Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding (34805 Views)

Buhari Directs NCDC To Recall Retired Staff / Buhari Directs Osinbajo To Seek Approvals For Agencies Under Him / Buhari Directs NNPC To Take Over The Operations Of Oil Wells (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Okoroawusa: 9:16pm On May 27, 2020
dreu2fine:

could it be the project haba kyari went for
Yes
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by NGpatriot: 9:16pm On May 27, 2020
Bluffly:
Quite appaling that with the worth of education in this country and those that have studied outside and the bunch of professors we have, administrators, accountants, consultants we can't but do nothing or make something work ourselves. Imagine the worth of our wealth that will patronize the Germans

Is a black man's world a dooms day?

Siemens operate all over the world even in America and the most educated and advanced countries on the surface of the earth so what's so bad or special about Nigeria employing the best people to deliver what we want?

What are you doing or studying or in what way are you helping out to play your own part, help Nigeria?

It's not by force to comment.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by universe26(m): 9:18pm On May 27, 2020
Will never trust my country, untill it is ruled by a leader(s) and not thieves!
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Okoroawusa: 9:18pm On May 27, 2020
lastempero:
Unbundle and liberate the power sector simple!!!!

How can you upgrade a collapsed system
Jonathan deals with the DISCOS,GenCos n co made that impossible. FG will have law suits coming out its ass.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Realdeals(m): 9:21pm On May 27, 2020
What is the timeline for deliverables?
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by NGpatriot: 9:24pm On May 27, 2020
OhBiafra:
This project is not adding a single megawatt to the grid. Absolute rubbish

You are wrong, thousands of MWs are not making it to our homes due to leakages within our transmission and distribution system, Siemens is going to address all that with updates and modernization of our power infrastructure across-the-board and value chain.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by NGpatriot: 9:28pm On May 27, 2020
Okoroawusa:

Jonathan deals with the DISCOS,GenCos n co made that impossible. FG will have law suits coming out its ass.

Jonathan and his crew did us wrong, they sold us into bondage that we can not even get out of, but nothing is impossible, I say buy back their contracts and deal with the consequences, heaven won't fall and it's for the better anyway.

The discos and gencos are money pits, they are not performing and we keep feeding them money like kalo kalo..
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Okoroawusa: 9:32pm On May 27, 2020
NGpatriot:

Jonathan and his crew did us wrong, they sold us into bondage that we can not even get out of, but nothing is impossible, I say buy back their contracts and deal with the consequences, heaven won't fall and it's for the better anyway.

The discos and gencos are money pits, they are not performing and we keep feeding them money like kalo kalo..
It will be too messy a fight n can delay any major decisions you want to take.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by OhBiafra: 9:36pm On May 27, 2020
NGpatriot:

You are wrong, thousands of MWs are not making it to our homes due to leakages within our transmission and distribution system, Siemens is going to address all that with updates and modernization of our power infrastructure across-the-board and value chain.

What is our total installed capacity at the moment? How far can that take us?
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by lastempero: 9:39pm On May 27, 2020
Okoroawusa:

They should propose a constitutional amemdment to that affect, thats what i meant by unbundling. Empower private companies to generate and distribute power and thats it. The discos and gencos cant fight the constitution.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by ehinmowo: 9:41pm On May 27, 2020
myboy2111:
I have gone through Siemens Electricity Road Map, I think is a good one

God Bless President Buhari
God Bless Federal Republic of Nigeria

The link pls?
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by lastempero: 9:42pm On May 27, 2020
Okoroawusa:

The executive can play a smart one on them, constitution amendment plays the trick.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Olominira(m): 9:52pm On May 27, 2020
MajorOvakporaye:
scam!

stupid and useless man!!!
You don't need to be too bitter. Sometimes, you would need to reflect on something outside politics and numerous issues facing the country.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by NGpatriot: 9:55pm On May 27, 2020
OhBiafra:
What is our total installed capacity at the moment? How far can that take us?

You can generate 1 million MW, it's still useless if your weak and obsolete transmission and distribution infrastructures can not deliver the generated and transmitted power into your house.

Our immediate problem is not just generation, it's transmission, distribution, metering, billing and so on and if you don't take care of all that, you are just wasting your time, spinning your wheels and wasting money and MWs.

