Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,801 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina (31001 Views)

Enugu 2023: The Detractors Are At It Again, Public Beware - Victor Chigozie Eneh / Detractors Are Out To Destabilise Peace, Tranquility In Enugu – Nwodo / My Detractors Must Apologise To Imo APC, Says Gov Okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by noleflendum: 11:59am On May 28, 2020
If he was Igho some children of hate will be blaming PMB by now
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Revere27: 11:59am On May 28, 2020
tongue
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by africandollar: 11:59am On May 28, 2020
I will personally deal with anyone who dares say or input evil on this man right here. US wey wan probe are they not the most ‘fantastically’ corrupt nation on earth? Definitely the guy has an agenda that favours Africa over the US hence the reason for the witch-hunt.

We are no longer oblivious to the blame-and-conquer principle US has successfully used in the past against leaders like Gaddafi and Saddam so they should please shift to one side and show their true color being the oppressor that they are instead of hiding behind some flimsy excuse to perpetrate their takeover agenda.

2 Likes

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Fragility6: 12:00pm On May 28, 2020
Oga deny the allegations with proofs. Enough of this nationality shit.If a Nigerian abuses his position we should call dem out not trying to stand for them bcox of nationality wateva. Later we go dey yab incompetemt bubu for not prosecuting northerners. This has to stop
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by OKTolu: 12:01pm On May 28, 2020
Mr Akinwumi if you're telling us the truth, time will tell,the truth will always comes out sir
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by iwaeda: 12:01pm On May 28, 2020
Maxymilliano:

Exonerated earlier by the the ethics committee of the board of directors of the bank, which Adesina is the President. .

The United States did not level any allegations against him, The US government is only asking for independent probe of allegations leveled against him by whistle-blower.

Ok let the whistle blow, nothing will be found after the match!
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by SoNature(m): 12:02pm On May 28, 2020
Obviously, insiders are dealing with him

The US seems to know too much about everything he did, which shows that some insider is really dealing with him
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Realdeals(m): 12:02pm On May 28, 2020
So imagine that bulk of the fund spent by AfDB are not contributions from African countries is bad, yet they spent it lavishly.
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by wink2015(m): 12:02pm On May 28, 2020
President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Akinwunmi Adesina, has revealed more details on why the U.S. government may be deliberately pushing for a fresh probe of allegations of impropriety and fraud against him.

The United States’ insistence is despite the clean bill of health given to Mr Adesina by the board of directors of the bank.

Mr Adesina, in a memo seen by PREMIUM TIMES, said the move to get him out, perhaps at all costs, is linked to his re-election bid and not as a result of any fraudulent action on his part.

Background

On May 5, the ethics committee of the board of directors of the continental bank said in its report that Mr Adesina was not guilty of any of the 16 allegations contained in a petition brought before it by a “Group of Concerned Staff” of the Bank.

The committee headed by Takuji Yano, the institution’s Japanese Executive Director charged with the responsibility of investigating the allegations, described as “spurious and unfounded” claims that Mr Adesina violated the code of conduct of the Bank.

In its petition sent to the committee on January 19, 2020, the “concerned staff members” accused Mr Adesina of 16 breaches of the bank’s code of conduct, including “unethical conduct, private gain, an impediment to efficiency, preferential treatment, and involvement in political activities.”

Copies of the petition were also sent to both the Director of the Integrity & Anti-Corruption office (PIAC) of the Bank, and the Chairperson of the Audit & Finance Committee (AUFI) in line with the Bank’s “Whistleblowing and Complaints Handling Policy”.

Between February 4 and April 9, 2020, the ethics committee held series of meetings to review documents and presentations as it conducted “preliminary examination” of the allegations against Mr Adesina to establish whether they were “based on any objective and solid facts” pursuant to Resolution No. B/BG/2008/11.

Resolution No. B/BG/2008/11 adopted at the 43rd Annual Meeting of the Board of the Bank held on May 14, 2008 made the Code of Conduct for its Executive Directors and those of the African Development Fund (ADF) also applicable to the President of the Bank Group.

Apart from the petition, other documents reviewed during the series of meetings by the committee included the confidential memo submitted by Mr Adesina detailing his defence of the allegations against him.

U.S. agenda?

However, despite all the facts, which formed the basis of the committee’s submission to the board of governors after its preliminary examination, the U.S government still expressed “deep reservations about the integrity of the Committee’s process”.

In its letter of May 22, 2020 to the Chairman of the Ethics Committee, the U.S. government, through the Secretary, Department of Treasury, Steven Mnuchin, faulted the committee’s decision to “totally exonerate” Mr Adesina of all allegations.

Noting that it was not yet time to make such a declaration, Mr Mnuchin called for a fresh “in-depth investigation of the allegations against Mr Adesina.”

