covid as a necessary excuse. The election proper is still far away so they may have been a solid cure for covid by then to change the dynamics regarding INEC conduct
duwdu:

LOL; the election proper to be organized by INEC, is even a bigger form of direct primary, and INEC said it would go ahead as planned, COVID19 or not. So Obaseki's reasoning has no basis and will go up in smoke, just as your own post supporting Obaseki's way of reasoning, is in fact an insight into why some of you fail repeatedly in your political permutations and expectations. I think for all practical purposes, Obaseki is a goner as far as the APC gubernatorial primaries, is concerned.

P34c3
Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by Born2Breed(f): 8:08pm On May 25, 2020
nickxtra:
Before you made a senseless comment, go and do research and understand which is better health wise, between indirect and direct primary elections. To tutor you, in direct primary, voters, normally in low number of like 100 to 200 persons or less, vote in their respective polling units in their localities and no need to travel far to Benin where thousands congregate in one venue to vote. For the Indirect, delegates are sent to Benin, traveling in buses to a single venue, where they congregate like a market place to make their votes. Indirect elections negates the directives of the relevant health authorities as regards social distancing.

Let me dignify your silly mention with a response because vile morons like you don't really deserve it.

Below are the images of indirect and direct primary. Ogbe Stadium has more than enough space for the delegates to maintain social distancing.

Re: Obaseki: Why I Am Opposed To Direct Primary by adekolaelect(m): 8:08pm On May 25, 2020
Born2Breed:

sorry I mistakenly like your post .I hereby withdraw it bcs it has no element fact and sensibility .to prove me wrong !! Is Edo state governorship election going to hold in delegation form by INEC to avoids pandemic in their states ? If you insist on secret ballot for primary election !! Are they going to conduct their states election in secret like inter party primary you approved to be secret? Why are you supporting governorship election in general ballot voting but you failed to approve primary election in general ballots voting? Which one required more gardening of people between primary election and general state's election ? Partisan politics has limited your reasoning ability .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Calm At Lekki Toll Gate As Police Stop Planned Protest / Obigbo Women Wore Same Underwear For 4 Months In Army Detention - Intersociety / How Suspended NPA MD, Hadiza Bala Ceded Intels Terminals To Dangote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.