Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,783 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion (2100 Views)

10 Countries With The Largest Number Of Christians- Statisense / Does Religion Matter? / Why Does Religion Not Account For Any Other Parts Of The Universe Than Earth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 2:28pm On May 29, 2020
Jokerman:

I wish you can read the message and teaching of the Lord Jesus Christ bro... You'd find peace and hope

What teachings of Jesus Christ gives peace and hope?
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 2:31pm On May 29, 2020
kingxsamz:

Bro you nailed it.
Thanks bro.
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 2:33pm On May 29, 2020
LordReed:

Christians on NL pervert their intellect

Christians on NL twist their intelligence.
grin
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by triplechoice(m): 2:42pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

I get your point bro, honestly i do.

But, when you look at the things/traits i listed, it has more to do with personality than religion. I discuss about religion with a lot of people offline, and they don't get angry over it or start displaying childish stunts just because of mere discuss.

Those that do not know what next to say usually tell me that i need Jesus in my life, and other funny things like that, and life goes on.
Some will outrightly tell me that i want to confuse them, and so request that we should cease the discuss.
Some get angry, but I usually used the self-guilt trick of "why are you getting angry over a mere religious discuss?".

Ever since I stopped being religious, i realised that you cannot argue with a religious person, you just discuss it with them seeing as religious beliefs cannot be proved from now till eternity because if you read well enough, you must understand how and why Religious beliefs came up...at least to an extent.

But, when you come here, it's a different thing altogether. They take it too serious, and that is very dangerous.
One thing I have seen is that they don't know difference between facts and opinions. They portray opinions as facts, and when you take any of them up, trust me, you must surely see them displaying some of the trait's i listed above.

Offline people would react to your religious arguments with civility for a number of reasons.

Respect for your person due to friendship, they depend on you financially, they want to pretend to be well educated and so on.

But Nairaland is a different arena. Nobody knows you personally and due to internet disinhibition, anything can thrown at you since people can hide under the anonymousity of the forum.

This should not bother you because a religious person, just like a football, fan is usually passionate about defending his "favourite" religion.

And would come up with whatever kind of argument or stories no matter how improbable it may seem to defend their religion.

Religious people are not concerned with verifiable facts or the real truth of the matter but are more concerned with what they have been made to accept as truth.This is what they defend.

If you think you know the truth, stick with it some persons might be helped by it without you knowing it.
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by whitestar01(m): 2:45pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

Okay.
So let's talk... I may have forgotten the question you asked.

If you have the time, please do remind me.
Is there any belief that is unquestionable? If there's any, prove it to me beyond doubt and questions.
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by LordReed(m): 2:50pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

grin

Even better.
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by Jokerman(m): 2:54pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

What teachings of Jesus Christ gives peace and hope?

John 3:16....

Matthew 11:28

Read it up bro....
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 2:56pm On May 29, 2020
Jokerman:

John 3:16....

Matthew 11:28

Read it up bro....
Jokerman. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 3:09pm On May 29, 2020
whitestar01:
Is there any belief that is unquestionable? If there's any, prove it to me beyond doubt and questions.

Which of the belief below are you referring to?

Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 3:11pm On May 29, 2020
LordReed:

Even better.
Alright bro.
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by aadoiza: 5:05pm On May 29, 2020
etrange:

I am not a religious person but I think this thread would only attract those with a strong desire to prove they are intelligent (those who debate to impress and not to educate). I don't think really intelligent persons would be inclined to comment or debate on here. If you want to attract intelligent people, you'd have to express yourself intelligently. The title of this thread is tactless. Asides from being outrightly supercilious, it also sells as a glaring decoy that anyone with brains would want to ignore.

I mean, intelligent people don't go around trying to prove they are intelligent. They simply follow intelligent threads and regardless of the content of this particular thread, a title that calls on people to come and prove they are intelligent doesn't present the thread as an intelligent one. It, in fact, undersells the thread.

I could be wrong, this is just my opinion.
Brilliant!! Brilliant!! Brilliant!!