Lay proper foundation before your build your mansion, it's called penny wise, pound foolish.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by NGpatriot: 10:02pm On May 27, 2020
Okoroawusa:

You are right, but this is a mater of economic emergency and national security, we need to take bold actions to deal with this problem once and for all and let the chips fall wherever as long as the end will justify the means.

We can deal with litigation and court cases by sweeping them aside with national emergency declaration.

Sounds drastic, but almost 7 decades of darkness and still not getting anywhere means we must do something.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Bluffly: 10:10pm On May 27, 2020
NGpatriot:

Siemens operate all over the world even in America and the most educated and advanced countries on the surface of the earth so what's so bad or special about Nigeria employing the best people to deliver what we want?

What are you doing or studying or in what way are you helping out to play your own part, help Nigeria?

It's not by force to comment.

What a derailing perspective. It's not by force to quote comments
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Bosstrendsng(m): 10:37pm On May 27, 2020

“Our goal is simply to deliver electricity to Nigerian businesses and homes… Our intention is to ensure that our cooperation is structured under a Govt-to-Govt framework. No middlemen will be involved, so that we can achieve value for money for Nigerians.” — President Buhari
[color=#550000][/color]

Sounds like a real deal.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by lakesider(m): 10:44pm On May 27, 2020
recievesense:
Government wants to invest in everything about power but exclude new sources of power? Abeg make it make sense. The German company is coming from a country that pays people to use electricity due to surplus but want to come and make money here? Naija na scam

Stop spreading lies. Germany is one of the country's of the world with expensive electricity.. I know it cos I pay it.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 11:01pm On May 27, 2020
Anything to help improve electricity output in Nigeria is welcomed by me, just praying it will work out this time....

As every other government gave their best to upgrade the power sector but failed woefully...

Is there any hope from Buhari's administration?...
Let's pray for better days in Nigeria then....
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by NGpatriot: 11:08pm On May 27, 2020
[s]
Bluffly:

What a derailing perspective. It's not by force to quote comments
[/s]

You don't have to quote me if you have nothing intelligent to say.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Bluffly: 11:10pm On May 27, 2020
NGpatriot:
[s][/s]

You don't have to quote me if you have nothing intelligent to say.
Don't quote people if you don't want to be quoted. Simple rule and stop being full of yourself.
Good night
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by majole: 11:17pm On May 27, 2020
Until it is done, is another noise. Too much talk no action
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 27, 2020
presidency:
President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Ministries of Power and Finance, and the Bureau of Public Enterprise (BPE) to conclude the engagement with Siemens AG to commence the pre-engineering and concessionary financing aspects of the Presidential Power Initiative.

The Presidential Power Initiative (PPI) is a power infrastructure upgrade and modernization Programme agreed to by Federal Government of Nigeria and Siemens AG of Germany, with the support of the German Government.

Under the PPI, the Federal Government will on behalf of the other shareholders in the Electricity Distribution Companies invest in infrastructure upgrades in the form of improved payment systems, distribution substations, transformers, protection devices, smart meters, transmission lines, etc.

All DisCos have, directly, and through the BPE, been diligently carried along over the last 15 months to understand in detail the challenges in the electricity systems.

All items to be purchased were provided by the DisCos and Transmission Company of Nigeria and they will be vetted by a professional Project Management Office.

The funding for the PPI will be secured under concessionary terms (up to 3-year moratorium and 12-year repayment at concessionary interest rates) through the German Euler Hermes cover, which the Federal Government will on-lend as a convertible loan to the other shareholders in the DisCos.

President Buhari has approved the release of funding for the first part of Phase 1 of the PPI, to kick-off the pre-engineering and concession financing workstreams.

To ensure fairness and transparency of the intervention, the President has also directed that the Federal Government engage the International Finance Corporation (‘IFC’) to assist in developing the commercial structure of the intervention under this Presidential Power Initiative (PPI), as well as in undertaking an independent company valuation of the DisCos.

The President has also directed that to ensure value for money and preserve the integrity & transparency of the procurement process under the Govt-to-Govt framework, Siemens AG shall be solely responsible for nominating its EPC partners to perform all onshore works; NO middlemen.