“We have deep reservations about the integrity of the Committee’s process. Instead, we urge you to initiate an in-depth investigation of the allegations using the services of an independent outside investigator of high professional standing. We emphasise that undertaking an independent evaluation of facts, at any stage, is not at odds with a presumption of innocence,” Mr Mnuchin wrote.

“The allegations set out in the whistleblower complaint submitted on January 19, 2020 raise significant issues that all relevant governing bodies of the Bank must handle with the utmost care, using all tools available to them,” he added.

But, a review of the confidential memo submitted by Mr Adesina to the committee on April 8 detailing a point-by-point response to all the 16 allegations, appears to have given an inkling into the possible reasons why the U.S government is insisting on a fresh and deeper probe into the matter.

Mr Adesina’s memo obtained by PREMIUM TIMES on Monday suggests the allegations by the “Group of Concerned Staff” may have political undertones linking his bid for re-election in the forthcoming AfDB Presidency elections in August.

‘Why I’m being victimised’

In the memo, Mr Adesina accused the petitioners of violating Section 6.7.2 of the Whistle Blowing Policy of the bank by breaching the confidentiality of the proceedings of the matter by making public disclosure of the matter beyond submission to the ethics committee.

He accused the petitioners of disclosing their allegations beyond the committee “by acting in concert with others outside the AfDB system”.

“The point about others acting in concert with the whistle-blowers is not speculation. A group of independent Bank staff members apparently wrote a “Disassociation Note” on March 9, 2020, in which they explained that they had been members of a group called “Group of Concerned Staff Members,” namely the whistle-blowers behind the Disclosure, but that they had been “manipulated by a group of non-regional Executive Directors behind Mr (Steven) Dowd, not for the good governance of the African Bank of Development, but to discredit the candidacy of the current President for his re-election,” Mr Adesina said in his memo to the committee.

“Certainly if the Disassociation Note is to be believed, and there is no reason not to believe it, the whistle-blowers’ complaint cannot be considered to be in good faith, because it was not designed to expose fraud, corruption or other misconduct. Instead it had another ulterior motive,” he added.

Mr Dowd is the U.S. government representative at the bank.

Mr Adesina in a statement Wednesday restated his innocence of the allegations.
U.S. in AfDB Group

The United States is one of the Group of seven nations holding 28 per cent investment grade equity in AfDB.

The others include Germany and Japan. About 41 per cent of their Group’s shareholding is held by non-regionals and multilateral development finance institutions.

The AfDB Group comprises three entities: the African Development Bank (AfDB), the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Nigeria Trust Fund (NTF).

The United States has been a member of the ADF since 1976 as well as the AfDB since 1983.

In 2008, the U.S. government, through a bilateral cooperation spelled out in the Memorandum of Understanding with the Bank signed with United State Agency for International Development (USAID), launched a five-year partnership.

The pact was in support of African small and medium-sized enterprises to accelerate investment in Africa.

The agreement also provided co-financing arrangements for a shared contribution of 40 per cent for the bank, 10 per cent for USAID and 50 per cent for other partnering banks.

Another Memorandum of Understanding was concluded in May 2016 with the Millennium Challenge Corporation that provides for sharing information and data, particularly in the power sector, focusing on mobilising private investment.

In addition to developing financial assistance, the U.S. government also provides support for productive investment and local development in the member countries of the AfDB.

Besides, USAID and the AfDB are cooperating on to establish a Multi-Donor Trust Fund for the agriculture sector, among others.

Under the arrangement, the USAID has committed about $11 million to the Multi-Donor Agriculture Fast Track Fund to facilitate project preparation in the agriculture sector in partnership of the African Legal Support Facility and the Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/394892-afdb-why-my-detractors-are-after-me-adesina.html

This is a man that is working hard to keep the AFDB operations working still yet his detractors are still witching hunting him.

After him, America will still go and remove the Ethiopian head of WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Temptee101(m): 12:02pm On May 28, 2020
Mr. Man, go and clear your name

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by PigTormentor: 12:03pm On May 28, 2020
K
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by gaventa: 12:03pm On May 28, 2020
Some Modern slaves will still believe the US is always right despite Adeshina stating his own claims. The earlier we begin to rally around our own no matter what the better for us. Whether right or wrong do not sell your kinsmen cheaply,you can chastise him in person but do not allow outsiders ridicule him because an injury to one is an injury to all. A case of "I can't BREATHE" . If blacks have taken a stand a long time ago no American police will have the audacity to even try such with any other black same applies to whatever concerns Africans. Leave us to ourselves and let's approach our issues Afrocentrically. Screw your grants and funds!