It's only Nairaland's atheists and deluded freethinkers atheist wannabes who call themselves intelligent because they don't believe in God. Jeez!
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by whitestar01(m): 5:24pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

Which of the belief below are you referring to?
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by psyco: 5:45pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

All.
You don't believe God exists do you?
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 5:47pm On May 29, 2020
whitestar01:
That means you are not asking any actual question as you are not being specific on anything.

Personal beliefs are wide and come in different varieties.
Here are personal beliefs:
- I don't know everything.
- I control my emotions.

Can you disprove any of them?
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 5:50pm On May 29, 2020
psyco:
You don't believe God exists do you?

What god are you talking about?
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by psyco: 5:54pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

What god are you talking about?
Sovereign God.
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 5:56pm On May 29, 2020
psyco:
Sovereign God.
The sovereign god doesn't have a name?
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by psyco: 6:04pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

The sovereign god doesn't have a name?
Do you believe God exists? (Yes/No)

God:-
1. (noun) The creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 6:11pm On May 29, 2020
psyco:
Do you believe God exists? (Yes/No)

God:-
1. (noun) The creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

There is no such proven thing like that. Except you are referring to your christian god Yahweh (I'm assuming you are a christian though, i may be wrong).
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by psyco: 6:16pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

There is no such proven thing like that. Except you are referring to your christian god Yahweh (I'm assuming you are a christian though, i may be wrong).

You so can't tell whether He exists or not.
And you aren't bothered?
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 6:19pm On May 29, 2020
psyco:

You so can't tell whether He exists or not.
And you aren't bothered?
Aren't you bothered whether or not Santa Claus exists?
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by psyco: 6:41pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

Aren't you bothered whether or not Santa Claus exists?
Nope, I'm not bothered. I know he don't exist and even if he does he isn't relevant to my existence. cool

Back to the topic;
since you can't tell whether God exists or not, are you bothered about it?
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by whitestar01(m): 6:43pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

That means you are not asking any actual question as you are not being specific on anything.

Personal beliefs are wide and come in different varieties.
Here are personal beliefs:
- I don't know everything.
- I control my emotions.

Can you disprove any of them?
If you really believe that you don't know everything, why are you bothered about Christianity (not really nairaland Christians) Don't you think there is something they know about that you don't? They have personal conviction on life and death based on biblical perspective. If you doubt and don't cherish their conviction then you focus on what you know because you have claimed not to know everything.

There are many type of emotions that control how we relate with people in our environment. What type of emotions are you really controlling? Real Christians are not emotional about Christianity, if you think am wrong or am brainwashed as most of you claim over what we believe, then you can wrap your head around with what you know, after all you don't know everything
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by psyco: 6:52pm On May 29, 2020
whitestar01:

Real Christians are not emotional about Christianity
I sometimes get hurt when people ignorantly insult Christianity.

My Point: Human are emotional beings, Religious folks are humans too.
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 7:13pm On May 29, 2020
psyco:
Nope, I'm not bothered. I know he don't exist and even if he does he isn't relevant to my existence. cool

Back to the topic;
since you can't tell whether God exists or not, are you bothered about it?

"Nope, I'm not bothered. I know he don't exist and even if he does, he isn't relevant to my existence."
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by whitestar01(m): 7:16pm On May 29, 2020
psyco:

I sometimes get hurt when people ignorantly insult Christianity.

My Point: Human are emotional beings, Religious folks are humans too.
if you get emotional about truth don't you think it stands to be manipulated for the sake of conviction. So because we are emotional beings we shouldn't control or pause our emotions for truth? Most Christians don't know the truth, they are just being emotional.
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 7:49pm On May 29, 2020
whitestar01:
If you really believe that you don't know everything, why are you bothered about Christianity (not really nairaland Christians) Don't you think there is something they know about that you don't? They have personal conviction on life and death based on biblical perspective. If you doubt and don't cherish their conviction then you focus on what you know because you have claimed not to know everything.