“Our goal is simply to deliver electricity to Nigerian businesses and homes… Our intention is to ensure that our cooperation is structured under a Govt-to-Govt framework. No middlemen will be involved, so that we can achieve value for money for Nigerians.” — President Buhari

The PPI journey started on August 31, 2018, when Chancellor Angela Merkel visited Nigeria and met with President Buhari.

Chancellor brought along with her a business delegation that included the Global CEO of Siemens. Nigeria and Germany agreed to explore cooperation in a number of areas, including Power.

The Presidential Power Initiative (PPI):

a. Will deliver improved power supply nationwide, with attendant results in job creation, investor confidence, cost and ease of doing business and economic growth.

b. Will provide training and capacity building for thousands of young Nigerians (non-graduates, students and graduates)

c. Will create economic opportunities for Nigerian engineering companies that will serve as local vendors for the provision of manpower and equipment.

d. Will stimulate/encourage inflow of additional investment into the power sector.

The ultimate goal of the PPI is to modernize and increase the Nigerian electricity grid capacity from about 5 GW currently to 25 GW, over three phases.

Rubbish.

Fully allow power generation to be managed by private firms.

Simple
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Jamescyray(m): 11:49pm On May 27, 2020
post=90024669:
This is the only way the brain of a wailer works.
Nothing more in there, than negativity!
We understand.....
Happy wailing till 2023 and beyond.... tongue
You are minding the guy. Some people don't have the capacity to identity or/and appreciate good things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by NGpatriot: 11:50pm On May 27, 2020
“The signing of the Nigeria Electrification Roadmap is a major milestone in the partnership between Nigeria and Germany as well as Nigerian companies and Siemens,” said Joe Kaeser, President and CEO of Siemens AG. “Its implementation will significantly enhance Nigeria`s energy system, create thousands of new qualified jobs and will enable the country and its people for the next level of industrial and societal development.”

Nigeria`s power system is suffering from an imbalance between power generation and consumption. Despite more than 13,000 megawatts (MW) of power generation capacity in the country, only an average of 3,400 MW reliably reaches consumers. The inadequate power supply results in regular blackouts and has stunted the Nigeria`s economic development. Removing severe bottlenecks within the transmission and distribution grid is necessary to allow free flow of electricity. Against this background, the Federal Government of Nigeria and Siemens have defined the Nigeria Electrification Roadmap.

The Roadmap is structured in three phases.

Phase 1 is focusing on essential and quick-win measures to increase the system`s end-to-end operational capacity to 7,000 MW.

Phase 2 is targeting remaining network bottleneck`s to enable full use of existing generation and distribution capacities, bringing the systems operational capacity to 11,000 MW.

Phase 3 is developing the system up to 25,000 MW in the long-term. This includes upgrades and expansions in both generation, transmission and distribution.

https://press.siemens.com/global/en/pressrelease/siemens-and-nigerian-government-signed-implementation-agreement-electrification

In a nutshell, this is the agreement and what it's going to addressed.

First, free up the thousands of trapped MW and develop the whole system up to 25,000 MW.

Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by funkei: 12:08am On May 28, 2020
myboy2111:
I have gone through Siemens Electricity Road Map, I think is a good one

God Bless President Buhari
God Bless Federal Republic of Nigeria
How is it good? Is it because of the beautiful colour presentation and diagramatics, as far as I am concerned the road map is to give Siemens a good opportunity to make money in finding market for their products. Why spend so much money on the transmission that is weak and old to improve it from 5GW to 7GW by installing 11 container substations and would not get involved in the upgrade of transmission line. I can understand why they had to sack the MD transmission as no optimum result relative to the huge capital outlay.
Huge cost on automation and training. We need simple solutions and you cannot copy and paste what is in advance countries and expect good results. Siemens cannot solve our power problems as they are manufacturers not service support providers.
Its like bringing Boeing or Embraer who manufacture aircraft to come and run and airline.
Some powerful Nigerians are behind this and as usual vested interest. Was Siemens not enmeshed in huge corruption scandal in Nigeria about 10 Years ago.
Our country is full of intrigues and too much vested interest that would not make us carry out due diligence. I have my strong skeptism over this roadmap. I pray it works as it may be a last ditch effort in our time.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by PropertyBuying(f): 12:12am On May 28, 2020
NextPresido:
Is this going to provide the 24hrs electricity they promised Nigerians in 2015?
I wonder angry grin
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by recievesense: 12:20am On May 28, 2020
lakesider:

Stop spreading lies. Germany is one of the country's of the world with expensive electricity.. I know it cos I pay it.