1 Like

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Nobody: 12:03pm On May 28, 2020
iwaeda:

Word! Our over dependency on foreign aids is killing Africa potential. Our gold, crude oil, cocoa and so on are taking out of our land raw and sold to us as finished products at exorbitant prices.
we have no technology to explore and refine ourselves. We. Will keep being under the whites. Any body that tries to do things to better us. They will Bleep him up. They own the world
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Ezedikechinedu1(m): 12:04pm On May 28, 2020
iwaeda:
We are going to mobilise the whole Nigeria to defend this man
You say wetin!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by jubrilELsudan: 12:06pm On May 28, 2020
YOU ARE A VERY STUPID MAN.

IF YOU ARE INNOCENT OF THOSE ALLEGATIONS, CAN YOUR DETRACTORS FRAME YOU FOR THEM.

IF YOUR CUPBOARD IS VERY CLEAN CAN THE CLEANERS FIND SKELETONS IN IT?

CORONA FALL INSIDE YOUR ANUS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by MasterKernel: 12:06pm On May 28, 2020
seunmsg:

“The point about others acting in concert with the whistle-blowers is not speculation. A group of independent Bank staff members apparently wrote a “Disassociation Note” on March 9, 2020, in which they explained that they had been members of a group called “Group of Concerned Staff Members,” namely the whistle-blowers behind the Disclosure, but that they had been “manipulated by a group of non-regional Executive Directors behind Mr (Steven) Dowd, not for the good governance of the African Bank of Development, but to discredit the candidacy of the current President for his re-election,” Mr Adesina said in his memo to the committee.

“Certainly if the Disassociation Note is to be believed, and there is no reason not to believe it, the whistle-blowers’ complaint cannot be considered to be in good faith, because it was not designed to expose fraud, corruption or other misconduct. Instead it had another ulterior motive,” he added.

Is the independent inquiry going to be conducted without the consent of other member states? All the stake holders will have to approve them.

Adeshina, cannot be a sitting president while the probe is going on, it's not the standard practice. It's unfair of us, to start twisting protocol because it affects us.

Strauss Kahn stepped down when he was accused of Abuse, and the inquiry was initiated.
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by apexx3774: 12:06pm On May 28, 2020
[color=#] 729989[/color]
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by teepain: 12:07pm On May 28, 2020
Racoon:
This is a more reason why Nigeria & Africa should take it stand & develop the continent so that these western imperialist and their collaborators will not continue to hold its to ransome with aids, grants or monetary inducements with strings attached.

In 2015, Adesina was not the candidate of the U.S as the helmsman of AfDB and it would appear as if they haven't changed their position.
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Royalfurnitures: 12:07pm On May 28, 2020
This is international politics in action and Nigeria needs to wake up to her responsibilities and save her own

Beautify your homes with our quality and durable furniture collections today

1 Like

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Temptee101(m): 12:08pm On May 28, 2020
iwaeda:

Talk for yourself and family and leave the whole Nigeria out of it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 28, 2020
baba come clean jare...no smoke without fire
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 28, 2020
I support independent probe
May God bless America
World police
How can you be a judge in your own case this is not APC pls be guided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by TheNigerianPers: 12:10pm On May 28, 2020
I very much pray and wish Adesina is innocent but everything he is being accused of are typical in Nigerian settings.

We need to look inward and change our attitude to work, stop nepotism and promote best practices.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by GeneralPula: 12:11pm On May 28, 2020
sad
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by sencekompis: 12:11pm On May 28, 2020
someone has to loose for someone to gain a bit. Better Africa will affect the west and Asia, just the way Asia gain is affecting the west. WE NEED STABILITY OF ADESINA.

1 Like

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 28, 2020
Royalfurnitures:
This is international politics in action and Nigeria needs to wake up to her responsibilities and save her own

Beautify your homes with our quality and durable furniture collections today
Ogbeni be guided
Yorubas should save there own
We are not one Bleep off

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Konskott(m): 12:12pm On May 28, 2020
16 corrupt allegations. Did you OR did you not commit the weighty offences listed in the petitions? If this is signal that your time is up, please relocate. The seat is not your father's throne.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by aaking(m): 12:13pm On May 28, 2020
iwaeda:

Since the time they are praising him ahead of his country president. Just know that someone in his country is aware of this
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Yorubasareslave: 12:14pm On May 28, 2020
Adesina is one of the few good yorubas out there. I know he will scale this hurdle.
Re: AfDB: Why My Detractors Are After Me – Adesina by Wiseonetemmy(m): 12:14pm On May 28, 2020
If what I have read on wikileaks is anything to go by, you will know Americans always have an agenda. Once they approach you and you don't do their bidding, they find ways to bring you down. I sense that's the case here.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PHOTO: Man Petitions EFCC In A Unique Way / Yahaya Bello Inspect Inland Port Being Built By FG In Kogi / How Many Leaders In Nigeria Can Do This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.