There are many type of emotions that control how we relate with people in our environment. What type of emotions are you really controlling? Real Christians are not emotional about Christianity, if you think am wrong or am brainwashed as most of you claim over what we believe, then you can wrap your head around with what you know, after all you don't know everything

You asked me to show you belief that is not questionable, and that you will disprove it. I was specific in asking you the type of belief you mean...and you pointed it out.
Now you are going back to christian belief's.
I really don't understand you, because religious beliefs was one of the belief's i asked you if it's what you mean, and you said no.

Incase you have forgotten, christian beliefs are based on a book, and presented as facts. You can't present something as fact and expect not to be questioned about it. If you cannot prove what you are saying, then it is not true.
There are a lot of abstract things which we don't see, but we know they exist because they can be proved.
- Love
- Anger
- Hatred
- Jealousy
- Hunger
- Thirst
- Thoughts
- etc
They are all abstract things we can't see with our eyes, but yet can be felt heavily by anybody.

Secondly, noone controls your emotions for you, you do. If you get angry, you chose to get angry. Even if someone curses you, slaps you, angers you, berates you, debases you and dehumanises you in every vile manner possible, whatever emotion you show afterwards is what you chose to display.
Words are just words, until you personally decide to give them meaning and interpret it anyway you like. It's as simple as that.

You should learn to have a good premises for your arguments, else you will keep on trying to justify absurdities with more ridiculous absurdities.

Regards!!!
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by whitestar01(m): 8:45pm On May 29, 2020
IamMichael:

You asked me to show you belief that is not questionable, and that you will disprove it. I was specific in asking you the type of belief you mean...and you pointed it out.
Now you are going back to christian belief's.
I really don't understand you, because religious beliefs was one of the belief's i asked you if it's what you mean, and you said no.

Incase you have forgotten, christian beliefs are based on a book, and presented as facts. You can't present something as fact and expect not to be questioned about it. If you cannot prove what you are saying, then it is not true.
There are a lot of abstract things which we don't see, but we know they exist because they can be proved.
- Love
- Anger
- Hatred
- Jealousy
- Hunger
- Thirst
- Thoughts
- etc
They are all abstract things we can't see with our eyes, but yet can be felt heavily by anybody.

Secondly, noone controls your emotions for you, you do. If you get angry, you chose to get angry. Even if someone curses you, slaps you, angers you, berates you, debases you and dehumanises you in every vile manner possible, whatever emotion you show afterwards is what you chose to display.
Words are just words, until you personally decide to give them meaning and interpret it anyway you like. It's as simple as that.

You should learn to have a good premises for your arguments, else you will keep on trying to justify absurdities with more ridiculous absurdities.

Regards!!!
one of the problem of free thinking isabsurdism. Why not get straight to the point of what you believe about life, but you run around the circles of words instead?
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by MasterJayJay: 9:09pm On May 29, 2020
He modified the title.

Atheists roaming around the religion section are very boring. You should have used your time to discuss with apes your cousins according to evolution theory.
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 9:30pm On May 29, 2020
whitestar01:
one of the problem of free thinking isabsurdism. Why not get straight to the point of what you believe about life, but you run around the circles of words instead?

What are you even talking about? What is your point exactly?
Seems like at every point, you divert to something else entirely. What exactly is your point?
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by psyco: 9:31pm On May 29, 2020
whitestar01:
if you get emotional about truth don't you think it stands to be manipulated for the sake of conviction. So because we are emotional beings we shouldn't control or pause our emotions for truth? Most Christians don't know the truth, they are just being emotional.
These are two different things.
Emotions != Manipulation

I was taking about the first one.
Re: Why does Religion Pervert and Twist the Intellect of Christians - An Opinion by IamMichael(m): 9:36pm On May 29, 2020

Lol... After running away from the first page, he is here again.

Why not go and ride flying horses or sing Kumbaya to your god instead of running around Nairaland showing the whole world how unintelligent you are.

Except you are looking for a second whooping!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet Some Women At Home And In The Presence Of Their Pastors (Pictured) / Which Church Do You Attend / Pastor Peter Kayode's Story - True Or False?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.