Yes the bill is high but during the hols it goes down to negative
[url]https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/environment/germany-power-grid-pays-customers-christmas-sustainability-renewable-energy-a8141431.html%3famp[/url]

But how does this your debunking help the arguement?
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Kubernetes: 12:25am On May 28, 2020
NextPresido:
Is this going to provide the 24hrs electricity they promised Nigerians in 2015?

From the current 5GW to the proposed 25GW,if at the end if the day,we get 15GW that will be unprecedented in Nigerian history in the last 35yrs.
Remember OBJ squandered $16b and nothing to show for it.This was what Abba Kyari died for and as such I expect buhari to put the process in motion such that at least 85% on this project will see Tru.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by NGpatriot: 12:31am On May 28, 2020
funkei:

How is it good? Is it because of the beautiful colour presentation and diagramatics, as far as I am concerned the road map is to give Siemens a good opportunity to make money in finding market for their products. Why spend so much money on the transmission that is weak and old to improve it from 5GW to 7GW by installing 11 container substations and would not get involved in the upgrade of transmission line. I can understand why they had to sack the MD transmission as no optimum result relative to the huge capital outlay.
Huge cost on automation and training. We need simple solutions and you cannot copy and paste what is in advance countries and expect good results. Siemens cannot solve our power problems as they are manufacturers not service support providers.
Its like bringing Boeing or Embraer who manufacture aircraft to come and run and airline.
Some powerful Nigerians are behind this and as usual vested interest. Was Siemens not enmeshed in huge corruption scandal in Nigeria about 10 Years ago.
Our country is full of intrigues and too much vested interest that would not make us carry out due diligence. I have my strong skeptism over this roadmap. I pray it works as it may be a last ditch effort in our time.

People like you spend so much time criticizing and ridiculing everything, but at the end of the day, your so called great insights are always void of sensible and practical solutions of your own.

Why not just educate us per your own road map and what we stand to benefit from your fantastic ideas and how they are better based on your own power audit, the one you conducted to ascertain the fault-lines, the deficiencies across the board from gas transportation, power management, power generation and transmission, billing, metering, financing, generation and transmission forecasts and how to develop generations and transmission to 25,000MW.

I'd even love to hear more about your simple solutions, but I'm 100% sure you don't know anything and you won't come up with anything sane and rational.
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by Nobody: 1:05am On May 28, 2020
Well done
Re: President Buhari Directs Kick-Off of PPI; Approves Funding by funkei: 1:29am On May 28, 2020
My solution is simple, look for home grown solutions and seek external support in areas we are weak. India has similar attributes and believe you me more cost effective than any thing Europe, as the German support comes at a huge price.

There are Nigerians who understand our problems more than these foreigners but would not be allowed to get involved for selfish reasons.
They say the national grid cannot carry more than 5GW and the Discos in Eko, Ibadan and Ikeja are the heaviest.
Section or unbundle the heavy part of the grid in the West and supply with gen stations nearby. That will give stability and reliability to the transmission line.

Just as we need to restructure a lot of our system, we need to sectionalize our power system as it is unwieldy.

We must improve off grid supplies by reducing extensive transmission lines from generation to load centres.

People like you spend so much time criticizing and ridiculing everything, but at the end of the day, your so called great insights are always void of sensible and practical solutions of your own.

Why not just educate us per your own road map and what we stand to benefit from your fantastic ideas and how they are better based on your own power audit, the one you conducted to ascertain the fault-lines, the deficiencies across the board from gas transportation, power management, power generation and transmission, billing, metering, financing, generation and transmission forecasts and how to develop generations and transmission to 25,000MW.

I'd even love to hear more about your simple solutions, but I'm 100% sure you don't know anything and you won't come up with anything sane and rational.

[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Would You Prefer To Be Nigeria's Next President and Vice president? / Edwin Clark Asks Jega To Resign / Abians Throw Pure Water, Stones At T.A Orji At The Burial Of Dr. Elechi Nwaogbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.